Great Sportsmanship

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
starfish1113

#26 Post by starfish1113 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:50 am

peacock2121 wrote:
starfish1113 wrote:I saw the video on the plane this morning. How pathetic am I? I'm sitting there trying to avoid having tears roll down my cheeks (I succeeded, barely). I'm a sucker for these types of stories.

Oh, I don't know if Ap-pathetic brought this up, but the reason I don't think this would happen in a baseball game is that I doubt men (me included) would have helped an injured player on the opposing team. My first thought (at least before this story) would have been "If he doesn't touch home plate, he doesn't score!). I suspect that would be the reaction of many baseball players.

And HD's idea that there is no way it could happen in a baseball game because a man would get up and hop around the bases before letting the opposing team carry him around is as sad and erroneous as his statement a few years ago that he would never, ever, ever, NEVER miss a pre-1K question on BAM.
fishie!

fishie!

fishie!
I was just paying tribute to the man's take on Estonut's name! Oops, I forgot the :D?

peacock2121

#27 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:54 am

starfish1113 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
starfish1113 wrote:I saw the video on the plane this morning. How pathetic am I? I'm sitting there trying to avoid having tears roll down my cheeks (I succeeded, barely). I'm a sucker for these types of stories.

Oh, I don't know if Ap-pathetic brought this up, but the reason I don't think this would happen in a baseball game is that I doubt men (me included) would have helped an injured player on the opposing team. My first thought (at least before this story) would have been "If he doesn't touch home plate, he doesn't score!). I suspect that would be the reaction of many baseball players.

And HD's idea that there is no way it could happen in a baseball game because a man would get up and hop around the bases before letting the opposing team carry him around is as sad and erroneous as his statement a few years ago that he would never, ever, ever, NEVER miss a pre-1K question on BAM.
fishie!

fishie!

fishie!
I was just paying tribute to the man's take on Estonut's name! Oops, I forgot the :D?
You did a much better tribute than he did.

Craig Paquette
Merry Man

#28 Post by Craig Paquette » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 am

I still need one homerun to get 100 on my career. I'd like to think somebody would be kind enough to help me around the bases should that happen to me.

And if the outfielders wanted to juggle the ball until it "accidentally" went over the wall for me, I wouldn't be upset either....

CP21

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#29 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 05, 2008 10:59 am

starfish1113 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:

fishie!

fishie!

fishie!
fishie, you rock!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#30 Post by kayrharris » Mon May 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Mike Tirico talked about this on his radio show today. He said he thought anyone who had a child in sports should show them the video clip from ESPN. He mentioned how he had read about it and basically thought it was a nice story, but really didn't think all that much about it.

Only after he saw he saw the video showing the actual players involved and listening to them tell how it happened did he realize the impact this story really has.

The guy at ESPN who does these type stories is one of the best. Graham Hays is credited with the story on ESPN.com so maybe that's who it is.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#31 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Softball didn't go so hot tonight. We played a bunch of kids who most all can hit and run. I walked one and struck out one, so by Skoop's calculations, I was two ahead.

In the last inning, our right fielder misjudged a long fly and caught it with both her gloved and ungloved hands, sending her to the first aid department because it tore off some skin and nail. The softball PTB don't like the players bleeding on the outfield. Or the infield. Or the dugout, for that matter.

When we got last bats, one of our runners got beaned by a hot throw to third. It knocked her earring out of her ear and her to a nice comfy seat on third base where she sat until the little birdies quit chirping around her head. Then she got a free walk home because after the ball hit her, it rolled into the dugout for an extra base.

An opponent found the earring after the game.

Final score 16 to 6. Not horrific, but not so hot.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller