Berkeley Sociologist Studies the Ape People

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Berkeley Sociologist Studies the Ape People

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Spock wrote:Once again-How condescending can you get-Even if the language is Amazon's they know their target market for this kind of work.

Their big selling point is that the author is reporting back to Panem (apparently, to the surprise of the reviewer) that she has grown to like some of the Ape People and that they are actually kind of like Americans-"people whose concerns are actually ones that all Americans share: the desire for community, the embrace of family, and hopes for their children."

And once again (to the apparent surprise of the reviewer)-that they (read half the country) are not duped into voting as they do, but that their political choices and views make sense in the context of their lives.

Also it is pretty tough to get away that her subtitle (Obviously, her words) indicates her inherent bias and the types of people she cherry-picked for the book.
She's not responsible for how Amazon chooses to market the book. As for the subtitle, again, particularly in light of the information we have from the blurb, I think attributing views to the author based on such thin reeds bears a higher-than-normal risk of error. I'll be interested in your views after you've actually read the book. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#27 Post by Spock » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Spock wrote:Once again-How condescending can you get-Even if the language is Amazon's they know their target market for this kind of work.

Their big selling point is that the author is reporting back to Panem (apparently, to the surprise of the reviewer) that she has grown to like some of the Ape People and that they are actually kind of like Americans-"people whose concerns are actually ones that all Americans share: the desire for community, the embrace of family, and hopes for their children."

And once again (to the apparent surprise of the reviewer)-that they (read half the country) are not duped into voting as they do, but that their political choices and views make sense in the context of their lives.

Also it is pretty tough to get away that her subtitle (Obviously, her words) indicates her inherent bias and the types of people she cherry-picked for the book.
She's not responsible for how Amazon chooses to market the book. As for the subtitle, again, particularly in light of the information we have from the blurb, I think attributing views to the author based on such thin reeds bears a higher-than-normal risk of error. I'll be interested in your views after you've actually read the book. --Bob
Well, we know that she was not going to come out with a book called "Hope in the Heartland", no matter what she found.

I will give her credit (according to the review) that she found that the political choices make sense for them. While in Fargo the other day, I picked up an alternative newspaper and the liberal columnist (I realize that there are no others in alternative newspapers) was implying that Senator Hoeven's position on a controversial pipeline was because he has investments in the oil field.

Geez, give Hoeven a little credit for the consistency of his views-do you think he would be against the pipeline if he didn't have oil investments?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
As far as reading it-this is the type of book that I will wait for the library to have. As any visitor to my home can attest-I have no problem buying books-Its a kind of sickness. However, as a matter of course, I try to read liberal books from the library-After all, I would not want to send any dirty profits their way.

BackInTex

#28 Post by BackInTex » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:20 am

Spock wrote:While in Fargo the other day, I picked up an alternative newspaper and the liberal columnist (I realize that there are no others in alternative newspapers) was implying that Senator Hoeven's position on a controversial pipeline was because he has investments in the oil field.

Geez, give Hoeven a little credit for the consistency of his views-do you think he would be against the pipeline if he didn't have oil investments?
And Warren Buffet fought the TransCanada pipeline, and others, because of his investment in BNSF. He's making a ton of money transporting oil over rail, which is far more dangerous and environmentally unfriendly than pipelines.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:35 am

BackInTex wrote:
Spock wrote:While in Fargo the other day, I picked up an alternative newspaper and the liberal columnist (I realize that there are no others in alternative newspapers) was implying that Senator Hoeven's position on a controversial pipeline was because he has investments in the oil field.

And Warren Buffet fought the TransCanada pipeline, and others, because of his investment in BNSF. He's making a ton of money transporting oil over rail, which is far more dangerous and environmentally unfriendly than pipelines.
There were three major pipeline breaks last week. I don't know whether pipelines or rail are more dangerous. How about we hurry up and just stop using the stuff?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#30 Post by jarnon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:00 am

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

There were three major pipeline breaks last week. I don't know whether pipelines or rail are more dangerous. How about we hurry up and just stop using the stuff?
Rail accidents often cause fires and the release of toxic fumes in populated areas. And running the trains consumes energy and pollutes. OTOH, pipelines have to be built, while railroad lines are already there. On the whole, as long as we need the oil or gas, I'd prefer a pipeline.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#31 Post by Spock » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:33 am

Re: Mike Rowe's and politics:

He is very clear that he is non-partisan and will support candidates who come his way on their education policies supporting the Trades and so forth.

IIRC-in 2012-Romney threw him some bones-The Obama campaign never gave him the time of day.

2016-It is not surprising that Trump is throwing him some bones (so to speak)-You would expect Trump to be in agreement with much of Rowe's stuff.

It appears (at this point) that Hilary is not giving him the time of day-Not really surprised.

One could make the argument that Hillary loves that there are countless 27 YO Baristas with $60,000 in student debt living in there parents' basements. Not that she would do anything about them-they are a natural constituency for her.

However, Hillary is not helped by 22 YO electricians with no student debt and starting their independent adult lives.

jarnon

#32 Post by jarnon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:45 am

Spock wrote:It appears (at this point) that Hilary is not giving him the time of day-Not really surprised.
Workforce skills and job training

A four-year degree should not be the only path to a good job.

I can't find anything on Trump's website about higher education. Then again, Trump himself founded an educational institution to train people for the real estate business.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#33 Post by Spock » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm

jarnon wrote:
Spock wrote:It appears (at this point) that Hilary is not giving him the time of day-Not really surprised.
Workforce skills and job training

A four-year degree should not be the only path to a good job.

I can't find anything on Trump's website about higher education. Then again, Trump himself founded an educational institution to train people for the real estate business.
Point taken. We will likely see if deeds follow words.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#34 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 am

Spock's right -- you can find what you're looking for. I was staffing the Dems fair booth and was informed by someone who came over from the Republican booth that she would never vote for a particular candidate because she never visited the livestock pavilion. I started to explain that she had visited the livestock pavilion every day since the fair opened, and she interrupted me and yelled angrily, "I don't care if she visited the livestock pavilion, I'll never vote for her!"

Then there was last week's candidate forum where a guy with Benghazi matters! on his T-shirt stand up demanded a Yes or No answer to a question for which there is no Yes or No answer, and the candidate answered it quite well, I thought. Mr. Benghazi advanced toward the podium with face growing ever redder and chest thrust out ever farther and saying ever louder, "Yes or no! Yes or no!" Someone in the back called out, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" The moderator made him sit down, but I have no doubt the Mr. Benghazi went away saying that the entire forum was fixed and unfair.

At the same forum, Mr. C stood up, a person who will identify himself as a right wing lifelong Republican, and proceeded to ask a question of another Dem candidate which told me that he will be voting for said Dem because she's done such a great job for us. I think there are just as many Mr. Cs as Mr. Benghazis where I live, but again, Spock's right -- you can easily find either one, but the Mr. Benghazis and my fair friend might be a little easier because they're noisier, especially if you go out looking for them.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

jarnon

#35 Post by jarnon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Here's a book recommendation for you, Spock (though your shelf is already full):

The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America by Robert Wuthnow

Prof. Wuthnow is a Princeton sociologist who grew up in Kansas and understands small towns better than the flyover experts ever could. I read an article about the book in the Princeton alumni magazine.

Come to think of it, SSS should read it too.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי