Game #170 – It’s All in the Title

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: Game #167 – It’s All in the Title

#51 Post by jarnon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Friday consolidation:

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 87 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Nine actors will be used twice and two will be used three times.

Twenty-four movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

I am sure alternate answers will pop up. We’ll consider it done when every clue has been legitimately used.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2.VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN

A-14. She and her then-husband shared one of the most romantic movie scenes of the 1940s – although in real life, their marriage was on the rocks due to her affair with the film’s producer.
JENNIFER JONES?

A-15. “They may think it's twice as safe because there's two of them, but it isn't twice as safe. It's ten times twice as dangerous. They've committed a murder. And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”
EDWARD G. ROBINSON

A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

A-22. It has long been rumored that this Oscar-winning actor could give Dirk Diggler a run for his money, but he and his lawyer would like people to stop talking about it. (Good luck with that.)
NICOLAS CAGE? JAMES WOODS?

A-23. CLAUDE RAINS
A-24. TY BURRELL
A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP
A-35. SANDRA BULLOCK
A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-39. “I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.”
SAM ROCKWELL

A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH

A-51. “My life is a game of strip poker. Want to play?’

A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER
A-55. JIM CARREY
A-56. CLIFTON WEBB

A-57. “Mrs. Peters, in a half-an-hour there's going to be a full-on nuclear attack. The missiles are on their way now. L.A.'s going to be a desert again very soon.”
GENE HACKMAN

A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

A-60. Her last feature film was also the last feature film personally produced by Walt Disney.

A-61. ADAM SANDLER
A-62. ERIC BLORE
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA

A-68. Presenting the Oscar for Art Direction in 1993, he took the opportunity to give a speech denouncing China – a move that got him banned from both the Oscars and China.

A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-75. ROSALIND RUSSELL
A-76. BRAD PITT
A-77. JAMES GARNER
A-78. JENNIFER JASON LEIGH
A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

B-3. “When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.”
THE COURT JESTER?

B-4. Her impressive bodily contortions helped this film’s leading lady win the MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance in 2006.

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST
B-7. JUNGLE FEVER
B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-9. “I ... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead ... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women and the children, too. They're like animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!”
STAR WARS EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES

B-10. The cast of this film included the actors in Clues A-7 and A-70.
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP?

B-11. OH, GOD!

B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.
THE WOMEN?

B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS

B-14. This 1939 biopic gave rise to a new nickname for an 1876 invention.
THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL

B-15. THE THIN MAN
B-16. THE INNOCENTS

B-17. “Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH
B-20. GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935

B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”
“Am I supposed to feel sorry for you?”
“No, you were supposed to die for me.”

B-22. BRUTE FORCE
B-23. AMISTAD
B-24. SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO
B-25. TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Remake)

B-26. When Times critic Bosley Crowther dismissed this 1967 classic as “a cheap piece of bald-faced slapstick comedy,” he ended up doing more damage to his reputation than to the movie.
BONNIE AND CLYDE?

B-27. “I told him I'd be ready on my 20th birthday.”
“But that's tomorrow. And will you be ready?”
“Well, that all depends.”
“What on?”
“Whether or not the furniture comes back.”
BABY DOLL?

B-28. THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED
B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK
B-30. I MARRIED A COMMUNIST

B-31. “Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to follow. What we need are heroes.”

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES
B-35. PITCH PERFECT

B-36. British playwright Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this glossy all-star extravaganza made up of three episodes that take place in London, Genoa, and Trieste.
YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-39. “I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us. Bear Otto, the Lambston kids, the Hamiltons, the Prescotts, the teenaged boys and girls from Bartlett Hill Road, Pete, Suzy, Laura, Rick, Sean Walker, Nicole Burnell, Billy Ansel's twins, Jessica and Mason ... all the children of my town.”

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK?

B-44. This 1935 film featured Hollywood’s first dance sequence between interracial partners. (The sequence was not shown in the South. Of course.)
THE LITTLE COLONEL? THE LITTLEST REBEL?

B-45. SHANE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#52 Post by franktangredi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Among the actors, one of the definites is wrong. I understand why he was guessed, but the quote really does not fit the situation in the movie.

The one answer with a question mark is correct.

The one that includes two possible actors does not include the correct one. One of the two actors suggested is rumored to qualify on one count, but definitely does not qualify on the other. The other definitely qualifies on the count the other actor does not qualify on, but I've never heard any rumors about him qualifying on the other. (I can't be the only person who's heard these rumors about the guy I have in mind!)

Someone previously identified the movie referred to in one of the unanswered clues, but could not remember the right performer.

Among the movies, the one with two alternates includes the correct answer. Of those with a question mark, five are right and two are wrong. One guess does not fit the quote at all. The other is a good guess, but nobody in that movie actually qualifies (as far as I know.)

jarnon wrote:Friday consolidation:

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 87 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty-four movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

I am sure alternate answers will pop up. We’ll consider it done when every clue has been legitimately used.

A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2.VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN

A-14. She and her then-husband shared one of the most romantic movie scenes of the 1940s – although in real life, their marriage was on the rocks due to her affair with the film’s producer.
JENNIFER JONES?

A-15. “They may think it's twice as safe because there's two of them, but it isn't twice as safe. It's ten times twice as dangerous. They've committed a murder. And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”
EDWARD G. ROBINSON

A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

A-22. It has long been rumored that this Oscar-winning actor could give Dirk Diggler a run for his money, but he and his lawyer would like people to stop talking about it. (Good luck with that.)
NICOLAS CAGE? JAMES WOODS?

A-23. CLAUDE RAINS
A-24. TY BURRELL
A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP
A-35. SANDRA BULLOCK
A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-39. “I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.”
SAM ROCKWELL

A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH

A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER
A-55. JIM CARREY
A-56. CLIFTON WEBB

A-57. “Mrs. Peters, in a half-an-hour there's going to be a full-on nuclear attack. The missiles are on their way now. L.A.'s going to be a desert again very soon.”
GENE HACKMAN

A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

A-60. Her last feature film was also the last feature film personally produced by Walt Disney.

A-61. ADAM SANDLER
A-62. ERIC BLORE
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA

A-68. Presenting the Oscar for Art Direction in 1993, he took the opportunity to give a speech denouncing China – a move that got him banned from both the Oscars and China.

A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-75. ROSALIND RUSSELL
A-76. BRAD PITT
A-77. JAMES GARNER
A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

B-3. “When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.”
THE COURT JESTER?

B-4. Her impressive bodily contortions helped this film’s leading lady win the MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance in 2006.

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST
B-7. JUNGLE FEVER
B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-9. “I ... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead ... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women and the children, too. They're like animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!”

B-11. OH, GOD!

B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.
THE WOMEN?

B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS

B-15. THE THIN MAN
B-16. THE INNOCENTS

B-17. “Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH

B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”

B-22. BRUTE FORCE
B-23. AMISTAD

B-26. When Times critic Bosley Crowther dismissed this 1967 classic as “a cheap piece of bald-faced slapstick comedy,” he ended up doing more damage to his reputation than to the movie.
BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
BABY DOLL?

B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-31. “Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to follow. What we need are heroes.”

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES
B-35. PITCH PERFECT

B-36. British playwright Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this glossy all-star extravaganza made up of three episodes that take place in London, Genoa, and Trieste.
YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-39. “I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us. Bear Otto, the Lambston kids, the Hamiltons, the Prescotts, the teenaged boys and girls from Bartlett Hill Road, Pete, Suzy, Laura, Rick, Sean Walker, Nicole Burnell, Billy Ansel's twins, Jessica and Mason ... all the children of my town.”

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK?

B-44. This 1935 film featured Hollywood’s first dance sequence between interracial partners. (The sequence was not shown in the South. Of course.)

B-45. SHANE

mellytu74

Re: Game #170 – It’s All in the Title

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:16 am

The A12 clue ... The other Stoner Bud is Anthony Edwards. Cage's credit is Brad's bud..

The Mrs Peter's quote is from a movie called Miracle Mile. Where it's said by Anthony Edwards.

The China one I should have gotten earlier -- it's Richard Gere.

mrkelley23

#54 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 am

A-51 is IAN MCKELLEN.

Once I quit trying to hear the quote in a woman's voice, I figured out why it sounded so familiar. Gods and Monsters. James Whale.

Sexist of me, I guess.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#55 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am

And B-17, the other one that has been nagging at me, is Michael Caine talking to Steve Martin in DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#56 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:Don't know if this will help someone or not, but:

I believe the movie was The Happiest Millionaire. The only cast members I remember, however, were Fred MacMurray, Lesley Anne Warren, and John Davidson.
The other cast members I remember are GREER GARSON and GLADYS COOPER. Could be either of them.

jarnon

#57 Post by jarnon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Sunday consolidation:

A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2.VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN
A-14. JENNIFER JONES
A-15. EDWARD G. ROBINSON
A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

A-23. CLAUDE RAINS
A-24. TY BURRELL
A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP
A-35. SANDRA BULLOCK
A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS
A-39. SAM ROCKWELL
A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH

IAN MCKELLEN

A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER
A-55. JIM CARREY
A-56. CLIFTON WEBB

ANTHONY EDWARDS

A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

(Actress from The Happiest Millionaire)

A-61. ADAM SANDLER
A-62. ERIC BLORE
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA

RICHARD GERE

A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-75. ROSALIND RUSSELL
A-76. BRAD PITT
A-77. JAMES GARNER
A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

THE COURT JESTER?

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST
B-7. JUNGLE FEVER
B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-11. OH, GOD!

THE WOMEN?

B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS

B-15. THE THIN MAN
B-16. THE INNOCENTS

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH

B-22. BRUTE FORCE
B-23. AMISTAD

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
BABY DOLL?

B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES
B-35. PITCH PERFECT

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK?

B-45. SHANE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#58 Post by franktangredi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:34 pm

The only wrong answers on here are two movies, each with a question mark.

jarnon wrote:Sunday consolidation:

A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2.VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN
A-14. JENNIFER JONES
A-15. EDWARD G. ROBINSON
A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

A-23. CLAUDE RAINS
A-24. TY BURRELL
A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP
A-35. SANDRA BULLOCK
A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS
A-39. SAM ROCKWELL
A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH

IAN MCKELLEN

A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER
A-55. JIM CARREY
A-56. CLIFTON WEBB

ANTHONY EDWARDS

A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

(Actress from The Happiest Millionaire)

A-61. ADAM SANDLER
A-62. ERIC BLORE
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA

RICHARD GERE

A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-75. ROSALIND RUSSELL
A-76. BRAD PITT
A-77. JAMES GARNER
A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

THE COURT JESTER?

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST
B-7. JUNGLE FEVER
B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-11. OH, GOD!

THE WOMEN?

B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS

B-15. THE THIN MAN
B-16. THE INNOCENTS

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH

B-22. BRUTE FORCE
B-23. AMISTAD

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
BABY DOLL?

B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES
B-35. PITCH PERFECT

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK?

B-45. SHANE

mrkelley23

#59 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:54 am

The well-endowed Oscar winner is apparently JARED LETO. I admit to some careful Googling with Private mode turned on.

B-43 is actually from POCOHANTAS

The only other movie I can see being wrong is THE WOMEN. It sure seems to make sense, but it's the only one that seems to be possible. So is it a Bette Davis movie, instead? Olivia de Havilland and her sister? I"m stumped.

franktangredi

#60 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 am

mrkelley23 wrote:The well-endowed Oscar winner is apparently JARED LETO. I admit to some careful Googling with Private mode turned on.

The only other movie I can see being wrong is THE WOMEN. It sure seems to make sense, but it's the only one that seems to be possible. So is it a Bette Davis movie, instead? Olivia de Havilland and her sister? I"m stumped.
I will confirm that it is Bette Davis and somebody whose feud with Davis made the Davis/Crawford feud look like a kindergarten slap fight.

mellytu74

#61 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:The well-endowed Oscar winner is apparently JARED LETO. I admit to some careful Googling with Private mode turned on.

I will confirm that it is Bette Davis and somebody whose feud with Davis made the Davis/Crawford feud look like a kindergarten slap fight.
I was thinking of Shearer and Crawford when I guessed The Women.

But, the confirmation of Bette Davis and 1939 can only mean one thing....

THE OLD MAID (with Miriam Hopkins). Allegedly, Davis got an enormous amount of satisfaction shaking Hopkins in one scene.

earendel

#62 Post by earendel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 am

jarnon wrote:B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”
This is from GOLDENEYE (said by the character played by Sean Bean)
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#63 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 pm

OK, I've got three pairs that make sense and fit the title. Let's see if this works:

Actor from A appeared in a movie with a personal title in the title (Ex. Mr. Miss, or Mrs.). Costar from that movie was also in a movie in List B. Here are my pairs. Feel free to play with the format of the answers -- as previously noted, my version is often clunky.

A-38 Richard Dreyfuss (Mr. Holland’s Opus) with Glenne Headly (B-17 Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)

A-49 Michael Keaton (Mr. Mom) with Teri Garr (B-11 Oh, God!)

A-19 Robert Mitchum (Heaven knows, Mr. Allison) with Deborah Kerr (B-16 The Innocents)

mrkelley23

#64 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

A-46 Diane Keaton (Mrs. Soffel) with Mel Gibson (B-43 Pocahontas)

mrkelley23

#65 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm

A-72 Tom Selleck (Mr. Baseball) with Ken Takakura (B-40 The Yakuza)

silverscreenselect

#66 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Both Adam Sandler and Gary Cooper played in versions of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (I think Sandler's version was just called Mr. Deeds).

Charles Bronson was Mr. Majestyk with Al Lettieri (The Godfather) (I just posted a review of this movie on Amazon).

Both Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt and Robert Montgomery/Carole Lombard did unrelated movies called Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Pitt's version co-starred Vince Vaughn from Wedding Crashers, so that's two of the three triples, at least partially.

Sidney Poitier - They Call Me Mr. Tibbs
Cary Grant - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Jimmy Stewart - Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation
Gina Lollabrigida - Buona Sera Mrs. Campbell
Clifton Webb - Mr. Scoutmaster
Don Knotts - The Incredible Mr. Limpet
Maggie Smith - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Robin Williams - Mrs. Doubtfire
Billy Crystal - Mr. Saturday Night
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#67 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Sandra Bullock as Miss Congeniality with Michael Caine from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

silverscreenselect

#68 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Both Spencer Tracy and Frederic March played different versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

silverscreenselect

#69 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 pm

jarnon wrote:
Greer Garson, who was Mrs. Miniver

silverscreenselect

#70 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Robin Williams was in Mrs. Doubtfire with Pierce Brosnan (Goldeneye)

mellytu74

#71 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Just got off the beach and heading to Boonie's nephew's house for dinner BUT before I go...some ideas.

Barbara Stanwyck - Mad Miss Manton with Henry Fonand The Two Mrs Carroll's with Bogart.

Claude Rains Mr Skeffington with Bette Davis (the Old Maid)

Jimmy Stewart - Mr Smith Goes to Washington with Jean Arthur of Shane

Shirley Temple - Little Miss Broadway

Jennifer Jones - Madame Bovary.

Dame Judi - Mrs Brown

Gene Tierney - Ghost and Mrs Muir

Jean Arthur - Devil.and Miss Jones

Shirley Booth - About Mrs Leslie with Robert Ryan

jarnon

#72 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:12 pm

WTG, mrkelley23!

*A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2. VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
*A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
*A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN
A-14. JENNIFER JONES
A-15. EDWARD G. ROBINSON
A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
*A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

JARED LETO

*A-23. CLAUDE RAINS
A-24. TY BURRELL
A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP
*A-35. SANDRA BULLOCK
A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
*A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS
A-39. SAM ROCKWELL
A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
*A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
*A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
*A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH
A-51. IAN MCKELLEN
A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER
A-55. JIM CARREY
A-56. CLIFTON WEBB
A-57. ANTHONY EDWARDS
A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

GREER GARSON

A-61. ADAM SANDLER
A-62. ERIC BLORE
*A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA
A-68. RICHARD GERE
A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
*A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-75. ROSALIND RUSSELL
*A-76. BRAD PITT
A-77. JAMES GARNER
A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN
B-3. THE COURT JESTER

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST
B-7. JUNGLE FEVER
B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL
B-9. STAR WARS EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES
B-10. THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP
*B-11. OH, GOD!

*B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.
THE OLD MAID

*B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS
B-14. THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL
B-15. THE THIN MAN
*B-16. THE INNOCENTS
**B-17. DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH

*B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”
GOLDENEYE

B-22. BRUTE FORCE
B-23. AMISTAD
B-26. BONNIE AND CLYDE
B-27. BABY DOLL
B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
*B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES
B-35. PITCH PERFECT
B-36. YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE
B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

*B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
*B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

*B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”
POCOHANTAS

*B-45. SHANE

TANGREDI:

Actor from List A is the title character of a movie with a personal title (e.g. Mr., Miss or Mrs.) in its title. Costar from that movie is also in a movie in List B.

MATCHES:

A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS (Mr. Holland’s Opus) with Glenne Headly (B-17. DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS)
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON (Mr. Mom) with Teri Garr (B-11. OH, GOD!)
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM (Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison) with Deborah Kerr (B-16. THE INNOCENTS)
A-46. DIANE KEATON (Mrs. Soffel) with Mel Gibson (B-43. POCAHONTAS)
A-72. TOM SELLECK (Mr. Baseball) with Ken Takakura (B-40. THE YAKUZA)
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON (Mr. Majestyk) with Al Lettieri (B-33. THE GODFATHER)
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE and A-76. BRAD PITT (Mr. and Mrs. Smith) with Vince Vaughn (B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS)
A-35. SANDRA BULLOCK (Miss Congeniality) with Michael Caine (B-17. DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS)
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS (Mrs. Doubtfire) with Pierce Brosnan (B-21. GOLDENEYE)
A-23. CLAUDE RAINS (Mr. Skeffington) with Bette Davis (B-12. THE OLD MAID)
A-1. JIMMY STEWART (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington) with Jean Arthur (B-45. SHANE)
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN (Mr. Magoo) with Malcolm McDowell (B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE)

PARTIAL MATCHES:

A-61. ADAM SANDLER (Mr. Deeds)
A-69. GARY COOPER (Mr. Deeds Goes to Town)
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY and A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD (Mr. and Mrs. Smith)
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER (They Call Me Mr. Tibbs)
A-79. CARY GRANT (Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House)
A-1. JIMMY STEWART (Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation)
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA (Buona Sera Mrs. Campbell)
A-56. CLIFTON WEBB (Mr. Scoutmaster)
A-30. DON KNOTTS (The Incredible Mr. Limpet)
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie)
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL (Mr. Saturday Night)
A-27. SPENCER TRACY (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)
A-60. GREER GARSON (Mrs. Miniver)
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK (Mad Miss Manton)
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK (The Two Mrs. Carroll’s)
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE (Little Miss Broadway)
A-14. JENNIFER JONES (Madame Bovary)
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH (Mrs. Brown)
A-36. GENE TIERNEY (Ghost and Mrs. Muir)
A-40. JEAN ARTHUR (Devil and Miss Jones)
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH (About Mrs. Leslie)
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN and A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD (Mr. and Mrs. Bridge)
Last edited by jarnon on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#73 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm

The third triple, at least in part, is Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward as Mr. and Mrs. Bridge.

silverscreenselect

#74 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Leslie Nielsen was Mr. Magoo, with Malcolm McDowell (Clockwork Orange) as the villain.

jarnon

#75 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:The third triple, at least in part, is Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward as Mr. and Mrs. Bridge.
So the Tangredi should be refined to exclude Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda as a partial triple for Mad Miss Manton. Let's say the actor from List A must be the title character.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי