Transcript 11/09/07 - Alison McBain (Carry-over contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/09/07 - Alison McBain (Carry-over contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Grand Giveaway Week - All contestants start with $1,000.

Alison McBain
Phoenix, AZ

Before introducing Alison, Meredith says that the show has so far given away a grand total of $42,437,300.00.

Alison has been busy. She will be getting married in five days.

Meredith: Are you? Wow! So, what are you doing here?

Alison: Well, I got the call a couple weeks ago and it's kind of a now or never sort of thing, so I decided I'd come out here and take the chance, so hopefully--I mean it's already worked out so well! Can't argue with that.

Alison has her PAF and 50/50 left.

$4,000
The art of trimming shrubs and trees into sculpture-like shapes is known as what?

A: Decoupage B: Topiary
C: Scrimshaw D: Lapidary

$8,000
Which of these hit '80s song features the recurring line "The shareef don't like it"?

A: Rock the Casbah B: One Night in Bangkok
C: Walk Like an Egyptian D: Der Kommissar

Alison: This one's definitely going to be playing at our reception! A: Rock the Casbah, final answer.

$16,000
In the 2007 film "Sunshine," a crew of astronauts voyages to the Sun in a ship with what fitting mythological name?

A: Perseus II B: Sisyphus II
C: Prometheus II D: Icarus II

Alison remembers that Daedelus and Icarus flew too close to the sun.

$25,000
In 1912, what former U.S. president famously delivered a speech in Milwaukee immediately after being shot in the chest?

A: Warren G. Harding B: Woodrow Wilson
C: Theodore Roosevelt D: William H. Taft

PAF: Alison calls Vince, her fiance's cousin.

Vince: Can you go throught the names again, please?

Alison: Warren G. Harding, Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt or William H. Taft. Five seconds!

Vince: Umm, I'm thinking--jeez--uh, Ta--McKinley!

Meredith: Well, I think he's a little off.

Alison: You think?

50/50 leaves B & C.

Alison could say Roosevelt but she honestly doesn't know.

Alison walks with $16,000.

Millionaire's Grand Giveaway $1,000 Winners
Angela Adcock - Dunedin, FL
Jamie Brooks - Phoenix, AZ
Mark Fine - Cary, NC
Richard Hoover - Jacksonville, FL
Edward Radcliffe - Mamaroneck, NY

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$4,000: B: Topiary
$8,000: A: Rock the Casbah
$16,000: D: Icarus II
$25,000: C: Theodore Roosevelt

summus123

#2 Post by summus123 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:53 pm

Finally, someone from the August Phoenix audition is on the show! Also, glad to see at least 1 person from Arizona win a $1000 in the giveaway contest (wish it were me) :(

Knew the Teddy Roosevelt question at $25K. Would have made it to $25K with all lifelines remaining.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:19 pm

summus123 wrote:Finally, someone from the August Phoenix audition is on the show! Also, glad to see at least 1 person from Arizona win a $1000 in the giveaway contest (wish it were me) :(

Knew the Teddy Roosevelt question at $25K. Would have made it to $25K with all lifelines remaining.
All you need to know is when the presidents held office. In 1912, Taft was president, Wilson was a candidate (who would ultimately win, but would not keep us out of war), and Harding was far in the future. Roosevelt was the only choice who was a former president in 1912. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:54 am

Bob78164 wrote: All you need to know is when the presidents held office. In 1912, Taft was president, Wilson was a candidate (who would ultimately win, but would not keep us out of war), and Harding was far in the future. Roosevelt was the only choice who was a former president in 1912. --Bob
Yeah, this was one question where you could reason out the answer without ever having heard of the the incident in Milwaukee.

Kudos to PAF Vince for his innovative NOTA answer. :roll:

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/09/07 - Alison McBain (Carry-over contesta

#5 Post by earendel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Alison: Well, I got the call a couple weeks ago and it's kind of a now or never sort of thing, so I decided I'd come out here and take the chance, so hopefully--I mean it's already worked out so well! Can't argue with that.
A great attitude - at least she's not a reluctant contestant.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000
Which of these hit '80s song features the recurring line "The shareef don't like it"?

Alison: This one's definitely going to be playing at our reception! A: Rock the Casbah, final answer.
Interesting choice - she doesn't look old enough to have been around in the early 80s when the song was released.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In 1912, what former U.S. president famously delivered a speech in Milwaukee immediately after being shot in the chest?

A: Warren G. Harding B: Woodrow Wilson
C: Theodore Roosevelt D: William H. Taft
I know it's not Taft and it's not Wilson and it's not Harding.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Vince: Umm, I'm thinking--jeez--uh, Ta--McKinley!

Meredith: Well, I think he's a little off.
I ROFLed on this one, both at the response and at Meredith's comment.

At the end of the show Meredith's children brought out a cake with the BAM logo on it. She didn't recognize them at first, or so it appeared.

Oh, well, as a gimmick went, this one was no better than any of the others - I suspect that even with the other five questions in play the results would have ended up pretty much the same in terms of contestants' winnings.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:52 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000

Interesting choice - she doesn't look old enough to have been around in the early 80s when the song was released.
Perhaps she said she'd play it in honor of it getting her to $8,000? :)

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:56 am

earendel wrote:At the end of the show Meredith's children brought out a cake with the BAM logo on it. She didn't recognize them at first, or so it appeared.
It appeared to me that she knew they were going to have a celebration, but she was surprised her children had come to the studio for it.

I wonder what taping day this was? It would have been interesting to be there for that, even if TPTB are still keeping me an outsider. :|

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:At the end of the show Meredith's children brought out a cake with the BAM logo on it. She didn't recognize them at first, or so it appeared.
It appeared to me that she knew they were going to have a celebration, but she was surprised her children had come to the studio for it.

I wonder what taping day this was? It would have been interesting to be there for that, even if TPTB are still keeping me an outsider. :|
According to her blog, she didn't recognise her children at first. She said it was the context.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:06 am

Bob Juch wrote:According to her blog, she didn't recognise her children at first. She said it was the context.
Oh, okay.

You read Meredith's blog? :roll: :P

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:36 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:According to her blog, she didn't recognise her children at first. She said it was the context.
Oh, okay.

You read Meredith's blog? :roll: :P
I do too.

Shade

#11 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:48 am

Meredith has a blog, give me the link. I want to read! :)

summus123

#12 Post by summus123 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:59 am

Shade wrote:Meredith has a blog, give me the link. I want to read! :)
http://meredithtoday.ivillage.com/entertainment/

I read it too! :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:12 am

summus123 wrote:
Shade wrote:Meredith has a blog, give me the link. I want to read! :)
http://meredithtoday.ivillage.com/entertainment/

I read it too! :)

There's a picture of a squirrel in the blog. It looks evil. :)

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#14 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:38 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
My sister Tigger would never let me be mean to the baby squirrels. She said the babies were sweet and innocent, and she always protected them. According to her, they went bad as they grew older as the result of neglectful parents who served as bad role models and, perhaps, unfortunate influences incurred through their MySquirrelSpace pages.

Maybe that squirrel was still nice when Miss Meredith knew him. Maybe if his tail never got any bushier than the picture showed, he remained justifiably humble and remarkably unevil. I would like to think so, because I am an optimistic sort of girl.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:38 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
My sister Tigger would never let me be mean to the baby squirrels. She said the babies were sweet and innocent, and she always protected them. According to her, they went bad as they grew older as the result of neglectful parents who served as bad role models and, perhaps, unfortunate influences incurred through their MySquirrelSpace pages.

Maybe that squirrel was still nice when Miss Meredith knew him. Maybe if his tail never got any bushier than the picture showed, he remained justifiably humble and remarkably unevil. I would like to think so, because I am an optimistic sort of girl.

/:P\
Squirrels are just rats with fuzzy tails!

Shade

#16 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Now all I have to figure out is how I can sent Meredith a question. I wanted to ask why she never calls the show "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and only calls it "Millionaire" :P