RIP Michael Gambon

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Michael Gambon

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:06 am

Actor best known for playing Dumbledore in the later Harry Potter movies. He also played a number of gangsters and upper class Englishmen in other films and on TV. He was asked by James Bond producer Cubby Broccoli to audition for the role of 007 in 1970 to replace George Lazenby. (Sean Connery eventually returned to the role in Diamonds Are Forever.)

Age 82

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/mich ... 235738661/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: RIP Michael Gambon

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:00 am

My pick to replace Richard Harris was Ian McKellen. In the next two Harry Potter movies, I superimposed McKellen over Gambon in my imagination and put him in the Dumbledore scenes. But I have to admit, by the end of the series, Gambon won me over, and I didn't do that anymore.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

gsabc

Re: RIP Michael Gambon

#3 Post by gsabc » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:25 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:00 am
My pick to replace Richard Harris was Ian McKellen. In the next two Harry Potter movies, I superimposed McKellen over Gambon in my imagination and put him in the Dumbledore scenes. But I have to admit, by the end of the series, Gambon won me over, and I didn't do that anymore.
Never won me over. Harris, to me, had the right combination of benevolence and strength for the role. You just knew he would come out on top no matter how strong the opponent was. Gambon lost me when he grabbed Harry and yelled in his face to ask if he (Harry) had put his name into the Goblet of Fire. Harris's version would have been a quiet question to Harry, then at the "No!" response, he would calmly turn to the others and agree with Harry. Don't know if that was due to Gambon, the new director(s) or both, but he just didn't click in the role with me.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.