The Harvey List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: The Harvey List

#376 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:I personally can recall situations where at least different three women have stated things like, "He thinks he can cheat on me? Let's see what happens when I say he attacked me." .. another one, laughing with one of her friends, "..he dumped me after we f*&(ed, so I called his CO and told him he beat me up"
And there are plenty of women who continue to live with an abuser for years, either because they are afraid to leave, they think that staying with him is better than the alternatives, or in some cases that he's going to turn over a new leaf. Unless there's physical evidence of abuse (doctor and hospital visits or calls to the police), the final departure may seem to some people like it "came out of nowhere."
My sister-in-law got divorced a couple of years ago after nearly 30 years of marriage. She's a chiropractor and quite physically adept, with a black belt in one of the martial arts.

It turns out that her (now ex-) husband had been physically abusing her for many years. The divorce was triggered when the ex finally lost control in public, resulting in the police being called. Until then, as far as I know, neither her family nor her friends had a clue this was happening.

Her 17-year-old daughter, by the way, who saw the bruises resulting from the final incident, is resentful of the divorce and really wants to spend as much time as possible with her father. She blames her mother for splitting up the family. She doesn't understand why there's a court order limiting her ability to do so (which will expire when she turns 18).

This shit happens. A lot. And you can't ever tell from the outside whether it is happening or has happened. All of this bullshit about motives is just that, complete bullshit, just like it would be bullshit to imply that Mark Judge's politics make it more likely that he'd have participated in this incident as described by Dr. Blasey Ford. (And by the way, I haven't heard about Mark Judge hiring a lawyer to file a defamation claim against Dr. Blasey Ford. That would be my first move if someone ever made a claim like that about me.)

The way to assess this account is to start by getting evidence as to what actually happened, from as many people as it's possible to find, not to play armchair psychoanalyst as an excuse for character assassination of Dr. Blasey Ford, and not to cut off the investigation in the hope of getting a political pass by framing the issue as he said, she said. And that investigation really ought to be conducted by the cops (including the FBI), so that the principals' testimony can be measured against the accounts of other witnesses. Of course, it should go without saying that the principals shouldn't have access to those other accounts until after they've given their testimony.

At this point all we know is that she first spoke about this attack years ago so it's not a recent invention and that Mark Judge doesn't want to testify about it under oath, not even to back up Judge Kavanaugh's denials. As far as I know, there's been no serious effort by anyone to figure out where the party was, when it was, who else (other than Judge) was there, and what those persons might have seen. Without spending significant time (a month or two if necessary) to do this due diligence, the investigation will always look like a whitewash designed to provide political cover rather than an honest effort to reach the truth. --Bob
And when can we expect your demands for an investigation into Ellison to appear?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#377 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:And there are plenty of women who continue to live with an abuser for years, either because they are afraid to leave, they think that staying with him is better than the alternatives, or in some cases that he's going to turn over a new leaf. Unless there's physical evidence of abuse (doctor and hospital visits or calls to the police), the final departure may seem to some people like it "came out of nowhere."
My sister-in-law got divorced a couple of years ago after nearly 30 years of marriage. She's a chiropractor and quite physically adept, with a black belt in one of the martial arts.

It turns out that her (now ex-) husband had been physically abusing her for many years. The divorce was triggered when the ex finally lost control in public, resulting in the police being called. Until then, as far as I know, neither her family nor her friends had a clue this was happening.

Her 17-year-old daughter, by the way, who saw the bruises resulting from the final incident, is resentful of the divorce and really wants to spend as much time as possible with her father. She blames her mother for splitting up the family. She doesn't understand why there's a court order limiting her ability to do so (which will expire when she turns 18).

This shit happens. A lot. And you can't ever tell from the outside whether it is happening or has happened. All of this bullshit about motives is just that, complete bullshit, just like it would be bullshit to imply that Mark Judge's politics make it more likely that he'd have participated in this incident as described by Dr. Blasey Ford. (And by the way, I haven't heard about Mark Judge hiring a lawyer to file a defamation claim against Dr. Blasey Ford. That would be my first move if someone ever made a claim like that about me.)

The way to assess this account is to start by getting evidence as to what actually happened, from as many people as it's possible to find, not to play armchair psychoanalyst as an excuse for character assassination of Dr. Blasey Ford, and not to cut off the investigation in the hope of getting a political pass by framing the issue as he said, she said. And that investigation really ought to be conducted by the cops (including the FBI), so that the principals' testimony can be measured against the accounts of other witnesses. Of course, it should go without saying that the principals shouldn't have access to those other accounts until after they've given their testimony.

At this point all we know is that she first spoke about this attack years ago so it's not a recent invention and that Mark Judge doesn't want to testify about it under oath, not even to back up Judge Kavanaugh's denials. As far as I know, there's been no serious effort by anyone to figure out where the party was, when it was, who else (other than Judge) was there, and what those persons might have seen. Without spending significant time (a month or two if necessary) to do this due diligence, the investigation will always look like a whitewash designed to provide political cover rather than an honest effort to reach the truth. --Bob
And when can we expect your demands for an investigation into Ellison to appear?
He's being investigated. But it's kind of hard to investigate an incident that was supposedly recorded on a video found on the accuser's computer when no one seems to be able to actually find (or at least produce) that video.

Now that I've responded to your classic whataboutism (whether Ellison's ex-girlfriend did or didn't invent her account has nothing to do with whether Dr. Blasey Ford is telling the truth), it's your turn. Why do you oppose taking the time to thoroughly investigating the accusation against Judge Kavanaugh before giving him a lifetime appointment? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#378 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:I personally can recall situations where at least different three women have stated things like, "He thinks he can cheat on me? Let's see what happens when I say he attacked me." .. another one, laughing with one of her friends, "..he dumped me after we f*&(ed, so I called his CO and told him he beat me up"
And there are plenty of women who continue to live with an abuser for years, either because they are afraid to leave, they think that staying with him is better than the alternatives, or in some cases that he's going to turn over a new leaf. Unless there's physical evidence of abuse (doctor and hospital visits or calls to the police), the final departure may seem to some people like it "came out of nowhere."

Aside from the fact that the FBI has no jurisdiction in this issue, and that no accuser has the right to demand something be investigated, from what I understand, the FBI has pretty much declared it has already done all it will do.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/18/64908571 ... ikely-wont

bob-tel, the committee and the president have gone on record and offered Dr. Ford the opportunity to present her allegations and any testimony she has in a public hearing before they vote. They have also gone on record saying that if any additional information is presented in those hearings that warrants additional investigation and takes it beyond a he-said she-said situation, they will do it and you will have the delay you so dearly want. So far, she has refused. Judge Kavanaugh also has the right to confront his accuser, and he seems completely willing to do whatever it takes to defend his reputation.

All your arguments look to be specifically taken from left wing talking points. You need to acknowledge that people who suspect this is all a political ploy have legitimate concerns as well.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

tlynn78

#379 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:My sister-in-law got divorced a couple of years ago after nearly 30 years of marriage. She's a chiropractor and quite physically adept, with a black belt in one of the martial arts.

He's being investigated. But it's kind of hard to investigate an incident that was supposedly recorded on a video found on the accuser's computer when no one seems to be able to actually find (or at least produce) that video.

Now that I've responded to your classic whataboutism (whether Ellison's ex-girlfriend did or didn't invent her account has nothing to do with whether Dr. Blasey Ford is telling the truth), it's your turn. Why do you oppose taking the time to thoroughly investigating the accusation against Judge Kavanaugh before giving him a lifetime appointment? --Bob
I never said I oppose taking time to investigate. It's what's considered 'thorough' that gives me pause. I"ll give your 'whataboutism comment the consideration it deserves.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#380 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Aside from the fact that the FBI has no jurisdiction in this issue, and that no accuser has the right to demand something be investigated, from what I understand, the FBI has pretty much declared it has already done all it will do.
As is almost inevitably the case, you're wrong again Flock. If you were a Jeopardy contestant, you would owe them your entire life's savings. The FBI can get involved in this investigation since it involves the fitness of an appointee for a federal position but to no one's surprise, the White House hasn't directed it to do so.
But Chris Strohm of Bloomberg News, citing someone familiar with the matter, reported that the FBI hadn’t said it didn’t want to be involved in evaluating the Ford accusations.
In 1991, when Hill’s allegations were made public, the FBI became involved at the direction of the White House.

“On Sept. 23, the allegation was brought to the attention of the Judiciary Committee,” a White House statement at the time read. “The Judiciary Committee immediately informed the White House. In consultation with the committee, the White House promptly directed the FBI to conduct a full, thorough and expeditious investigation. Upon completion of the FBI investigation on Sept. 26, the report was submitted to the White House and the committee.”
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#381 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:42 pm

...citing someone familiar with the matter....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#382 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:43 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:They have also gone on record saying that if any additional information is presented in those hearings that warrants additional investigation and takes it beyond a he-said she-said situation, they will do it . . . .
That's the thing. That's essentially relying on Dr. Blasey Ford to identify additional witnesses. Outside investigators should be the ones trying to identify additional witnesses. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#383 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:13 pm

You have, as usual, avoided a direct question. If this whole thing is shown to be another political ploy by the democrats to delay the appointment, like the circus they organized to disrupt the hearings, would you disavow the democrats, or would you say 'tit for tat' like BJ does?

yes or no, bob-tel...

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#384 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:You have, as usual, avoided a direct question. If this whole thing is shown to be another political ploy by the democrats to delay the appointment, like the circus they organized to disrupt the hearings, would you disavow the democrats, or would you say 'tit for tat' like BJ does?

yes or no, bob-tel...
Not the Democratic Party as a whole, but I'd certainly condemn any politician who was discovered to have participated in fabricating an incident of this nature. But I'm confident that didn't happen, just like I'm confident the Hawaii birth announcement wasn't planted back in 1961 to ensure there'd be evidence that would eventually allow Barack Obama to run for President. Dr. Blasey Ford has been telling her account for years. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#385 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:You have, as usual, avoided a direct question. If this whole thing is shown to be another political ploy by the democrats to delay the appointment, like the circus they organized to disrupt the hearings, would you disavow the democrats, or would you say 'tit for tat' like BJ does?

yes or no, bob-tel...
Not the Democratic Party as a whole, but I'd certainly condemn any politician who was discovered to have participated in fabricating an incident of this nature. But I'm confident that didn't happen, just like I'm confident the Hawaii birth announcement wasn't planted back in 1961 to ensure there'd be evidence that would eventually allow Barack Obama to run for President. Dr. Blasey Ford has been telling her account for years. --Bob
Looks like I was mistaken. She's actually been talking about this incident since high school. --Bob

Bob Juch

#386 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 pm

tlynn78 wrote:The 'proof' for Rep. Ellison was far more compelling. How many of you are writing to your congress people to demand his resignation? Or to demand an investigation, even?
You're trying for queen of Whataboutistan?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#387 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:The 'proof' for Rep. Ellison was far more compelling. How many of you are writing to your congress people to demand his resignation? Or to demand an investigation, even?
You're trying for queen of Whataboutistan?
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Well, then

jarnon

#388 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm

BackInTex wrote:Well, she had been drinking. And heck, maybe she was attacked. Maybe in her hysterical state she got confused and over time, as she heard about this kid Kavanaugh she put him her mind as the perp.
I appreciate you're giving Dr. Ford the benefit of the doubt and not labeling her a politically motivated liar. But if you want to be convincing, say "traumatized" instead of "hysterical." The word "hysterical" has a worse history than "monkey."
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Estonut
Evil Genius

#389 Post by Estonut » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:They have also gone on record saying that if any additional information is presented in those hearings that warrants additional investigation and takes it beyond a he-said she-said situation, they will do it . . . .
That's the thing. That's essentially relying on Dr. Blasey Ford to identify additional witnesses. Outside investigators should be the ones trying to identify additional witnesses.
How the fuck do you expect them to find any witnesses? She doesn't know what year it was, where it was, whose house it was, who else was there. Where does one start?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#390 Post by Estonut » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

yes or no, bob-tel...
Looks like I was mistaken. She's actually been talking about this incident since high school.
Interesting. She, herself, originally "told The Washington Post that she told no one of the incident "in any detail" until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband."
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#391 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Estonut wrote: Interesting. She, herself, originally "told The Washington Post that she told no one of the incident "in any detail" until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband."
That's not what this woman said:
A former schoolmate of Brett Kavanaugh’s accuser wrote a Facebook post saying she recalls hearing about the alleged assault involving Kavanaugh, though she says she has no first-hand information to corroborate the accuser’s claims. "Christine Blasey Ford was a year or so behind me," wrote the woman, Cristina Miranda King, who now works as a performing arts curator in Mexico City. "I did not know her personally but I remember her. This incident did happen." She added, "Many of us heard a buzz about it indirectly with few specific details. However Christine's vivid recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true."
She didn't say Dr. Ford told her; she said that there was a "buzz" about it. That's consistent with Kavanaugh and/or Judge bragging and Dr. Ford's being reticent to discuss the matter in detail, but giving off enough of a vibe so that people realized something had gone wrong.

It's interesting that BiT specifically mentioned one of the reasons he disbelieved her story was because word of something like this would have gotten around. Now, it appears it did get around. It's also quite consistent with those times that a girl who was assaulted would be reticent to bring the authorities into the matter.

If it was a small party, that's even more reason for her not to want to say anything to the others at the party. A rule of thumb when I was in high school was the more hanky panky you wanted to engage in, the fewer people you wanted at the party.

silverscreenselect

#392 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 pm

tlynn78 wrote: Student reviews of her professor-ship are, to say the least, interesting.
And, as it turns out, that story happened to be fake news.

https://www.businessinsider.com/conserv ... ser-2018-9
On Monday, the conservative website Grabien News published a story quoting negative reviews purportedly written by Ford's students on RateMyProfessors.com. The Drudge Report, a right-leaning news aggregation site, shared the post with its 1.4 million Twitter followers. Laura Ingraham, one of Fox News' top opinion hosts, and Mark Levin, a right-wing radio host, also tweeted out the story."Christine Ford is the worst educator I have experienced," one former student wrote anonymously on the website. "Something's wrong with her," wrote another.

One key missing fact: they were reviews of a different Christine Ford. The comments instead concerned a former instructor in the social work department at California State University-Fullerton, Christine A. Ford. Grabien News later retracted the story and replaced it with an editor's note. "We've since learned there are two Christine Fords working in clinical psychology in California and we wrote this report about the wrong Christine Ford," the site wrote. "We regret not going to greater lengths to ensure this was indeed the same Christine Ford. Please do not share this article with anyone (and if you have, delete it/withdraw it); we are only leaving the page up so you can see this important update."
Drudge, Ingraham, and Levin all deleted their social media posts linking to Grabian's story, but none of them issued corrections or informed their followers that the information was false.
It's interesting that the people vehemently opposed to the FBI investigating this matter thoroughly are more than happy to trust Matt Drudge and Laura Ingraham for information about Dr. Ford.

flockofseagulls104

#393 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 pm

tlynn78 wrote: Student reviews of her professor-ship are, to say the least, interesting.
And, as it turns out, that story happened to be fake news.

https://www.businessinsider.com/conserv ... ser-2018-9
On Monday, the conservative website Grabien News published a story quoting negative reviews purportedly written by Ford's students on RateMyProfessors.com. The Drudge Report, a right-leaning news aggregation site, shared the post with its 1.4 million Twitter followers. Laura Ingraham, one of Fox News' top opinion hosts, and Mark Levin, a right-wing radio host, also tweeted out the story."Christine Ford is the worst educator I have experienced," one former student wrote anonymously on the website. "Something's wrong with her," wrote another.

One key missing fact: they were reviews of a different Christine Ford. The comments instead concerned a former instructor in the social work department at California State University-Fullerton, Christine A. Ford. Grabien News later retracted the story and replaced it with an editor's note. "We've since learned there are two Christine Fords working in clinical psychology in California and we wrote this report about the wrong Christine Ford," the site wrote. "We regret not going to greater lengths to ensure this was indeed the same Christine Ford. Please do not share this article with anyone (and if you have, delete it/withdraw it); we are only leaving the page up so you can see this important update."
Drudge, Ingraham, and Levin all deleted their social media posts linking to Grabian's story, but none of them issued corrections or informed their followers that the information was false.
It's interesting that the people vehemently opposed to the FBI investigating this matter thoroughly are more than happy to trust Matt Drudge and Laura Ingraham for information about Dr. Ford.
Thank you, Ned Ryerson!

Estonut
Evil Genius

#394 Post by Estonut » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32 am

silverscreenselect wrote:If you were a Jeopardy contestant, you would owe them your entire life's savings.
Does this actually make some sense to you?
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#395 Post by jarnon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 pm

S.C. Congressman Ralph Norman wrote:Ruth Bader Ginsburg came out that she was groped by Abraham Lincoln.
:lol:
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#396 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

jarnon wrote:
S.C. Congressman Ralph Norman wrote:Ruth Bader Ginsburg came out that she was groped by Abraham Lincoln.
When will politicians learn they always get themselves in trouble when they attempt comedy?

flockofseagulls104

#397 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
When will politicians learn they always get themselves in trouble when they attempt comedy?
On the flip side, when will comedians learn they show their ignorance and alienate half their audience when they attempt politics?

Two rhetorical questions....

flockofseagulls104

#398 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

yes or no, bob-tel...
Looks like I was mistaken. She's actually been talking about this incident since high school. --Bob
Fake news, bob-tel.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/64978707 ... ve-no-idea

Acknowledge it, please, like beebs did.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#399 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Not the Democratic Party as a whole, but I'd certainly condemn any politician who was discovered to have participated in fabricating an incident of this nature. But I'm confident that didn't happen, just like I'm confident the Hawaii birth announcement wasn't planted back in 1961 to ensure there'd be evidence that would eventually allow Barack Obama to run for President. Dr. Blasey Ford has been telling her account for years. --Bob
Fake news, bob-tel.

No. She said then that the incident was being talked about contemporaneously, and that's all I said. She hasn't backed off that statement, so it still supports the fact that this attack is not a recent invention. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#400 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Looks like I was mistaken. She's actually been talking about this incident since high school. --Bob
Fake news, bob-tel.

No. She said then that the incident was being talked about contemporaneously, and that's all I said. She hasn't backed off that statement, so it still supports the fact that this attack is not a recent invention. --Bob
Bless your heart. I mean that in the suthren way.
Well, then