VDH on our most Dystopian State

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Re: VDH on our most Dystopian State

#26 Post by BackInTex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:I'd like to see a citation from a government source showing that 1/3 of welfare recipients in the U.S. are in California.

Illegal immigrants can not receive welfare.

Without illegal immigrants, all those crops in the Central Valley are going to rot in the fields.
This includes a source. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

[mic drop]
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#27 Post by BackInTex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:06 am

And with the elimination of the state tax deduction, other states will no longer subsidize CA's welfare system.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:I'd like to see a citation from a government source showing that 1/3 of welfare recipients in the U.S. are in California.

Without illegal immigrants, all those crops in the Central Valley are going to rot in the fields.
An opinion column is not facts.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#29 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

cited in the article are sources, inc supplemental povert measure
Last edited by Beebs52 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#30 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
cited in the article are sources
No, cited are opinions, including quoting Victor Davis Hanson.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#31 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: An opinion column is not facts.
cited in the article are sources
No, cited are opinions, including quoting Victor Davis Hanson.
no, cited are links to census reports. Those have underlines, etc. It's an internet technique...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#32 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 am

Beebs52 wrote:

The measure used in that article factors in the cost of housing. Housing costs in California (particularly along the coast) are outrageously high, and that's because we've made it too hard to build housing. This is actually an issue where I think California could stand to get a little more conservative. I'd like my son to be able to afford to live here some day without needing to win the lottery to do so. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#33 Post by BackInTex » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 am

Bob78164 wrote:The measure used in that article factors in the cost of housing.
I'm hoping you agree with the use. It seems to me that when setting the poverty line, it should include housing costs. And that line is relative to the geography in play.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#34 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The measure used in that article factors in the cost of housing.
I'm hoping you agree with the use. It seems to me that when setting the poverty line, it should include housing costs. And that line is relative to the geography in play.
It's not just geography that makes California housing far too expensive. It's simply harder than it should be to build here. But the issue isn't that there aren't enough jobs, or enough good-paying jobs to go around. To the contrary, California farmers literally cannot find enough people who are willing to do the work -- they are at real risk of having crops rot on the ground. The issue is an artificially created housing shortage that has persisted for decades.

The cure for this isn't lower taxes. It's specific to housing, and my strongly preferred solution (like that of Paul Krugman) would be to ease some of the regulations preventing the creation of new housing stock. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson