WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6993
Beebs: TJ wasn't an atheist. He had a Bible he'd edited to take out all references to JC's divinity, in which he did not believe, also various other mystical stuff, in which he did not believe & kept moral lessons he liked. Its called the Jefferson Bible. He was apparently a theist but not a Christian.

He was also a guy who kept his late wife's half-sister as a slave & according to DNA evidence fathered her children, who he also kept as slaves.

But whatever.


Last edited by ghostjmf on Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9024
Location: Location.Location.Location
ghostjmf wrote:
Beebs: TJ wasn't an aetheist. He had a Bible he'd edited to take out all references to JC's divinity, in which he did not believe, & kept moral lessons he liked. He was apparently a theist but not a Christian.

He was also a guy who kept his late wife's half-sister as a slave & according to DNA evidence fathered her children, who he also kept as slaves.

But whatever.


Um, I was addressing Bob#? And, I understand the diff between deism, etc. Sorta my point...

_________________
Oh please.


Last edited by Beebs52 on Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
You're an atheist, right? Unless I misunderstand your tagline and possibly past posts, which I choose not to explore...
I believe you subconciously discriminate against Christians. Has nothing to do with lgbt, etc, because many Christians don't discriminate that way. I just think your statements are soo wrong and hurtful. Realize I crosspollinated an sss theme.
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9024
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
You're an atheist, right? Unless I misunderstand your tagline and possibly past posts, which I choose not to explore...
I believe you subconciously discriminate against Christians. Has nothing to do with lgbt, etc, because many Christians don't discriminate that way. I just think your statements are soo wrong and hurtful. Realize I crosspollinated an sss theme.
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob

Because no one is required to adhere to your qualifying verbiage.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9024
Location: Location.Location.Location
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
You're an atheist, right? Unless I misunderstand your tagline and possibly past posts, which I choose not to explore...
I believe you subconciously discriminate against Christians. Has nothing to do with lgbt, etc, because many Christians don't discriminate that way. I just think your statements are soo wrong and hurtful. Realize I crosspollinated an sss theme.
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob

Because no one is required to adhere to your qualifying verbiage.

I admit I posted this as a pointy stick. Just saying.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3864
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
You're an atheist, right? Unless I misunderstand your tagline and possibly past posts, which I choose not to explore...
I believe you subconciously discriminate against Christians. Has nothing to do with lgbt, etc, because many Christians don't discriminate that way. I just think your statements are soo wrong and hurtful. Realize I crosspollinated an sss theme.
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob


And YOU have no qualms against the democrat who raised this whole controversy by deciding she had the moral duty to 'out' Ivey, whether she was right or wrong. I think that's disgusting.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9024
Location: Location.Location.Location
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
You're an atheist, right? Unless I misunderstand your tagline and possibly past posts, which I choose not to explore...
I believe you subconciously discriminate against Christians. Has nothing to do with lgbt, etc, because many Christians don't discriminate that way. I just think your statements are soo wrong and hurtful. Realize I crosspollinated an sss theme.
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob


And YOU have no qualms against the democrat who raised this whole controversy by deciding she had the moral duty to 'out' Ivey, whether she was right or wrong. I think that's disgusting.


You're such a nitpicker...

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
You're an atheist, right? Unless I misunderstand your tagline and possibly past posts, which I choose not to explore...
I believe you subconciously discriminate against Christians. Has nothing to do with lgbt, etc, because many Christians don't discriminate that way. I just think your statements are soo wrong and hurtful. Realize I crosspollinated an sss theme.
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob


And YOU have no qualms against the democrat who raised this whole controversy by deciding she had the moral duty to 'out' Ivey, whether she was right or wrong. I think that's disgusting.
I have a problem with anyone making factually false statements, and that may well have happened here.

I have a problem with people exposing information they received in circumstances that should lead them to respect privacy, but I have no reason this politician betrayed a trust by disclosing this information (if in fact it's true).

In general I believe that people should be left to disclose, or not, their sexual orientation, as they choose and to whom they choose. But when politicians hypocritically support discriminatory measures or take the public position that their own sexual orientation is immoral or should be a matter of public opprobrium, while concealing that they themselves are part of the group they're demonizing, then I'm okay with publicly outing them. Just like I'd be okay disclosing that an ardent opponent of affirmative action in fact took advantage of affirmative action to start his career, or disclosing that an ardent anti-abortion family-values Republican in fact urged his mistress to get an abortion.

I have no idea what public positions, if any, Governor Ivey has taken in the past on gay rights issues so I have no idea whether this would apply to her. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9024
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I discriminate politically against people who think being gay is "disgusting." And in my experience, most of the public figures who do so use their view of their Christian faith to justify their prejudice. I'm aware that many Christians are more accepting.

Based on Governor Ivey's written words, which were anything but off the cuff and were written by someone whose job is to communicate with the public, I believe either that she is such a person (which would be bad), or that she's deliberately pandering to people who hold that view (which would be worse). And to the extent the voters of Alabama let her use this language, or worse, reward her for its use, it will continue.

In contrast, she might have written, "In fact, I'm not gay. But so what if I were? Whether I'm straight or gay has nothing to do with whether I'm a good governor who deserves to be reelected and the attempt by a liberal Democratic operative to inject sexual identity politics into this race is disgusting." Compare this to what she actually wrote and you can see why I'm convinced that either she is herself prejudiced or she is deliberately pandering to prejudice. --Bob


And YOU have no qualms against the democrat who raised this whole controversy by deciding she had the moral duty to 'out' Ivey, whether she was right or wrong. I think that's disgusting.
I have a problem with anyone making factually false statements, and that may well have happened here.

I have a problem with people exposing information they received in circumstances that should lead them to respect privacy, but I have no reason this politician betrayed a trust by disclosing this information (if in fact it's true).

In general I believe that people should be left to disclose, or not, their sexual orientation, as they choose and to whom they choose. But when politicians hypocritically support discriminatory measures or take the public position that their own sexual orientation is immoral or should be a matter of public opprobrium, while concealing that they themselves are part of the group they're demonizing, then I'm okay with publicly outing them. Just like I'd be okay disclosing that an ardent opponent of affirmative action in fact took advantage of affirmative action to start his career, or disclosing that an ardent anti-abortion family-values Republican in fact urged his mistress to get an abortion.

I have no idea what public positions, if any, Governor Ivey has taken in the past on gay rights issues so I have no idea whether this would apply to her. --Bob


So why would you comment on her at all?

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:

And YOU have no qualms against the democrat who raised this whole controversy by deciding she had the moral duty to 'out' Ivey, whether she was right or wrong. I think that's disgusting.
I have a problem with anyone making factually false statements, and that may well have happened here.

I have a problem with people exposing information they received in circumstances that should lead them to respect privacy, but I have no reason this politician betrayed a trust by disclosing this information (if in fact it's true).

In general I believe that people should be left to disclose, or not, their sexual orientation, as they choose and to whom they choose. But when politicians hypocritically support discriminatory measures or take the public position that their own sexual orientation is immoral or should be a matter of public opprobrium, while concealing that they themselves are part of the group they're demonizing, then I'm okay with publicly outing them. Just like I'd be okay disclosing that an ardent opponent of affirmative action in fact took advantage of affirmative action to start his career, or disclosing that an ardent anti-abortion family-values Republican in fact urged his mistress to get an abortion.

I have no idea what public positions, if any, Governor Ivey has taken in the past on gay rights issues so I have no idea whether this would apply to her. --Bob


So why would you comment on her at all?
Because the public words she used to dispute the claim deserved to be called out. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9024
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I have a problem with anyone making factually false statements, and that may well have happened here.

I have a problem with people exposing information they received in circumstances that should lead them to respect privacy, but I have no reason this politician betrayed a trust by disclosing this information (if in fact it's true).

In general I believe that people should be left to disclose, or not, their sexual orientation, as they choose and to whom they choose. But when politicians hypocritically support discriminatory measures or take the public position that their own sexual orientation is immoral or should be a matter of public opprobrium, while concealing that they themselves are part of the group they're demonizing, then I'm okay with publicly outing them. Just like I'd be okay disclosing that an ardent opponent of affirmative action in fact took advantage of affirmative action to start his career, or disclosing that an ardent anti-abortion family-values Republican in fact urged his mistress to get an abortion.

I have no idea what public positions, if any, Governor Ivey has taken in the past on gay rights issues so I have no idea whether this would apply to her. --Bob


So why would you comment on her at all?
Because the public words she used to dispute the claim deserved to be called out. --Bob

By you....

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Could it be that it would imply she had been unfaithful to her husbands? Just a possibility.
It wouldn't. It's entirely possible to be gay and yet faithful to a marriage to an opposite-sex partner.

It seems quite clear to me that Governor Ivey is saying it's "disgusting" to claim she's gay. I've seen you, quite recently, acknowledge that racism still exists in this country. This seems to me a clear example of invidious prejudice based on sexual orientation and I hope to reach a world where people acknowledge the prejudice of Governor Ivey's statement and respond to it the same way they'd react if she'd said claiming she was Jewish is a "disgusting lie." --Bob

Once again, you are ascribing prejudices to someone on an assumption. Because you "think" something. Nah. Doesn't work.
I did some more thinking about this. The reality is that in the absence of a telepath on the Bored, none of us can ever know for certain what is in someone else's mind. (Even if they purport to tell us, how can we be sure they're not lying?) The best we can ever do is draw inferences about what is in their mind from what they say and do. (And in answer to flock's point, that happens in court all the time. People have damages awards assessed against them, and even go to jail, based on inferences juries draw about their intent based on their words and deeds.) For reasons I've already articulated, I think my inference in this case is sound. But in any event if you insist on certainty, or even on an outright admission of prejudice, that's pretty much never going to happen. And that's why I think certainty is far too high a standard, particularly in the political realm. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3864
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
It wouldn't. It's entirely possible to be gay and yet faithful to a marriage to an opposite-sex partner.

It seems quite clear to me that Governor Ivey is saying it's "disgusting" to claim she's gay. I've seen you, quite recently, acknowledge that racism still exists in this country. This seems to me a clear example of invidious prejudice based on sexual orientation and I hope to reach a world where people acknowledge the prejudice of Governor Ivey's statement and respond to it the same way they'd react if she'd said claiming she was Jewish is a "disgusting lie." --Bob

Once again, you are ascribing prejudices to someone on an assumption. Because you "think" something. Nah. Doesn't work.
I did some more thinking about this. The reality is that in the absence of a telepath on the Bored, none of us can ever know for certain what is in someone else's mind. (Even if they purport to tell us, how can we be sure they're not lying?) The best we can ever do is draw inferences about what is in their mind from what they say and do. (And in answer to flock's point, that happens in court all the time. People have damages awards assessed against them, and even go to jail, based on inferences juries draw about their intent based on their words and deeds.) For reasons I've already articulated, I think my inference in this case is sound. But in any event if you insist on certainty, or even on an outright admission of prejudice, that's pretty much never going to happen. And that's why I think certainty is far too high a standard, particularly in the political realm. --Bob


Quote:
The best we can ever do is draw inferences about what is in their mind from what they say and do.


That's all we have on this bored, bob-tel. And I see what you, AH, BJ and the Rev write, and I'm sorry, I see prejudice and, I can't call it anything else, hatred, towards those who might disagree with your worldview. Your prejudice is not based on skin color or ethnicity, it is based on ideas. You like to think of yourself as presenting 'facts' to support your political views, but in so many instances, it has been shown and pointed out that you present your opinions as fact to support arguments, and ignore other people's opinions as unworthy of even considering. AH does that all the time by bringing up the names of commentators he doesn't like so he can ignore ideas he doesn't like.

So Ivey uses the word 'disgusting' and you are sure she meant it in one context, and you use that as a brick to support your worldview, when you don't KNOW what context she used it in.

trump says the word 'animal' and you assume he is referring to all immigrants, when he is obviously referring to a small group of ILLEGAL immigrants who belong to the MS-13 gang and other violent criminals who he has many times previously specified as targets of deportation. But it is supportive of your worldview to use it as another brick to support your worldview.

We that do not subscribe to your worldview see this and it discredits you and makes anything else you say that might be debatable that much more questionable.

Don't you see that?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15039
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
trump says the word 'animal' and you assume he is referring to all immigrants, when he is obviously referring to a small group of ILLEGAL immigrants who belong to the MS-13 gang and other violent criminals who he has many times previously specified as targets of deportation. But it is supportive of your worldview to use it as another brick to support your worldview.


If only Donald Trump had you on hand to explain away all the other hundreds of inappropriate or biased things he has said or done over the past couple of years. Clearly, the man has never meant a single bad thing he has ever said, and we left wingers are just too filled with hate to see that.

And where was your defense of Obama and Hillary when their comments were taken out of context?

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3864
Location: Olympia, Washington
silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
trump says the word 'animal' and you assume he is referring to all immigrants, when he is obviously referring to a small group of ILLEGAL immigrants who belong to the MS-13 gang and other violent criminals who he has many times previously specified as targets of deportation. But it is supportive of your worldview to use it as another brick to support your worldview.


If only Donald Trump had you on hand to explain away all the other hundreds of inappropriate or biased things he has said or done over the past couple of years. Clearly, the man has never meant a single bad thing he has ever said, and we left wingers are just too filled with hate to see that.

And where was your defense of Obama and Hillary when their comments were taken out of context?


White noise, static, mosquito. Go away with this kind of stuff AH. And take hannity with you. I'm talking to bob-tel, not you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15039
From the other thread:

silverscreenselect wrote:
Flock, every time someone brings up an uncomfortable topic, you yell fake news, call people names, make unfunny attempts at "sarcastic humor," accuse left wingers of being racists, and in general make a lot of noise to avoid talking about the uncomfortable topic.

From this thread:

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
White noise, static, mosquito. Go away with this kind of stuff AH. And take hannity with you. I'm talking to bob-tel, not you.

Proving my point exactly.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
trump says the word 'animal' and you assume he is referring to all immigrants, when he is obviously referring to a small group of ILLEGAL immigrants who belong to the MS-13 gang and other violent criminals who he has many times previously specified as targets of deportation. But it is supportive of your worldview to use it as another brick to support your worldview.


If only Donald Trump had you on hand to explain away all the other hundreds of inappropriate or biased things he has said or done over the past couple of years. Clearly, the man has never meant a single bad thing he has ever said, and we left wingers are just too filled with hate to see that.

And where was your defense of Obama and Hillary when their comments were taken out of context?


White noise, static, mosquito. Go away with this kind of stuff AH. And take hannity with you. I'm talking to bob-tel, not you.
Again proving my point that you like telling people to shut up, which made you a peculiar messenger for the point you tried to make in your original post. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
So Ivey uses the word 'disgusting' and you are sure she meant it in one context, and you use that as a brick to support your worldview, when you don't KNOW what context she used it in.

trump says the word 'animal' and you assume he is referring to all immigrants, when he is obviously referring to a small group of ILLEGAL immigrants who belong to the MS-13 gang and other violent criminals who he has many times previously specified as targets of deportation. But it is supportive of your worldview to use it as another brick to support your worldview.

We that do not subscribe to your worldview see this and it discredits you and makes anything else you say that might be debatable that much more questionable.
We've all got life experiences that we use to arrive at our conclusions. My own life experience is that when I see people talk this way in real (as opposed to on-line) life, I have generally discovered that they meant what they said and that they really do hold the prejudices I am ascribing to Governor Ivey and to Donny.

I'll give you an example that may be a little less charged. Sparky's mom was always his primary caregiver, but from time to time I'd take it on, leaving work early or declining a competing commitment or opportunity. At work in particular, people would sometimes describe me as going home to "babysit." I corrected them every single time. I wasn't babysitting. He's my son.

The point is that you don't talk like that (dad is "babysitting") unless you have the attitude that childcare is mom's job, at least by default. And sure enough, it became evident through knowing these people that this was, in fact, their belief. (A belief that appears to be quite common in American society.)

I believe that Governor Ivey is prejudiced against gays because in my experience, people who talk the way she did have been prejudiced against gays. I believe that Donny is racially prejudiced and (to say the least) sexist because in my experience, people who talk and act the way he has have been racially prejudiced and sexist. And you can come up with all of the excuses you want for their language and behavior, but none of them are likely to alter the conclusions I have reached based on my decades on the planet. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9723
Location: In Texas of course!
Bob78164 wrote:
I believe that Donny is racially prejudiced and (to say the least) sexist because in my experience, people who talk and act the way he has have been racially prejudiced and sexist. And you can come up with all of the excuses you want for their language and behavior, but none of them are likely to alter the conclusions I have reached based on my decades on the planet. --Bob


Then you also believe Bill and Hillary are racists and sexist, correct? Or do you still give them a pass?

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I believe that Donny is racially prejudiced and (to say the least) sexist because in my experience, people who talk and act the way he has have been racially prejudiced and sexist. And you can come up with all of the excuses you want for their language and behavior, but none of them are likely to alter the conclusions I have reached based on my decades on the planet. --Bob


Then you also believe Bill and Hillary are racists and sexist, correct? Or do you still give them a pass?
Whataboutism strikes again.

Neither of the Clintons are running for office, and neither of them has ever spoken in a way remotely close to what has been well documented for Donny. But I will agree with you that the next time Bill Clinton does appear on a ballot, I'll take another long hard look at the evidence concerning his behavior. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9723
Location: In Texas of course!
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I believe that Donny is racially prejudiced and (to say the least) sexist because in my experience, people who talk and act the way he has have been racially prejudiced and sexist. And you can come up with all of the excuses you want for their language and behavior, but none of them are likely to alter the conclusions I have reached based on my decades on the planet. --Bob


Then you also believe Bill and Hillary are racists and sexist, correct? Or do you still give them a pass?
Whataboutism strikes again.

Neither of the Clintons are running for office, and neither of them has ever spoken in a way remotely close to what has been well documented for Donny. But I will agree with you that the next time Bill Clinton does appear on a ballot, I'll take another long hard look at the evidence concerning his behavior. --Bob


You like dismissing your politics when inconvenient. The fact is, you thought, and probably still do think, HRC was the better candidate and would have made a great president. Don't hold the President to his past if you don't hold yourself to yours.

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: By the phone
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Then you also believe Bill and Hillary are racists and sexist, correct? Or do you still give them a pass?
Whataboutism strikes again.

Neither of the Clintons are running for office, and neither of them has ever spoken in a way remotely close to what has been well documented for Donny. But I will agree with you that the next time Bill Clinton does appear on a ballot, I'll take another long hard look at the evidence concerning his behavior. --Bob


You like dismissing your politics when inconvenient. The fact is, you thought, and probably still do think, HRC was the better candidate and would have made a great president. Don't hold the President to his past if you don't hold yourself to yours.
Standing firm on whataboutism, and adding some false equivalence. Nothing that Secretary Clinton ever said or did comes remotely close to Donny's consistent pattern of words and behavior. And in any event, she's not going to be on any future ballots. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9723
Location: In Texas of course!
Bob78164 wrote:
Standing firm on whataboutism,


Yes you are, aren't you. You continue to act as if your choices and your values, what you thought and still think is the right answer, can't be used as an example of your wrongness because they are no longer relevant in the present (thankfully). But your past choices define who you are and how you think. So unless you disappear there is no "whataboutism". I promise I will never tell SSS "what about Bob".


Bob78164 wrote:
Nothing that Secretary Clinton ever said or did comes remotely close to Donny's consistent pattern of words and behavior.]


Trump is brash, rude, crude, and boorish. I've never denied that.

But Clinton telling the world that she lost because women voted how their husbands told them to is about as sexist as you can get.

Bob78164 wrote:
And in any event, she's not going to be on any future ballots. --Bob


No she won't, but not for a lack of her or you trying.

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9009
Location: Garden Grove, CA
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Nothing that Secretary Clinton ever said or did comes remotely close to Donny's consistent pattern of words and behavior.]
Trump is brash, rude, crude, and boorish. I've never denied that.

But Clinton telling the world that she lost because women voted how their husbands told them to is about as sexist as you can get.
What about racism?

Remember when Trump said, "We need to take these people on, they are often connected to big drug cartels, they are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators. No conscience. No empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way but first we have to bring them to heel?"

Or when he said, "I'm still not in favor of the death penalty. Just put him in a cellblock with some of the black prisoners and let nature take its course?"

What? That was actually 2 other racists? Really?

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob78164, Majestic-12 [Bot], silvercamaro and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.