Refund from flight from heck!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
geoffil

Refund from flight from heck!

#1 Post by geoffil » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 am

I got a letter and voucher from Southwest yesterday. They apologized for all the problems with the cabin pressure and sitting on the runway for 3 hours with no a/c in St. Louis. They gave us vouchers for a future flight for the cost of our entire flight to Las Vegas.

That was so nice and unexpected.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:38 am

Holy Crap!

I am impressed.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 am

Good for them!

And for you! :)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Re: Refund from flight from heck!

#4 Post by frogman042 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:11 am

geoffil wrote:I got a letter and voucher from Southwest yesterday. They apologized for all the problems with the cabin pressure and sitting on the runway for 3 hours with no a/c in St. Louis. They gave us vouchers for a future flight for the cost of our entire flight to Las Vegas.

Check the fine print - I'm pretty sure it states that it is valid only for flights without A/C and minimum wait on the runway of 3 hours.

Actually, I like SW - for work years ago I used to have to go to Dallas once a week for nearly a year (no overnights) from Austin - a short trip - but by booking on-line at the time they gave you double rewards and since they didn't do 'miles' but segments I was able to get enough free flights to fly the whole family for free up to New York State (at the time there were only 11 of us, this was before our youngest was born) - all by never flying more then around 200 miles per trip and no overnights, and less then 1 year of travel! Also, they didn't have 'special seats for frequent fliers' that get sold out - their policy was if a seat is open then you can use your voucher - so we didn't have to worry about booking different flights or not being able to use them - it was pretty neat and something we could not have afforded or have been able to do with most other airlines.

In addition, their flight staff always were friendly and tried to be amusing - on one short Dallas/Austin flight (40 minutes air time) they announced the in-flight movie was 'Gone With The Wind' , on another, when they annouce the pilot's and co-pilot's names (which everyone usually ignores), they gave the names of Alvin York and Audie Murphy - Unfortunatly I think I was probably the only one on the plane who laughed and understood the joke - I'm not sure how many people would recognize the names (oh well).

Anyway, congrats for the vouchers and use them on a more pleasant flight.

---Jay (Can I count on a Chumash?)

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:15 am

frogman042 wrote: Also, they didn't have 'special seats for frequent fliers' that get sold out - their policy was if a seat is open then you can use your voucher
They'd get my support for this one decision alone. Too bad there aren't any Southwest flights up here.

frogman042 wrote:on another, when they annouce the pilot's and co-pilot's names (which everyone usually ignores), they gave the names of Alvin York and Audie Murphy - Unfortunatly I think I was probably the only one on the plane who laughed and understood the joke - I'm not sure how many people would recognize the names (oh well).
I'd love to have seen the quizzical looks on the other passengers when you started laughing at that. :lol:

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:11 am

geoffil wrote:I got a letter and voucher from Southwest yesterday. They apologized for all the problems with the cabin pressure and sitting on the runway for 3 hours with no a/c in St. Louis. They gave us vouchers for a future flight for the cost of our entire flight to Las Vegas.

I can assure you that you would never get this from any other airline. I had a Delta international flight from hell a few years ago. I wrote a letter complaining about all the things that went wrong. I did get a letter back along with a $100 voucher. But nothing close to what SW sent you.

I fly SW a lot as it has a nonstop between Birmingham and Louisville. It's almost cheaper than what I could drive and it only takes 45 minutes as opposed to 8 hrs!!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#7 Post by frogman042 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:18 am

kayrharris wrote:

I can assure you that you would never get this from any other airline. I had a Delta international flight from hell a few years ago. I wrote a letter complaining about all the things that went wrong. I did get a letter back along with a $100 voucher. But nothing close to what SW sent you.

I fly SW a lot as it has a nonstop between Birmingham and Louisville. It's almost cheaper than what I could drive and it only takes 45 minutes as opposed to 8 hrs!!
My son, the one who just got married, lives in Louisville - say hi for me!

---Jay (since when do little piggies eat Roast Beef?)

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#8 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 am

OK! I grew up there and my 91 year mother is still there. I try to get up to see her about once every 3 - 4 months.

It's nice, but so big now. I'm a small town girl now. :)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

marrymeflyfree

#9 Post by marrymeflyfree » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:54 am

Yay! Glad to hear they made amends....may the flight you take with those vouchers be a good one!