Star Trek: Discovery

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Star Trek: Discovery

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:12 pm

I was on the fence about the new ST series coming this fall, but after reading a print story in Entertainment Weekly, I am enthusiastically on board.

I can't link to an online version because they have broken the story up into several online, to get more clicks. None of them reads as well as the print version, to me - it's a Q&A with the lead and 2 showrunners.

One of the attractions is that the main character will be a first officer rather than a captain, so we get access to more parts of the ship and stories. She attends Vulcan Science Academy even though she's human. Her name is Michael. It sounds like they are making it more about her journey than they've been able to do with any one character before.

I will find $10 a month or whatever it will cost by then. It sounds terrific to me, and I hope traditional ST fans will support it in some way so that it can run several seasons (many plan to wait until season 1 is done and then buy the DVDs rather than subscribe to CBS All Access, which is a good option).
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

#2 Post by Estonut » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I will find $10 a month or whatever it will cost by then. It sounds terrific to me, and I hope traditional ST fans will support it in some way so that it can run several seasons (many plan to wait until season 1 is done and then buy the DVDs rather than subscribe to CBS All Access, which is a good option).
It's not a good option if EVERYONE does that.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:51 pm

CBS All Access is $6 a month. Right now, their original programming consists of the Star Trek show and The Good Fight, the spinoff of The Good Wife.

They also have next day broadcasts of all the CBS programming including late night and daytime (which you can't get on Hulu or Netflix), and a library of past seasons of a number of recent shows and some classics like I Love Lucy, Twilight Zone, and the original Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five O. Most of those TV shows are available other places.

Unlike Netflix and Amazon Prime, they will probably release one episode a week of the new Star Trek show. Mrs. SSS and I have seen The Good Fight and it's the same quality as The Good Wife was, but the language is somewhat spicier with a couple of F-bombs per show usually. I'm not sure how risque the language on Star Trek will be, but I'm guessing it will probably be fairly clean to attract more of a family demographic.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:36 pm

silverscreenselect wrote: I'm not sure how risque the language on Star Trek will be, but I'm guessing it will probably be fairly clean to attract more of a family demographic.
Until they show the Brazilian Tribble episode. :shock:
Jaybee

Jeemie

#5 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:CBS All Access is $6 a month. Right now, their original programming consists of the Star Trek show and The Good Fight, the spinoff of The Good Wife.

They also have next day broadcasts of all the CBS programming including late night and daytime (which you can't get on Hulu or Netflix), and a library of past seasons of a number of recent shows and some classics like I Love Lucy, Twilight Zone, and the original Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five O. Most of those TV shows are available other places.

Unlike Netflix and Amazon Prime, they will probably release one episode a week of the new Star Trek show. Mrs. SSS and I have seen The Good Fight and it's the same quality as The Good Wife was, but the language is somewhat spicier with a couple of F-bombs per show usually. I'm not sure how risque the language on Star Trek will be, but I'm guessing it will probably be fairly clean to attract more of a family demographic.
I have access to UK Netflix and thus will watch Star Trek on that.
1979 City of Champions 2009