Bittersweet, my new car

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Bittersweet, my new car

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Yesterday, Dad and I went and bought out the lease of Mom's car. Dad and my brother said it was the right thing to do, as I was doing so much driving for Dad.

It's a 2013 BMS xsport. These damned things have too much technology. I have accidentally managed to set the clock correctly, but I am stuck with only 1 AM and 1 FM radio station. Haven't figured that out at all.

I gave my Sentra (you all remember how excited I was about that one. jaybee even sent me a car supplies kit LOL) to James. He's really excited too. (Nervy kid did ask if I was sure that I didn't want to keep the Sentra and give him the BMW.)

I think of Mom every time I get in. That's why it's so bittersweet.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob Juch

Re: Bittersweet, my new car

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 28, 2017 6:35 pm

I should warn you that BMWs are terribly expensive to repair.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

#3 Post by jaybee » Sun May 28, 2017 7:52 pm

For all the "how do I operate this one" things, not much can beat a YouTube video. Just do a YouTube search of your ride and whatever you are looking to do and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of informative info. And pictures too! You'll be rockin' 12 radio stations in no time.

I'll second Bob's comment about BMW repairs. Mrs. Jaybee tools around in a sweet little 2012 328i coupe. She loves it. She loved it more when it had that 50K mile all maintenance is covered warrantee. Now that it has more miles we have found a great independent repair shop that specializes in BMW's. Still expensive but costs between 1/2 and 2/3 of the dealership prices.

As for it always being 'Mom's' car: Drive it. You will love it. I'm willing to bet that your mom would be happy knowing that you are enjoying driving your new car.
Jaybee

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Sun May 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Somewhere in the car should be the manual. Radio will be covered in there (if all else fails, there's always the internet). Since the "B" stands for "Bavarian", you will get the German version of bad English. Which has gotta be better than the Japanese phraseology we Japanese-car owners experience. Diff anyhow.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 29, 2017 9:34 am

James is driving???? That's news, isn't it? Good news.

You'll figure out the BMW stuff. If not, I hope you like those two stations. :)
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:29 pm

a1mamacat wrote: ... I am stuck with only 1 AM and 1 FM radio station.
You say that like it's a bad thing :P

Sorry. As a former member of the radio profession, my feelings about the current state of the industry are rather...not suitable for broadcast.

On a more serious note, your bittersweet feelings are understandable. Perhaps, in a way, though, it is a way to remind you that she is ALWAYS riding shotgun with you, as are my folks in so many ways.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

a1mamacat

#7 Post by a1mamacat » Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:

Sorry. As a former member of the radio profession, my feelings about the current state of the industry are rather...not suitable for broadcast.

On a more serious note, your bittersweet feelings are understandable. Perhaps, in a way, though, it is a way to remind you that she is ALWAYS riding shotgun with you, as are my folks in so many ways.

OMG, I never looked at it that way. You are absolutely right!
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Tue May 30, 2017 5:21 am

Here's an interior look at your BMW:

What's the problem, again?
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 am

a1mamacat wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:

T-Bone is wise. My grandma LOVED to take drives along the Stillwater river (where her family settled and she grew up) in her later years. She passed in February of a bitterly cold winter, and her ashes couldn't be easily interred until May. I carried them, seat-belted in, for nearly three months of driving. I know she was there in spirit. I'm glad you have that connection to your mom.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 pm

tlynn78 wrote: T-Bone is wise.
Could you please maybe tell my wife that? Then smile patiently as she laughs nonstop for twenty minutes.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:42 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote: T-Bone is wise.
Could you please maybe tell my wife that? Then smile patiently as she laughs nonstop for twenty minutes.
:lol: Those closest to us often fail to appreciate our finer points.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 31, 2017 9:12 am

a1mamacat wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:

Mrs. SSS and I have a number of items in our house that were keepsakes from our respective mothers. It always gives us enjoyment and brings back fond memories to see or use them, and both our mothers have been gone for over 15 years. I'm sure you'll have those same feelings about the car.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:38 pm

This is so sweet, saucy.

There are things that were TLAF's that I will always have (no matter where I go) and will bring smiles and tears at the same time.