Transcript 5/22/2009 - Andrew Gambardella

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Re: Transcript 5/22/2009 - Andrew Gambardella

#26 Post by frogman042 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:35 pm

lv42day wrote:Wwtbam seems to have a 6.5 million dollar a year budget. I think if they forced people to answer/guess until $25,000, they will go over budget. And you know the old saying about blood and turnips....
I don't get your reasoning - it seems the opposite would be the case, that they would pay out much less.

From what I understand is being suggested, is that you couldn't walk until you got to the 25K question. That means if you missed (or with TDC time ran out) you would drop to 1K if you missed any of the mid-tier questions. Some may get lucky and get the answer to a question where they would normally walk but others would miss it. Even assuming a 50/50 chance of getting the 25K question right where the constestant would normaly had walked with 16K. If you have 2 such contestants, one gets it and one misses. Without this rule BAM pays 32K since both would have walked on the 25K question, banking their 16K, but now they have to answer or drop to 1K. One gets it and the other misses - BAM payout 26K. If you use the 1 in 4 success rate (since there are 4 choices) and 4 contestants who would have walked at 16K, then currently BAM would pay out 64K, but if forced to answer the 25K and only one right answer, their payout for the 4 contestants is a mere 28K (1 25K and 3 1K winner - this assumes that the 25K winner misses the 50K - not a bad assumption given the difficultly level of most 50K questions) - so under current rules - BAM pays 64K, and the proposed modification they pay 28K - BAM saves 36K - so if anything this proposal saves the production company a huge amount of money in my opinion.

If, the proposal was that they can walk with 16K as long as they see the 25K question but aren't forced to go for it - given the limited number of people who walk with 8K or less - it's hard to imagine that would have any real effect on the budget.

---Jay

lv42day

Re: Transcript 5/22/2009 - Andrew Gambardella

#27 Post by lv42day » Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 pm

You argued your case well frogman, if odds and probabilities were the only consideration. But I think there are many contestants that would have answered questions correctly if only they were forced to do so (e.g. Andrew Gambardella). But with the pressure of losing several thousands looming, many people, I believe quit prematurely. So that is why I think they might run over budget with the proposed new rule.