Transcript 05/21/09 - Venida Evans

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/21/09 - Venida Evans

#26 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:01 am

Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote:
clem21 wrote: BobJ is related to him.
Him who? Ogi? Or Longshanks?
Longshanks, but probably Ogi too.
I had to look up which King Edward he was. Longshanks was Edward I... not his son, Edward II, the one who had the hot rod up the arse. But you're related to him, too.

Appa23

#27 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:51 am

jacorbett70 wrote: A little too late for our Joey. Either the CNBC guy couldn't hang out for a whole taping day or they sent him to the showers like an ineffective pitcher.
LOL! Because Ogi did such a bang-up job on that $8000 question.

I am thinking that Jim Cramer likely had heard of a Denver boot. :P

The Double Dip would have been helpful on the last question. (Although, the diction really only fit one of the choices.)

Appa23

#28 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:54 am

duplicate type of thing
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Appa23

#29 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:56 am

earendel wrote:[For some reason my computer is acting strangely and won't let me scroll through the message when using "Quote".]

With respect to Venida, she's a WE/WE®. I loved her voice, though, and the story about the swarming bees was a hoot. I've never seen an IKEA commercial nor do I watch L&O.

The only problem I'd have had with her stack was the movie question - I couldn't remember whether it was "The Forsaken" or "The Others", so I'd have used ATA.

And a real expert is back! "Ogi! Ogi! Ogi! Oy! Oy! Oy!" Even though he didn't know the answer he did point her in the right direction. That's the hallmark of a true expert; Jim Cramer admitted when he didn't know something but he didn't do much else.
See, I would say that the hallmark of a true expert is actually knowing the answer, so you do not have to waste your last lifeline on the question.

MarleysGh0st

#30 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 22, 2009 8:09 am

Appa23 wrote:See, I would say that the hallmark of a true expert is actually knowing the answer, so you do not have to waste your last lifeline on the question.
Hey, I agree with you that "Ask The Expert" is a bullsh*t lifeline, because whatever any of these individuals is (genuinely or allegedly) an expert in is rarely the subject of the question being asked. If the contest could choose from a list of possible experts, the lifeline's name would make sense, but TPTB would never be able to get such a group to commit to such an open-ended, conditional availability.

And I agree with the comment you deleted that the Denver boot was a common-knowledge thing and Ogi didn't remember it. I was in the audience that day and I remembered it. Let's get rid of the ATE and ask a volunteer from the audience.

But everyone--even you, I dare say--blanks out an "easy" question now and then. It was obvious Ogi had heard this term before, but he couldn't quite retrieve it. What differentiates him from the celebrity experts in this situation is how he can still tease out whatever clues he can on the question, including having a dialog with the contestant to see what she knows and compare notes. If nothing else, he stayed on the line for a long time, for someone who didn't know, which gave Venida more thinking time before TDC started back up.

Get rid of the Ask The Expert lifeline and bring back Switch The Question! I'm all for that! But as long as TPTB keep the ATE, who would you say has been more consistently helpful in the job?

And, Fanny, please cite one example where I've cast aspersions on the ancestors of someone I don't like.

Appa23

#31 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:See, I would say that the hallmark of a true expert is actually knowing the answer, so you do not have to waste your last lifeline on the question.
But everyone--even you, I dare say--blanks out an "easy" question now and then.
For proof, see my stack, $4000 and $64,000 questions. :evil:

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#32 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Fri May 22, 2009 10:17 am

frogman042 wrote:Clem, a couple of questions about Venida, if you don't mind.

First, was she a last minute fill-in - was that why she had no PAFs? Also, based on her personality I would venture that she had some real interesting stories to share in the green room. Am I right and if so, anything that can be shared?

Finally, this goes out to the bored - is this the first case with the clock running out on a contestant while still searching for the answer? All other cases the person seems to have decided not to answer and let the time run out - she seemed to be still working through it when time expired and I don't recall seeing that with anyone else previously (although I haven't seen every episode, but a lot). I think this might be the first time the clock actually eliminated someone who was trying to answer it (not to say that this is the first time the clock had an effect). Also, even though she didn't have an actual PAF could she have said I want to PAF and stopped the clock, Meredith would then have to explain that she has no PAFs lined-up and restart the clock and therefore buy a few extra seconds? I think that not having any PAFs, this would give her a bit of a lifeline and still be within the rules - not letting her even say PAF struck me as unfair. Any thoughts on this?

---Jay
I agree. It would only be fair to give her another 30 seconds since there's no law that you actually have to say anything to your PAF at all (I don't think).

I didn't see the show but, just from reading the question, I would think that this is the type of question that might be tough for a paf depending on if the player can convincingly read it as written. The only thing that makes it stand out as an "easy" question to me is knowing which one of those books had the title character speaking in that dialect. Which, it looks like from the comments, is what she was working on narrowing down when she ran out of clock. In that case, the 30 extra "PAF seconds" would have probably at least let her eliminate Moby Dick.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#33 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:And, Fanny, please cite one example where I've cast aspersions on the ancestors of someone I don't like.
I'm sorry, Marley, I was using hyperbole taken to unbelievable extremes for the sake of humour (sort of like 'Detroit hasn't even won a game since Mickey Lolich was on the team'). I thought that putting Longshanks in there for a little inside Board Fun would have made that obvious.

But look, I truncated your pyramid to make it up to you!

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#34 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Fri May 22, 2009 10:27 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote: Him who? Ogi? Or Longshanks?
Longshanks, but probably Ogi too.
I had to look up which King Edward he was. Longshanks was Edward I... not his son, Edward II, the one who had the hot rod up the arse. But you're related to him, too.
Given that Bob claims his lineage through Isabella of France, he's probably not related to either one of them. Except in the sense that by this point in time everybody, with the possible exception of Pygmies in the bush, is pretty much related to everybody else.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#35 Post by frogman042 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:00 am

Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
But everyone--even you, I dare say--blanks out an "easy" question now and then.
Is there a list with links to the various BB's stacks - Appa, do you have a link to yours?

MarleysGh0st

#36 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 22, 2009 11:06 am

frogman042 wrote:Is there a list with links to the various BB's stacks - Appa, do you have a link to yours?
We lost most of our old transcripts when our old Bored on Go.com got shut down. Macrae has copies of some archived on his site, but I can't find Appa's there.

http://millifeline.homestead.com/syndibam1.html

I believe mikehardware has a spreadsheet with lots of SyndieBAM questions. Maybe has Appa's stack in that.

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#37 Post by AlphaDummy » Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 am

frogman042 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: But everyone--even you, I dare say--blanks out an "easy" question now and then.
Is there a list with links to the various BB's stacks - Appa, do you have a link to yours?
Lifted from 15QA's archive:

$100 - Question 1
In the nursery rhyme "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep", the sheep is asked if he has any what?
A: Milk
B: Wool
C: Food
D: Single friends

$200 - Question 2
"Fireplug" is another word for which of the following?
A: Fire hydrant
B: Fire extinguisher
C: Firewood
D: Fireman

$300 - Question 3
A person who is told "use your gray matter" is being instructed to do what?
A: Exercise
B: Sleep
C: Think
D: Eat

$500 - Question 4
What popular TV series features a group of students known as the "Sweathogs"?
A: Happy Days
B: The Facts of Life
C: The White Shadow
D: Welcome Back, Kotter

$1,000 - Question 5
According to its slogan, the New York Times provides "All the News That's Fit to" what?
A: Print
B: Read
C: Appear
D: Know

$2,000 - Question 6
In 1981, what candy brand introduced a blueberry flavor in honor of Ronald Reagan's inauguration?
A: Dots
B: Jelly Belly
C: Starburst
D: Twizzles

$4,000 - Question 7
"Isn't it rich, are we a pair?" is the opening line of what popular show tune?
A: Send in the Clowns
B: The Music of the Night
C: What I Did for Love
D: All That Jazz

$8,000 - Question 8
If it is 4 pm in Boston, Massachusetts, what time is it in Anchorage, Alaska?
A: 9:00 a
B: 10:00 a
C: 11:00 a
D: Noon

Tom uses the Ask the Audience lifeline.
Audience poll: A-6% B-17% C-21% D-56%

$16,000 - Question 9
Revolutionary Leon Trotsky was banished from the USSR in 1929 for opposing what sitting leader?
A: Nicholas II
B: Vladimir Lenin
C: Joseph Stalin
D: Nikita Khrushchev

$32,000 - Question 10
What 1970s rocker and his wife penned a 2002 cookbook "Kill It & Grill It"?
A: Gene Simmons
B: Ted Nugent
C: Alice Cooper
D: Iggy Pop

$64,000 - Question 11
Oleoresin capsicum is an active ingredient in which of the following?
A: Smelling salts
B: Pepper spray
C: Shoe polish
D: Lip balm

Tom uses the 50:50 lifeline.
Choices A and B remain.

$125,000 - Question 12
What is the architectural term for the part of the church where the congregation usually sits?
A: Nave
B: Ambulatory
C: Transept
D: Apse

Tuesday, April 29, 2003
Tom is contestant number 1.

$250,000 - Question 13
What Bob Hope movie introduced his signature song, “Thanks for the Memory”?
A: Road to Singapore
B: The Lemon Drop Kid
C: My Favorite Brunette
D: The Big Broadcast of 1938

Tom uses the Phone a Friend lifeline.

Tom walks away and leaves with $125,000.

Answers:
$100: B. Wool
$200: A. Fire hydrant
$300: C. Think
$500: D. Welcome Back, Kotter
$1,000: A. Print
$2,000: B. Jelly Belly
$4,000: A. Send in the Clowns
$8,000: D. Noon
$16,000: C. Joseph Stalin
$32,000: B. Ted Nugent
$64,000: B. Pepper spray
$125,000: A. Nave
$250,000: D. The Big Broadcast of 1938
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

lv42day

#38 Post by lv42day » Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 am

Does anyone know which expert has given the most correct answers, or has the highest percentage of correct answers? I don't know, but I would guess it would be either Bill Nye or KJ.

Appa23

#39 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks AD for letting me re-live the horror that was my performance.

Looking back, I played the game as if the clock was there. If I had taken a minute, I owuld have deduced the answer to both questions where I used a LL before the final question. (In fact, I did immediately flash on the answer to the $64,000 after I blurted out the request for the 50-50. As they let me know, there is no "takesy-backsys". :oops:

Oh well, short of a time machine, there is nothing that I can do any more. ;)

If I had just wandered over here prior to my taping, who knows what might have been. <g>

tanstaafl2

#40 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:51 am

Another WE/WE, another miserable ho hum performance.

Shocking.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#41 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 22, 2009 12:18 pm

lv42day wrote:Does anyone know which expert has given the most correct answers, or has the highest percentage of correct answers? I don't know, but I would guess it would be either Bill Nye or KJ.
I don't think anyone has been keeping statistics on experts, but this would be comparing apples and oranges and glowing potatoes. Some experts have been on the show more often than others. Some have been asked much easier (or at least, lower value) questions than others. Some have offered multiple answers to a question (such as Ogi's own performance in this stack) with varying degrees of certainty. What are the standards for ruling an answer correct or not in these circumstances?

lv42day

#42 Post by lv42day » Fri May 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Yeah, I guess there are too many variables to easily compare and contrast experts.

15QuestionsAway

#43 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Sat May 23, 2009 4:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
lv42day wrote:Does anyone know which expert has given the most correct answers, or has the highest percentage of correct answers? I don't know, but I would guess it would be either Bill Nye or KJ.
I don't think anyone has been keeping statistics on experts, but this would be comparing apples and oranges and glowing potatoes. Some experts have been on the show more often than others. Some have been asked much easier (or at least, lower value) questions than others. Some have offered multiple answers to a question (such as Ogi's own performance in this stack) with varying degrees of certainty. What are the standards for ruling an answer correct or not in these circumstances?
You've explained pretty much why I haven't tried to keep statistics about this - there's way too much judgment involved. TheConfessor and I posted about this early in the season.

I'm almost certain that Ogi has had the most performances as the expert - that's a lot easier to track. In all likelihood, I'll post those statistics on my site at the end of the season.
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

doitneatly

#44 Post by doitneatly » Sat May 23, 2009 8:11 pm

frogman042 wrote: Finally, this goes out to the bored - is this the first case with the clock running out on a contestant while still searching for the answer? All other cases the person seems to have decided not to answer and let the time run out - she seemed to be still working through it when time expired and I don't recall seeing that with anyone else previously (although I haven't seen every episode, but a lot). I think this might be the first time the clock actually eliminated someone who was trying to answer it (not to say that this is the first time the clock had an effect). Also, even though she didn't have an actual PAF could she have said I want to PAF and stopped the clock, Meredith would then have to explain that she has no PAFs lined-up and restart the clock and therefore buy a few extra seconds? I think that not having any PAFs, this would give her a bit of a lifeline and still be within the rules - not letting her even say PAF struck me as unfair. Any thoughts on this?

---Jay
I also haven't seen this before, i.e. the clock actually interrupting a person as they work their way to the answer.

The transcript didn't catch this, but listening to her post-buzzer comments we can hear that she did end up deciding on the right answer, just 5 seconds too late. :-(
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

takinover

#45 Post by takinover » Sun May 24, 2009 3:03 pm

$8,000 * No Parking
Named after one of the first cities to use it, the clamping device that immobilizes illegally parked cars is called a what?

A: Denver boot B: Miami boot
C: Chicago boot D: St. Louis boot
I could have sworn that this was asked before on WWTBAM. Maybe in a different form like "What is a Denver boot for?" or something of that nature. I will search and see.

takinover

#46 Post by takinover » Sun May 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Found it. I knew it was asked at a much lower level also. Pays to watch the show.
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - 01/31/2003

Tim Dreher
Omaha, NE
Stockbroker

$300 Used by the police to immobilize vehicles, a Denver boot locks onto what part of a car?
A. Exhaust pipe B. Windshield
C. Steering wheel D. Wheel

takinover

#47 Post by takinover » Sun May 24, 2009 3:24 pm

frogman042 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: But everyone--even you, I dare say--blanks out an "easy" question now and then.
To see Appa's show click here

I would like to find a new site that allows for full screen viewing. I have been too busy/too lazy so I have not been keeping up.

ten96lt

#48 Post by ten96lt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:41 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Venida Evans
New York, NY
Semi-retired actor (sic)

Venida has now earned her Ask The Expert lifeline. Today's expert is $500,000 winner (and Bored Buddy) Ogi Ogas.
A little too late for our Joey. Either the CNBC guy couldn't hang out for a whole taping day or they sent him to the showers like an ineffective pitcher.
Yeah, if Joey had gone a few more minutes before using his ATE on his first episode, he'd have gotten Ogi instead of Jim Cramer. I'm sure Ogi would have known the inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency!
jacorbett70 wrote:
Meredith: And I want to explain to the audience that you did not have a Phone A Friend. There was nobody you thought that was able to play the game for you, today, so that's why she didn't use that, audience.
Or perhaps she was like one of the llama contestants from the first season whose PAFs all bailed out and went into the game with no PAFs for that reason. That contestant had BB PAF(s) including Peter5858 the second time around.
That's possible. Again, the APs might have given her a list of a couple reliable BBs who've appeared on their PAF lists time and time again and suggested, "Would you like us to see if they're available?"

The explanation in the transcript is all that Meredith said to the studio audience. If there's more to the story, we didn't hear it.
I know this is 2 months after but still wanna comment. She directed it to the audience because there was a LOT of chatter going on between people in the audience about that she had a lifeline and I remember one person saying in a loud whisper, PHONE A FRIEND! So I think even Merideth heard the chatter and wanted to clear it with the audience which surprised me because during the taping I thought that comment was made during the commercial break. I think what they should have done was ask 3 audience members if they'd be willing to be a PAF before the show and keep them backstage for her because I didn't find that fair for her to be short a lifeline.

MarleysGh0st

#49 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 pm

ten96lt wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:
A little too late for our Joey. Either the CNBC guy couldn't hang out for a whole taping day or they sent him to the showers like an ineffective pitcher.
Yeah, if Joey had gone a few more minutes before using his ATE on his first episode, he'd have gotten Ogi instead of Jim Cramer. I'm sure Ogi would have known the inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency!
jacorbett70 wrote:
Or perhaps she was like one of the llama contestants from the first season whose PAFs all bailed out and went into the game with no PAFs for that reason. That contestant had BB PAF(s) including Peter5858 the second time around.
That's possible. Again, the APs might have given her a list of a couple reliable BBs who've appeared on their PAF lists time and time again and suggested, "Would you like us to see if they're available?"

The explanation in the transcript is all that Meredith said to the studio audience. If there's more to the story, we didn't hear it.
I know this is 2 months after but still wanna comment. She directed it to the audience because there was a LOT of chatter going on between people in the audience about that she had a lifeline and I remember one person saying in a loud whisper, PHONE A FRIEND! So I think even Merideth heard the chatter and wanted to clear it with the audience which surprised me because during the taping I thought that comment was made during the commercial break. I think what they should have done was ask 3 audience members if they'd be willing to be a PAF before the show and keep them backstage for her because I didn't find that fair for her to be short a lifeline.
Were you in the audience for this taping last October, ten96lt? So was I!

ten96lt

#50 Post by ten96lt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ten96lt wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Were you in the audience for this taping last October, ten96lt? So was I!
Ya, I was behind Merideth about 3rd from the top. I don't know where you were, but I just remember a lot of people near me wondering why she didn't phone a friend. Was there any chatter about this by you?