Transcript 09/29/08 Patrick Pugh

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/29/08 Patrick Pugh

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Patrick Pugh
Laurel, DE
Police Officer

Patrick will be leaving the police force in two months to join the Peace Corps.

Topic Tree:

Famous Pets
Medals
Human Development
Supreme Court
The Middle East
Words
Writers
(Band Names)
(Historical Events)
(Sleep)
(Games)
(Famous Quotes)
(Horror Movies)
(Grammar)
(Holiday Traditions)

The Expert is introduced. She is half-million-dollar winner (and BB!) Lyn Payne.

$16,000 * Funny People
Which of these authors is best known as a humorist?

A: Frank McCourt B: David Sedaris
C: Mitch Albom D: David McCullough
Spoiler
B: David Sedaris ( 21 )
$25,000 * Italian
Derived from an old Italian word meaning "coloring," the technical term "coloratura" is used in what field?

A: Architecture B: Cooking
B: Dance D: Music
Spoiler
With 16 seconds left, Patrick Asks The Audience.

ATA: A: 39% B: 12% C: 12% D: 37%

With 6 seconds left, Patrick decides to use the Double Dip.

His first answer is A: Architecture.
His second answer is D: Music.
Spoiler
D: Music ( 2 )
$50,000 * The Middle East
How many emirates, or territories, comprise the Middle Eastern country known as the United Arab Emirates?
A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8
Spoiler
Patrick starts to try to name them and then uses his ATE with 16 seconds showing on the clock.

Lyn doesn't think there are as many as eight. Patrick asks her if she can name them. She lists Abu Dhabi, might be Qatar, Ras al Qaima (sp?), she agrees with Patrick's suggestion that Dubai is one as well. Lyn says that she wouldn't go with what she's saying but that her gut is telling her the answer is five.

Patrick decides to use his PAF with 14 seconds remaining.

His PAF team consists of:

John, an attorney, from Georgetown, DE
Brian from Middletown, DE
Patti-Ann from Philadelphia, PA

PAF – John

John says he doesn’t know. His best guess is seven.

Patrick makes six his final answer.
Patrick leaves with $25K

Spoiler
C. 7
commercial break

Answers:
$16K B: David Sedaris
$25K D: Music
$50K C. 7

Edited to add missing questions that were pre-empted by a news bulletin about the stock market.

slam

Re: Transcript 09/29/08 Patrick Pugh

#2 Post by slam » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patrick Pugh
$25,000 * Italian
Derived from an old Italian word meaning "coloring," the technical term "coloratura" is used in what field?

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Using ATA there was probably a reasonable thing to do given that it was unlikely to be useful any higher. Once he had used it and gotten the responses he did, using the DD was clearly the right decision. As obvious as that move seemed from where I was sitting, I still have to give Patrick kudos for actually doing so while in the Hot Seat (particularly with the new clock).

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 am

slam wrote:
$25,000 * Italian

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Using ATA there was probably a reasonable thing to do given that it was unlikely to be useful any higher. Once he had used it and gotten the responses he did, using the DD was clearly the right decision. As obvious as that move seemed from where I was sitting, I still have to give Patrick kudos for actually doing so while in the Hot Seat (particularly with the new clock).
Agreed! He took a few extra seconds to decide what lifeline to use after the ATA result, but it was a good, strategic choice. As for the ATA, the way I see it, about 75% of the audience was clueless, most of whom evenly split their WAGs but about 25% falling for the distractor that "coloring must mean architectural painting", with only 25% really knowing the right answer.

I just noticed one other thing. The topic list that pcmaxey has here says the $16K and $25K topics would be "Writers" and "Words", but I transcribed them as "Funny People" and "Italian". Did they change that list between his first and second episode?

pcmaxey

#4 Post by pcmaxey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:40 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: I just noticed one other thing. The topic list that pcmaxey has here says the $16K and $25K topics would be "Writers" and "Words", but I transcribed them as "Funny People" and "Italian". Did they change that list between his first and second episode?
Since the show was interrupted here, I copied the topic list from Friday's transcript.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:45 am

pcmaxey wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: I just noticed one other thing. The topic list that pcmaxey has here says the $16K and $25K topics would be "Writers" and "Words", but I transcribed them as "Funny People" and "Italian". Did they change that list between his first and second episode?
Since the show was interrupted here, I copied the topic list from Friday's transcript.
That's what I thought, but it still seems odd that they're changing the topics. (There was one other example of that during the first week of the season, IIRC.) I would expect the question writers to decide on the topic labels in advance, and that should be that!

mcd1400de

#6 Post by mcd1400de » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 pm

slam wrote:
$25,000 * Italian

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Looks like my fellow Delawarean is getting another crack at the hot seat. According to this article, there was a misspelling in the original $25K question, so TPTB are allowing Patrick to return to the $16K level with all lifelines intact:

Delaware man gets another shot

So apparently Patrick must have had a rather interesting choice. I would guess he could have opted to keep the $25K he has in hand. By choosing to return, he has a chance to win a (possibly much) greater amount. But he also risks missing the new $25K question -- and going home with only a grand this time around.

It seems akin to the idea of a football team making a field goal, but getting a first down by penalty and having the option to try again for a touchdown. Do you keep the three points, or take them off the board and go for more?
Bazinga!

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:02 pm

mcd1400de wrote: Looks like my fellow Delawarean is getting another crack at the hot seat. According to this article, there was a misspelling in the original $25K question, so TPTB are allowing Patrick to return to the $16K level with all lifelines intact:
What spelling error? Was it corrected after he used his lifelines but before the broadcast?

slam

#8 Post by slam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:57 pm

mcd1400de wrote:
slam wrote:
$25,000 * Italian

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Looks like my fellow Delawarean is getting another crack at the hot seat. According to this article, there was a misspelling in the original $25K question, so TPTB are allowing Patrick to return to the $16K level with all lifelines intact:

Delaware man gets another shot

So apparently Patrick must have had a rather interesting choice. I would guess he could have opted to keep the $25K he has in hand. By choosing to return, he has a chance to win a (possibly much) greater amount. But he also risks missing the new $25K question -- and going home with only a grand this time around.

It seems akin to the idea of a football team making a field goal, but getting a first down by penalty and having the option to try again for a touchdown. Do you keep the three points, or take them off the board and go for more?
It seems rather clear for Patrick to play again even with a small risk of ending up with just $1K. With all 4 lifelines left, he should be very, very likely to at least get the $25K clue right and then at least have a free shot (and probably much better) at the $50K and higher.

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Very interesting. If they're doing post-production changes to fix errors in the graphics, I wonder why they didn't change the graphic that said a pony keg is a vegetable.

I just checked my recording and coloratura was spelled correctly on the screen. I don't know how it was spelled for the contestant.

Another oddity was evident in the WWTBAM promotional media material at the start of the season. They distributed a still photo of the blond woman on today's show (9/30/08), appearing to answer a question on the screen that was actually asked of a different contestant on one of last week's shows. It was the "Eat, drink, and be merry" question, as seen in the photo rotation at the top of this site:
http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Another oddity was evident in the WWTBAM promotional media material at the start of the season. They distributed a still photo of the blond woman on today's show (9/30/08), appearing to answer a question on the screen that was actually asked of a different contestant on one of last week's shows. It was the "Eat, drink, and be merry" question, as seen in the photo rotation at the top of this site:
By using that photo with the clock at one second on a $100 question, they portrayed this contestant (IMO) as a ditzy airhead. Although I've already forgotten how she did on today's show (and I'll have to check the transcript to jog my memory), my impression of watching her play the game was that she was both likeable and reasonably intelligent. If I were she, I would be very upset about the manufactured and unfair portrayal in the publicity picture -- even if that was not the intended purpose of that PhotoShopped image.

(Disclaimer: I don't know if Millionaire doctored the photo or if it was done by a web site.)

TheConfessor

#11 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
By using that photo with the clock at one second on a $100 question, they portrayed this contestant (IMO) as a ditzy airhead. Although I've already forgotten how she did on today's show (and I'll have to check the transcript to jog my memory), my impression of watching her play the game was that she was both likeable and reasonably intelligent. If I were she, I would be very upset about the manufactured and unfair portrayal in the publicity picture -- even if that was not the intended purpose of that PhotoShopped image.

(Disclaimer: I don't know if Millionaire doctored the photo or if it was done by a web site.)
Good point. No one would want to be misrepresented in such a way. I didn't assume any nefarious intent, but they must have had some reason for altering the image. (Again, as you said, assuming the change was made by the show and not by a fan.)

pcmaxey

#12 Post by pcmaxey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Here is another site that uses the doctored photo:

http://tinyurl.com/3q5heo

TheConfessor

#13 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 pm

pcmaxey wrote:Here is another site that uses the doctored photo:

Wow, that one is a pure falsehood, not just the PR department taking a little artistic license.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:04 am

TheConfessor wrote:
pcmaxey wrote:Here is another site that uses the doctored photo:

Wow, that one is a pure falsehood, not just the PR department taking a little artistic license.
And it it unquestionably from TPTB at SyndieBAM, not photoshopping from any third parties. :evil:

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 am

Here's another article about Patrick getting another chance, because they mispelled "coloratura" on his monitor. The article also mentions how the APs insisted he'd do the Chris Farley imitation--which he'll do again on his second-chance episode, Nov. 10.
"I did it three times. I guess I'm getting typecast."
:roll:

http://www.laurelstar.com/index.cfm?ref=42578&ref2=171

TheConfessor

#16 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's another article about Patrick getting another chance, because they mispelled "coloratura" on his monitor. The article also mentions how the APs insisted he'd do the Chris Farley imitation--which he'll do again on his second-chance episode, Nov. 10.
"I did it three times. I guess I'm getting typecast."
:roll:

http://www.laurelstar.com/index.cfm?ref=42578&ref2=171
I wonder if the agreement for him to come back specified who his Expert would be. Probably not, though it might be a factor in deciding whether to put his $25K at risk.

Winnamill

#17 Post by Winnamill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Patrick did his re-taping immediately following me so I had a chance to meet him. Very nice guy.

NellyLunatic1980

#18 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:53 pm

No problems for me on the $16K and $25K questions.

$50K: Although this is a geography question, I've never thought about how many emirates make up the UAE. This sounds like a perfect time to use the PAF.