top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 5:52 am

My grandson has his first tooth - it erupted from the gumline over the weekend. He wasn't particularly fussy, nor did he run a low-grade fever (which was the case with all four of my sons). He's also on the verge of rolling over, which means that solid food and mobility are not far away.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:19 am

How sweet!

How is your son doing as a father?

How are things working out?

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 6:36 am

peacock2121 wrote:How sweet!

My son is showing himself to be an excellent father. As for how things are working out, let's just say that we've reached a state of equilibrium. He and the child's mother met with attorneys to try and establish some sort of ground rules for visitation. The bottom line is that she can come and get him whenever she wishes and keep him for 72 hours. I would have asked about how long my son got to keep Caden before his mother claimed him for another 72 hours. My son's classes are going very well and by the end of the year he'll have his associate's degree in accounting with guaranteed job placement through the school.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 am

earendel wrote:

My son is showing himself to be an excellent father. As for how things are working out, let's just say that we've reached a state of equilibrium. He and the child's mother met with attorneys to try and establish some sort of ground rules for visitation. The bottom line is that she can come and get him whenever she wishes and keep him for 72 hours. I would have asked about how long my son got to keep Caden before his mother claimed him for another 72 hours. My son's classes are going very well and by the end of the year he'll have his associate's degree in accounting with guaranteed job placement through the school.
It is great that the mother has an interest in her son. If the two of them could work in partnership in raising him, that would be the best of all possible outcomes.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 7:17 am

peacock2121 wrote:
earendel wrote:

It is great that the mother has an interest in her son. If the two of them could work in partnership in raising him, that would be the best of all possible outcomes.
I may be biased but I'm not sure that her interest is in the child but rather in the leverage it gives her over my son. They did not part on amicable terms - you may recall that she went back to an old boyfriend (and the father of her daughter) after he got out of jail). Still, Caden shows no signs of neglect when he comes back from being with her, so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:28 am

earendel wrote:

Have they had much interaction with the courts? Is there an actual court declaration of custody and visitation, temporary or permanant? I am wondering if the court has appointed a guardian ad litem for the child. It is great if the parents can resolve things (at least for some period of time), but a judge will want to know what is in the best interest of Caden from a neutral third-party. [By the end of my private practice time, I probably spent 25% of my time as a court-appointed guardian ad litem, so I have a bias towards the important role that he/she plays in placement decisions.]

Those first teeth, rolling, and other milestones are exciting! Of course, as you know, they lead to repeated statements to toddlers to get down from the tops of tables and counters. :lol:

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 8:12 am

Appa23 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Have they had much interaction with the courts? Is there an actual court declaration of custody and visitation, temporary or permanant? I am wondering if the court has appointed a guardian ad litem for the child. It is great if the parents can resolve things (at least for some period of time), but a judge will want to know what is in the best interest of Caden from a neutral third-party. [By the end of my private practice time, I probably spent 25% of my time as a court-appointed guardian ad litem, so I have a bias towards the important role that he/she plays in placement decisions.]
My son hired an attorney and started court proceedings but the child's mother didn't show up and has said she doesn't see the need to have lawyers involved. I was surprised that she attended a mediation session conducted by my son's attorney. There are no legal papers signed yet, and since it hasn't actually gone before a judge there has been no appointment of a guardian ad litem.
Appa23 wrote:Those first teeth, rolling, and other milestones are exciting! Of course, as you know, they lead to repeated statements to toddlers to get down from the tops of tables and counters. :lol:
Yeah, I know. I can hardly wait - for my son to experience the hassles elwing and I went through with him. :lol:

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 8:19 am

earendel wrote:My son hired an attorney and started court proceedings but the child's mother didn't show up and has said she doesn't see the need to have lawyers involved. I was surprised that she attended a mediation session conducted by my son's attorney. There are no legal papers signed yet, and since it hasn't actually gone before a judge there has been no appointment of a guardian ad litem.
When one party in a dispute starts court proceedings, I didn't realize that "not seeing the need to have lawyers involved" was a viable response from the other party. :roll: