The snake of the day

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 am

Snakes don't usually bother me much, but walking into my kitchen and seeing a FOUR AND A FREAKIN' HALF footer would make me pee myself. How did Annie and Lizbet react to the visitor?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#27 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:23 am

Holy shit. I mean, really. Holy shit.

That is a large snake. And bold. I hope there aren't babies about. Pretend I didn't say that.

I mean, I've killed copperheads before. Snakes don't generally creep me out, but my rear clenched reading your posts.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#28 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:35 am

I was googling the king snake and all, and they do rattle their tales to mimic rattlers. They also eat other snakes (like copperheads). Pretend I didn't say that.
Well, then

a1mamacat

#29 Post by a1mamacat » Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 am

O Uday, you have the most visual way with words.

I had to join Pea in the laughing corner.

Not at the situation, but at the narrative.

Thank you for the moment!!! :lol:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#30 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 am

Here's an encouraging question. Do you have any college kids in your building or neighborhood? King snakes are kept as pets. Maybe it was an escaped pet.
Well, then

peacock2121

#31 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 am

Beebs52 wrote:Holy shit. I mean, really. Holy shit.

That is a large snake. And bold. I hope there aren't babies about. Pretend I didn't say that.

I mean, I've killed copperheads before. Snakes don't generally creep me out, but my rear clenched reading your posts.
Made me laugh all over again!

peacock2121

#32 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 am

I am a bad friend.

I need a time-out.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#33 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Holy shit. I mean, really. Holy shit.

Made me laugh all over again!
I will credit the snake for my finer toned buttocks.
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#34 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 07, 2008 10:19 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Beyotch.

I'm awake now, after not getting to sleep until about 3:30 a.m. I'm walking around this morning with a flashlight, looking under everything and opening every cabinet and door from as far away as my arms will allow, prepared to slam it shut again in an instant.

I am glad the adventure is over, or Adventure, Part I, if it comes to that. The whole thing really was kind of funny in a surreal sort of way, and the police officers were great. (When did cops all become so young and adorable?) Not only did they ask my permission to get rid of the snake in the way the snake was dispatched, but they apologized for the minimal mess that resulted and cleaned up 90 percent of it. When it was all over, they clearly were so proud of themselves for having dealt with the situation so competently, despite having no previous snake experience or training. (Last year, the next town down the road experienced a tragedy involving the police and snakes, and a couple of guarded comments revealed that this had entered their minds.)

Here's how the dogs reacted. Annie refused to go outside, but she remained calm on the living room floor while she watched the action. She also scored some affection from the officers, so she's probably a uniform groupie by now. I got Lizbit out, since she's "a helper," but she watched everything with great interest through the sliding glass door. When I finally un-revved enough to think I might sleep, Lizbit didn't want to join Annie and me, but spent the night on the floor in guard-dog mode.

I called the exterminator and canceled the morning visit -- or postponed it until and unless there is any hint of additional unwanted visitation. Since the sky has been dumping torrential rain since the middle of last night, he seemed rather relieved.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#35 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am

Are the snakes gone? I hate snakes!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#36 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:54 am

I will credit the snake for my finer toned buttocks.

Sallah: Indy, why does the floor move?
Indiana: Give me your torch.
[Sallah does, and Indy drops it in]
Indiana: Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
Sallah: Asps. Very dangerous. You go first.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#37 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed May 07, 2008 11:08 am

I'm thinking snakes are sensitive to vibration, so some vigorous Irish dancing would probably send it slithering for the hills,

unless he was a fan!!!!!!!!!

small chuckle, I misspelled vigorous and the spell checker suggest viperous as possible option.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#38 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I'm thinking snakes are sensitive to vibration, so some vigorous Irish dancing would probably send it slithering for the hills,

unless he was a fan!!!!!!!!!

small chuckle, I misspelled vigorous and the spell checker suggest viperous as possible option.
I must say, we are a fine bunch of backhanded snake snarking friends.
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#39 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 07, 2008 1:24 pm

Lizbit made my heart stop.

About two minutes ago, I rounded the corner and spotted Lizbit trotting happily across the living room with a long, thin, wriggly something dangling from her mouth.

It was her rope leash.

I've calmed down, and my heartrate is still at about 700 beats per minute.

MarleysGh0st

#40 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Lizbit made my heart stop.

About two minutes ago, I rounded the corner and spotted Lizbit trotting happily across the living room with a long, thin, wriggly something dangling from her mouth.

It was her rope leash.

I've calmed down, and my heartrate is still at about 700 beats per minute.
"See, Mommy? I could have handled that snake if you had just let me help!"

:lol:

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:54 pm

earendel wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:Can't we just all get along?
Oops. Too late.

The snake reappeared -- in my kitchen! On the windowsill! Creepy crawling through the miniblinds! I called the police again. One policeman arrived (a different one than was here earlier) who looked at the snake and promptly got on his radio to ask for backup and animal control. Animal control was paged, but as far as any of us can tell, the page won't be answered until somebody wakes up in the morning. With two officers, the big stick, the shovel, the broom and dustpan, my sharpest chef's knife, a garbage bag, and about 45 minutes of serpent-wrangling, the snake was pinned down, lobotomized, beheaded, and slipped into a garbage bag for transport to the Big Snake Rendezvous in the Sky.

He turned out to be about 4 to 4-1/2 feet long, with or without his former head. He had attitude. He shall not be missed.

I don't know how or when he got from the office to the kitchen. If there turn out to be two snakes, I'm moving.

To Antarctica. I've heard that the snake population there is relatively low.
Ireland might be a better choice - after all, St. Patrick expelled all the snakes from the Emerald Isle.
SC --

I am ROTFLMAO. Not from the tale itself -- snakes creep me out beyond reason -- but from the telling.

One of my alltime favorite greeting cards has a older, bearded gentleman with a mitre in the front seat of a vintage late 1950s car -- loike a DeSoto. The backseat is filled with reptiles.

Open the card and the caption is "St. Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland."

In this case, Irish dancer and young cops drive snake out of Norman kitchen.

And, yeah, when did cops become young and cute?

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#42 Post by kayrharris » Wed May 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Maybe Lizbit got her dates mixed up and thought it was Lirpa Loof.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#43 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 07, 2008 2:04 pm

You guys crack me up. Your comments -- Ed's movie quote, BB's buns, Melly's St. Patrick's card, Kay's Lirpa Loof, Pea's and Saucy's unsuccessful attempts to keep straight faces, the evil spell-checker of tmitsss, Uly's rapidly changing avatars, and many others -- have made me laugh so much that I'm almost glad the damn snake came to visit. Almost.

You guys will be the first ones to get the news when an asteroid crashes through my roof. We'll have a great old time that night.

:D

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#44 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:17 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I am glad that the snake is no longer at your house.

Snakes don't bother me, it's rats, squirrels and clowns that bother me.
See, the saving grace about the clown thing is, and they REALLY creep me out, too, is that it would be difficult for them to slither along the windowsill. Behind the miniblinds. So you'd at least be able to see them coming.

Unless they were eensy weensy.

That's creepy.

SC-perhaps you need resident snakes only to ward off the clowns.

You may have made a mistake.
Well, then

MarleysGh0st

#45 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 pm

silvercamaro wrote: You guys will be the first ones to get the news when an asteroid crashes through my roof. We'll have a great old time that night.

:D
Hey, if the world's coming to an end, we might as well have a party! (Or do you mean just a teensy, little asteroid?)

And notice how nobody has expressed the least bit of sympathy for the only real victim of violence last night--that poor, innocent, non-poisonous snake!

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#46 Post by cindy.wellman » Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Perhaps Momma Snake went into the kitchen to look for food for her babies. I wouldn't doubt it, knowing the legend of the wonderful cooking o' SC!

:twisted:

tlynn78

#47 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:44 pm

You guys will be the first ones to get the news when an asteroid crashes through my roof. We'll have a great old time that night.

lol - we're here for you, sister!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#48 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:09 pm

Hey, whatever happened to snape of the day?

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#49 Post by kayrharris » Wed May 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
See, the saving grace about the clown thing is, and they REALLY creep me out, too, is that it would be difficult for them to slither along the windowsill. Behind the miniblinds. So you'd at least be able to see them coming.

Unless they were eensy weensy.

That's creepy.

SC-perhaps you need resident snakes only to ward off the clowns.

You may have made a mistake.

My little 11 year old granddaughter, McCall, hates clowns! I mean, she hates them. Always has. Her explanation....she "doesn't like people dressed up." For the same reason, she has never had her photo taken with Santa. She feels the same way about school mascots no matter what form they may take on...animal, person or otherwise. I thought she might outgrow it, but so far she hasn't.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#50 Post by Evil Squirrel » Wed May 07, 2008 9:46 pm

I believe the NSAS extends their protection to our slithering reptilian friends as well....

Just keep him out of my tree, please....