Good luck to our BBs in Atlanta!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

#26 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:14 pm

gsn309 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsn309 wrote:But --- if they're lying about the fact that it is random, that would suck, eh?
Did they actually tell you that the decision to tape a second interview was random? Or did they just say that it doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other?
I specifically asked, and was told it was random.
<Inigo_Motoya>They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.</Inigo_Montoya>

MarleysGh0st

Re: Good luck to our BBs in Atlanta!

#27 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:15 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:She's right. It doesn't hurt them a bit.
I don't know about that. Some of those APs look like they're being tortured by the boredom. :twisted:

Is that their fault?
No, it's TPTB's fault for sending them out with instructions to cast talk show guests instead of trivia game contestants who want to be a millionaire.

summus123

Re: Good luck to our BBs in Atlanta!

#28 Post by summus123 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:26 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: I don't know about that. Some of those APs look like they're being tortured by the boredom. :twisted:

Is that their fault?
No, it's TPTB's fault for sending them out with instructions to cast talk show guests instead of trivia game contestants who want to be a millionaire.
Couldn't agree more

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#29 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:20 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
slam wrote: And I also share Marley's assessment of the situation despite hearing the AP specifically say that wasn't true.
Well, I believe half of what they say is true: getting the second interview is not a guarantee of getting in the pool. However, as for not getting the second interview not necessarily meaning that you're not getting into the pool...well, I suppose there might be that rare contestant who is soooo over-the-top fabulous that the APs all but give him or her a tape date right there...but why not videotape such a person just to show him off to TPTB?

Edit: Added a missing verb.

All the shows that I auditioned for prior to 1990 and excluding Jeopardy followed the same audition principles. A simple test to eliminate a few. Then there was a cursory "interview". It generally consisted of each passer standing and talking about themselves for a minute. Then a few are asked to stay and the others are told that their names are put in a file and they still might be called. And of those asked to stay, most will get on the show and the others were thrown back into the pool. As I write this I think that the WOF tryouts are different and so was Pyramid. These require good gameplay so the auditions are probably different. And then there is TPIR where they interview you while you're on line.
An addendum.....The names of all potential contestants do go into a coordinator's rolodex. In LA coordinators are hired for new shows because they have these lists. Sorta like notebookboy. That's how I was contacted for Greed. Enough for now. I think I'll go and make a sock puppet. It's better than darning them.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#30 Post by frogman042 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:47 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsn309 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Did they actually tell you that the decision to tape a second interview was random? Or did they just say that it doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other?
I specifically asked, and was told it was random.
<Inigo_Motoya>They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.</Inigo_Montoya>
Ditto... random can mean different things to different folk, but I find it truly hard to believe that it is random in the stochastic sense - at least in all cases. Then again, I don't think they can deliberately lie either - given S&P and any hint of impropriety - so they may be using random in the sense of not knowing in advance who would be selected for the 2nd interview/taping - but I would be very surprised if it wasn't up to the interviewer to make the call. This is because at the end of my 1st interview, the interview told me that she would like me to do a video interview and gave me the release form to fill out - no one consulted with her so if it was random, it had to happen before the interview.

Someone mentioned that it might be based on the Polaroid, but I doubt that. In my session, they take the photo has soon as you get called when they announce who passed the test, and they immediately hand you the undeveloped photo - so no one saw the photo other then the interviewer and they seemed to make the call on the video interview.

Finally, at least from the data on this board, no one has yet to get a happy card who didn't have the video interview - granted it is a very small sample, but if it was truly random I don't think it would skew that way.

After all that, I hope I'm wrong and I hope you get the happy card without the video interview. Also, it might be different with speciality auditions in the mix - they might have decided to only video for those.

Good luck!

slam

#31 Post by slam » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:00 am

While I was at an audition, they specifically said "If you get asked to tape a 2nd interview, it does not necessarily mean that you will end up on the show. Also, if do not get asked to tape a 2nd interview, it does not necessarily meant that you will not end up on the show" (my words, but that's the gist of what was said). Nonetheless, I don't really believe them. Sure, there might be a person or two who ends up on the show without a 2nd interview because anything can happen. But why wouldn't they just tape anybody who is in the ballpark of being chosen for the show?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#32 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:14 am

slam wrote:While I was at an audition, they specifically said "If you get asked to tape a 2nd interview, it does not necessarily mean that you will end up on the show. Also, if do not get asked to tape a 2nd interview, it does not necessarily meant that you will not end up on the show" (my words, but that's the gist of what was said). Nonetheless, I don't really believe them. Sure, there might be a person or two who ends up on the show without a 2nd interview because anything can happen. But why wouldn't they just tape anybody who is in the ballpark of being chosen for the show?
I agree 100% with your assessment.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.