Transcript 10/1/08: Lyndsay Baldwin (Carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/1/08: Lyndsay Baldwin (Carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Lyndsay Baldwin
Cos Cob, CT
Stay-at-Home Mom

Lyndsay had 3 kids in 3 years, and says her life is "crazy". She and her husband are dying to quit renting, and get their own home.

She has $8,000, and her DD and ATE lifelines left.

Remaining categories:

Authors
The Solar System
Billy Crystal
The Cabinet
Medical Conditions
Europe
Brand Names

$16,000 (Brand Names): Produced in Germany, Maybach is a luxury brand of what?
A: Automobile B: Stereo
C: Cell phone D: Vodka

Lyndsay decides to ATE, Lynn Paine.

Lynn says she wishes she knew, but would have to guess. She doesn't think it's an automobile, because she would have heard of it, and it could be any of the other three. She hazards a guess of vodka.

Lyndsay decides to Double Dip.
Spoiler
Her first guess is Stereo, which is incorrect. With 17 seconds left, she ruminates "Cell phone or vodka, cell phone or vodka..." before picking Vodka.

Lyndsay guesses wrong twice, and leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler

Kazoo65

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:42 pm

ARRGHHH! This is VERY obscure. The only German cars I've heard of are Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, and Porsche.

I've never heard of a German stereo.

I usually associate vodka with Russia.

Cell phone? I don't think so-Verizon, Sprint, and Motorola don't sound German.

PAF a Googler. If that doesn't work, Double Dip.
I'm just a game show nerd.

KillerTomato

#3 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Kazoo65 wrote: I've never heard of a German stereo.

In terms of German electronics, you may have heard of Blaupunkt.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Maybach is an extreme luxury item. Saw one in the parking lot next to work a few years back. There was no nameplate. I had to look hard just to find a logo. I believe the price starts around $350,000 and goes up from there.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Weyoun

#5 Post by Weyoun » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:25 pm

gsabc wrote:Maybach is an extreme luxury item. Saw one in the parking lot next to work a few years back. There was no nameplate. I had to look hard just to find a logo. I believe the price starts around $350,000 and goes up from there.
It's actually owned by Daimler. Maybach himself was one of the big names in early automobile engines, though obviously not as famous as Otto, Benz, Diesel, etc.

15QuestionsAway

#6 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:15 am

Some clarifications and corrections:

For this question 9 ($16k):

1. Ask the Expert taken with 22 s left.
2. Double Dip taken with 17 s left.
3. Second (incorrect) Double Dip answer given with 4 s left.

Also, the correct spelling of the Expert's name is Lyn Payne.

tanstaafl2

Re: Transcript 10/1/08: Lyndsay Baldwin (Carryover)

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lyndsay Baldwin
Cos Cob, CT
Stay-at-Home Mom

$16,000 (Brand Names): Produced in Germany, Maybach is a luxury brand of what?
A: Automobile B: Stereo
C: Cell phone D: Vodka

Lyndsay decides to ATE, Lynn Paine.

Lynn says she wishes she knew, but would have to guess. She doesn't think it's an automobile, because she would have heard of it, and it could be any of the other three. She hazards a guess of vodka.

Lyndsay decides to Double Dip.
Spoiler
Her first guess is Stereo, which is incorrect. With 17 seconds left, she ruminates "Cell phone or vodka, cell phone or vodka..." before picking Vodka.

Lyndsay guesses wrong twice, and leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
Not all that obscure if you have any interest in cars at all which makes Lynn's response a bit odd. Any regular reader of the car mags would likely know of it. I certainly did despite having never seen one in person. Also an easy google, not that it was an option here.

Perhaps she is not as much of a "car aficionado" as she thought.

Anybody tracking the success of the ATE? Doesn't seem all that great so far but one tends to remain the negative outcomes better than the positive. Or at least I do.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

andrewjackson

#8 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Spoiler
Maybach was always sort of affiliated with Daimler. Mostly they built luxury cars on Mercedes chassis and with their own engines before WWII. For quite a while after WWII they only made engines. I just checked. They didn't make any cars between 1945 and 2002.

In the 90s Daimler used Maybach as a brand name on some show cars and in 2002 they re-introduced it as a separate line of cars.
No matter where you go, there you are.

christie1111
11:11

#9 Post by christie1111 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:53 pm

andrewjackson wrote:
Spoiler
Maybach was always sort of affiliated with Daimler. Mostly they built luxury cars on Mercedes chassis and with their own engines before WWII. For quite a while after WWII they only made engines. I just checked. They didn't make any cars between 1945 and 2002.

In the 90s Daimler used Maybach as a brand name on some show cars and in 2002 they re-introduced it as a separate line of cars.
Wow, then that was a particularly tough $16K Q.

Best would be if your Google lifeline is still available.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:09 pm

christie1111 wrote:
I disagree. Anybody who had read a single article about luxury or "most expensive" cars within the last five years would have recognized the word Maybach. Now, I realize that not everyone is particularly interested in such topics, but the job description for prospective game show contestants should include reading about many things that are outside his or her normal span of experience.

(Yes, I remain repentent that I didn't read far more about baseball before I hit the hot seat. Slowly, I now am trying to repair the biggest obvious gaps in the "don't care so much" areas of my brain, because much of the rest of the world cares, and that makes them legitimate topics for questions.)

TexasMommy

#11 Post by TexasMommy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:04 pm

Something that struck me about the wording of this question that gave the answer away, for me at least, and I really didn't have any idea what it was otherwise...
Spoiler
The words "luxury brand" - when you think about it, if you had just bought one of the very best cell phones or stereos on the market, you probably wouldn't say "I just bought a luxury brand of cell phone" or "I have a luxury stereo system." You would instead say something like "top of the line". For the best vodka, you would likely say "premium". It is, however, common to hear the word "luxury" when you are referring to an automobile, even the term "luxury brand". Just my three cents!

TheConfessor

#12 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:01 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
I disagree. Anybody who had read a single article about luxury or "most expensive" cars within the last five years would have recognized the word Maybach. Now, I realize that not everyone is particularly interested in such topics, but the job description for prospective game show contestants should include reading about many things that are outside his or her normal span of experience.

(Yes, I remain repentent that I didn't read far more about baseball before I hit the hot seat. Slowly, I now am trying to repair the biggest obvious gaps in the "don't care so much" areas of my brain, because much of the rest of the world cares, and that makes them legitimate topics for questions.)
I had never heard of Maybach. But I drive a 2000 Mazda pickup, so what do I know?

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:09 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
christie1111 wrote:

)
I was surpised the contestant didn't know and shocked Lyn didn't know.

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Maybe I am better off being shocked that I knew.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#15 Post by frogman042 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:35 pm

TexasMommy wrote:Something that struck me about the wording of this question that gave the answer away, for me at least, and I really didn't have any idea what it was otherwise...
Spoiler
The words "luxury brand" - when you think about it, if you had just bought one of the very best cell phones or stereos on the market, you probably wouldn't say "I just bought a luxury brand of cell phone" or "I have a luxury stereo system." You would instead say something like "top of the line". For the best vodka, you would likely say "premium". It is, however, common to hear the word "luxury" when you are referring to an automobile, even the term "luxury brand". Just my three cents!
Spoiler
How about seeing the word 'traditional' - would you think, fairly common, of recent origin and exclusive to a particular area or would think a relatively long history (long in terms of what it relates to - i.e. ATA is a Traditional lifeline DD or STQ isn't, because it may only be 10 years old, the show that it refers to is the same age as well) that existed for at least multiple generations ;-)

I'm not saying your reasoning is wrong and I even agree that if you have nothing else to go on it is a strategy that makes sense - the problem is the writers may not use the word in the way that you or even most people use it.

I'm trying to think of a case were this type of approach may fail but none immedietly comes to mind.
---Jay

NellyLunatic1980

#16 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:48 pm

With all of the rap music that I've listened to over the years, if I didn't know immediately that a Maybach is a very expensive car, something was wrong.

But unless you're a car fanatic or a rap fanatic, this was a WWOQ®. Should've been at least a $50,000 question.