PT-WWTBAM Transcript 08/10/09 Gary Cousins

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Re: PT-WWTBAM Transcript 08/10/09 Gary Cousins

#26 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Lackadaisical Stumblebum wrote:If an auditioner burned through his lifelines and walked with 4k, he'd be pilloried 'til hell wouldn't have him. But, since he's a phone game contestant, he gets a pass.
He doesn't get a pass from me. I have a hard time understanding why a smart person who has been obsessed with the show for ten years, who has a good job and no apparent dire money issues, and who will never again have this chance to use his brainpower and potentially change his whole life in front of a national TV audience, wouldn't be willing to take a little risk to continue his dream instead of walking away with just 4000 bucks. I don't care how he or anyone else got on the show. That was just lame. After all, the show is called "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" This guy didn't want it very much. But I hope he enjoys the extra $3K he wasn't willing to invest in himself.

And no, I didn't know the answer. I thought I'd seen almost every Seinfeld episode, but I didn't remember this one.

Appa23

#27 Post by Appa23 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:02 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Lackadaisical Stumblebum wrote:If an auditioner burned through his lifelines and walked with 4k, he'd be pilloried 'til hell wouldn't have him. But, since he's a phone game contestant, he gets a pass.
He doesn't get a pass from me. I have a hard time understanding why a smart person who has been obsessed with the show for ten years, who has a good job and no apparent dire money issues, and who will never again have this chance to use his brainpower and potentially change his whole life in front of a national TV audience, wouldn't be willing to take a little risk to continue his dream instead of walking away with just 4000 bucks. I don't care how he or anyone else got on the show. That was just lame. After all, the show is called "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" This guy didn't want it very much. But I hope he enjoys the extra $3K he wasn't willing to invest in himself.

And no, I didn't know the answer. I thought I'd seen almost every Seinfeld episode, but I didn't remember this one.
If I said that it was the "Assman" show, do you remember now?

TheConfessor

#28 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Appa23 wrote:If I said that it was the "Assman" show, do you remember now?
Vaguely, but that wouldn't help me know the type of pasta.

VAdame

#29 Post by VAdame » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:31 pm

BigDrawMan wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Was the "Fusilli Jerry" really that difficult to recall? I said fusilli even before the choices came up. But maybe that's just me.

Nihil obstat®

It is hard if you dint see it

I musta missed that one
Well, yeah -- I guess it would involve actually watching Seinfeld. I tried. Once.

(Hated It!) [/Blaine Edwards/Antoine Meriweather]

But Googlable -- "Pasta Jerry" and it comes right up.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#30 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BigDrawMan wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Was the "Fusilli Jerry" really that difficult to recall? I said fusilli even before the choices came up. But maybe that's just me.

Nihil obstat®

It is hard if you dint see it

I musta missed that one
Even with a picture, it's hard to identify the pasta.

We don't know "Fusilli Jerry" from seeing it. They mentioned "Fusilli Jerry" about 394 times during the "Fusilli Jerry" episode, which some refer to as the "Assman" episode. I couldn't tell you what fusilli looks like, but I know the "Fusilli Jerry" episode. Kramer pronounced it as fusilly, not fuseely, as Regis (probably correctly) did.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

hbomb1947

#31 Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

TheConfessor wrote:

He doesn't get a pass from me for walking at 4K, either. But the "burning through his lifelines" was, to a large extent, a product of difficult low-level questions (the split by a very smart audience on a mis-valued $2,000 question was the reason he needed to blow two lifelines on that question; and as I have stated, the Seinfeld question was also drastically undervalued). At least he left with more money than Brad Abbey . . .

ten96lt

#32 Post by ten96lt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

I have watched Seinfeld before, but only a few (including the Soup Nazi) so I had no idea on that question.

hanzz

#33 Post by hanzz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Hmm, I wonder if "to pull a Brad Abbey" is going to be the phrase now for when the show is building momentum, all hyped up, we're on a role, everyone's excited, and then...

buzzkill.

(Me? Still venting over the selection of that guy? Nonsense....)
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#34 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:37 pm

TheConfessor wrote:

I've only watched Seinfeld sporadically so I had no idea. ATA for sure.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#35 Post by clem21 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:01 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:

Why watch Seinfeld when you can watch Scrubs?

Scrubs tells you everything you need for WWTBAM syndicated or primetime...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

Estonut
Evil Genius

#36 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 pm

clem21 wrote:Scrubs tells you everything you need for WWTBAM syndicated or primetime...
Scrubs has never mentioned "Fusilli Jerry"...

Nor "Water Lilies" nor "Captcha," for that matter...
Groucho Marx

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#37 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 pm

clem21 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: He doesn't get a pass from me. I have a hard time understanding why a smart person who has been obsessed with the show for ten years, who has a good job and no apparent dire money issues, and who will never again have this chance to use his brainpower and potentially change his whole life in front of a national TV audience, wouldn't be willing to take a little risk to continue his dream instead of walking away with just 4000 bucks. I don't care how he or anyone else got on the show. That was just lame. After all, the show is called "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" This guy didn't want it very much. But I hope he enjoys the extra $3K he wasn't willing to invest in himself.

Why watch Seinfeld when you can watch Scrubs?

Scrubs tells you everything you need for WWTBAM syndicated or primetime...

I don't watch any sitcoms. History/Discovery, sports and movies, that's about it.

Lackadaisical Stumblebum
Merry Man

#38 Post by Lackadaisical Stumblebum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:08 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:

He doesn't get a pass from me for walking at 4K, either. But the "burning through his lifelines" was, to a large extent, a product of difficult low-level questions (the split by a very smart audience on a mis-valued $2,000 question was the reason he needed to blow two lifelines on that question; and as I have stated, the Seinfeld question was also drastically undervalued). At least he left with more money than Brad Abbey . . .
That's what was most puzzling to me as well. I can see if you just walk down to the studios to audition or see the phone game info and call in on a lark, but if you've been trying for ten years to get on the show, why end your big shot over probably less than $2,000 after taxes?? The drop from 16k I can understand, 15k is an awful lot of money to somebody like me and, even if people chided me for it, I would make no excuses for stopping there.

I've maybe seen three or four Seinfeld episodes, but I've never heard of this one. Hopefully the ATA would have gotten it for me, otherwise I probably would have decided fusilli makes the most sense since it can be sort of interlocking. Would I have been able to reason that out confidently enough in 30 seconds or whatever you get? Probably not.
Sharing smokes and a cup of joe with my friend, Insouciant Ruffian. Good times!

clem21
Nose Exploder

#39 Post by clem21 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Estonut wrote:
clem21 wrote:Scrubs tells you everything you need for WWTBAM syndicated or primetime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf0f-jg7 ... re=related
-Charles Bukowski

Estonut
Evil Genius

#40 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm

clem21 wrote:
Estonut wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf0f-jg7 ... re=related
Sorry, wrong kind of nerds...
Groucho Marx

Lackadaisical Stumblebum
Merry Man

#41 Post by Lackadaisical Stumblebum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:20 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Your previous response in this thread sure sounded like an overall pass.
That is just silly. Yeah, it was necessary to go to auditions to choose such awesome contestants as Brad Abbey (what a scintillating on-air personality he had) and Michelle Ribeiro. The result of Gary's appearance was as much a result of a syndibam-level stack as anything else
Michelle Ribeiro made it to 25k before she walked on questions that I found more difficult than these. Yet you knock her for getting there by auditioning while making an excuse for this guy. Why?

And I'm not down with the "he wuz jacked by the question writers". Up until the last one, they all seemed quite reasonable. And although I didn't know that one, it was still reasonable, a question about what is apparently a quite famous episode from a sitcom that was a cultural phenomenon.

A "very smart" audience doesn't come down to an almost four way split on knowing who did the apple with a bowler hat picture. I don't care if it was mis-valued, 2k or 25k, that's a pretty basic art question. Even if they weren't sure, a 'very smart' audience could have probably figured out that Warhol wasn't nearly that old, Duchamp would have put a worm in the apple and Dali's apple and hat would come out looking like a washstand and a moccasin.
Sharing smokes and a cup of joe with my friend, Insouciant Ruffian. Good times!

clem21
Nose Exploder

#42 Post by clem21 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:37 pm

hanzz wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:This contestant is the argument for why TPTB went away from TPG to auditions -- zero on-air personality and he walked with $4k, after using all of his lifelines. People start channel-surfing very quickly with such contestants. (Let me say that I am sure that Gary is a very nice guy in real life.)
That is just silly. Yeah, it was necessary to go to auditions to choose such awesome contestants as Brad Abbey (what a scintillating on-air personality he had).
I still can't get over that they probably viewed our tapes side by side and picked him.

Forgive me for continuing to harp on this.
Can I take a shot at this?

Maybe...and I'm just speculating here...she was better than you?

Just throwin' it out there...
-Charles Bukowski

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#43 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:45 pm

clem21 wrote:
hanzz wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
That is just silly. Yeah, it was necessary to go to auditions to choose such awesome contestants as Brad Abbey (what a scintillating on-air personality he had).
I still can't get over that they probably viewed our tapes side by side and picked him.

LOL.

hanzz

#44 Post by hanzz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
clem21 wrote:
hanzz wrote:

LOL.
Perhaps, perhaps, I have been told that I do tend to suck at times.

But things are always rosier on the other side of having been in the hot seat. :wink:
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

ghostjmf

#45 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 pm

4K: I unfortunately (well, fortunately, here) know Sarah Palin's husband's name.

8K: But I know very little about Seinfeld episodes, beyond what the media covering them shoved down my throat, & I never heard of this one. ATA, but it didn't do Cousins much good, did it? Probably have to PAF a Googler as well.