Mr. DaVinci's Music

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

Mr. DaVinci's Music

#1 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:13 pm

As I may have mentioned once or twice, I have been studying music so I can become a better composer. Sometimes when my brain gets filled up with too many notes, I take a break and look at paintings. Today, I was looking at the super-high-resolution internet version of The Last Supper, painted by Mr. DaVinci. I have to look at it on the internet because, even though I ask nicely, my mom won't drive me to the Sistine Chapel. If you want to look at the painting, too, it's here:

http://www.haltadefinizione.com/en/

So, an Italian musician says he found secret music in the painting, by recognizing that the table formed a staff, with loaves of bread and the Apostles' hands forming the notes, and reading from right to left, the way Mr. DaVinci liked to write his backwards code. It's a sacred hymn or requiem, according to the Italian.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/11/0 ... 02-ak-0000

I have not played this music myself, because I do not have a pipe organ, upon which the hymn supposedly sounds best. If Mr. DaVinci felt highly enough about his song to hide it for more than 500 years, he deserves the best possible performance. I've started wondering, though, if any other painters have hidden music in their work.

I'm going to check out Mr. Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon on La Grand Jatte." I like that painting because it has dogs, and lots of heads that might form musical chords, and ladies holding parasols that might represent musical slurs. Furthermore, I always did think there was something fishy about that monkey on a leash. In my experience, reasonable two-footers simply do not let their monkeys hang out with loose dogs at the park. Now I think that monkey is a clue!

/:P\
Last edited by AnnieCamaro on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sou iu koto de.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#2 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Here is Mr. Seurat's painting, if you're not familiar with it or don't know how to use Google. (I had to learn in order to get through Home School High School.)

http://webexhibits.org/colorart/zoom.ph ... ges+Seurat

I think I can hum a few bars of it.
Sou iu koto de.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#3 Post by cindy.wellman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:16 am

Miss Annie,

I would guess that Mom might be willing to turn on CNN where they have played the requiem. Since CNN seems to be so repetitive, you shouldn't have to wait long before they play it again.

I like the second picture, thank you for sharing it.

Cindy

** I would have sneaked you in with us at least one of the times to the Sistene Chapel with us. I think you would have enjoyed the time when Sam was wearing Heelys. (In a *very* respectful way, of course) Travel is much faster through Vatican type places, or other travel places when one has Heelys on their feet. I would imagine it would be even faster if one had a dog leading them while wearing the Heelys.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#4 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:20 am

cindy.wellman wrote:Miss Annie,

I would guess that Mom might be willing to turn on CNN where they have played the requiem. Since CNN seems to be so repetitive, you shouldn't have to wait long before they play it again.
Thank you so much, Miss Cindy! I have turned the tv to CNN just now. I have noticed that Mr. Larry King looks somewhat like the Night Watch gentleman as painted by Mr. Rembrandt.
Sou iu koto de.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#5 Post by cindy.wellman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:21 am

:oops: My apologies. I didn't watch the video prior to replying. I see now that you can hear the music on it!!

:D

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#6 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:40 am

cindy.wellman wrote::oops: My apologies. I didn't watch the video prior to replying. I see now that you can hear the music on it!!

:D
I do think Mr. Seurat's song has a better beat.
Sou iu koto de.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:50 am

Annie! I hadn't seen this on CNN or anywhere else. I've been to the Sistine Chapel and somehow I missed this when I saw the painting. I have a bit of a music background, so I'm quite disappointed in myself.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will be keeping up with it.

p.s as an aside, I've been practicing on my new piano almost everyday and have almost mastered "Tears in Heaven". I even played it for someone last Sunday.
:)

tanstaafl2

Re: Mr. DaVinci's Music

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:21 am

AnnieCamaro wrote:As I may have mentioned once or twice, I have been studying music so I can become a better composer. Sometimes when my brain gets filled up with too many notes, I take a break and look at paintings. Today, I was looking at the super-high-resolution internet version of The Last Supper, painted by Mr. DaVinci. I have to look at it on the internet because, even though I ask nicely, my mom won't drive me to the Sistine Chapel. If you want to look at the painting, too, it's here:

/:P\
Dear Annie,

If your mom did drive you to the Sistine Chapel you might still have some difficulty viewing DaVinci's "The Last Supper".

Have her drive you to Milan instead. And make sure knows it isn't the one up in Kansas either!

And don't pay any attention to Ms. Kay as she didn't see it at the Sistine Chapel either. She is probably still a bit dazed after Auburn lost...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

Re: Mr. DaVinci's Music

#9 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:34 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
If your mom did drive you to the Sistine Chapel you might still have some difficulty viewing DaVinci's "The Last Supper".
Thank you, Mr. Dr. Tan. I do know, deep down inside, that The Last Supper is in Milan, and that the Sistine Chapel is where Mr. Michaelangelo painted that lovely picture of Mr. Adam and Mr. God.

It goes into my brain right, but sometimes I think wrong when it all comes back out.

/:cry:\
Sou iu koto de.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:27 pm

If I make a post at 12:50AM I'm allowed to say anything, right? Right?

OK, maybe not. But I've been to Milan..and Leonardo's Museum...even read the di Vinci Code, maybe that's part of the problem, otherwise
it's all Annie's fault for confusing me.