Relationship name question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Relationship name question

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:37 am

The BIL I've been mentioning was married to my oldest sister, who passed away ten years ago. He has remained a part of the family since then, and I still consider him my BIL. Is there a term for his second wife, regarding her relationship to me? Does this make them both in-laws? Or do I just call her my BIL's new or second wife? That feels too impersonal to me.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

Re: Relationship name question

#2 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 am

gsabc wrote:The BIL I've been mentioning was married to my oldest sister, who passed away ten years ago. He has remained a part of the family since then, and I still consider him my BIL. Is there a term for his second wife, regarding her relationship to me? Does this make them both in-laws? Or do I just call her my BIL's new or second wife? That feels too impersonal to me.
That's sort of the same thing as what your brother-in-law's sister is to you. She's your brother-in-law's sister or your sister's sister-in-law.

In your case, I'd say that since she has no relationship to your sister and your relationship to your brother-in-law is only through your sister, then she has no relationship to you and she's your brother-in-law's wife.

Unless you are close to both of them. Which makes her your friend.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.