PT-WWTBAM Transcript: Brad Abbey (8/9/09)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

PT-WWTBAM Transcript: Brad Abbey (8/9/09)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:25 pm

“From the studio where it all began ten years ago…this is the return of Millionaire!”

After a montage of big winners over the past 10 years (freeze-frame if you want to try and recognize anyone!), in comes Regis to wild applause!

Regis: “I actually have been standing right here in this spot in the darkness for the past five years…waiting for the lights to go on!” More applause.

The First 10th Anniversary Ring of Fire ™

Brad Abbey- Tampa, FL
Kristin Williams- Cedar Hills, UT
Stephanie Millien- Baldwin, NY
Gary Cousins- Flint, MI
Linda Sweeney- Acworth, GA
Rob Placek- Alliance, NE
Ralph Cambeis- Brooklyn, NY
Teresa Reitmeyer- Danville, PA
Neil Schwartz- West Bloomfield, MI
Jessica Gerber- Fairfield, CT

First 10th-Anniversary Fastest Finger Question (first since 2004)

Put these tabloid-style White House couples in the order in which they occupied the White House, starting with the earliest:

A- Abrahary B- Billary
C- Frankleanor D- Roncy
Spoiler
ACDB
And the winner is:

Brad Abbey- 5.25 s
Stephanie Millien-
Linda Sweeney-
Ralph Cambeis-
Neil Schwartz-
Jessica Gerber- 9.21 s
Teresa Reitmeyer- 11.78 s
Rob Placek-
Gary Cousins- 8.36 s
Kristin Williams- 8.29 s

Brad Abbey- 25 years old, Tampa, FL (Selection method: Road Audition, Tampa, FL)

Brad is an unemployed commercial banker who now works in a carnival. He supervises the games, and “moves about a thousand Teddy Bears a day.”

Categories:

*A Few Words
*Books in Books
*Body Chemistry
*Lost
*The End of Town
*Buzz!
*QWERTY
*Final Chapter
*Songs the Same
*Otto
*You Might Say
*Bumper Stickers
*Let’s Go Nuts
*Color Wheel
*Big Winners

Tonight’s expert is ABC News Correspondent Sam Donaldson.

$100- Big Winners

Which Oscar-winning film of 2008 features the line “You have three lifelines…Ask the Audience, 50/50, and Phone a Friend”?

A- The Dark Knight B- Slumdog Millionaire
C- Milk D- The Curious Case of Regis’ Hair

Following the answers and audience chuckles, Regis needs to remind Brad that there are only four seconds left!
Spoiler
B- Slumdog Millionaire (1), and Brad avoids becoming a Damn Clock Llama by one second!
$200- Color Wheel

Which of these Crayola Crayon colors takes its name from a lyric in the song “America the Beautiful”?

A- Purple Mountain’s Majesty B- Wild Watermelon
C- Mountain Meadow D- Robin’s Egg Blue

With 3 seconds left on TDC, Brad uses his Ask the Audience lifeline. Regis mentions that there are 79 former Hot Seaters in today’s audience, who have won a combined total of $6,575,000

ATA: A- 97%, B- 0%, C- 1%, D- 2% Regis comments “You and four people here don’t know…”

Spoiler
A- Purple Mountain’s Majesty (1)
—Commercial Break—

Brad’s girlfriend, Kaylie, is in the relationship seat. Brad left her behind to go to the carnival, which is up in Canada. She supports him, but misses him. Brad says the carnival gig is just until he finds another job.

$300- Let’s Go Nuts

Which of the following is a type of nut and not a member of the United Nations?

A- Malaysia B- Mauritania
C- Macadamia D- Mongolia
Spoiler
C- Macadamia (7)
$500- Bumper Stickers

The quirky bumper sticker slogan “Visualize whirled peas” is a punny reference to another slogan often used by whom?

A- Pessimists B- Pacifists
C- Procrastinators D- Penny-pinchers
Spoiler
B- Pacifists (6)
$1,000- You Might Say

Brackets are best described as “square-cornered” versions of what other punctuation marks?

A- Parentheses B- Hyphens
C- Ellipses D- Semicolons
Spoiler
A- Parentheses (9)
Brad has earned the Ask the Expert Lifeline. Sam warns Brad that if he wins the million, the government may come after him to help pay for health care reform.

$2,000- Otto

Otto von Bismarck is often credited with the cynical quip that “laws are like” what, “it’s better not to see them being made”?

A- Lingerie B- Paintings
C- Racehorses D- Sausages

Brad answers B- Paintings and leaves with $1,000
Spoiler
D- Sausages

franktangredi

Re: PT-WWTBAM Transcript: Brad Abbey (8/9/09)

#2 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:35 pm

I didn't get home last night in time to see the show. But if Brad looked glum during the opening ROF intros, it's because they brought them back to retape that at the end of the show. You couldn't help feeling sorry for him, having to sit there with all his hopes already dashed.

I am quite certain Sam Donaldson would have known the answer to Brad's last question.

Brad's ATA reminded me of my hot seat predecessor, Brandon Moen, who polled the audience on "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" and got a similar result. [Incidentally, Brandon and his now-wife/then-companion Francesca now have a one year-old son.]

hbomb1947

#3 Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Nihil obstat.

heelsrule1988

#4 Post by heelsrule1988 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:40 pm

After this, I'm thinking, "uh oh... looks like the syndicated contestants have made their way to primetime". I wasn't too pleased.

franktangredi

#5 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 pm

heelsrule1988 wrote:After this, I'm thinking, "uh oh... looks like the syndicated contestants have made their way to primetime". I wasn't too pleased.
Yes, because there were NEVER any contestants who tanked in the glory days.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:34 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Otto von Bismarck is often credited with the cynical quip that “laws are like” what, “it’s better not to see them being made”?

A- Lingerie B- Paintings

References to a "sausage factory" has become quite a prevalent term in the political world over the last few weeks. Even so, I'm surprised that he had never heard of this phrase before.

Nihil obstat®

themanwho

#7 Post by themanwho » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:24 pm

No problem for me, but Brad leaves lifelines on the table. Bad Carny!

Did he have a pack of butts rolled up in the sleeve of his tee-shirt? I couldn't tell.

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#8 Post by secondchance » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm kinda wondering how anyone raised in America wouldn't be familiar with the lyrics to "America The Beautiful." Especially the words in question. I ran back the intro thinking maybe the guy was from Canada or something. I don't mean to be condemning - just really surprised. Both my kids, even the one who doesn't pay much attention to history or anything cultural, knew the answer....

hanzz

#9 Post by hanzz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:03 pm

...on top of the fact that it fits the cliche "Longest answer is the correct one" scheme. I was thinking it would Amber Waves of Grain before the choices came up.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

heelsrule1988

#10 Post by heelsrule1988 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:02 pm

franktangredi wrote:Yes, because there were NEVER any contestants who tanked in the glory days.
I never said that... but the timing was pretty bad, considering only two questions in, I already had a :roll: moment.

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 pm

As previously stated, I would have got the FF, but maybe not fastest.

Otherwise, I knew all of these.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 am

hanzz wrote:...on top of the fact that it fits the cliche "Longest answer is the correct one" scheme. I was thinking it would Amber Waves of Grain before the choices came up.
Nah, I knew Amber Waves is a stripper. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 am

hanzz wrote:...on top of the fact that it fits the cliche "Longest answer is the correct one" scheme. I was thinking it would Amber Waves of Grain before the choices came up.
Nah, I knew Amber Waves is a stripper. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#14 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 am

Yeah, Amber Waves of Grain was my pre-call, too.

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#15 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:41 am

“From the studio where it all began ten years ago…this is the return of Millionaire!”

From the acid reflux stained couch where it all began four years ago....this is the return of MBFFB®!

After a montage of big winners over the past 10 years (freeze-frame if you want to try and recognize anyone!), in comes Regis to wild applause!

Not even Jesus Christ himself should get the kind of applause Regis deserves for finally walking back out into that studio. After seven years of putting up with the vomit-inducing dingbat Mere, it's about damn time we get a professional back out in the host's seat!

Regis: “I actually have been standing right here in this spot in the darkness for the past five years…waiting for the lights to go on!” More applause.

Sorry Regis, they couldn't afford the electric bill since Mere's makeup budget put them into bankruptcy....

The First 10th Anniversary Ring of Fire ™

Brad Abbey- Tampa, FL
Kristin Williams- Cedar Hills, UT
Stephanie Millien- Baldwin, NY
Gary Cousins- Flint, MI
Linda Sweeney- Acworth, GA
Rob Placek- Alliance, NE
Ralph Cambeis- Brooklyn, NY
Teresa Reitmeyer- Danville, PA
Neil Schwartz- West Bloomfield, MI
Jessica Gerber- Fairfield, CT

First 10th-Anniversary Fastest Finger Question (first since 2004)

Put these tabloid-style White House couples in the order in which they occupied the White House, starting with the earliest:

A- Abrahary B- Billary
C- Frankleanor D- Roncy

Oh shit! They hired the same damn question writers who write that dreck for SyndieBAM! And here I figured it'd be safe to leave the Pepto in the medicine cabinet...

And the winner is:

Brad Abbey- 5.25 s
Stephanie Millien-
Linda Sweeney-
Ralph Cambeis-
Neil Schwartz-
Jessica Gerber- 9.21 s
Teresa Reitmeyer- 11.78 s
Rob Placek-
Gary Cousins- 8.36 s
Kristin Williams- 8.29 s

Brad Abbey- 25 years old, Tampa, FL (Selection method: Road Audition, Tampa, FL)

Wonderful, your typical SyndieBAM contestant....

Brad is an unemployed commercial banker who now works in a carnival. He supervises the games, and “moves about a thousand Teddy Bears a day.”

Wonderful, your typical SyndieBAM contestant....

Categories:

*A Few Words
*Books in Books
*Body Chemistry
*Lost
*The End of Town
*Buzz!
*QWERTY
*Final Chapter
*Songs the Same
*Otto
*You Might Say
*Bumper Stickers
*Let’s Go Nuts
*Color Wheel
*Big Winners

Tonight’s expert is ABC News Correspondent Sam Donaldson.

Wonderful, your typical SyndieBAM idiotic quirks..... am I sounding like a broken record? The game hasn't even started yet, and I am already hating this show...

$100- Big Winners

Which Oscar-winning film of 2008 features the line “You have three lifelines…Ask the Audience, 50/50, and Phone a Friend”?

A- The Dark Knight B- Slumdog Millionaire
C- Milk D- The Curious Case of Regis’ Hair

Following the answers and audience chuckles, Regis needs to remind Brad that there are only four seconds left!

Yeah Brad, don't take time to laugh at the horrible sense of humor displayed by the question writers, nor look for hot chicks in the audience, because we're on the clock now! That's right, Regis apparently has the same bladder control problems that Mere has....

$200- Color Wheel

Which of these Crayola Crayon colors takes its name from a lyric in the song “America the Beautiful”?

A- Purple Mountain’s Majesty B- Wild Watermelon
C- Mountain Meadow D- Robin’s Egg Blue

With 3 seconds left on TDC, Brad uses his Ask the Audience lifeline. Regis mentions that there are 79 former Hot Seaters in today’s audience, who have won a combined total of $6,575,000

So exactly how many former Hot Seaters does it take to screw in a light bulb? If I had to count on some of the 300 or so I've critiqued over the years, I have a feeling I'd either be sitting in the dark or trying to put out a major electrical fire....

ATA: A- 97%, B- 0%, C- 1%, D- 2% Regis comments “You and four people here don’t know…”

All that means is that about half of the companions for the other 9 RoF'ers waiting for their turn aren't quite as bright as the other half of them who did answer wrong, Reege....

Brad’s girlfriend, Kaylie, is in the relationship seat. Brad left her behind to go to the carnival, which is up in Canada. She supports him, but misses him. Brad says the carnival gig is just until he finds another job.

Careful Kaylie, I think this guy has a thing going on with the Bearded Lady. You know how those traveling carnivals work. You can probably find a guy with a real job in about 5 minutes if you went down to the singles bar to drown your sorrows....

$300- Let’s Go Nuts

Which of the following is a type of nut and not a member of the United Nations?

A- Malaysia B- Mauritania
C- Macadamia D- Mongolia

$500- Bumper Stickers

The quirky bumper sticker slogan “Visualize whirled peas” is a punny reference to another slogan often used by whom?

A- Pessimists B- Pacifists
C- Procrastinators D- Penny-pinchers

$1,000- You Might Say

Brackets are best described as “square-cornered” versions of what other punctuation marks?

A- Parentheses B- Hyphens
C- Ellipses D- Semicolons

Brad has earned the Ask the Expert Lifeline. Sam warns Brad that if he wins the million, the government may come after him to help pay for health care reform.

He could just hide out with his carnival-mates in Canada Sammy, where he'll get all the free health care he needs when the girl who runs the funnel cake stand gives him the clap...

$2,000- Otto

Otto von Bismarck is often credited with the cynical quip that “laws are like” what, “it’s better not to see them being made”?

A- Lingerie B- Paintings

You know what else probably isn't better to see being made? Friggin' dumbasses! I feel so sorry for the 79 former Hot Seaters who had to watch that pathetic display of ignorance. If this show were a damn carnival ride, it'd be the Tilt O Whirl dialed all the way up to Ludicrous Speed.....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#16 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:55 am

Don't quit the Tilt-a-Whirl and the Wild Mouse........
It sounds like he is working for a moveable company, seeing as he calls it a carnival. Might therefore be next in Ottawa or in Toronto, for the SuperEx or the CNE. Maybe. I wonder if anyone will recognize him

FF - Interestingly, maybe, if you let your eyes wander to the left side only of the names, the question becomes very easy. A tip for the next round of PTBAM...

200 - only one option reads like a song lyric. BTW Google reveals references in Tampa area back to elementary school graduation. He ain't a snowbird carpetbagger.

1000 - IIRC I called parentheses brackets in LS...

2000 - Peculiar. I know this phrase is used as -- almost -- an ironic celebration of the backroom deal and the logroll and the rest of inside politics. If Bismarck used it, it would have been with a completely different meaning.

First time but not the last tonight, contestant doesn't timelyly think of using the great political journalist to answer a political question. Blame it on the clock. Or maybe the Bossa Nova.

franktangredi

#17 Post by franktangredi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote: You know what else probably isn't better to see being made? Friggin' dumbasses! I feel so sorry for the 79 former Hot Seaters who had to watch that pathetic display of ignorance.
As one of the 79, all I felt was sympathy for a guy who folded under pressure.

Spokesman for MBFFB
Merry Man

#18 Post by Spokesman for MBFFB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 am

franktangredi wrote:
MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote: You know what else probably isn't better to see being made? Friggin' dumbasses! I feel so sorry for the 79 former Hot Seaters who had to watch that pathetic display of ignorance.

Do I need to come out of retirement as well? I could use a steady paycheck again, even if it is the paltry amount MBFFB® pays me....

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 am

franktangredi wrote:
the durn show is supposed to be transmitting to us in vacuumland that durn feeling in the studio....

Jeemie

#20 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:36 am

franktangredi wrote:
I felt for him because I know what The Damn Clock can do to you, if only from my experience at Play-It!
1979 City of Champions 2009

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#21 Post by secondchance » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 am

Second Chance wrote:I'm kinda wondering how anyone raised in America wouldn't be familiar with the lyrics to "America The Beautiful." Especially the words in question. I ran back the intro thinking maybe the guy was from Canada or something. I don't mean to be condemning - just really surprised. Both my kids, even the one who doesn't pay much attention to history or anything cultural, knew the answer....
Aha! After reading MBFFB's report (welcome back, genie-ass!), I realize I was probably on the right track suspecting this guy was from Canada. I missed the carnival's location reference when I watched the show. He probably lived in Canada as a youngster (when we're usually taught that song), and moved to Florida as a young adult. I'm inferring this by the fact he has (probably childhood) friends running a carnival up there. If I may borrow Fanny's "HA!..." ha!

NellyLunatic1980

#22 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 am

Spokesman for MBFFB wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

Do I need to come out of retirement as well? I could use a steady paycheck again, even if it is the paltry amount MBFFB® pays me....
Yes, please! We need you and your boss back on the clock! :D