Transcript 6/24/09: Chet Greenleaf

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/24/09: Chet Greenleaf

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Chet Greenleaf
Ridgewood, NJ
Retired Middle-School Teacher

Meredith accidently knocked Chet's glasses off as he tried to get into the Hot Seat. She apologized, saying she was blinded by his handsomeness, to which Chet replied that she was one of the prettiest women on television. Chet attributes his youthful vitality to teaching 7th and 8th graders. All the cultural changes, new music, new fashion, etc. helped him stay young...especially the short skirts.

His category tree:

Brainiacs
Bartlett's
TV Commercials
Far and Wide
Thomas Jefferson
All in the Family
Turn! Turn! Turn!
America on Film
Do the Math
Under the Sun
Sandra Bullock
Dining Out
Songs You Know
Hang Ten
Don't Be Crabby!

$100 (Don't Be Crabby!): Which of these crabs is named for the fact that it often appears to be playing a musical instrument?
A. Spider crab B. Fiddler crab
C. Hermit crab D. Eddie Van Halen crab
Spoiler
B. Fiddler crab (7)
$200 (Hang Ten): A popular tourist spot in Australia, Surfers Paradise is a town that gets its name because it is located where?
A. In the middle of a desert B. Atop a volcano
C. Within a jungle D. Along a coastline
Spoiler
D. Along a coastline (8)
$300 (Songs You Know): In a common celebratory song, what lyric follows "For he's a jolly good fellow"?
A. Which nobody can deny B. On that we all agree
C. There's no mistaking it D. You can say that again
Spoiler
A. Which nobody can deny (3)
$500 (Dining Out): Waiters will often inquire, "Flat or sparkling?" when asking patrons to specify their choice of what?
A. Water B. Coffee
C. Silverware D. Butter
Spoiler
A. Water (11)
$1,000 (Sandra Bullock): In what movie does Sandra Bullock's character warn, "I'm not gonna parade around in a swimsuit like some airhead bimbo"?
A. Speed B. A Time to Kill
C. Miss Congeniality D. Crash
Spoiler
C. Miss Congeniality (7)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Chet's wife, Doris, is in the relationship chair. Chet and Doris have two children and two grandchildren. His granddaughter, Isabella, is particularly excited that he's on the show, because she watches the show when Chet and Doris babysit. She can read (she's 7), and does her best to answer the questions, and does OK with a few of them -- with help from Doris.

$2,000 (Under the Sun): Which of the following is an accurate description of a person with what is playfully known as a "farmer's tan"?
A. Pale arms, pale face B. Pale chest, tan arms
C. Pale calves, tan thighs, D. Pale face, tan chest
Spoiler
B. Pale chest, tan arms (15)
THE HORN SOUNDS.

Chet will return tomorrow to go for $4,000 with all of his lifelines remaining.

earendel

Re: Transcript 6/24/09: Chet Greenleaf

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chet Greenleaf
Ridgewood, NJ
He's a WE®. I know this because there was a story about Ridgewood on NPR this morning and it talked about a lot of unemployed stock brokers and other financial types living there and riding the train into NYC. He's also a teacher (retired), so I root for him.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith accidently knocked Chet's glasses off as he tried to get into the Hot Seat. She apologized, saying she was blinded by his handsomeness, to which Chet replied that she was one of the prettiest women on television. Chet attributes his youthful vitality to teaching 7th and 8th graders. All the cultural changes, new music, new fashion, etc. helped him stay young...especially the short skirts.
Chet, you dirty old man! :mrgreen:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (Songs You Know): In a common celebratory song, what lyric follows "For he's a jolly good fellow"?
A. Which nobody can deny B. On that we all agree
C. There's no mistaking it D. You can say that again
Spoiler
A. Which nobody can deny (3)
Well, only the third iteration of that line.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Dining Out): Waiters will often inquire, "Flat or sparkling?" when asking patrons to specify their choice of what?
A. Water B. Coffee
C. Silverware D. Butter
Spoiler
A. Water (11)
Maybe in fancy restaurants back east they do, but around here it's just water.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000 (Sandra Bullock): In what movie does Sandra Bullock's character warn, "I'm not gonna parade around in a swimsuit like some airhead bimbo"?
A. Speed B. A Time to Kill
C. Miss Congeniality D. Crash
Spoiler
C. Miss Congeniality (7)
The only reason I know this is that the movie was shown on the flight to Germany that I took when I worked over there a few years ago.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chet's wife, Doris, is in the relationship chair. Chet and Doris have two children and two grandchildren. His granddaughter, Isabella, is particularly excited that he's on the show, because she watches the show when Chet and Doris babysit. She can read (she's 7), and does her best to answer the questions, and does OK with a few of them -- with help from Doris.
Well at age 7 I would hope she was able to read.

Nihil obstat®. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:11 am

$2,000 (Under the Sun): Which of the following is an accurate description of a person with what is playfully known as a "farmer's tan"?
A shout out to MAWGs everywhere!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:56 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
A shout out to MAWGs everywhere!

Middle Aged White Gardeners?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:52 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chet Greenleaf
Ridgewood, NJ
WE®, but he's a former teacher. We always root for teachers®.

So far, so good for me.