Transcript 6/10/09: George Soltis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/10/09: George Soltis

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 pm

George Soltis
Schenectady, NY

There is no banter before starting George's run. His category tree:

The Circle of Life
Break a Leg!
Know Your Lines
Athletic Venues
Fill 'Er Up!
Better Known As
Worldwide Wagering
Great Men
Table Talk
Sold American
Humorous Quotes
The Big Apple
Pop Sensations
Colonial Times
Talking Bears

$100 (Talking Bears): The kids' story "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" features bears who famously shout, "Someone's been sleeping in my" what?
A. Tub B. Bed
C. Wagon D. Prius

(N.B.: Shaun's delivery of the answers is still very slow, although she finished with about 11 seconds on the clock for this answer.)
Spoiler
B. Bed (8)
$200 (Colonial Times): In the 1790s, angry colonial farmers staged a series of attacks known as the Whiskey Rebellion to protest a tax on what?
A. Livestock B. Alcohol
C. Fruits and vegetables D. Ammunition
Spoiler
B. Alcohol (8)
$300 (Pop Sensations): In 2008, what reality show did country singer Kellie Pickler refer to as "the rocket that launched my career"?
A. American Idol B. Project Runway
C. The Biggest Loser D. Survivor

George looks confused, and decides to ATA (4 seconds remaining). Their results:
ATA Results
A. American Idol - 94%
B. Project Runway - 1%
C. The Biggest Loser - 2%
D. Survivor - 3%
Spoiler
A. American Idol (3)
$500 (The Big Apple): Which of these famous New York City streets is best known as the home of the New York Stock Exchange?
A. Broadway B. Wall Street
C. Park Avenue D. Fifth Avenue
Spoiler
B. Wall Street (9)
$1,000 (Humorous Quotes): Of what plant did humorist Dave Barry once write, "there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons"?
A. Bamboo B. Aloe
C. Eucalyptus D. Crabgrass
Spoiler
D. Crabgrass (8)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

George has five daughters (and they show a picture), who are waiting at home.

Now that George has $1,000, he's earned the ATE lifeline, with today's expert, $100,000 winner Tom Spencer.

$2,000 (Sold American): In 1963, entrepreneur Mary Kay Ash launched a business famous for selling what?
A. Cosmetics B. Steak knives
C. Cleaning products D. Tupperware
Spoiler
A. Cosmetics (23)
$4,000 (Table Talk): Someone who is dining "alfresco" is, by definition, eating a meal how?
A. At home B. Alone
C. With wine D. Outside
Spoiler
D. Outside (24)
$8,000 (Great Men): William, Edward and Burghardt are the first three names of a renouned African-American scholar with what last name?
A. Douglass B. Garvey
C. Du Bois D. Hughes

George chooses to ATE (21). Tom immediately says
Spoiler
W.E.B. DuBois, C.
, although Shaun tells him that his tie-dye shirt may be throwing them off. He still gives a confidence level of "152%".
Spoiler
C. Du Bois (19)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Shaun remarks to George that he can take his $8,000 and spread it among his five daughters at home, to which George replies, "I could..." George says that his second daughter, Carrie, may have given him the best advice (although he thinks he blew it already) when she told him, "Don't be stupid, and don't blow it!"

George has been married 31 years. He also reports that, when the producers called him for information prior to his appearance, he was worried it was a scam, so he "*69'ed 'em, and did a reverse directory check...they appeared to be legitimate."

$16,000 (Worldwide Wagering): Where is Macao, the gambling capital of the world?
A. Northern Brazil C. Southern China
C. Northern Africa D. Southern France

George considers the question, but decides to PAF (15). Standing by are: his wife, Rosemary, an assitant middle-school principal (Schenectady, NY); his brother-in-law, Thomas (Wilmington, DE); and his other brother-in-law, Scott (Beach Haven Park, NJ). George elects to call Thomas.

George simply asks, "Where is Macao" and spells it. Scott prompts for the choices, and George gives them (17 seconds remain). Scott is seemingly trying to Google it, but after a 10-second warning from George, asks, "Are you getting a good vibe on any of 'em?" as time runs out.

As the question clock ticks down, George makes a decision and gives
Spoiler
A
as his final answer. It is incorrect, and George leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
B. Southern China (5)

(Ed. Note: It's a quick ferry-ride from Hong Kong.)

hanzz

Re: Transcript 6/10/09: George Soltis

#2 Post by hanzz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Mmm, now see, here's what bothered me. The Double Dip lifeline is the only lifeline which I would understand if a contestant left on the table when they walked away. I Mean, you are forced to answer the question, so there is no walking away. However, what bothered me was that instead of doing so, George went ahead and risked it, not having a clue and not doing anything to maximize his chances of getting it right. Too bad. Seemed like a nice guy.

And, if Tom Spencer posts on here, then I am very sorry for what I"m about to say. Thanks to my iPod touch Millionaire game, I hate him. But not him-him. I have had him (or should I Say, I have had the CPU place his picture on my screen) as my expert like 5 times now, and 3 of those times when I go to him for help, I just get a lousy "0%. No clue." I KNOW IT'S NOT YOU TOM. But, grr, it's your face I see and it just rubs my craw the wrong way every time.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:53 am

Nihil obstat®

KillerTomato

#4 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:44 am

Actually, I was under the impression (and maybe one of the folks from here who is one of the iPhone game version experts can correct me if I'm wrong) that they actually did ask each of these people the questions, so in effect it IS Tom, and not some random collection of bits that you should be mad at. Judging from the questions that I've used the ATE lifeline on when I play it, I think it's possible that this is the case...some of Ogi's comments are very Ogi-esque for instance.

hanzz wrote:Mmm, now see, here's what bothered me. The Double Dip lifeline is the only lifeline which I would understand if a contestant left on the table when they walked away. I Mean, you are forced to answer the question, so there is no walking away. However, what bothered me was that instead of doing so, George went ahead and risked it, not having a clue and not doing anything to maximize his chances of getting it right. Too bad. Seemed like a nice guy.

And, if Tom Spencer posts on here, then I am very sorry for what I"m about to say. Thanks to my iPod touch Millionaire game, I hate him. But not him-him. I have had him (or should I Say, I have had the CPU place his picture on my screen) as my expert like 5 times now, and 3 of those times when I go to him for help, I just get a lousy "0%. No clue." I KNOW IT'S NOT YOU TOM. But, grr, it's your face I see and it just rubs my craw the wrong way every time.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 am

How did this guy get on the show? I'm surprised he passed the test, but how did he ever pass the audition?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:00 am

Bob Juch wrote:How did this guy get on the show? I'm surprised he passed the test, but how did he ever pass the audition?
I don't know, but I'm pissed. :evil:

15QuestionsAway

#7 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 am

KillerTomato wrote:Actually, I was under the impression (and maybe one of the folks from here who is one of the iPhone game version experts can correct me if I'm wrong) that they actually did ask each of these people the questions, so in effect it IS Tom, and not some random collection of bits that you should be mad at. Judging from the questions that I've used the ATE lifeline on when I play it, I think it's possible that this is the case...some of Ogi's comments are very Ogi-esque for instance.
You are correct, sir. We were asked all of the iPhone questions.

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 am

Why are they using $100,000 winners as experts? Does this guy have some other pull to get the gig? Seriously? 100K?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am

tlynn78 wrote:Why are they using $100,000 winners as experts? Does this guy have some other pull to get the gig? Seriously? 100K?

t.
Is he a 100K winner from CindyBAM? On CindyBAM 100K is reaching up into the lofty heights of success on the show...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:George Soltis
Schenectady, NY

There is no banter before starting George's run.
Good!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (Pop Sensations): In 2008, what reality show did country singer Kellie Pickler refer to as "the rocket that launched my career"?
A. American Idol B. Project Runway
C. The Biggest Loser D. Survivor

George looks confused, and decides to ATA (4 seconds remaining). Their results:
ATA Results
A. American Idol - 94%
B. Project Runway - 1%
C. The Biggest Loser - 2%
D. Survivor - 3%
Spoiler
A. American Idol (3)
George must have had a quick instance of Hotseatitis.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000 (Humorous Quotes): Of what plant did humorist Dave Barry once write, "there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons"?
A. Bamboo B. Aloe
Spoiler
D. Crabgrass (8)
I was expecting "kudzu" to be the answer.

Nihil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:29 am

Bob Juch wrote:How did this guy get on the show? I'm surprised he passed the test, but how did he ever pass the audition?
That's a very good question. As I watched him, I kept thinking, "Marley is gonna really <grumble>® about this guy. He seemed "personality challenged" to me, a lot like how Marley describes himself.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:32 am

earendel wrote:
That's a very good question. As I watched him, I kept thinking, "Marley is gonna really <grumble>® about this guy. He seemed "personality challenged" to me, a lot like how Marley describes himself.
Exactly! That's why I had to sneak in through the back door.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

takinover

#13 Post by takinover » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:03 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $1,000 (Humorous Quotes): Of what plant did humorist Dave Barry once write, "there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons"?
A. Bamboo B. Aloe
Spoiler
D. Crabgrass (8)
I ATA on this one.
tlynn78 wrote:
Why are they using $100,000 winners as experts? Does this guy have some other pull to get the gig? Seriously? 100K?
I don't know. M. Davies is in love with Tom (not in a sexual way, as contestant). They got some people from Season 1 who won $250K who are far more interesting than Tom. They also use a $1K winner who wrote a book on trivia.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:55 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Why are they using $100,000 winners as experts? Does this guy have some other pull to get the gig? Seriously? 100K?

t.
Is he a 100K winner from CindyBAM? On CindyBAM 100K is reaching up into the lofty heights of success on the show...
Yes, Tom was a SyndieBAM contestant. He followed ging into the Hot Seat for the first episode of the 2005-2006 season. Then he joined some of us at a local bar for some post-taping celebration. :)

And, yes, $100K has become the new $500K, with $250K being the new $1 million. :|