Game #170 – It’s All in the Title

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 am

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 84 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Nine actors will be used twice and two will be used three times.

Twenty-five movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

I am sure alternate answers will pop up. We’ll consider it done when every clue has been legitimately used.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. “And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?”

A-2. The first of her seven Oscar nominations put her in direct competition with her own sister.

A-3. “You got that from Vickers' Work in Essex County, page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you palm it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f**kin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!”

A-4. A recipient of a Purple Heart for his service in World War II, this actor went on to survive arguably the two best World War II action flicks of the 1960s.

A-5. “I'm going to show you what yum-yum is. Here's yum.... Here's the other yum.... And here's yum-yum.”

A-6. She won both her Oscars for movies adapted from works that had won the Pulitzer Prize.

A-7. “You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna! But you keep it all inside.”

A-8. This Bahamian-born actor received both a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II and the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama.

A-9. “You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have balls. Now, you got too much of one and not enough of the other.”

A-10. Between 1958 and 1961, this former film star served as the eponymous host of a children’s anthology series featuring adaptations of famous fairy tales.

A-11. “I despise rapists. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.”

A-12. He made his film debut in a popular 1982 comedy as one of two characters listed in the credits simply as “Stoner Bud.” (His fellow stoner lurks elsewhere in this game.)

A-13. “I'm going to smoke everyone involved in this op and then I'm going to kill bin Laden. ”

A-14. She and her then-husband shared one of the most romantic movie scenes of the 1940s – although in real life, their marriage was on the rocks due to her affair with the film’s producer.

A-15. “They may think it's twice as safe because there's two of them, but it isn't twice as safe. It's ten times twice as dangerous. They've committed a murder. And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”

A-16. It is generally considered that one of Ava Gardner’s most famous film roles was modeled on this other Hollywood sex symbol.

A-17. “Helmet! So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time.”

A-18. In 1979, this Scottish actor won a Tony award for his role as a quadriplegic who wants his life to be ended.

A-19. “I can hear you whisperin,' children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience children. I'm coming to find you now.”

A-20. This British actress completed the “triple crown of acting” in 2015 when she won a Tony for playing the same real-life role that had previously won her an Oscar.

A-21. “Playwrights teach us nothing about love. They make it pretty, they make it comical, or they make it lust, but they cannot make it true.”

A-22. It has long been rumored that this Oscar-winning actor could give Dirk Diggler a run for his money, but he and his lawyer would like people to stop talking about it. (Good luck with that.)

A-23. “I am making out the report now. We haven't quite decided yet whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”

A-24. When he received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, he broke Alec Baldwin’s seven-year winning streak.

A-25. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”

A-26. In 1947, this actor made his debut behind the camera, directing himself in the role of a classic hard-boiled detective.

A-27. “I'd like to think that sometime, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, there'd be something I could laugh at. Anything.”

A-28. Chronic asthma shortened both the life and filmography of this British actor, who got through his last film role in 1958 with the help of oxygen and a nurse.

A-29. “She's not a woman, she's the Terminator!”

A-30. He was the first actor to win five Emmy awards for a single role.

A-31. “Now, the problem is how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.”

A-32. Though only eleven years older than Charlton Heston, she played his mother in two major films of the 1950s.

A-33. “Never get behind people traveling with infants. I've never seen a stroller collapse in less than 20 minutes. Old people are worse. Their bodies are littered with hidden metal and they never seem to appreciate how little time they have left. Bingo, Asians. They pack light, travel efficiently, and they have a thing for slip on shoes. Gotta love 'em.”

A-34. He is the only actor to receive an Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Herman Melville.

A-35. “The way I see it, there's only two possible outcomes. Either I make it down there in one piece and I have one hell of a story to tell. Or I burn up in the next ten minutes. Either way whichever way, no harm no foul. ’Cause either way, it'll be one hell of a ride.”

A-36. A tragic event in the life of this actress inspired a 1962 novel by Agatha Christie.

A-37. “It's there all the time, driving me out to wander the streets, following me, silently, but I can feel it there. It's me, pursuing myself! I want to escape, to escape from myself! But it's impossible. I can't escape, I have to obey it. I have to run, run ... endless streets. I want to escape, to get away! And I'm pursued by ghosts. Ghosts of mothers and of those children ... they never leave me. They are always there ... always, always, always!”

A-38. He starred in the film version of the play reference in Clue A-18.

A-39. “I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.”

A-40. This famously reclusive actress suffered from chronic stage fright – a fact which resulted in Judy Holliday getting her big break on Broadway.

A-41. “These are not boxer shorts. Mine are boxer shorts. These are Hanes 32.”

A-42. This Oscar-winning actress had her biggest commercial success with a live action reboot of a Disney animated classic.

A-43. “All of you know what I stand for - what I believe! I believe in the truth of the Book of Genesis! Exodus! Leviticus! Numbers! Deuteronomy! Joshua! Judges! Ruth! First Samuel! Second Samuel! First Kings! Second Kings! Isaiah! Jeremiah! Lamentations! Ezekiel!”

A-44. He first came to prominence playing the title role of a sitcom set in the 15th century … and the 16th century … and the 18th century … and the 20th century.

A-45. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”

A-46. She completes this list: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Barbara Stanwyck, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Jane Fonda, _________.

A-47. “For the past 50 years or so I've been getting more and more worried about Christmas. Seems we're all so busy trying to beat the other fellow in making things go faster and look shinier and cost less that Christmas and I are sort of getting lost in the shuffle.”

A-48. Her last on-screen appearance to date was 24 years ago, playing the mother of Tom Hanks.

A-49. “We got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”

A-50. She was the first actress to win a Tony and an Oscar for the same role.

A-51. “My life is a game of strip poker. Want to play?’

A-52. She has appeared in film adaptations of novels by Ray Bradbury, Thomas Hardy, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Rebecca West, and some Russian dude.

A-53. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”

A-54. She won her only Oscar the same year her brother won the first of his five Oscars.

A-55. “Stop breaking the law, a**hole!”

A-56. When this actor’s mother died in 1960, Noel Coward commented, “It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71.”

A-57. “Mrs. Peters, in a half-an-hour there's going to be a full-on nuclear attack. The missiles are on their way now. L.A.'s going to be a desert again very soon.”

A-58. She was the most recent Bond’s first Bond girl.

A-59. “Here at NASA we all pee the same color.”

A-60. Her last feature film was also the last feature film personally produced by Walt Disney.

A-61. “Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama, alligators are ornery 'cause of their medulla oblongata! And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them, too!”

A-62. He co-starred in more Astaire-Rogers movies than any other actor.

A-63. “It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans.”

A-64. In July 2017, this onetime sex symbol and photojournalist celebrated her 90th birthday.

A-65. “Oh, Eleanor, you've brought me my tombstone! You spoil me!”

A-66. In 1993, this actress became the youngest person ever to host a syndicated talk show. (The record has since been broken.)

A-67. “You want to know why I came back so fast? I got to the end of our lane. I couldn't remember where the old town road was. I went a little ways in the woods. There was nothing familiar. Not one damn tree. Scared me half to death. That's why I came running back here to you. So I could see your pretty face and I could feel safe and that I was still me.”

A-68. Presenting the Oscar for Art Direction in 1993, he took the opportunity to give a speech denouncing China – a move that got him banned from both the Oscars and China.

A-69. “Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me, I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done. “

A-70. She and her husband were the first of three married couples to jointly receive the Kennedy Center Honors.

A-71.” Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?”

A-72. This actor – best known for his role as a TV detective – was inducted into the Mustache Hall of Fame in 2015. (Other actors afforded this honor include Richard Pryor, Burt Reynolds, Sam Elliott, and Billy Dee Williams.)

A-73. “From what I've heard, your singing career was almost non-existent, and your married lover wants you dead. If you're fooling anyone, it is only yourself. God has brought you here. Take the hint.”

A-74. She received her only Oscar nomination for a comedy in which she played opposite the actor she had divorced three years earlier (and who is represented elsewhere in this game.)

A-75. "Young? You been stomping around her in those boots like you owned the place, thinking every woman you saw as gonna fall madly in love. But here's one woman didn't pay you any mind. Aristocratic millionaire, my foot! You wouldn't know an aristocratic millionaire if he spit on you. Braggin' about your father, and I bet he wasn't any better'n you are. You think just 'cause you're a man, you can walk in here and make off with whatever you like. You think just 'cause you're young you can push other people aside and not pay them any mind. You think just cause you're strong you can show your muscles and nobody'll know what a pitiful specimen you are. But you won't stay young forever, didja ever thinka that? What'll become of you then? You'll end your life in the gutter and it'll serve you right, 'cause the gutter's where you came from and the gutter's where you belong."

A-76. In addition to getting three Oscar nominations for acting, he has co-produced five movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including two that won.

A-77. “Colin's not a blind man as long as he's with me. And he's going with me!”

A-78. Directors under whom this actress has worked include Ron Howard, Barbet Schroder, Taylor Hackford, Sam Mendes, Joel Coen, Robert Altman, and Quentin Tarantino.

A-79. “Miss Huberman is first, last, and always not a lady. She may be risking her life, but when it comes to being a lady, she doesn't hold a candle to your wife, sitting in Washington, playing bridge with three other ladies of great honor and virtue.”

A-80. The nerve damage her right hand sustained during the filming of one of the most exciting scenes in movie history plagued her for the remaining 73 years of her life.

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. “He made an awful lot of money”
“Well, it's no trick to make a lot of money ... if all you want to do is make a lot of money.”

B-2. George Cukor received his first Oscar nomination for this adaptation of a classic 1868 novel.

B-3. “When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.”

B-4. Her impressive bodily contortions helped this film’s leading lady win the MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance in 2006.

B-5. “I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. Come on, Squishy. Come on, little Squishy.”

B-6. The King of Hollywood reprised his role in this film in a remake 22 years later.

B-7. “There's something you should know. I'm having an affair.”
“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“It gets worse. She's white.”
“Nuclear holocaust!”

B-8. This 1937 thriller was based on a play by the same Welsh author who also gave us {i]The Corn Is Green.[/i]

B-9. “I ... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead ... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women and the children, too. They're like animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!”

B-10. The cast of this film included the actors in Clues A-7 and A-70.

B-11. “The last miracle I did was the 1969 Mets. Before that, I think you have to go back to the Red Sea.”

B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.

B-13. “I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.”
“Soft mattress?”
“Yeah, it could have been the soft mattress. Or the midnight rape. Or the nude gay art show that took place in my room. One of those probably added to the lack of sleep.”

B-14. This 1939 biopic gave rise to a new nickname for an 1876 invention.

B-15. “You know, that sounds like an interesting case. Why don't you take it?”
“I haven't the time. I'm much too busy seeing that you don't lose any of the money I married you for.”

B-16. This adaptation of a Henry James novella was shot on location at a Gothic mansion in Sussex, England.

B-17. “Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

B-18. The title of this movie had to be changed because many newspapers refused to advertise it under the title David Mamet originally gave it.

B-19. “Isn't it funny? You hear a phone ring and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it? Doesn’t it?”

B-20. This Busby Berkeley extravaganza spawned the second song to win an Oscar.

B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”
“Am I supposed to feel sorry for you?”
“No, you were supposed to die for me.”

B-22. The chief villain of this brutal prison drama was played by the husband of one of the actresses on List A.

B-23. “This man is black. We can all see that. But can we also see as easily that which is equally true: that he is the only true hero in this room? Now, if he were white, he wouldn't be standing before this court fighting for his life. If he were white and his enslavers were British, he wouldn't be standing, so heavy the weight of the medals and honors we would bestow upon him. Songs would be written about him. The great authors of our times would fill books about him. His story would be told and retold, in our classrooms. Our children, because we would make sure of it, would know his name as well as they know Patrick Henry's.”

B-24. The island referenced in the title of this 1960 film is located in the Bay of Fundy.

B-25. “If it wasn't for Jews, fags, and gypsies, there would be no theater.”

B-26. When Times critic Bosley Crowther dismissed this 1967 classic as “a cheap piece of bald-faced slapstick comedy,” he ended up doing more damage to his reputation than to the movie.

B-27. “I told him I'd be ready on my 20th birthday.”
“But that's tomorrow. And will you be ready?”
“Well, that all depends.”
“What on?”
“Whether or not the furniture comes back.”

B-28. This movie starring my favorite actor was based on the same Pulitzer Prize-winning play as one of my favorite Frank Loesser musicals.

B-29. “All right, all right you can have it! You can have the doll! I'll give it to you if you'll ... if you'll just go and ... and....“
“Yes, Susy?“
“Not hurt me.“
“Say please.”

B-30. The director of this film noir – which had perhaps the quintessential Red Scare title – got his only Oscar nomination fifteen years later at the helm of a Walt Disney film.

B-31. “Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to follow. What we need are heroes.”

B-32. Speaking of Bosley Crowther – as we were back in Clue B-26 – he dismissed this film by the most prominent female director of the 1940s as a "cliché-ridden, garbled repetition of the story of the aches and pains in a dancer's rise to fame and fortune.” (It has since achieved a somewhat higher reputation.)

B-33. “All right. This one time I'll let you ask me about my affairs.”
“Is it true? Is it?”
“No.”

B-34. Most critics agreed that this 1998 movie was unintelligible to anyone who did not follow the mythos of the television series from which it sprang, though it did seem to answer at least some questions that fans had been debating for years.

B-35. “Whoo, that little peanut can sing!”
“He really can. It sounds to me, though, Gail, like his boys haven't dropped yet, if you know what I mean.”
“If you mean his testicles, then I do, John. I do. I really do.”

B-36. British playwright Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this glossy all-star extravaganza made up of three episodes that take place in London, Genoa, and Trieste.

B-37. “He looks like a deranged Easter Bunny.”

B-38. This Israeli-American actioner was the final film of one of Hollywood’s most macho stars.

B-39. “I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us. Bear Otto, the Lambston kids, the Hamiltons, the Prescotts, the teenaged boys and girls from Bartlett Hill Road, Pete, Suzy, Laura, Rick, Sean Walker, Nicole Burnell, Billy Ansel's twins, Jessica and Mason ... all the children of my town.”

B-40. This title of this 1974 crime drama takes its name from a gang that calls itself “ninkyō dantai” (chivalrous organization.)

B-41. “This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.”
“A hospital? What is it?”
“It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.”

B-42. Gene Kelly was not amused by the most disturbing scene in this 1971 movie. Not in the slightest.

B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”

B-44. This 1935 film featured Hollywood’s first dance sequence between interracial partners. (The sequence was not shown in the South. Of course.)

B-45. “I'm saying that Stonewall Jackson was trash himself. Him and Lee and all the rest of them rebs. You, too.”
“You're a low-down Yankee liar.”
“Prove it.”
Last edited by franktangredi on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

Re: Game #167 – It’s All in the Title

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

[quote="franktangredi"]Game #167 – It’s All in the Title

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 84 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty-five movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

I am sure alternate answers will pop up. We’ll consider it done when every clue has been legitimately used.

A-4. A recipient of a Purple Heart for his service in World War II, this actor went on to survive arguably the two best World War II action flicks of the 1960s.

CHARLES BRONSON

A-7. “You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna! But you keep it all inside.”

ROBIN WILLIAMS

A-8. This Bahamian-born actor received both a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II and the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama.

SIDNEY POITIER

A-15. “They may think it's twice as safe because there's two of them, but it isn't twice as safe. It's ten times twice as dangerous. They've committed a murder. And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”

EDWARD G. ROBINSON?

A-24. When he received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, he broke Alec Baldwin’s seven-year winning streak.

JEFFREY TAMBOR

A-27. “I'd like to think that sometime, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, there'd be something I could laugh at. Anything.”

SPENCER TRACY

A-32. Though only eleven years older than Charlton Heston, she played his mother in two major films of the 1950s.

MARTHA SCOTT

A-34. He is the only actor to receive an Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Herman Melville.

TERENCE STAMP
A-43. “All of you know what I stand for - what I believe! I believe in the truth of the Book of Genesis! Exodus! Leviticus! Numbers! Deuteronomy! Joshua! Judges! Ruth! First Samuel! Second Samuel! First Kings! Second Kings! Isaiah! Jeremiah! Lamentations! Ezekiel!”

FREDERIC MARCH

A-49. “We got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”

MICHAEL KEATON

A-52. She has appeared in film adaptations of novels by Ray Bradbury, Thomas Hardy, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Rebecca West, and some Russian dude.

JULIE CHRISTIE

A-66. In 1993, this actress became the youngest person ever to host a syndicated talk show. (The record has since been broken.)

RICKI LAKE

A-69. “Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me, I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done. “

GARY COOPER

-72. This actor – best known for his role as a TV detective – was inducted into the Mustache Hall of Fame in 2015. (Other actors afforded this honor include Richard Pryor, Burt Reynolds, Sam Elliott, and Billy Dee Williams.)

TOM SELLECK

B-8. This 1937 thriller was based on a play by the same Welsh author who also gave us {i]The Corn Is Green.[/i]

NIGHT MUST FALL

B-11. “The last miracle I did was the 1969 Mets. Before that, I think you have to go back to the Red Sea.”

OH GOD

B-16. This adaptation of a Henry James novella was shot on location at a Gothic mansion in Sussex, England.

THE INNOCENTS

B-18. The title of this movie had to be changed because many newspapers refused to advertise it under the title David Mamet originally gave it.

ABOUT LAST NIGHT

B-29. “All right, all right you can have it! You can have the doll! I'll give it to you if you'll ... if you'll just go and ... and....“
“Yes, Susy?“
“Not hurt me.“
“Say please.”

WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-30. The director of this film noir – which had perhaps the quintessential Red Scare title – got his only Oscar nomination fifteen years later at the helm of a Walt Disney film.

“Is it true? Is it?”
“No.”

THE GODFATHER

B-34. Most critics agreed that this 1998 movie was unintelligible to anyone who did not follow the mythos of the television series from which it sprang, though it did seem to answer at least some questions that fans had been debating for years.

THE X FILES

B-40. This title of this 1974 crime drama takes its name from a gang that calls itself “ninkyō dantai” (chivalrous organization.)

THE YAKUZA

AIRPLANE

B-42. Gene Kelly was not amused by the most disturbing scene in this 1971 movie. Not in the slightest.

CLOCKWORK ORANGE
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 am

Robin Williams

Bill Pullman

A-23. “I am making out the report now. We haven't quite decided yet whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”
Claude Rains

A-31. “Now, the problem is how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.”
Michael Caine

A-47. “For the past 50 years or so I've been getting more and more worried about Christmas. Seems we're all so busy trying to beat the other fellow in making things go faster and look shinier and cost less that Christmas and I are sort of getting lost in the shuffle.”
Edmund Gwenn

Michael Keaton

Kevin Costner

A-67. “You want to know why I came back so fast? I got to the end of our lane. I couldn't remember where the old town road was. I went a little ways in the woods. There was nothing familiar. Not one damn tree. Scared me half to death. That's why I came running back here to you. So I could see your pretty face and I could feel safe and that I was still me.”
Henry Fonda

Oh, God!

B-23. “This man is black. We can all see that. But can we also see as easily that which is equally true: that he is the only true hero in this room? Now, if he were white, he wouldn't be standing before this court fighting for his life. If he were white and his enslavers were British, he wouldn't be standing, so heavy the weight of the medals and honors we would bestow upon him. Songs would be written about him. The great authors of our times would fill books about him. His story would be told and retold, in our classrooms. Our children, because we would make sure of it, would know his name as well as they know Patrick Henry's.”
Amistad
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

PanicinDetroit

#4 Post by PanicinDetroit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:18 pm

A-3. “You got that from Vickers' Work in Essex County, page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you palm it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f**kin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!”
MATT DAMON

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:27 pm

franktangredi wrote: A-38. He starred in the film version of the play reference in Clue A-18.
The play/movie is Whose Life Is It, Anyway and the movie actor is RICHARD DREYFUSS.

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm

franktangredi wrote:Game #167 – It’s All in the Title

A-2. The first of her seven Oscar nominations put her in direct competition with her own sister.

Joan Fontaine or Olivia de Havilland?

ROBIN WILLIAMS

Sidney Poitier?

Harvey Keitel??? WAG -- thinking Thelma and Louise

It's from Spaceballs. Is it Mel Brooks himself?

CLAUDE RAINS (Casablanca)

Baldwin kept winning for 30 Rock. Don't know who his successor was. Big Bang Theory guy, mebbe?

Gregory Peck? Seems too obvious.

A-35. “The way I see it, there's only two possible outcomes. Either I make it down there in one piece and I have one hell of a story to tell. Or I burn up in the next ten minutes. Either way whichever way, no harm no foul. ’Cause either way, it'll be one hell of a ride.”

Bruce Willis? Thinking Armageddon

A-36. A tragic event in the life of this actress inspired a 1962 novel by Agatha Christie.

GENE TIERNEY

This is Inherit the Wind, but I can't remember the name of the guy who played Bryan's role

A-48. Her last on-screen appearance to date was 24 years ago, playing the mother of Tom Hanks.

JOANNE WOODWARD

A-64. In July 2017, this onetime sex symbol and photojournalist celebrated her 90th birthday.

Gina Lollabrigida?

HENRY FONDA

A-72. This actor – best known for his role as a TV detective – was inducted into the Mustache Hall of Fame in 2015. (Other actors afforded this honor include Richard Pryor, Burt Reynolds, Sam Elliott, and Billy Dee Williams.)

Dennis Weaver?

B-3. “When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.”

The Court Jester?

B-5. “I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. Come on, Squishy. Come on, little Squishy.”

FINDING NEMO

Oh, God?

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell?

B-19. “Isn't it funny? You hear a phone ring and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it? Doesn’t it?”

Dammit I know this.

B-24. The island referenced in the title of this 1960 film is located in the Bay of Fundy.

SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO

“What on?”

The Graduate?

AIRPLANE

B-44. This 1935 film featured Hollywood’s first dance sequence between interracial partners. (The sequence was not shown in the South. Of course.)

The Little Colonel?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:34 pm

first pass

A-1. “And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?”

JIMMY STEWART

OLIVIA DEHAVILAND??

CHARLES BRONSON

A-5. “I'm going to show you what yum-yum is. Here's yum.... Here's the other yum.... And here's yum-yum.”

BARBARA STANWYCK

A-6. She won both her Oscars for movies adapted from works that had won the Pulitzer Prize.

VIVIEN LEIGH

ROBIN WILLIAMS

SIDNEY POITIER

A-10. Between 1958 and 1961, this former film star served as the eponymous host of a children’s anthology series featuring adaptations of famous fairy tales.

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

A-12. He made his film debut in a popular 1982 comedy as one of two characters listed in the credits simply as “Stoner Bud.” (His fellow stoner lurks elsewhere in this game.)

I think this one is ERIC STOLTZ

EDWARD G ROBINSON

A-16. It is generally considered that one of Ava Gardner’s most famous film roles was modeled on this other Hollywood sex symbol.

RITA HAYWORTH

A-19. “I can hear you whisperin,' children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience children. I'm coming to find you now.”

ROBERT MITCHUM

A-21. “Playwrights teach us nothing about love. They make it pretty, they make it comical, or they make it lust, but they cannot make it true.”

DAME JUDI DENCH

CLAUDE RAINS

A-25. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”

RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-26. In 1947, this actor made his debut behind the camera, directing himself in the role of a classic hard-boiled detective.

ROBERT MONTGOMERY?

SPENCER TRACY

A-28. Chronic asthma shortened both the life and filmography of this British actor, who got through his last film role in 1958 with the help of oxygen and a nurse.

ROBERT DONAT

MARTHA SCOTT

TERENCE STAMP? IN BILLY BUDD??

GENE TIERNEY

A-37. “It's there all the time, driving me out to wander the streets, following me, silently, but I can feel it there. It's me, pursuing myself! I want to escape, to escape from myself! But it's impossible. I can't escape, I have to obey it. I have to run, run ... endless streets. I want to escape, to get away! And I'm pursued by ghosts. Ghosts of mothers and of those children ... they never leave me. They are always there ... always, always, always!”

PETER LORRE???

A-40. This famously reclusive actress suffered from chronic stage fright – a fact which resulted in Judy Holliday getting her big break on Broadway.

JEAN ARTHUR

FREDRIC MARCH

A-45. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”

EVE ARDEN

EVA MARIE SAINT?

MICHAEL KEATON

SHIRLEY BOOTH??

WILLIAM POWELL

A-54. She won her only Oscar the same year her brother won the first of his five Oscars.

SHIRLEY MACLAINE?

A-56. When this actor’s mother died in 1960, Noel Coward commented, “It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71.”

CLIFTON WEBB

KEVIN COSTNER

PETER O'TOOLE

GARY COOPER?

A-73. “From what I've heard, your singing career was almost non-existent, and your married lover wants you dead. If you're fooling anyone, it is only yourself. God has brought you here. Take the hint.”

MAGGIE SMITH

A-75. "Young? You been stomping around her in those boots like you owned the place, thinking every woman you saw as gonna fall madly in love. But here's one woman didn't pay you any mind. Aristocratic millionaire, my foot! You wouldn't know an aristocratic millionaire if he spit on you. Braggin' about your father, and I bet he wasn't any better'n you are. You think just 'cause you're a man, you can walk in here and make off with whatever you like. You think just 'cause you're young you can push other people aside and not pay them any mind. You think just cause you're strong you can show your muscles and nobody'll know what a pitiful specimen you are. But you won't stay young forever, didja ever thinka that? What'll become of you then? You'll end your life in the gutter and it'll serve you right, 'cause the gutter's where you came from and the gutter's where you belong."

BETTY FIELD? To Holden in Picnic?

A-77. “Colin's not a blind man as long as he's with me. And he's going with me!”

JAMES GARNER

A-79. “Miss Huberman is first, last, and always not a lady. She may be risking her life, but when it comes to being a lady, she doesn't hold a candle to your wife, sitting in Washington, playing bridge with three other ladies of great honor and virtue.”

CARY GRANT

A-80. The nerve damage her right hand sustained during the filming of one of the most exciting scenes in movie history plagued her for the remaining 73 years of her life.

LILLIAN GISH

“Well, it's no trick to make a lot of money ... if all you want to do is make a lot of money.”

CITIZEN KANE

B-2. George Cukor received his first Oscar nomination for this adaptation of a classic 1868 novel.

LITTLE WOMEN

B-6. The King of Hollywood reprised his role in this film in a remake 22 years later.

RED DUST

NIGHT MUST FALL

OH, GOD! ??

B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.

THE WOMEN?

ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL

“I haven't the time. I'm much too busy seeing that you don't lose any of the money I married you for.”

THIS IS WILLIAM POWELL AND MYRNA LOY BUT WHICH THIN MAN MOVIE, I AM NOT SURE.

THE INNOCENTS?

GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935

AMISTAD

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (REMAKE)

B-26. When Times critic Bosley Crowther dismissed this 1967 classic as “a cheap piece of bald-faced slapstick comedy,” he ended up doing more damage to his reputation than to the movie.

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”

BABY DOLL

B-28. This movie starring my favorite actor was based on the same Pulitzer Prize-winning play as one of my favorite Frank Loesser musicals.

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED (Which becomes Most Happy Fella)

“Yes, Susy?“
“Not hurt me.“
“Say please.”

WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-32. Speaking of Bosley Crowther – as we were back in Clue B-26 – he dismissed this film by the most prominent female director of the 1940s as a "cliché-ridden, garbled repetition of the story of the aches and pains in a dancer's rise to fame and fortune.” (It has since achieved a somewhat higher reputation.)

DANCE, GIRL, DANCE

“Is it true? Is it?”
“No.”

THE GODFATHER

B-36. British playwright Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this glossy all-star extravaganza made up of three episodes that take place in London, Genoa, and Trieste.

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE??

A CHRISTMAS STORY

AIRPLANE

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

THE LITTLE COLONEL. THE LITTLEST REBEL. Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson

B-45. “I'm saying that Stonewall Jackson was trash himself. Him and Lee and all the rest of them rebs. You, too.”
“Prove it.”

SHANE

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Boy, I see a lot of co-stars in these answers.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:00 pm

I don't think the numbers add up. 84 pairs and 3 triples result in 90 actors, but 9 actors being used twice and two actors being used three times results in 93 actors. Also, it looks like we need 87 movies according to the first sentence and 91 movies according to the second sentence. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

franktangredi

#10 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

I don't think the numbers add up. 84 pairs and 3 triples result in 90 actors, but 9 actors being used twice and two actors being used three times results in 93 actors. Also, it looks like we need 87 movies according to the first sentence and 91 movies according to the second sentence. --Bob
Sorry. I made a last minute change and forgot to recalculate the numbers. That should have been 87 pairs and 3 triples.
24 movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 am

Game #167 – It’s All in the Title

Olivia de Havilland?

James Coburn?

The film is Fast Times at Ridgemont Highwhich means Sean Penn is here somewhere, but I don't remember who played his friend

Harvey Keitel in Thelma and Louise?

Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter

Claude Rains in Casablanca

Linda Hamilton in The Terminator?

Carroll O'Connor?

Either Michael Caine or Sean Connery in The Man Who Would Be King

A-44. He first came to prominence playing the title role of a sitcom set in the 15th century … and the 16th century … and the 18th century … and the 20th century.

Rowan Atkinson

Ed Wynn in Miracle on 34th Street

Joanne Woodward

Shirley Booth?

A-63. “It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans.”

Leslie Nielsen in The Naked Gun

A-70. She and her husband were the first of three married couples to jointly receive the Kennedy Center Honors.

Anne Bancroft?

Tom Selleck

A-76. In addition to getting three Oscar nominations for acting, he has co-produced five movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including two that won.

Michael Douglas?

James Garner in The Great Escape

Finding Nemo

Oh God

The Turn of the Screw?

Sunrise at Campobello

The Matchmaker?

“Yes, Susy?“
“Not hurt me.“
“Say please.”

Wait Until Dark

The X Files?

Airplane

A Clockwork Orange

Shirley Temple and Bill Bojangles Robinson were the dancers. I don't know the film
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

franktangredi wrote: A-42. This Oscar-winning actress had her biggest commercial success with a live action reboot of a Disney animated classic.
I think this could be Angelina Jolie; Maleficent made a lot of money.

ne1410s

#13 Post by ne1410s » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I think A-30 is Don Knotts
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

jarnon

#14 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:44 pm

We have enough answers for the first consolidation.

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 87 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty-four movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

JIMMY STEWART

JOAN FONTAINE? OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND?

MATT DAMON

CHARLES BRONSON

BARBARA STANWYCK

VIVIEN LEIGH

ROBIN WILLIAMS

SIDNEY POITIER

A-9. “You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have balls. Now, you got too much of one and not enough of the other.”

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

A-11. “I despise rapists. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.”

ERIC STOLTZ?

A-13. “I'm going to smoke everyone involved in this op and then I'm going to kill bin Laden. ”

A-14. She and her then-husband shared one of the most romantic movie scenes of the 1940s – although in real life, their marriage was on the rocks due to her affair with the film’s producer.

EDWARD G. ROBINSON? HARVEY KEITEL?

RITA HAYWORTH

BILL PULLMAN

A-18. In 1979, this Scottish actor won a Tony award for his role as a quadriplegic who wants his life to be ended.

ROBERT MITCHUM

A-20. This British actress completed the “triple crown of acting” in 2015 when she won a Tony for playing the same real-life role that had previously won her an Oscar.

DAME JUDI DENCH

A-22. It has long been rumored that this Oscar-winning actor could give Dirk Diggler a run for his money, but he and his lawyer would like people to stop talking about it. (Good luck with that.)

CLAUDE RAINS

JEFFREY TAMBOR

RENEE ZELLWEGER

ROBERT MONTGOMERY?

SPENCER TRACY

ROBERT DONAT

CARROLL O'CONNOR? DON KNOTTS?

MICHAEL CAINE

MARTHA SCOTT

A-33. “Never get behind people traveling with infants. I've never seen a stroller collapse in less than 20 minutes. Old people are worse. Their bodies are littered with hidden metal and they never seem to appreciate how little time they have left. Bingo, Asians. They pack light, travel efficiently, and they have a thing for slip on shoes. Gotta love 'em.”

TERENCE STAMP

BRUCE WILLIS?

GENE TIERNEY

PETER LORRE?

RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-39. “I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.”

JEAN ARTHUR

A-42. This Oscar-winning actress had her biggest commercial success with a live action reboot of a Disney animated classic.
ANGELINA JOLIE?

FREDRIC MARCH

ROWAN ATKINSON

EVE ARDEN

A-46. She completes this list: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Barbara Stanwyck, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Jane Fonda, _________.

EDMUND GWENN

JOANNE WOODWARD

MICHAEL KEATON

SHIRLEY BOOTH?

JULIE CHRISTIE

WILLIAM POWELL

SHIRLEY MACLAINE?

CLIFTON WEBB

A-57. “Mrs. Peters, in a half-an-hour there's going to be a full-on nuclear attack. The missiles are on their way now. L.A.'s going to be a desert again very soon.”

KEVIN COSTNER

A-60. Her last feature film was also the last feature film personally produced by Walt Disney.

A-61. “Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama, alligators are ornery 'cause of their medulla oblongata! And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them, too!”

LESLIE NIELSEN

GINA LOLLABRIGIDA?

PETER O'TOOLE

RICKI LAKE

HENRY FONDA

A-68. Presenting the Oscar for Art Direction in 1993, he took the opportunity to give a speech denouncing China – a move that got him banned from both the Oscars and China.

GARY COOPER

ANNE BANCROFT?

A-71.” Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?”

TOM SELLECK

MAGGIE SMITH

A-74. She received her only Oscar nomination for a comedy in which she played opposite the actor she had divorced three years earlier (and who is represented elsewhere in this game.)

BETTY FIELD?

MICHAEL DOUGLAS?

JAMES GARNER

A-78. Directors under whom this actress has worked include Ron Howard, Barbet Schroder, Taylor Hackford, Sam Mendes, Joel Coen, Robert Altman, and Quentin Tarantino.

JAMES GARNER

LILLIAN GISH

CITIZEN KANE

LITTLE WOMEN

THE COURT JESTER?

B-4. Her impressive bodily contortions helped this film’s leading lady win the MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance in 2006.

FINDING NEMO

RED DUST

“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“Nuclear holocaust!”

NIGHT MUST FALL

B-9. “I ... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead ... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women and the children, too. They're like animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!”

OH, GOD!

THE WOMEN?

“Soft mattress?”
“Yeah, it could have been the soft mattress. Or the midnight rape. Or the nude gay art show that took place in my room. One of those probably added to the lack of sleep.”

THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL?

THE INNOCENTS? THE TURN OF THE SCREW?

B-17. “Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

ABOUT LAST NIGHT

GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935

B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”

B-22. The chief villain of this brutal prison drama was played by the husband of one of the actresses on List A.

AMISTAD

SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Remake)

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED

“Yes, Susy?“
“Not hurt me.“
“Say please.”
WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-31. “Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to follow. What we need are heroes.”

DANCE, GIRL, DANCE

“Is it true? Is it?”
“No.”
THE GODFATHER

THE X FILES

“He really can. It sounds to me, though, Gail, like his boys haven't dropped yet, if you know what I mean.”

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

A CHRISTMAS STORY

B-38. This Israeli-American actioner was the final film of one of Hollywood’s most macho stars.

B-39. “I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us. Bear Otto, the Lambston kids, the Hamiltons, the Prescotts, the teenaged boys and girls from Bartlett Hill Road, Pete, Suzy, Laura, Rick, Sean Walker, Nicole Burnell, Billy Ansel's twins, Jessica and Mason ... all the children of my town.”

THE YAKUZA

AIRPLANE

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”

THE LITTLE COLONEL? THE LITTLEST REBEL?

“Prove it.”
SHANE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm

A-33 is George Clooney in Up in the Air. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm

I wonder whether B-30 is The Russians Are Coming. I'm not particularly familiar with that movie, but what little I know makes me question whether it qualifies as film noir. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I wonder whether B-30 is The Russians Are Coming. I'm not particularly familiar with that movie, but what little I know makes me question whether it qualifies as film noir. --Bob
My second guess on this one was correct. It's I MARRIED A COMMUNIST (my first guess was I Was a Communist for the FBI), directed by Robert Stevenson, who later directed Mary Poppins.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 pm

franktangredi wrote: B-38. This Israeli-American actioner was the final film of one of Hollywood’s most macho stars.
I should have gotten this one yesterday. It's DELTA FORCE, starring Chuck Norris, and the macho star is Lee Marvin.

mellytu74

#19 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:53 pm

jarnon wrote:

I think this is PAUL NEWMAN in The Color of Money.

This is JESSICA CHASTAIN in Zero Dark Thirty

TOM CONTI?

For heaven's sake.... it's HELEN MIRREN. Queen Elizabeth

Another duh -- DUSTIN HOFFMAN in Rain Man. Underwear is underwear, Ray.

I think this is ERIC BLORE.

This is ORSON WELLES in The Third Man. With Joseph Cotten

CAROLE LOMBARD - My Man Godfrey

I was right, Myrna and Bill. The original THE THIN MAN.

franktangredi

#20 Post by franktangredi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 pm

On the actors list:

Two of the definites are wrong. (In one case, I think it was a typo, since the same actor appears twice.

Of the answers with a question mark, six are right and five are wrong. (One is a definite case of 'right church, wrong pew.')

Of the answers with two alternates, two include the correct answer and one does not.

On the movies list:

All the definites are correct.

Of the answers with a question mark, four are right and one is wrong

All of the answers with two alternates include the correct answer.

All answers given since this consolidation are correct.
jarnon wrote:We have enough answers for the first consolidation.

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 87 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty-four movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

JIMMY STEWART

MATT DAMON

CHARLES BRONSON

BARBARA STANWYCK

VIVIEN LEIGH

ROBIN WILLIAMS

SIDNEY POITIER

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

ERIC STOLTZ?

EDWARD G. ROBINSON? HARVEY KEITEL?

RITA HAYWORTH

BILL PULLMAN

ROBERT MITCHUM

DAME JUDI DENCH

CLAUDE RAINS

JEFFREY TAMBOR

RENEE ZELLWEGER

ROBERT MONTGOMERY?

SPENCER TRACY

ROBERT DONAT

CARROLL O'CONNOR? DON KNOTTS?

MICHAEL CAINE

MARTHA SCOTT

TERENCE STAMP

BRUCE WILLIS?

GENE TIERNEY

PETER LORRE?

RICHARD DREYFUSS

JEAN ARTHUR

ANGELINA JOLIE?

FREDRIC MARCH

ROWAN ATKINSON

EVE ARDEN

EDMUND GWENN

JOANNE WOODWARD

MICHAEL KEATON

SHIRLEY BOOTH?

JULIE CHRISTIE

WILLIAM POWELL

SHIRLEY MACLAINE?

CLIFTON WEBB

KEVIN COSTNER

LESLIE NIELSEN

GINA LOLLABRIGIDA?

PETER O'TOOLE

RICKI LAKE

HENRY FONDA

GARY COOPER

ANNE BANCROFT?

TOM SELLECK

MAGGIE SMITH

BETTY FIELD?

MICHAEL DOUGLAS?

JAMES GARNER

JAMES GARNER

LILLIAN GISH

CITIZEN KANE

LITTLE WOMEN

THE COURT JESTER?

FINDING NEMO

RED DUST

“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“Nuclear holocaust!”

NIGHT MUST FALL

OH, GOD!

THE WOMEN?

“Soft mattress?”

THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL?

THE INNOCENTS? THE TURN OF THE SCREW?

ABOUT LAST NIGHT

GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935

AMISTAD

SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Remake)

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED

“Yes, Susy?“
“Not hurt me.“
“Say please.”
WAIT UNTIL DARK

DANCE, GIRL, DANCE

“Is it true? Is it?”
“No.”
THE GODFATHER

THE X FILES

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

A CHRISTMAS STORY

THE YAKUZA

AIRPLANE

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

THE LITTLE COLONEL? THE LITTLEST REBEL?

“Prove it.”
SHANE

Estonut
Evil Genius

#21 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 am

jarnon wrote:A-2. The first of her seven Oscar nominations put her in direct competition with her own sister.
This is neither of them. A roommate BitD loved Olivia and I know that she had 5 nominations while her sister Joan had 3. I don't know of any other pair of sisters who came even close.

These must have been for non-acting categories.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#22 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:22 am

Paul Newman

John Malkovich

Jessica Chastain

Billy Crystal

CARROLL O'CONNOR? DON KNOTTS? - Definitely Don Knotts.

A-46. She completes this list: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Barbara Stanwyck, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton. (AFI Lifetime Achievement Award)

Eva Green

This was either the 1st or 2nd Star Wars prequel - Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) said it.

“Soft mattress?”
Wedding Crashers

Seems too obvious, but I'd swear this was "Phone Booth."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

franktangredi

#23 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 am

Estonut wrote:
jarnon wrote:A-2. The first of her seven Oscar nominations put her in direct competition with her own sister.
This is neither of them. A roommate BitD loved Olivia and I know that she had 5 nominations while her sister Joan had 3. I don't know of any other pair of sisters who came even close.

That should have been six Oscar nominations, not seven. Sorry.

Everything else about the clue stands. And yes, there is one other pair of sisters with a combined eight nominations.

mellytu74

#24 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:45 am

franktangredi wrote:
Estonut wrote:

That should have been six Oscar nominations, not seven. Sorry.

Everything else about the clue stands. And yes, there is one other pair of sisters with a combined eight nominations.
How about VANESSA REDGRAVE? Opposite Lynn for Georgy Girl when she was nominated for Morgan or Isadora? Not sure of the time frame.

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 am

Just a thought and I'm not sure if there's anything to it. Ricki Lake is best known for Hairspray (the original) but she also appeared in the musical version. Michael Caine appeared in both versions of Sleuth. Sidney Poitier's first film was No Way Out, and Kevin Costner appeared in an unrelated film called No Way Out. Clifton Webb appeared in Titanic and I understand there was another movie with that name a few years later (I'm pretty sure Webb wasn't in it).

This is probably just random noise but I'm trying to see if anything sticks.