Transcript 09/11/08 - Ellene Weber

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/11/08 - Ellene Weber

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:13 am

Ellene Weber
Minneapolis, MN
Cocktail waitress

Ellene was kind of mad watching Eric Cunningham win $100,000 yesterday, because she knew most of the answers, including the final one about Minneapolis.

Ellene was diagnosed with lymphoma four years ago. She's doing great.

This is an experiment with the transcript format. Instead of listing the answers at the bottom of the transcript, answers (along with the remaining clock time in seconds) will appear in a spoiler below each question. Your comments are welcome!

Question Topics:
* Cause of Death
* Opera
* Elections
* Muscles
* Classic TV
* U.S. Presidents
* American Idol
* African Geography
* The Oscars
* Periodicals
* Famous Nicknames
* Agriculture
* Appliances
* Sports
* Health Care

$100
Patients typically see a doctor for fertility treatment when they want to do what?

A: Lose weight B: Grow hair
C: Get pregnant D: Move to the suburbs
Spoiler
C: Get pregnant (5)

$200
"Swing batter batter swing!" is a familiar taunt from what sport?

A: Baseball B: Ice hockey
C: Tennis D: Soccer
Spoiler
A: Baseball ( 8 )

$300
Room size, sun exposure and ceiling height are all factors to consider when selecting a what?

A: Air conditioner B: Vacuum cleaner
C: Microwave oven D: Washing machine

With 5 seconds left, Ellene asks the audience.

ATA: A: 95% B: 1% C: 2% D: 2%
Spoiler
A: Air conditioner (4)

$500
The U.S.D.A. uses the official terms "broiler," "fryer" and "roaster" to classify different types of what?

A: Eggs B: Ears of corn
C: Potatoes D: Chickens
Spoiler
D: Chickens (9)

$1,000
A fondness for movie westerns earned Motown singer William Robinson what well-known nickname?

A: Sundance B: The Kid
C: Smokey D: Ringo
Spoiler
C: Smokey (9)

-- Commercial Break --

Ellene is the mother of three teenage boys; they watch the game every night. Ellene's friend, Heidi, is in the audience.

Bill Nye is introduced as Ellene's Ask The Expert lifeline.

$2,000
The magazine "Decanter" promotes itself as the "bible" for collectors and connoisseurs of what?

A: Fine art B: Cigars
C: Automobiles D: Wine
Spoiler
D: Wine (22)

$4,000
In a 2008 Oscar speech, what actor joked that their award-winning role had required "one of the most horrible haircuts in history"?

A: Tilda Swinton B: Javier Bardem
C: Daniel Day-Lewis D: Marion Cotillard
Spoiler
B: Javier Bardem (19)

$8,000
Darfur is located in what African country?

A: Angola B: Nigeria
C: Somalia D: Sudan

With 9 seconds left, Ellene decides to phone a friend. Her PAF team are Lloyd, Fridley, MN; Stuart, Minneapolis, MN; and Jim, Maple Grove, MN.

Ellene chooses to call her dad, Lloyd. She reads the question and answers, then repeats them at Lloyd's request.

Ellene: Ten seconds. Eight seconds!

Lloyd: Somalia!

Ellene: Somalia? Are you sure? 100%?

Lloyd: Uhhh...yes.

Ellene goes with her dad's answer and falls to $1,000.
Spoiler
D: Sudan (7)

Ellene: Oh, no! And that was my choice. I was gonna say Sudan!

-- Commercial Break --

Edited to fix typos.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 09/11/08 - Ellene Weber

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:27 am

$4K: I couldn't remember if it was Bardem or Day-Lewis. ATA.

And we get our first PAF dursting of the season.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:42 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:And we get our first PAF dursting of the season.
If not for the clock, she might have convinced herself of the correct answer without needing lifeline.

I'd have needed the ATA on the Oscar question.

rgcviper

New transcript format

#4 Post by rgcviper » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:04 am

The new transcript format, with the answers in spoilers after each question, is great. Knowing the answers to the questions as I go, versus waiting until the end for all, is a noted improvement. I hope to see this format continue in the future.

trevor_macfee

#5 Post by trevor_macfee » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:29 am

Since Millionaire no longer airs in Balitmore, the transcripts are my only way to keep up with the show. The new format - with answers in spoiler space after each question - allows me to "play along" much more easily than the old way.

I think it's a great change.

Rafferbee

#6 Post by Rafferbee » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:17 am

I like this way better, too. As a fellow deprived Baltimorean this way its easier for me to see the answer to a single question and play along.

15QuestionsAway

#7 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Sorry, I really dislike this format. I much prefer the answers summarized at the bottom.

If I end up being in the minority, perhaps the transcript can be restored to the answers at the bottom format once it's moved into the other forum topic.

Please don't take this as lack of appreciation on my part for the transcript team's hard work. I can see it's now especially challenging with all of the new information to capture.

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:34 pm

And still no one is interrupting Meredith to save a few seconds. The comic on Wednesday (?) was best, just saying the letter and final most of the time, but even he let Meredith finish.

Jay, you say that the players can interrupt. Did you? Did you see anyone do it during the taping you watched?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#9 Post by frogman042 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:47 pm

gsabc wrote:And still no one is interrupting Meredith to save a few seconds. The comic on Wednesday (?) was best, just saying the letter and final most of the time, but even he let Meredith finish.

Jay, you say that the players can interrupt. Did you? Did you see anyone do it during the taping you watched?
Since the shows I saw haven't aired yet, I will withhold any comments on them.

Hope everyone understands.

---Jay

slam

#10 Post by slam » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm reserving judgement on the format changes until I get a bit more comfortable with them. However, I do think that Bill Nye was an excellent choice for the leadoff "expert". He seems to have a decent knowledge of the type of information useful on the show. He's also taking the show seriously and genuinely wants to help the contestant (though I'd expect all experts to have that attitude). Moreover, he seems good at conveying to the contestant his confidence in the response that he chooses.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:43 am

slam wrote:However, I do think that Bill Nye was an excellent choice for the leadoff "expert".
I'm guessing he may be the best "celebrity" expert we see in a long time. Not counting the past champions, of course, who are in a class of their own!

We'll see...

Kazoo65

#12 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:10 pm

I would also need help with the Oscar question. ATA here.

I knew the answer to the Darfur question. I think if she didn't have a clock ticking, she might have been able to get the right answer-maybe using Double Dip.

I don't think the clock is gonna be useful. It will probably produce lots of results like the other day-where the contestant is under pressure to come up with an answer (any answer from the choices) and say "final". At least before, you could think about your choice for as long as you wanted to before having to make that ultimate decision.
I'm just a game show nerd.

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Ellene Weber
Minneapolis, MN
Cocktail waitress
Which puts her in the WE® (What Else?) category.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000
A fondness for movie westerns earned Motown singer William Robinson what well-known nickname?

A: Sundance B: The Kid
C: Smokey D: Ringo
I'm not sure why the equation between "movie Westerns" and "Smokey".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000
In a 2008 Oscar speech, what actor joked that their award-winning role had required "one of the most horrible haircuts in history"?

A: Tilda Swinton B: Javier Bardem
C: Daniel Day-Lewis D: Marion Cotillard
Time to use ATA for me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000
Darfur is located in what African country?

A: Angola B: Nigeria
C: Somalia D: Sudan

With 9 seconds left, Ellene decides to phone a friend. Her PAF team are Lloyd, Fridley, MN; Stuart, Minneapolis, MN; and Jim, Maple Grove, MN.

Ellene chooses to call her dad, Lloyd. She reads the question and answers, then repeats them at Lloyd's request.

Ellene: Ten seconds. Eight seconds!

Lloyd: Somalia!

Ellene: Somalia? Are you sure? 100%?

Lloyd: Uhhh...yes.

Ellene goes with her dad's answer and falls to $1,000.
Spoiler
D: Sudan (7)

Ellene: Oh, no! And that was my choice. I was gonna say Sudan!
Should have gone with your first instincts, Ellene.

As for the new format for the transcripts, my opinion depends upon whether I'm just viewing them or actually doing them. As a viewer I think it's a nice idea (saves scrolling to the bottom of the screen), but as a transcriber I'm guessing it's a lot harder.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Ellene Weber
Minneapolis, MN
Cocktail waitress
Which puts her in the WE® (What Else?) category.
Waitressing may give her lots of practice dealing with the public, but it's not really part of the entertainment industry, so I wouldn't call her a What Else.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:47 am

earendel wrote: As for the new format for the transcripts, my opinion depends upon whether I'm just viewing them or actually doing them. As a viewer I think it's a nice idea (saves scrolling to the bottom of the screen), but as a transcriber I'm guessing it's a lot harder.
Do you write each transcript from scratch? I use a template file, with amounts for each question, the A: B: C: D: for the choices, etc. When I type up each transcript, I start by doing a "save as" to copy all this into a new file.

It's pretty easy to set up the [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler] tag lines in this template, and then just copy and paste the correct answers into those, just as I used to copy and paste to the answer list at the bottom of the file. And if there's a demand for the old-fashioned list of answers at the bottom, it's not much harder to paste the answers into both places.

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:42 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: As for the new format for the transcripts, my opinion depends upon whether I'm just viewing them or actually doing them. As a viewer I think it's a nice idea (saves scrolling to the bottom of the screen), but as a transcriber I'm guessing it's a lot harder.
Do you write each transcript from scratch? I use a template file, with amounts for each question, the A: B: C: D: for the choices, etc. When I type up each transcript, I start by doing a "save as" to copy all this into a new file.

It's pretty easy to set up the [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler] tag lines in this template, and then just copy and paste the correct answers into those, just as I used to copy and paste to the answer list at the bottom of the file. And if there's a demand for the old-fashioned list of answers at the bottom, it's not much harder to paste the answers into both places.
I do have a template that I use, and once I get it set up I'm sure it won't be that much more difficult than putting the answers at the bottom. I do think that the transcriptionists do need to be consistent as to how we do the transcripts.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."