A close call at Wal-Mart

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

A close call at Wal-Mart

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 am

Scary

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5756211.html

Police thwart armed ex-employee at Austin Wal-Mart

AUSTIN — Police arrested a former Wal-Mart employee in an Austin store last week with a 9 mm handgun and numerous rounds of ammunition, according to arrest affidavits.

Edward William Eberle, 51, left a note Thursday morning to his wife giving her permission to "sell any story you wanna tell" and sent a text message to his sister telling her to turn her TV on, the Austin American-Statesman reported in its online edition Monday.

Eberle's wife called 911 at about 3 p.m. Thursday after she found a note from him telling her that: "I have chosen a life in prison. ... I'll try to die soon. Please return my library book and walk Cassie," a police affidavit said.

About two hours later, police found Eberle in the Wal-Mart, which the affidavit said was teeming with customers and employees.

Police said he had a gun near his chest and an "unreasonable amount of ammunition, leading one to believe that he had the intentions of using the handgun and ammunition he had in his possession."

Eberle was charged with making a terroristic threat and unlawfully carrying a weapon in a place that is licensed to sell alcohol. Both crimes are third-degree felonies that carry up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

An attorney for Eberle could not immediately be reached Monday by The Associated Press.

Eberle had worked at the Wal-Mart from September until March but was unable to keep his job because of ongoing pain, according to police affidavits.

"We deeply appreciate the quick actions of the Austin police to bring the situation under control, ensuring the safety and security of our customers and associates," Wal-Mart spokesman Dan Fogleman said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:24 am

Putting aside all that could have happened..........

He was worried about his library book and the dog?

wtf?

What was his little voice saying to him?

wtf?

TheCalvinator24

#3 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:28 am

peacock2121 wrote:Putting aside all that could have happened..........

He was worried about his library book and the dog?

wtf?

What was his little voice saying to him?

wtf?
"Life in the penitentiary is nothing compared to dealing with the Library Police."
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 06, 2008 9:29 am

He asked his wife to return his library book.

His attorneys will say that proves he is a responsible citizen and, therefore, should be given a low bail or have all charges dropped.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: A close call at Wal-Mart

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:07 am

BackInTex wrote: About two hours later, police found Eberle in the Wal-Mart, which the affidavit said was teeming with customers and employees.

Police said he had a gun near his chest and an "unreasonable amount of ammunition, leading one to believe that he had the intentions of using the handgun and ammunition he had in his possession."

What exactly would be considered a reasonable amount of ammunition to take with you to Wal~Mart? Maybe just enough to pick off a rude employee or that old lady digging through her pennies at the checkout....?

lb13

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:28 am

I do like to hear what catches the eye of each of us. I never even saw the unreasonable amount of ammunition part. I know I read it. I didn't see it.

funny

not ha ha funny.

or mocking funny.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 06, 2008 11:06 am

peacock2121 wrote:I do like to hear what catches the eye of each of us. I never even saw the unreasonable amount of ammunition part. I know I read it. I didn't see it.
For me it was, "Eberle was charged with...unlawfully carrying a weapon in a place that is licensed to sell alcohol."

Must be a leftover law from when the Texas Rangers were trying to put an end to all those saloon shoot-outs.

BackInTex

Re: A close call at Wal-Mart

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 06, 2008 1:35 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
BackInTex wrote: About two hours later, police found Eberle in the Wal-Mart, which the affidavit said was teeming with customers and employees.

What exactly would be considered a reasonable amount of ammunition to take with you to Wal~Mart? Maybe just enough to pick off a rude employee or that old lady digging through her pennies at the checkout....?

lb13
Just those with 13 items or more in the express checkout.

Or those that wait until they are almost done getting checked out then send the kid back for a box of detergent.

Or those that stand there yakking on their cell phone until the cashier says "87.63" then they put their shoulder up to thier ear while they fumble through their purse for a checkbook and pen. Then later their ID, as if it is a complete surprise that they have to pay for the goods or that they couldn't have began the checkwriting process until the cashier was completely through.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)