In Memphis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

In Memphis

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:35 am

I’m in Memphis for the Nationals. It turns out my hotel is literally across the street from the home stadium of the Memphis Redbirds, which I think is the Cardinals’ Triple A affiliate. It would be interesting to know whether I’m high enough to see pop flies while they’re in play, but I suspect I’ll be gone before the home opener here. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: In Memphis

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I’m in Memphis for the Nationals. It turns out my hotel is literally across the street from the home stadium of the Memphis Redbirds, which I think is the Cardinals’ Triple A affiliate. It would be interesting to know whether I’m high enough to see pop flies while they’re in play, but I suspect I’ll be gone before the home opener here. —Bob
Depends on how many joints you smoke
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:21 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I’m in Memphis for the Nationals. It turns out my hotel is literally across the street from the home stadium of the Memphis Redbirds, which I think is the Cardinals’ Triple A affiliate. It would be interesting to know whether I’m high enough to see pop flies while they’re in play, but I suspect I’ll be gone before the home opener here.
Depends on how many joints you smoke
What's a joint, pops?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:00 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I’m in Memphis for the Nationals. It turns out my hotel is literally across the street from the home stadium of the Memphis Redbirds, which I think is the Cardinals’ Triple A affiliate. It would be interesting to know whether I’m high enough to see pop flies while they’re in play, but I suspect I’ll be gone before the home opener here. —Bob
If you go walking in Memphis, stay close to the Doubletree and other hotels. Even then...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
If you go walking in Memphis, stay close to the Doubletree and other hotels. Even then...
It doesn’t seem to be an issue during the day, and at night the shuttle drops me two well populated blocks from the hotel. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
It doesn’t seem to be an issue during the day, and at night the shuttle drops me two well populated blocks from the hotel. —Bob
Cool
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 am

I may get the chance after all to see whether baseball is visible from my room. It turns out the Redbirds are hosting an exhibition game tonight at 6:30 p.m. CDT against the Cardinals. That would give me enough time to check out what can be seen for the start of the game and still make it back to the playing site in time for the second session. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 am

Bob78164 wrote:I may get the chance after all to see whether baseball is visible from my room. It turns out the Redbirds are hosting an exhibition game tonight at 6:30 p.m. CDT against the Cardinals. That would give me enough time to check out what can be seen for the start of the game and still make it back to the playing site in time for the second session. —Bob
I didn’t get back to my hotel between sessions so whether balls in play can be seen from here will have to remain a mystery. But they still haven’t finished turning off the outfield lights and my curtains don’t shut firmly. I hope the lights don’t interfere with my sleep. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:13 am

Something was going on at the stadium yesterday as well. I don’t know what. But the stadium lights were off at a slightly more reasonable hour. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 am

Finally had a decent day at the table. We collected most of what we were dealt in the afternoon and had a second set that was only slightly below average, so we qualified in the middle of the pack for the second (and final) day of the Silidor Open Pairs. —Bob

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:05 am

Bob78164 wrote:Finally had a decent day at the table. We collected most of what we were dealt in the afternoon and had a second set that was only slightly below average, so we qualified in the middle of the pack for the second (and final) day of the Silidor Open Pairs. —Bob
I didn’t know the tournament was sponsored by Hogwarts.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 am

In a first for me, I qualified for the second and last day of the Jacoby Open Swiss Teams national event. I would not have bet on that at today’s halfway mark. After winning our first match we lost the last three matches of the first half, leaving us well below average with about 24 victory points out of a possible 80 (20 per match). The cut line figured to be a point or two over average.

But after the dinner break we staged a comeback, winning our last four matches. We got ourselves above average after the seventh match and then faced a seasoned international team for our last match with qualification still in doubt. Fortunately we had a couple of breaks go our way so we were able to win that last match as well, qualifying us in 38th position out of 56 qualifiers who made the cut. So tomorrow I’ll get to experience the finals of a national Swiss Team event for the first time. I hope it goes well. —Bob

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:42 am

Bob78164 wrote:In a first for me, I qualified for the second and last day of the Jacoby Open Swiss Teams national event. I would not have bet on that at today’s halfway mark. After winning our first match we lost the last three matches of the first half, leaving us well below average with about 24 victory points out of a possible 80 (20 per match). The cut line figured to be a point or two over average.

But after the dinner break we staged a comeback, winning our last four matches. We got ourselves above average after the seventh match and then faced a seasoned international team for our last match with qualification still in doubt. Fortunately we had a couple of breaks go our way so we were able to win that last match as well, qualifying us in 38th position out of 56 qualifiers who made the cut. So tomorrow I’ll get to experience the finals of a national Swiss Team event for the first time. I hope it goes well. —Bob
Break an overcall!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:16 am

Didn’t achieve my goal at the table yesterday.

Today’s goal of getting home has just become a bit of a challenge. My flight out of Memphis has been delayed long enough that I’ll miss my connecting flight. So now I have to wait nearly an hour for Southwest to call me back so I can arrange a new itinerary. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:18 pm

It turns out that my connecting flight from Denver also was delayed so I’m at my gate, waiting for them to start boarding. I should get home without incident. —Bob

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Blame a programmer and his/her company who did do proper QA: The FAA said there was a technical issue with the system called AeroData, which determines whether flights can take off.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Blame a programmer and his/her company who did do proper QA
Why?
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:35 am

Estonut wrote:
Why?
They were probably in a rush.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#19 Post by Estonut » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:00 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Why?
You think they "did do proper QA" because they were in a rush?
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:Why?
You think they "did do proper QA" because they were in a rush?
No, I was. :lol: