Hey No Free Lunch guy!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

#26 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:35 am

traininvain wrote:I think there was a thread once upon a time that explained everyone's handles, maybe back in 2000 or 2001; I don't suppose you've got a copy of that Beast?

That was a looooooong time ago! It was in December of 2000, I believe.

And no, I didn't bother to record it. Between having no cut & paste at the time, and my archiving not starting until 4 months later when the Rot was erasing all of my favorite memories, it never got preserved....

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#27 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:36 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:nitrah has also been explained, although that might not make much sense if you've never met him or been told his real name. :wink:

The only explanation I've seen is that the meaning is in the name backwards. I'm guessing it doesn't make sense to me for the reasons you listed....
That's a good guess! :)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#28 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:40 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:nitrah has also been explained, although that might not make much sense if you've never met him or been told his real name. :wink:

The only explanation I've seen is that the meaning is in the name backwards. I'm guessing it doesn't make sense to me for the reasons you listed....

Therefore, it doesn't count as an example of something obvious I should have known after staring at the name for several years....

lb13

peacock2121

#29 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:32 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Therefore, it doesn't count as an example of something obvious I should have known after staring at the name for several years....

lb13
except....... the person who asked him if that was in fact the reason for his screen name did not know him, other than as nitrah, the guy who cleans basements.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#30 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:34 am

I always got the free lunch thing, but just the other day I was thinking of my daughter as She Who Must Be Obeyed, and it FINALLY hit me why mrk calls his wife SWMBO. It only took HOW many years....?

Sheesh.

peacock2121

#31 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 am

minimetoo26 wrote:I always got the free lunch thing, but just the other day I was thinking of my daughter as She Who Must Be Obeyed, and it FINALLY hit me why mrk calls his wife SWMBO. It only took HOW many years....?

Sheesh.
I didn't get that one!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:39 am

minimetoo26 wrote:I always got the free lunch thing, but just the other day I was thinking of my daughter as She Who Must Be Obeyed, and it FINALLY hit me why mrk calls his wife SWMBO. It only took HOW many years....?

Sheesh.

I didn't know that one either, but I don't go around obeying anyone....

:P

lb13

minimetoo26

#33 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

Sheesh.

lb13
No kidding. Didn't take me long to figure THAT one out.... :P :P

Gimme A Squiggly
Merry Man

#34 Post by Gimme A Squiggly » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:44 am

littlebeast13 wrote:I didn't know that one either, but I don't go around obeying anyone....

lb13

AHEM!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#35 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:06 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

Sheesh.

lb13
Not even your bosses at WalMart :)

I went to Target yesterday to buy laundry soap. I always use Tide and buy a lot of it when it goes on sale, so I haven't bought Tide in months.

I noticed that it's all superconcentrated now and comes in a smaller or bigger package.

I guess this change would impact the way that you stock your shelves. The larger bottles (52) loads are now more convenient, so I would probably end up buying fewer bottles, which might mean less stocking at the store.

I had to tell the girls that when they do laundry, rather than using the measuring cup that is inside the washer, they need to actually measure using the lid of the detergent. I predict much messiness.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#36 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:17 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I went to Target yesterday to buy laundry soap. I always use Tide and buy a lot of it when it goes on sale, so I haven't bought Tide in months.

I noticed that it's all superconcentrated now and comes in a smaller or bigger package.

I guess this change would impact the way that you stock your shelves. The larger bottles (52) loads are now more convenient, so I would probably end up buying fewer bottles, which might mean less stocking at the store.

I had to tell the girls that when they do laundry, rather than using the measuring cup that is inside the washer, they need to actually measure using the lid of the detergent. I predict much messiness.

It's not a bigger package if you're comparing the concentrated bottle to its non-concentrated equivalent. The bottles have all gotten smaller.

Things may be different in California, but around here I'd guess about 20% of the laundry aisle is now concentrated detergents, and that's mainly at the big discount stores. The dollar stores probably have little if any concentrated stuff. We are supposed to be converting to all liquid concentrated detergent company-wide by next May, but no way do I see that happening. My store is very much a hoosier/ghetto Wal~Mart, and the clientele will absolutely not have their favorite powders and watered down liquids banished from the store forever.

I'm not in Target much since we don't have one in town, but I looked at their detergent aisle the last time I was in one, and was very unimpressed. It is very obvious Target is not using its consumable departments to bring people into the store. Their sized aisle in my store would be wiped out easily on an average day, let alone a busy one....

lb13

Spelling Police
Merry Man

#37 Post by Spelling Police » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:29 am

nothing to see here.
when the sound is ee
it's i before e
except after c

Otto Censor
Merry Man

Re: Hey No Free Lunch guy!

#38 Post by Otto Censor » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:29 am

traininvain wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:You avatar makes me giggle.

Do you know if that photo is really real?
Yes, I rather thought it might, given your own avatar!

http://web.ripnet.com/~nimmos/under_the_kilt.html

I do not know if it is real or not but supposedly it is. Indeed, the tradition, even requirement, in Scottish regiments, so I have been told, was to go commando. It used to be part of the inspection process to check. Not so anymore but the "tradition" seems to be holding...

The following picture on that page is even more amusing but perhaps not for those easily offended...
Spoiler

He seems very happy, and The Queen seems, umm, slightly aroused.
*swoon**faint**thud*

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#39 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:30 am

littlebeast13 wrote: It's not a bigger package if you're comparing the concentrated bottle to its non-concentrated equivalent. The bottles have all gotten smaller.
I used to buy the 26 load Tide with Bleach. After this change, the size that has become most convenient (because it will fit on the shelf over the washer) is the 52 load concentrated size, which is bigger thant the 26 load bottle.

Target seems to be pushing the 52 load concentrated size, because there were many more bottles of it available than the 26 load size, which used to dominate the Tide section. If more people buy the 52 load size, then they will need to restock this section of the store less.

I know that Walmart has better prices than Target, but I can't stand the store that is close to my house. The store is usually out of stock on the things that I need and I find the stores to be messier than the Target store.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#40 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:47 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: It's not a bigger package if you're comparing the concentrated bottle to its non-concentrated equivalent. The bottles have all gotten smaller.
I used to buy the 26 load Tide with Bleach. After this change, the size that has become most convenient (because it will fit on the shelf over the washer) is the 52 load concentrated size, which is bigger thant the 26 load bottle.

The 26 load is the old 100 oz. size. The 52 load concentrate, though it is still 100 oz. is actually comparable to the 200 oz size, not the 100's. The bottle (Which just recently got bigger, it was originally about the same size as the non-conc. 100 oz. bottles) therefore is smaller than it's comparable non-concentrate.
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Target seems to be pushing the 52 load concentrated size, because there were many more bottles of it available than the 26 load size, which used to dominate the Tide section. If more people buy the 52 load size, then they will need to restock this section of the store less.
That's true in theory, though I'm sure the manufacturers count on consumers using more than they need of the concentrated detergent due to the need to change the amount they use in a load. The concentrates have been slow to catch on, though they would probably go over better with Target's typical clientele rather than ours...
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I know that Walmart has better prices than Target, but I can't stand the store that is close to my house. The store is usually out of stock on the things that I need and I find the stores to be messier than the Target store.
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only stocker in the whole company who cares about keeping their aisle full when I walk in another Wal~Mart. The out of stocks in the detergent aisle at the Supercenter in the neighboring city were horrendous the first time I visited it. I certainly agree that Targets are much cleaner than Wals, though a lot of that has to do with the amount of traffic each store gets (No matter how hard we tried, we could never keep our store as clean as the Target that I was last in looked)...

lb13

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:53 am

I use the 64 load 200 oz. size of Tide Free. I can't find it at the Wal-Mart near me which has got to be one of the biggest Supercenters in the country. If there's a concentrated size, I've yet to find it.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#42 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:55 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
That's true in theory, though I'm sure the manufacturers count on consumers using more than they need of the concentrated detergent due to the need to change the amount they use in a load. The concentrates have been slow to catch on, though they would probably go over better with Target's typical clientele rather than ours...
I did a load last night and found myself starting to fill up the laundry cup in the washer. It's going to take a concerted effort to start using the cap on the Tide bottle again.
littlebeast13 wrote: I sometimes wonder if I'm the only stocker in the whole company who cares about keeping their aisle full when I walk in another Wal~Mart. The out of stocks in the detergent aisle at the Supercenter in the neighboring city were horrendous the first time I visited it. I certainly agree that Targets are much cleaner than Wals, though a lot of that has to do with the amount of traffic each store gets (No matter how hard we tried, we could never keep our store as clean as the Target that I was last in looked)...
The WalMart is closer to Emma's school than Target. It would be much easier for me to swing by and shop there, but it doesn't save time if I can't find what I need.

If the other stockers in the company cared as much as you, company profits might be higher. :)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#43 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:00 am

Bob Juch wrote:I use the 64 load 200 oz. size of Tide Free. I can't find it at the Wal-Mart near me which has got to be one of the biggest Supercenters in the country. If there's a concentrated size, I've yet to find it.

I've never seen a 200 oz. Tide Free bottle before, but we do sell the Tide Free 100 oz. concentrate, which is the same number of loads....

lb13

minimetoo26

#44 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:03 am

I can't wait to find 100 LOAD size. That actually does 100 loads. And I could still lift it.

Those load calculations are a real...load. Small loads. Feh. I spit on their small loads!

traininvain

#45 Post by traininvain » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
traininvain wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Any ones in particular you don't get?
Yeah, pretty much all the ones mentioned in this thread, I'm even starting to wonder about my own name.
tanstaafl has already been explained. That phrase is generally used when discussing economics/politics.

nitrah has also been explained, although that might not make much sense if you've never met him or been told his real name. :wink:

As for NE1410S being "Tennis Dude", pronounce each of these as a word and say it quickly:

N-E-1-4-10-S. 8)
Well at least I understand this one now.

I'm thinking about changing my name to SWLABR, just to confuse people.

BTW, there is far too much soap talk going on here!
Enjoy every sandwich

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#46 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:47 am

traininvain wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
traininvain wrote: Yeah, pretty much all the ones mentioned in this thread, I'm even starting to wonder about my own name.
tanstaafl has already been explained. That phrase is generally used when discussing economics/politics.

nitrah has also been explained, although that might not make much sense if you've never met him or been told his real name. :wink:

As for NE1410S being "Tennis Dude", pronounce each of these as a word and say it quickly:

N-E-1-4-10-S. 8)
Well at least I understand this one now.

I'm thinking about changing my name to SWLABR, just to confuse people.

BTW, there is far too much soap talk going on here!
Hey, when you've got a bona fide expert in the house, you take advantage of his expertise.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

MarleysGh0st

#47 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:48 am

traininvain wrote:BTW, there is far too much soap talk going on here!
We should never encourage beast's shop talk! :P

Bob Juch

#48 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:57 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:I use the 64 load 200 oz. size of Tide Free. I can't find it at the Wal-Mart near me which has got to be one of the biggest Supercenters in the country. If there's a concentrated size, I've yet to find it.
I've never seen a 200 oz. Tide Free bottle before, but we do sell the Tide Free 100 oz. concentrate, which is the same number of loads....

lb13
OK, but you're a long drive from here. :P

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#49 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:09 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
traininvain wrote:BTW, there is far too much soap talk going on here!
We should never encourage beast's shop talk! :P
Not a problem for me :)

I am proud of my mad laundering skills and I am always willing to learn from the experts.