Thousandaire!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Thousandaire!

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 am

What's the translation of the text in your new avatar?

Thousandaire

Re: Thousandaire!

#2 Post by Thousandaire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:27 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:What's the translation of the text in your new avatar?
"On everyone's lips, black in white."

It's an ad for ice cream; the bottom part of it is cut off because the create avatar program makes the picture square.

wintergreen48

#3 Post by wintergreen48 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Thousandaire wrote:

It's an ad for ice cream; the bottom part of it is cut off because the create avatar program makes the picture square.
Well, not quite. 'Black in white' would be Чёрное в Белом.

What Темное в Белом actually means is something more along the lines of 'dark and white.' And what is kind of, um, suggestive of certain things is that in Russian, the word Тёмный has a couple of implications: besides 'dark' (the most common meaning), it also means something that is vague, or hazy, or unclear (as in 'in the dark' about something), which is how some might describe a certain prominent political leader's political positions; but Тёмный also has a kind of slang meaning, it refers to someone who is ill-informed or ignorant (not necessarily someone 'stupid,' the sense is more 'uneducated' than 'stupid'), which does not describe a certain prominent political leader (who has multiple degrees from Ivy League universities); depending upon who says it, it could be taken as an insulting stereotype (dumb Americans, or dumb certain types of Americans).

So the real meaning of the phrase Темное в Белом would depend upon who is using it, and in what context: Russky Limbov (or whoever their top talk show guy is) would mean something different when he says it than would, say, Timsky Russert (or whoever their equivalent guy is).
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

Thousandaire

#4 Post by Thousandaire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Like I said, it's an ad for ice cream, so in context it refers to chocolate and vanilla. Any other reading is entirely up to the reader.

What I like is they use the Capitol building instead of the White House. Maybe they know something we don't.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:18 pm

Thousandaire wrote:What I like is they use the Capitol building instead of the White House. Maybe they know something we don't.
Yeah, Pravda and Russian ice cream ads are the two best sources for U.S. political news. Clearly.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Thousandaire wrote:Like I said, it's an ad for ice cream, so in context it refers to chocolate and vanilla. Any other reading is entirely up to the reader.

What I like is they use the Capitol building instead of the White House. Maybe they know something we don't.
I'm just curious about all of the rainbows over the Capitol. As most everybody knows, the rainbow has often been associated with those of the homosexual persuasion. I know there are a few legislators in Washington who are openly gay (Barney Frank and Jared Polis) and many who are obviously gay but in the closet (David Dreier, Lindsey Graham, Herb Kohl, Barbara Mikulski, etc) or in the stall (you know who)... but maybe all of those rainbows indicate that something more is going on behind those cloak room doors.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#7 Post by sunflower » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Wow, you guys are trying to read a lot into a foreign ice cream ad!!!

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:38 pm

Thousandaire wrote:Like I said, it's an ad for ice cream, so in context it refers to chocolate and vanilla. Any other reading is entirely up to the reader.

Some people may be making assumptions that reveal their own biases. I just assumed that it was supposed to be Kendrick Meek of Florida.

Thousandaire

#9 Post by Thousandaire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:55 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

I'm just curious about all of the rainbows over the Capitol. As most everybody knows, the rainbow has often been associated with those of the homosexual persuasion. I know there are a few legislators in Washington who are openly gay (Barney Frank and Jared Polis) and many who are obviously gay but in the closet (David Dreier, Lindsey Graham, Herb Kohl, Barbara Mikulski, etc) or in the stall (you know who)... but maybe all of those rainbows indicate that something more is going on behind those cloak room doors.
That, or Kermit the Frog is running the country.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#10 Post by sunflower » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:03 pm

LarryCraig
Merry Man

#11 Post by LarryCraig » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

What happens in the cloak room, stays in the cloak room.
Who Wants to Eat a Super Tuber?

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:33 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
Thousandaire wrote:

What Темное в Белом actually means is something more along the lines of 'dark and white.' And what is kind of, um, suggestive of certain things is that in Russian, the word Тёмный has a couple of implications: besides 'dark' (the most common meaning), it also means something that is vague, or hazy, or unclear (as in 'in the dark' about something), which is how some might describe a certain prominent political leader's political positions; but Тёмный also has a kind of slang meaning, it refers to someone who is ill-informed or ignorant (not necessarily someone 'stupid,' the sense is more 'uneducated' than 'stupid'), which does not describe a certain prominent political leader (who has multiple degrees from Ivy League universities); depending upon who says it, it could be taken as an insulting stereotype (dumb Americans, or dumb certain types of Americans).

So the real meaning of the phrase Темное в Белом would depend upon who is using it, and in what context: Russky Limbov (or whoever their top talk show guy is) would mean something different when he says it than would, say, Timsky Russert (or whoever their equivalent guy is).
My translation is "dark in white".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

DevilKitty100

#13 Post by DevilKitty100 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:
Thousandaire wrote: "On everyone's lips, black in white."

My translation is "dark in white".
Well! I'm certainly glad we got THAT settled. This thread was starting to bore me.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 pm

DevilKitty100 wrote:Well! I'm certainly glad we got THAT settled. This thread was starting to bore me.
Oh, come on!

Where else could you go and find a conversation about the subtle translations and connotations of a Russian ice cream ad featuring a cartoon image of the President? :mrgreen:

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#15 Post by sunflower » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
DevilKitty100 wrote:Well! I'm certainly glad we got THAT settled. This thread was starting to bore me.
Oh, come on!

Where else could you go and find a conversation about the subtle translations and connotations of a Russian ice cream ad featuring a cartoon image of the President? :mrgreen:
Hopefully, nowhere...

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Thousandaire wrote:... the bottom part of it is cut off because the create avatar program makes the picture square.
You can use the same site to make an avatar, yet preserve the original relative dimensions of the picture. The link in the Sticky-noted page brings up the "create avatar" page of the shrinkpictures website. It makes all avatars square by truncating part of the picture.

On the upper left corner of that page are links to additional pages. The "resize" page is much better for creating avatars. Our board has a limit of 200 x 200 pixels, so your avatar can be no taller nor wider than that.

For landscape-oriented (wider than tall) photos:
In the Steps 1-5 box, do the following steps:
1) Choose Picture or Photo to Shrink: Browse for (or enter) the location of the original photo
2) Select New Maximum Image dimension: Click the radio button for "Custom" and enter "200"
5) Press the "Resize" button

For portrait-oriented (taller than wide) photos:
In the Steps 1-5 box, do the following steps:
0) Calculate (or estimate) the ratio between the width and height. For example, if you preview the photo and it displays at 7" wide and 10" tall, your ratio is 70%. Double that to 140. This means that you will enter "140" below, and the picture will reduce to 140 x 200 pixels, which is allowable as an avatar on the Bored.
1) Choose Picture or Photo to Shrink: Browse for (or enter) the location of the original photo
2) Select New Maximum Image dimension: Click the radio button for "Custom" and enter the (doubled) number you calculated in Step (0) above. This entry always represents the width of the created picture.
5) Press the "Resize" button
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx