Game #217: A Star Is Born

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 am

Identify the 75 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Five actors will be used twice.

1. “And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?”

2. He himself was half-Irish and half-Mexican, but his film roles included Russians, Italians, Greeks, Arabs, and a variety of Native Americans

3. “Oh, no, sir. I'm sorry, sir. I could never answer to a whistle. Whistles are for dogs and cats and other animals, but not for children and definitely not for me.”

4. In a Hitchcock film, he recreated a role that had previously won him a Tony award.

5. “From what I've heard, your singing career was almost non-existent, and your married lover wants you dead. If you're fooling anyone, it is only yourself. God has brought you here. Take the hint.”

6. She recently received her first Oscar nomination in 29 years.

7. “Happy! Ward, you tell me the definition of happy. But first you better make sure your kids are good and safe, that they haven't fallen of a horse, been hit by a car, or drown in that swimming pool you're so proud of! Then, you come and tell me how to be happy!”

8. His real-life roles have included a pope, a Roman general, and a Southeast Asian monarch.

9. “You're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!”

10. He played the lead in a horror movie that Roger Ebert expressed a desire to "flush . . . down the toilet to see if it also grows into something big and fearsome."

11. “Eve would ask Abbott to give her Costello.”

12. She was the third actress in a seven-year period to win an Oscar playing opposite Laurence Harvey.

13. “You know what I find interesting about that, Annie? It's interesting to me that you have absolutely no friends. Do you know why that's interesting? Here's a friend standing directly in front of you, trying to talk to you, and you choose to talk about having no friends.”

14. He managed to complete his final film role - that of a Chinese mandarin - with the aid of oxygen tanks and a nurse.

15. “We're the victims of a foul disease called social prejudice, my child. These dear ladies of the Law and Order League are scouring out the dregs of the town. Come on. Be a proud, glorified dreg like me.”

16. In addition to her Oscar, she shared a Gold Record with her stepson.

17. “You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!”

18. Two decades after ending his television run as a famous fictional crimefighter, he was sworn in as a real-life reserve police officer in Idaho.

19. “I went to work when I was 12 years old. I been workin' ever since. I'll tell you my first job. It was a paper route. I bought another kid out with a swift kick in the kiester.”

20. She was the earliest Oscar-winning actor to fall victim to the infamous Red Channels blacklist.

21. “I saw this widow and she's a wreck. She has just lost the person she loved the most in this world and I realized we're all going to lose the people we love. That's the way it is, but not me. Not right now. Because the person I love the most is standing right here and I'm not ready to lose you yet.”

22. Except for Marilyn Monroe, she was the biggest star ever to have appeared in a Marx Brothers movie.

23. “Old McDonald had a farm/Ee-i-ee-i-o/And on that farm he shot some guys/Badda-boom-badda-bing-bang-boom.”

24. He played the brother of Gary Cooper, the husband of Grace Kelly, and the father of Ryan O’Neal.

25. “So you have chosen ... death.”

26. In 1941, he played a heroic role that would be played again 78 years later by Zachary Levi.

27. “I can't believe I have a bunch of dead people watching videos in my living room.”

28. As of the posting of this game, she is the last surviving cast member of IAMMMMW.

29. “You're that secret agent! That English secret agent! From England! You're chasin' somebody. Who you got this time, boy? Commies? Let's go get 'em! I'm with you all the way!”

30. In the movie that made John Wayne a major star, he was billed below this actress.

31. “Look, right across the board: eleven, eleven, eleven ….”

32. For 23 years, this Oscar-winning actor was related by marriage to Post Cereals and the Wall Street firm of E.F. Hutton.

33. “You wanna run me down, go ahead. You can be as mean and hurtful as you want, but this is the last time you will ever hit me! You do it again, one of us is goin' to the boneyard!”

34. In two different films, this Jamaican actress played the wife of the actor whose ancestor she had played in a television miniseries.

35. “God, she's beautiful. She's got the prettiest eyes. She looks so sexy in that sweater. I just want to be alone with her and hold her and kiss her and tell her how much I love her and take care of her. Stop it you idiot, she's your wife's sister.”

36. She was the second actress in a seven-year period to win an Oscar playing opposite Laurence Harvey.

37. “It must have been hard on your mother, not having any children.”

38. It took her a record 48 years to complete the Triple Crown of Acting. (Between her Emmy and Tony wins, she was busy doing other things.)

39. “It happens to everyone ... men, I mean. We're lucky ... women, I mean … we can fake it if we have to. Oh, oh, don't get me wrong I never have with you! Faked it, I mean. With you it's like ... pow, pow, pow, like the fourth of July, every time! But just tonight, cause you couldn't ... up to now, it's been grand, Pooky, really, really grand, but if there's one thing I know for sure, you can't let it get you, you should excuse the expression, down. You can't think about it, you just gotta put it out of your mind! The more you think about it, the more you worry. The more you worry, the more you think … think, worry, worry, think.... It just gets like a vicious cycle! And then, before you know it … you are impudent!”

40. This actor/director said of his never-seen, never-completed 1972 film, “I was embarrassed. I was ashamed of the work, and I was grateful that I had the power to contain it all, and never let anyone see it. It was bad, bad, bad.”

41. “I am more interested in the Rock of Ages than I am in the age of rocks.”

42. She is the only Oscar-winning actress to have a memorial plaque in the Poet’s Corner of Westminster Abbey.

43. “I've come to see lots of nice people who hate it and deplore it and protest their own innocence, then help it along and wonder why it grows. People who would never beat up a Jew. People who think anti-Semitism is far away in some dark place with low-class morons. That's the biggest discovery I've made. The good people. The nice people.”

44. He played opposite Shirley Temple in her first three starring roles.

45. “Was that cannon fire, or is it my heart pounding?”

46. She gave up acting due to her marriage to a rising politician - who gave up politics due to his affair with a young model.

47. “I'm old fashioned. I don't believe in extra-marital relationships. I think people should mate for life - like pigeons or Catholics.”

48. He played the first murderer outwitted by Peter Falk’s Lieutenant Columbo.

49. “I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.”

50. He co-created a TV series with Mel Brooks and co-directed a movie with Warren Beatty.

51. “He's making violent love to me, mother!”

52. He received an Oscar nomination for playing the real-life husband of an actress in one of the preceding clues.

53. “It's not a monster, it's just a doggy….”

54. In a classic comedy directed by Jean Renoir, he played a role that would later be Americanized by Nick Nolte.

55. “We're not talking about killing people. Herb's talking about killing me and I'm talking about killing him.”

56. They appeared in three films together - including a 1932 horror classic - and zero films separately.

57. “This is humiliating and I'm pregnant and incapable of bullsh*t. Where is our offer from Arizona? I don't know what you do for your four percent but my husband has a whole plan, an image and when you put him in a waterbed warehouse commercial you're making him common, when you know he deserves the big four: shoes, cars, clothing line, soft drink. I know about the four jewels of the celebrity endorsement dollar. I majored in marketing and so did my husband. We came to play."

58. His real-life roles included an American gangster, a British-American comedian, an Italian dictator, and the emperor of France.

59. “Don't be so inquisitive. The gentleman died because he drank some wine with poison in it.”

60. He was Hollywood’s first genuine western star, with a career dating all the way back to The Great Train Robbery.

61. “You're gonna have an amazing story to tell your friends. If not, you'll have a tag on your toe. You decide. Hurry up. Let's go. Ma'am, would you be quiet? Sir, get down, please. Thank you. Just stay there. Just get real comfortable. Hey, uh, throw in some bottles of Wild Turkey, too, will you?”

62. Many scoffed when this wise-cracking orchestra leader wed a popular musical comedy star, but they had the last laugh: their marriage lasted 54 years until his death.

63. “I'm just the crazy slut with a dead husband! F*ck you!”

64. On film, she has worked under the direction of Woody Allen, Steven Soderbergh, Brian DePalma, Barbra Streisand - but not her first husband.

65. “Wait! Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso!”

66. He played one real-life role that would later be reprised by Jason Schwartzmann, and another that would later be reprised by Jim Broadbent.

67. “I'd have to be pretty stupid to write a book about killing and then kill him the way I described in my book.”

68. In a television series, his father played a great American fictional detective; in a later series, he played the legman of another great American fictional detective.

69. “If you arrest all the men who get intoxicated in Atlanta, you must have a good many Yankees in jail, Captain.”

70. Her second and third husbands were Hollywood directors, her fourth a popular bandleader.

71. “Susan, I speak French, but that doesn't make me Joan of Arc.”

72. She has received more Oscar nominations than any other Black actress.

73. “You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear.”

74. She very much wanted to star opposite her husband in two prestige films of the early 1940s, but the roles ended up going to Joan Fontaine and Greer Garson.

75. “There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society ... outside of a kennel.”
Last edited by franktangredi on Mon May 06, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kroxquo

Re: Game #217: A Star Is Born

#2 Post by kroxquo » Mon May 06, 2024 1:13 pm

Identify the 75 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

14. He managed to complete his final film role - that of a Chinese mandarin - with the aid of oxygen tanks and a nurse.

Peter Sellers

Charlton Heston

29. “You're that secret agent! That English secret agent! From England! You're chasin' somebody. Who you got this time, boy? Commies? Let's go get 'em! I'm with you all the way!”

Clifton James

Christopher Guest

34. In two different films, this Jamaican actress played the wife of the actor whose ancestor she had played in a television miniseries.

Cicely Tyson

40. This actor/director said of his never-seen, never-completed 1972 film, “I was embarrassed. I was ashamed of the work, and I was grateful that I had the power to contain it all, and never let anyone see it. It was bad, bad, bad.”

Jerry Lewis

Frederic March

Ingrid Bergman

46. She gave up acting due to her marriage to a rising politician - who gave up politics due to his affair with a young model.

Jeri Ryan

49. “I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.”

Robert Shaw

50. He co-created a TV series with Mel Brooks and co-directed a movie with Warren Beatty.

Carl Reiner?

Donna Reed

59. “Don't be so inquisitive. The gentleman died because he drank some wine with poison in it.”

One of the old ladies in Arsenic and Old Lace

61. “You're gonna have an amazing story to tell your friends. If not, you'll have a tag on your toe. You decide. Hurry up. Let's go. Ma'am, would you be quiet? Sir, get down, please. Thank you. Just stay there. Just get real comfortable. Hey, uh, throw in some bottles of Wild Turkey, too, will you?”

Natural Born Killers? Woody Harrelson if so

Gene Hackman

67. “I'd have to be pretty stupid to write a book about killing and then kill him the way I described in my book.”

Sharon Stone

68. In a television series, his father played a great American fictional detective; in a later series, he played the legman of another great American fictional detective.

Jim Hutton?

69. “If you arrest all the men who get intoxicated in Atlanta, you must have a good many Yankees in jail, Captain.”

Clark Gable
Last edited by kroxquo on Mon May 06, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:57 pm

CORRECTED TO ALL ACTORS

1. “And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?”

JIMMY SSTEWART

2. He himself was half-Irish and half-Mexican, but his film roles included Russians, Italians, Greeks, Arabs, and a variety of Native Americans

ANTHONY QUINN

3. “Oh, no, sir. I'm sorry, sir. I could never answer to a whistle. Whistles are for dogs and cats and other animals, but not for children and definitely not for me.”

JULIE ANDREWS

5. “From what I've heard, your singing career was almost non-existent, and your married lover wants you dead. If you're fooling anyone, it is only yourself. God has brought you here. Take the hint.”

MAGGIE SMITH

JODIE FOSTER

7. “Happy! Ward, you tell me the definition of happy. But first you better make sure your kids are good and safe, that they haven't fallen of a horse, been hit by a car, or drown in that swimming pool you're so proud of! Then, you come and tell me how to be happy!”

DONALD SUTHERLAND

WARNER BAXTER

CELESTE HOLM

12. She was the third actress in a seven-year period to win an Oscar playing opposite Laurence Harvey.

JULIE CHRISTIE

13. “You know what I find interesting about that, Annie? It's interesting to me that you have absolutely no friends. Do you know why that's interesting? Here's a friend standing directly in front of you, trying to talk to you, and you choose to talk about having no friends.”

MELISSA MCCARTHY

15. “We're the victims of a foul disease called social prejudice, my child. These dear ladies of the Law and Order League are scouring out the dregs of the town. Come on. Be a proud, glorified dreg like me.”

THOMAS MITCHELL

CHARLTON HESTON

18. Two decades after ending his television run as a famous fictional crimefighter, he was sworn in as a real-life reserve police officer in Idaho.

ERIK ESTRADA

19. “I went to work when I was 12 years old. I been workin' ever since. I'll tell you my first job. It was a paper route. I bought another kid out with a swift kick in the kiester.”

BRODERICK CRAWFORD

20. She was the earliest Oscar-winning actor to fall victim to the infamous Red Channels blacklist.

GALE SONDERGAARD?

22. Except for Marilyn Monroe, she was the biggest star ever to have appeared in a Marx Brothers movie.

LUCILLE BALL

24. He played the brother of Gary Cooper, the husband of Grace Kelly, and the father of Ryan O’Neal.

RAY MILLAND

28. As of the posting of this game, she is the last surviving cast member of IAMMMMW.

BARRIE CHASE

30. In the movie that made John Wayne a major star, he was billed below this actress.

CLAIRE TREVOR

CHRISTOPHER GUEST

32. For 23 years, this Oscar-winning actor was related by marriage to Post Cereals and the Wall Street firm of E.F. Hutton.

CLIFF ROBERTSON

MADGE SINCLAIR

35. “God, she's beautiful. She's got the prettiest eyes. She looks so sexy in that sweater. I just want to be alone with her and hold her and kiss her and tell her how much I love her and take care of her. Stop it you idiot, she's your wife's sister.”

MICHAEL CAINE

36. She was the second actress in a seven-year period to win an Oscar playing opposite Laurence Harvey.

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

GINGER ROGERS

38. It took her a record 48 years to complete the Triple Crown of Acting. (Between her Emmy and Tony wins, she was busy doing other things.)

GLENDA JACKSON

39. “It happens to everyone ... men, I mean. We're lucky ... women, I mean … we can fake it if we have to. Oh, oh, don't get me wrong I never have with you! Faked it, I mean. With you it's like ... pow, pow, pow, like the fourth of July, every time! But just tonight, cause you couldn't ... up to now, it's been grand, Pooky, really, really grand, but if there's one thing I know for sure, you can't let it get you, you should excuse the expression, down. You can't think about it, you just gotta put it out of your mind! The more you think about it, the more you worry. The more you worry, the more you think … think, worry, worry, think.... It just gets like a vicious cycle! And then, before you know it … you are impudent!”

LESLEY ANN WARREN

FREDRIC MARCH

43. “I've come to see lots of nice people who hate it and deplore it and protest their own innocence, then help it along and wonder why it grows. People who would never beat up a Jew. People who think anti-Semitism is far away in some dark place with low-class morons. That's the biggest discovery I've made. The good people. The nice people.”

DOROTHY MCGUIRE

JAMES DUNN

INGRID BERGMAN

VALERIE HOBSON

ROBERT SHAW

BUCK HENRY

DONNA REED

55. “We're not talking about killing people. Herb's talking about killing me and I'm talking about killing him.”

HENRY TRAVERS

57. “This is humiliating and I'm pregnant and incapable of bullsh*t. Where is our offer from Arizona? I don't know what you do for your four percent but my husband has a whole plan, an image and when you put him in a waterbed warehouse commercial you're making him common, when you know he deserves the big four: shoes, cars, clothing line, soft drink. I know about the four jewels of the celebrity endorsement dollar. I majored in marketing and so did my husband. We came to play."

REGINA KING

JOSEPHINE HULL

60. He was Hollywood’s first genuine western star, with a career dating all the way back to The Great Train Robbery.

BRONCO BILLY ANDERSON

62. Many scoffed when this wise-cracking orchestra leader wed a popular musical comedy star, but they had the last laugh: their marriage lasted 54 years until his death.

PHIL HARRIS?

64. On film, she has worked under the direction of Woody Allen, Steven Soderbergh, Brian DePalma, Barbra Streisand - but not her first husband.

AMY IRVING

GENE HACKMAN

OLIVIA DEHAVILAND

MAUREEN O'HARA

73. “You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear.”

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS

74. She very much wanted to star opposite her husband in two prestige films of the early 1940s, but the roles ended up going to Joan Fontaine and Greer Garson.

VIVIEN LEIGH

75. “There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society ... outside of a kennel.”

JOAN CRAWFORD
Last edited by mellytu74 on Mon May 06, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

#4 Post by franktangredi » Mon May 06, 2024 2:57 pm

DOH! I MEAN IDENTIFY THE 75 ACTORS, NOT THE 75 MOVIES!

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 06, 2024 3:02 pm

Song lyrics aren't my forte, so I passed on the previous game. Let's see how this one fares. Thanks, Frank.

Identify the 75 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

ANTHONY QUINN

JODIE FOSTER

CHARLTON HESTON

CLAIRE TREVOR

CLIFF ROBERTSON

MADGE SINCLAIR (I used a different version of this clue in one of my puzzles)

GLENDA JACKSON

JERRY LEWIS?

BILL ROBINSON

GENE BARRY (Jack Cassidy on the TV series itself)

ROBERT SHAW

BUCK HENRY

58. His real-life roles included an American gangster, a British-American comedian, an Italian dictator, and the emperor of France.
ROD STEIGER

AMY IRVING

TIMOTHY HUTTON[/quote]
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#6 Post by kroxquo » Mon May 06, 2024 4:22 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:57 pm
DOH! I MEAN IDENTIFY THE 75 ACTORS, NOT THE 75 MOVIES!
I've gone back and revised my answers to the actors and removed some that on reflection I am pretty sure were wrong

mellytu74

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:19 pm

AN Idea

Stars and Oscar wins. There are some names I threw out. Now, it CANNOT be as simple as matching stars and Oscar wins. Still, this is the first thing I thought of.

But how do you account for Erik Estrada or Phil Harris or Broncho Billy Anderson. Still working on ideas.

GALE SONDERGAARD?

Could this be ANNE REVERE instead? Because Revere won her Oscar playing the mother of Elizabeth Taylor in National Velvet

Dorothy McGuire would be used twice for Oscar winners - Celeste Holm (Gentlemen's Agreement) and James Dunn (A Tree Groves in Brooklyn)
Last edited by mellytu74 on Tue May 07, 2024 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:19 pm
Could this be ANNE REVERE instead? Because Revere won her Oscar playing the mother of Elizabeth Taylor in National Velvet

Dorothy McGuire would be used twice for Oscar winners - Celeste Holm (Gentlemen's Agreement) and James Dunn (A Tree Groves in Brooklyn)
It would seem that Oscar winning actors are one half of the match, and there are some pairings with someone playing their parent (Timothy Hutton-Donald Sutherland). But I can't find a way to make Erik Estrada work. Estrada has two significant movie roles, Airport 1975 and Midway, with lots of Oscar-winning co-stars, but he doesn't play the son of any of them.

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 07, 2024 7:45 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 pm
mellytu74 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:19 pm

It would seem that Oscar winning actors are one half of the match, and there are some pairings with someone playing their parent (Timothy Hutton-Donald Sutherland). But I can't find a way to make Erik Estrada work. Estrada has two significant movie roles, Airport 1975 and Midway, with lots of Oscar-winning co-stars, but he doesn't play the son of any of them.
They wouldn't all be parents - McGuire's not. It cannot be as simple as an Oscar winner and co-star. There's gotta be a something to make the outliers make sense.

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Tue May 07, 2024 8:41 am

JULIE ANDREWS

CHARLTON HESTON

BUCK HENRY

SHARON STONE

MAUREEN O’HARA
Last edited by jarnon on Tue May 07, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 07, 2024 9:29 am

franktangredi wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 am
4. In a Hitchcock film, he recreated a role that had previously won him a Tony award.
JOHN WILLIAMS

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 07, 2024 1:59 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 am
56. They appeared in three films together - including a 1932 horror classic - and zero films separately.
I knew the movie and I knew the actresses involved, but I had to look up their names. They are DAISY and VIOLET HILTON, the conjoined twins who appeared in Tod Browning's Freaks. I could only find a record of one other movie, Chained for Life in 1952, in which one of them goes on trial for murder, and the issue is whether the state can punish the innocent sister as well.

franktangredi

#13 Post by franktangredi » Tue May 07, 2024 2:34 pm

Jeez! It never occurred to me that there might be TWO actors who became police officers in Idaho!

mellytu74

#14 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 07, 2024 3:51 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:34 pm
Jeez! It never occurred to me that there might be TWO actors who became police officers in Idaho!
OMG - There's TWO???????? :shock:

kroxquo

#15 Post by kroxquo » Wed May 08, 2024 8:32 am

CONSOLIDATION

Identify the 75 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

JIMMY STEWART

ANTHONY QUINN

JULIE ANDREWS

JOHN WILLIAMS

MAGGIE SMITH

JODIE FOSTER

DONALD SUTHERLAND

8. His real-life roles have included a pope, a Roman general, and a Southeast Asian monarch.

WARNER BAXTER

10. He played the lead in a horror movie that Roger Ebert expressed a desire to "flush . . . down the toilet to see if it also grows into something big and fearsome."

CELESTE HOLM

JULIE CHRISTIE

MELISSA MCCARTHY

PETER SELLERS

THOMAS MITCHELL

CHARLTON HESTON

ERIK ESTRADA

BRODERICK CRAWFORD

GALE SONDERGAARD? ANNE REVERE?

21. “I saw this widow and she's a wreck. She has just lost the person she loved the most in this world and I realized we're all going to lose the people we love. That's the way it is, but not me. Not right now. Because the person I love the most is standing right here and I'm not ready to lose you yet.”

LUCILLE BALL

23. “Old McDonald had a farm/Ee-i-ee-i-o/And on that farm he shot some guys/Badda-boom-badda-bing-bang-boom.”

RAY MILLAND

26. In 1941, he played a heroic role that would be played again 78 years later by Zachary Levi.

27. “I can't believe I have a bunch of dead people watching videos in my living room.”

BARRIE CHASE

CLIFTON JAMES

CLAIRE TREVOR

CHRISTOPHER GUEST

CLIFF ROBERTSON

33. “You wanna run me down, go ahead. You can be as mean and hurtful as you want, but this is the last time you will ever hit me! You do it again, one of us is goin' to the boneyard!”

CICELY TYSON? MADGE SINCLAIR?

MICHAEL CAINE

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

GINGER ROGERS

GLENDA JACKSON

LESLEY ANNE WARREN

JERRY LEWIS

FREDERIC MARCH

42. She is the only Oscar-winning actress to have a memorial plaque in the Poet’s Corner of Westminster Abbey.

DOROTHY MCGUIRE

JAMES DUNN? BILL ROBINSON?

INGRID BERGMAN

JERI RYAN? VALERIE HOBSON?

47. “I'm old fashioned. I don't believe in extra-marital relationships. I think people should mate for life - like pigeons or Catholics.”

GENE BARRY

ROBERT SHAW

BUCK HENRY

DONNA REED

52. He received an Oscar nomination for playing the real-life husband of an actress in one of the preceding clues.

54. In a classic comedy directed by Jean Renoir, he played a role that would later be Americanized by Nick Nolte.

HENRY TRAVERS

DAISY & VIOLET HILTON

REGINA KING

ROD STEIGER

JOSEPHINE HULL

BRONCO BILLY ANDERSON

WOODY HARRELSON?

PHIL HARRIS?

AMY IRVING

GENE HACKMAN

66. He played one real-life role that would later be reprised by Jason Schwartzmann, and another that would later be reprised by Jim Broadbent.

SHARON STONE

TIMOTHY HUTTON

OLIVIA DEHAVILLAND

70. Her second and third husbands were Hollywood directors, her fourth a popular bandleader.

MAUREEN O'HARA

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS

VIVIEN LEIGH

JOAN CRAWFORD
Last edited by kroxquo on Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am

ROBERT FORSTER

RACHEL MCADAMS
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:43 am

I think 8. is OMAR SHARIF (St. Peter, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Genghis Khan).

18. is actually DEAN CAIN, the second retired TV fictional crimefighter to be installed as a reserve police officer in Idaho.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Wed May 08, 2024 1:22 pm

I know the Zachary Levi film: Shazam! I looked up who played him in 1941: TOM TYLER.
Last edited by jarnon on Wed May 08, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#19 Post by jarnon » Wed May 08, 2024 1:33 pm

Most of Nolte’s films are comedies, with the notable exception of Down and Out in Beverly Hills. The actor in the earlier French film (I looked it up) is MICHEL SIMON.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#20 Post by jarnon » Wed May 08, 2024 1:37 pm

VIOLA DAVIS
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 08, 2024 2:29 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:43 am
I think 8. is OMAR SHARIF (St. Peter, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Genghis Khan).
Genghis Khan wasn't a southeast Asian monarch (and not really a monarch). This is REX HARRISON, who played the King of Siam in Anna and the King. Needless to say, he's another Oscar winner, which means that the link almost certainly has to do with that fact.

mrkelley23

#22 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 08, 2024 2:50 pm

Wed May 08, 2024 2:29 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Genghis Khan wasn't a southeast Asian monarch (and not really a monarch). This is REX HARRISON, who played the King of Siam in Anna and the King. Needless to say, he's another Oscar winner, which means that the link almost certainly has to do with that fact.
I can understand him not being characterized as a monarch, and Harrison certainly makes more sense, but are you saying that Genghis Khan wasn't southeast Asian?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#23 Post by franktangredi » Wed May 08, 2024 2:54 pm

There are four incorrect answers on this consolidation. One has subsequently been corrected. Two are a case of 'right church, wrong pew.'

Of the two with question marks, one is right and one is wrong.

All of the ones with two possible answers include the correct answer.
kroxquo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 8:32 am
CONSOLIDATION

JIMMY STEWART

ANTHONY QUINN

JULIE ANDREWS

JOHN WILLIAMS

MAGGIE SMITH

JODIE FOSTER

DONALD SUTHERLAND

WARNER BAXTER

CELESTE HOLM

JULIE CHRISTIE

MELISSA MCCARTHY

PETER SELLERS

THOMAS MITCHELL

CHARLTON HESTON

ERIK ESTRADA

BRODERICK CRAWFORD

GALE SONDERGAARD? ANNE REVERE?

LUCILLE BALL

RAY MILLAND

BARRIE CHASE

CLIFTON JAMES

CLAIRE TREVOR

CHRISTOPHER GUEST

CLIFF ROBERTSON

CICELY TYSON? MADGE SINCLAIR?

MICHAEL CAINE

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

GINGER ROGERS

GLENDA JACKSON

LESLEY ANNE WARREN

JERRY LEWIS

FREDERIC MARCH

DOROTHY MCGUIRE

JAMES DUNN? BILL ROBINSON?

INGRID BERGMAN

JERI RYAN? VALERIE HOBSON?

GENE BARRY

ROBERT SHAW

BUCK HENRY

DONNA REED

HENRY TRAVERS

DAISY & VIOLET HILTON

REGINA KING

ROD STEIGER

JOSEPHINE HULL

BRONCO BILLY ANDERSON

WOODY HARRELSON?

PHIL HARRIS?

AMY IRVING

GENE HACKMAN

SHARON STONE

TIMOTHY HUTTON

OLIVIA DEHAVILLAND

MAUREEN O'HARA

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS

VIVIEN LEIGH

JOAN CRAWFORD

franktangredi

#24 Post by franktangredi » Wed May 08, 2024 2:55 pm

One right, one wrong.
Vandal wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am
ROBERT FORSTER

RACHEL MCADAMS

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 08, 2024 3:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:50 pm
Wed May 08, 2024 2:29 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
I can understand him not being characterized as a monarch, and Harrison certainly makes more sense, but are you saying that Genghis Khan wasn't southeast Asian?
I wouldn't classify Mongolia as southern Asia, while Thailand/Siam certainly is.