Cussing on the board?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
emilyspere1

Cussing on the board?

#1 Post by emilyspere1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Evidently I don't post enough here (sorry; I do enjoy scanning the board. Just too busy and then too tired to offer much) to be allowed to originate posts. Evidently one must first submit hundreds of replies to others' posts, especially on scintillating subjects like home-cleaning procedures.

Back to my question: (and isn't that a grabber of a subject title? I'm a hopeless pot-stirrer! And honestly, this board could use a little CPR now and then. Life is just too short to have banal conversations all the time. I mean no offense; I do like and respect all of you, I truly do.) Are we allowed free reign with expletives? In other words, may we swear like Nixon?
That man cussed like a sailor! And couldn't today's Republican party need a man like RMN again? Obviously, the whole lying through his molars like a TV evangelist is hard to overlook, but he still beats the pants off noobs like Santorum!

Whoops! There I go again: POT-STIRRING!!
Where was I? Oh yeah, expletives. Let me be clear. I wouldn't use them to refer to anyone, directly or indirectly. I'm not into ad hominem attacks to try and prove a point. For instance, I wouldn't write, "You simple-minded Pentecostal d---head!"

Let me add this: after reviewing other board members' post histories (evidently this is another recommended practice here; if someone steps on your toes, one first peruses that person's posts, then cherry picks said posts rather than address their original message), it is clear that people have dropped a few choice words here and there. I saw more than one f-bomb. I saw a reference to excrement.

What about . . . ass-hat? As in Right-Wing Ass-Hats for Jesus? I will use the acronym RWAFJ for the most part. Speaking of which, may we use the JC word? How about "sweet flippin' Baby Gee-Zhus?" What about g--dammit? Personal favorite of mine. Pot-stirring!!

I can hear the moderators already. This guy is going to be more "Trouble" than Pink. We need to shut him down right now. Please don't. You know exactly what this is about. People didn't like what I wrote, and like typical Internet cowards they attacked me personally over stupid crap rather than address my message. I would never stoop to nit-picking through someone's posts looking for an opening. Am I ticked? Goddam right I am!

And besides, this board could use a good villain. Someone who wants to talk about things other than oven-cleaning or posting pix of their bunnies and doggies. In other words, pot-stirring!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Cussing on the board?

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 pm

emilyspere1 wrote:Evidently I don't post enough here (sorry; I do enjoy scanning the board. Just too busy and then too tired to offer much) to be allowed to originate posts. Evidently one must first submit hundreds of replies to others' posts, especially on scintillating subjects like home-cleaning procedures.

Back to my question: (and isn't that a grabber of a subject title? I'm a hopeless pot-stirrer! And honestly, this board could use a little CPR now and then. Life is just too short to have banal conversations all the time. I mean no offense; I do like and respect all of you, I truly do.) Are we allowed free reign with expletives? In other words, may we swear like Nixon?
That man cussed like a sailor! And couldn't today's Republican party need a man like RMN again? Obviously, the whole lying through his molars like a TV evangelist is hard to overlook, but he still beats the pants off noobs like Santorum!

Where was I? Oh yeah, expletives. Let me be clear. I wouldn't use them to refer to anyone, directly or indirectly. I'm not into ad hominem attacks to try and prove a point. For instance, I wouldn't write, "You simple-minded Pentecostal d---head!"

Let me add this: after reviewing other board members' post histories (evidently this is another recommended practice here; if someone steps on your toes, one first peruses that person's posts, then cherry picks said posts rather than address their original message), it is clear that people have dropped a few choice words here and there. I saw more than one f-bomb. I saw a reference to excrement.

What about . . . ass-hat? As in Right-Wing Ass-Hats for Jesus? I will use the acronym RWAFJ for the most part. Speaking of which, may we use the JC word? How about "sweet flippin' Baby Gee-Zhus?" What about g--dammit? Personal favorite of mine. Pot-stirring!!

I can hear the moderators already. This guy is going to be more "Trouble" than Pink. We need to shut him down right now. Please don't. You know exactly what this is about. People didn't like what I wrote, and like typical Internet cowards they attacked me personally over stupid crap rather than address my message. I would never stoop to nit-picking through someone's posts looking for an opening. Am I ticked? Goddam right I am!

And besides, this board could use a good villain. Someone who wants to talk about things other than oven-cleaning or posting pix of their bunnies and doggies. In other words, pot-stirring!
Although this Bored has moderators, we pretty much restrict ourselves to nuking spam, if it should happen to get past lb. And if you've seen Ace's avatar, you know the answer to your question about cussing.

Having directly answered that question, please bear in mind that we have been together long enough to form a community, and as such have developed some loose community norms through usage. In my opinion, it would be courteous to make an effort to understand those norms well enough to at least make an effort to respect them.

In particular, there are a number of people here who have wearied of what they see as incessant political discussions, and one well-valued poster recently left until after the election for exactly that reason. Accordingly, to respect their preference not to be drawn into such discussions unwittingly, my practice has been to use thread titles that clearly signal the political nature of the thread without being inflammatory. See my thread earlier today regarding Governor Heineman for an example.

I guess what I'm asking you to do is to try to hold political discussions as an adult, and not be drawn into tit-for-tat responses (such as those at the start of your post) should someone respond with an ad hominem attack. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#3 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 pm

emilyspere1 wrote: And besides, this board could use a good villain. Someone who wants to talk about things other than oven-cleaning or posting pix of their bunnies and doggies. In other words, pot-stirring!
Just what the hell are you talking about. Shit and Damnit, we got villains by the crap load here. So get yourself into the proper line, and let the trashtalking fly. Get your head out of your ass, and fingers out of your nose, and let loose with whatever you got. Just remember one thing.....

Keep your fucking spoon outta MY pot. I ain't been stirred since about 2003 and don't you start up with me, you mealymouth asshole!!!

So whatcha got there cupcake. Personally, I LIKE bunnies and doggies. I leave the oven cleaning to my servants.

The above is a paid commercial program, and does not necessarily reflect the views of the station or its management...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

caveat - this is all written in sarcastic font for those who don't know me very well, or don't want to LOLOLOL
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 pm

a1mamacat wrote:Keep your fucking spoon outta MY pot. I ain't been stirred since about 2003 . . . .
Jeez, Saucy, is that your way of saying you need a man? :shock: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:Keep your fucking spoon outta MY pot. I ain't been stirred since about 2003 . . . .
Jeez, Saucy, is that your way of saying you need a man? :shock: --Bob
Hell no, that's when I got rid of some dead weight :wink: :wink: :wink:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

emilyspere1

#6 Post by emilyspere1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:18 am

Bob-thanks for the advice. You are a sage. And I am a reasonable guy. I'll play nice with those who play nice with me. I'm not the one who started this crap.

a1mamacat-you are a goddess. Thanks for the best answer I could have expected!! I will forever honor and respect your commitment to bunnies and doggies!
Although sweet flippin baby gee-Zhus, I don't see the appeal.

Villains on the board, please step forward.

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#7 Post by Sistine Fanny » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:24 am

You think this is pot stirring? That's absolutely adorable....

I really thought someone as brilliant as yourself would understand the actual meaning of my post, especially since I explicitly stated it in my penultimate paragraph. But no such luck, so I'll have to be a bit more direct. My toes weren't stepped on and I neither liked nor disliked what you wrote. I couldn't give a shit less about slutty 14 year olds getting knocked up or what their Bible thumpin' parents think about the situation. My only interest was wondering what the reason was for your posting it, as nothing in your vast posting history explained it. As for perusing and cherry picking? With 13 posts it took exactly one click, I didn't even have to waste a second click on a specific post. I'm also capable of counting to seven, so it didn't take a lot of effort.

So make up your mind, Trouble. Do you want to be a villain, a pot stirrer or a gutter mouth? There's a line for each and they're all pretty fucking long, so you might want to pack a snack and bring a lawn chair.
Pot Stirrer wrote:And besides, this board could use a good villain. Someone who wants to talk about things other than oven-cleaning or posting pix of their bunnies and doggies. In other words, pot-stirring!
You mean things like announcing your game show auditions three times a year?

PS I'm giving 5-2 odds that your entire post was taking the piss, but since you have never given anybody anything much more than "Yay! I auditioned for Jeopardy yesterday!" to go on, it's tough to tell. So I cut it down the middle and took your post as serious, although my reply is not.

So, if you actually do have a sense of humour, you can disregard my reply (after marveling at the cleverishness of it all) and replace it with a hearty "You go, grrrl!!!!!1"

Now, if you'll excuse me, that oven isn't going to clean itself. Or will it? Perhaps more discussion is required........
It's the Final Countdown.....

emilyspere1

#8 Post by emilyspere1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 am

Sistine Fanny:

I suspect you are, in person, quite fascinating and good to know. I also find it difficult to address you; others are easy. the usual Right-Wing Ass-hats for Jesus. Predictable as hell. Although your fondness for "what the french" is questionable. I hear that, all I can think is, "Alex, I'll take 'Really Wild things to say at Bible College' for $200, please." And that is definitely not you. Wouldn't WTF suffice? Easier to type, everyone gets it.

I cannot rescind my unfortunate comments regarding household cleaning procedures. But I can apologize. I shouldn't have directed my vitriol towards you. I am glad you recognize my brilliance.

Not pot-stirring? Me? Perhaps. Direct me towards some posts that are.

Good luck with that oven.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:30 am

emilyspere1 wrote:I'll play nice with those who play nice with me. I'm not the one who started this crap.
I think you may have missed my point. I'm asking you to play nice even with those who don't play nice with you. --Bob

themanintheseersuckersuit

#10 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:35 am

Emilyspere is a bored handle constructed in a manner similar to Holtdad
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:00 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:You think this is pot stirring? That's absolutely adorable....

I really thought someone as brilliant as yourself would understand the actual meaning of my post, especially since I explicitly stated it in my penultimate paragraph. But no such luck, so I'll have to be a bit more direct. My toes weren't stepped on and I neither liked nor disliked what you wrote. I couldn't give a shit less about slutty 14 year olds getting knocked up or what their Bible thumpin' parents think about the situation. My only interest was wondering what the reason was for your posting it, as nothing in your vast posting history explained it. As for perusing and cherry picking? With 13 posts it took exactly one click, I didn't even have to waste a second click on a specific post. I'm also capable of counting to seven, so it didn't take a lot of effort.

So make up your mind, Trouble. Do you want to be a villain, a pot stirrer or a gutter mouth? There's a line for each and they're all pretty fucking long, so you might want to pack a snack and bring a lawn chair.
Pot Stirrer wrote:And besides, this board could use a good villain. Someone who wants to talk about things other than oven-cleaning or posting pix of their bunnies and doggies. In other words, pot-stirring!
You mean things like announcing your game show auditions three times a year?

PS I'm giving 5-2 odds that your entire post was taking the piss, but since you have never given anybody anything much more than "Yay! I auditioned for Jeopardy yesterday!" to go on, it's tough to tell. So I cut it down the middle and took your post as serious, although my reply is not.

So, if you actually do have a sense of humour, you can disregard my reply (after marveling at the cleverishness of it all) and replace it with a hearty "You go, grrrl!!!!!1"

Now, if you'll excuse me, that oven isn't going to clean itself. Or will it? Perhaps more discussion is required........

Who asked you, anyway? Don't you know you have to have at least 1300 posts on this Bored for people here to give a fuck about what you're saying. Jesus fucking Christ, maybe you should just stick your peabrained head in that goddamned oven and be done with it.

As for Emily Spere, I'm treating her to a shopping spree at Kohls....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#12 Post by minimetoo26 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:24 am

I'm all for cussing on the bored.

But I'll leave all y'all to deal with the simple-minded Pentecostal dickheads while I cuss my appliances, which are in a perpetual state of rebellion. I like that we can have the best of both worlds here!
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

themanwho

#13 Post by themanwho » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:04 am

emilyspere1 wrote:Evidently I don't post enough here (sorry; I do enjoy scanning the board. Just too busy and then too tired to offer much) to be allowed to originate posts. Evidently one must first submit hundreds of replies to others' posts, especially on scintillating subjects like home-cleaning procedures.

"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

themanwho

#14 Post by themanwho » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 am

emilyspere1 wrote:I'm a hopeless pot-stirrer!
Alternate response: delicious!
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:45 am

themanwho wrote:
emilyspere1 wrote:I'm a hopeless pot-stirrer!
Alternate response: delicious!
I think you mean potsticker, but Found It! 8)

DevilKitty100

#16 Post by DevilKitty100 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:13 pm

emilyspere1 wrote: Am I ticked? Goddam right I am!

LOL.......first of all, Bubba.....................nobody gives a rat's ass that you're ticked. Seriously.

And for pot-stirring..................amateur. The entire Vietnam War saw fewer skirmishes than have occurred on this bored. And some of us wear our medals proudly!

And FUCK! All I wanted to do this afternoon was plant strawberries. And since I'm too fucking lazy to cook, my oven never needs cleaning.

Now get over here and lick my boots.

Maybe it's the post-traumatic stress that made me say that. :mrgreen:

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Emilyspere is a bored handle constructed in a manner similar to Holtdad
You've lost me on that one unless you simply mean Holt.dad is similar to Emilys.dad (or Emilys.pere). Maybe I tried to read too much into it?
emilyspere1 wrote:I'm not the one who started this crap.
If that's true, someone hacked your account.
emilyspere1 wrote:Amazing how the Bible Belt states fail to pass on what they preach.
emilyspere1 wrote:Doesn't that mean non-Christians are more moral?
I suspect its not true and those are your actual posts.

That's "starting it".
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Emilyspere is a bored handle constructed in a manner similar to Holtdad
You've lost me on that one unless you simply mean Holt.dad is similar to Emilys.dad (or Emilys.pere).
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:43 am

BackInTex wrote:
You've lost me on that one unless you simply mean Holt.dad is similar to Emilys.dad (or Emilys.pere). Maybe I tried to read too much into it?
emilyspere1 wrote:I'm not the one who started this crap.
If that's true, someone hacked your account.
emilyspere1 wrote:Amazing how the Bible Belt states fail to pass on what they preach.
emilyspere1 wrote:Doesn't that mean non-Christians are more moral?
I suspect its not true and those are your actual posts.

That's "starting it".
Just what we need, another liberal pot-stirrer. As if we don't have enough of them here already. (And now one who thinks vulgarity is required). Why do liberals feel the need to evangelize?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#20 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Just what we need, another liberal pot-stirrer. As if we don't have enough of them here already. (And now one who thinks vulgarity is required). Why do liberals feel the need to evangelize?

What's wrong with a little pot stirring....?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Just what we need, another liberal pot-stirrer. As if we don't have enough of them here already. (And now one who thinks vulgarity is required). Why do liberals feel the need to evangelize?

What's wrong with a little pot stirring....?

lb13
Found it!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

christie1111
11:11

#22 Post by christie1111 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 am

Found it!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#23 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 am

And what's wrong with smoking it?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#24 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#25 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:27 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Image

Well, if you've got 'em, smoke 'em.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.