Bad Karma

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
traininvain

Bad Karma

#1 Post by traininvain » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:30 am

I mentioned a few weeks ago how my cat had scratched a neighbor’s dog, and the dog's owner wanted me to pay the $100 vet bill, well I guess karma has gotten a hold of me.

About a week ago my cat 'disappeared' for a day and a half, I wasn't too worried, but still him not showing up 2 nights in a row was strange. he finally showed up Sunday night and of course the whole family was very happy. I didn't think too much of it at first but he went straight down to the basement without eating or drinking anything. About a half hour later I went looking for him and found him sitting on the basement carpet. Gave him a little scratch around the ears and noticed that there was some blood on his neck, right under the ear. Then noticed that the whole side of his face was all swollen. Did a mad scramble to find a animal hospital that was open on a Sunday night and took him in. They told me when I called that it would be $100 just to come in because it's after hours etc. I get him in there and the shave the area and he has a huge abscess under his ear. Then the vet starts asking me when his last vaccination was, how old he is, etc. Now this cat is 15 years old and hasn't been to the vet in at least 10 years. He's always been the one to freak out whenever I tried to take him to the vet or even just try and give him a flea bath. Anyway the vet then tells me that he'll have to have a rabies test and if the cat bites anyone there they would have to put him to sleep right away according to NYS law... Then he tells me that I'm looking at about a $1000 bill all told in the end, I was in stunned disbelief. All while this is going on, my wife is on her way back from Maryland from a truck show featuring some of her jewelry, and I'm supposed to pick her up at the airport in about 45 minutes. And no, I can't leave the cat there and come back, someone has to authorize, sign the paperwork and leave a deposit, so I call my sister to see if she can come by and take care of all the paperwork and whatnot. So I leave and go to pick up my wife and of course I'm late and she's mad and then I tell her about the cat and the bill and she hits the roof.

Well anyway, the cat is home now and in pretty good shape. He's going up the wall because he can't leave the house and now he has to get used to using the litter box all over again. He also has half his head shaved and looks pretty funny. Oh, and I still have to get him vaccinated after he's all healed up.

So was it Bad Karma?
Enjoy every sandwich

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Bad Karma

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:38 am

traininvain wrote:
So was it Bad Karma?
No, just a cat who takes no guff.

I'm glad he is okay.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:59 am

I like your cat - feisty thing.

I like you.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:13 am

Look at it this way. You probably saved more than the $1000 over the last ten years by not going to the vet. So it's just catching up to you all at once. Sort of like human medical bills, which tend to increase as you get older ...

Glad he's okay, though. Looks a lot like the cat I had from high school through into early marriage.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 am

Not bad karma -- just an opportunity to store up some good karma, especially in the area of pet vibes.

You still have a ways to go to catch up to sc in that regard, though.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:52 am

Not bad karma, shit happens.

I usually pay $150 a year for immunizations/vet visits for each cat. Mutiply that over ten years and you are ahead by $500.

I do feel your pain though.

In April of 2006, I had a $2,000 vet bill month. Sebastian had what started as an abscess, but what turned out to be oral cancer and right after he died, Lily swallowed a needle and had to have her stomach opened.

My husband joked that cat replacement was a cheaper option, but didn't complain too much about the bill. According to Jeff, she has reached her "lifetime" vet allotment for emergencies. If anything happened to her, I will probably be deliberately disobedient and pay the bill.

Otto Censor
Merry Man

#7 Post by Otto Censor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:06 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Not bad karma, shit happens.
Watch that mouth, young lady! We've got plenty of room in Gitmo....

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:07 am

I will probably be deliberately disobedient

I SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you.

:roll: :lol:

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Dead Horse
Merry Man

#9 Post by Dead Horse » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:08 am

Otto Censor wrote:
I almost laughed out loud! Perfect combination of avatar and response.

Almost. I really don't find very much funny any more...
Enough Already

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#10 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:10 am

Dead Horse wrote:
Otto Censor wrote:
I almost laughed out loud! Perfect combination of avatar and response.

Almost. I really don't find very much funny any more...
When I was Otto on GO, my name was John Ashcroft, but only I could see that.

I personally find EVERYTHING to be funny these days. But I'm not dead. Yet...

The Spanish Inquisition
Merry Man

#11 Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:17 am

Otto Censor wrote:

And if that doesn't work--the Comfy Chair!
NObody expects me!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:57 pm

I'm glad the cat on the road to recovery. I'm glad you decided to let him get well. Like the others have said, you're still ahead moneywise.

I hope he gets back to his "old" self very soon.