Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:05 am

Jim Quay (kway)
Sandy Springs, GA
Father of 4, grandfather of 2, no occupation given, but very involved in his church
Wife Julie is in the companion seat.

Question Topics:
* Big Bucks
* Heavy Medals
* George W. Bush
* Sloppy Seconds
* Novel Endings
* Island Names
* Pokémon
* Foreign Foods
* Will Ferrell
* Miami
* Composting
* Familiar Phrases
* The Who
* Mickey D's
* Entertaining Tips

$100 When throwing a last-minute dinner party, what hostessing task can be accomplished quickly using a bucket of ice, water and salt?
A: Chilling a bottle of wine
B: Folding napkins
C: Chopping vegetables
D: Making a mess
Spoiler
A: Chilling a bottle of wine (5)

$200 McDonald's began serving breakfast in 1973 when it introduced what item to the menu?
A: Egg McMuffin
B: Quarter Pounder with Cheese
C: Filet-O-Fish
D: Chicken McNuggets
Spoiler
A: Egg McMuffin (6)

$300 "He's got crazy flipper fingers" and "Never tilts at all" are lyrics from a 1969 song by The Who titled what?
A: Billiards Wizard
B: Ping-Pong Wizard
C: Bowling Wizard
D: Pinball Wizard
Spoiler
Jim: (0:09) (confidently) He's a Ping-Pong Wizard. It's got to be B. (0:06) (sudden frantic expression on face) Excuse me, excuse me (0:03) Pinball wizard (0:02) Final Answer.
Meredith: Whoa, that was so close Jim, with one second, you got it, everyone breathe a sigh of relief. Jim, I could feel the air sucked out of the room, whoa! Close! At what moment did you realize, whoops?
Jim: I started singing the song in my head, and I said, Ping-Pong Wizard?? Can't be it.
M: Pinball, you got it.

D: Pinball Wizard (1)

$500 "Everything is copacetic" means roughly the same thing as which of the following?
A: That's so annoying
B: How bizarre
C: Everything's cool
D: I'm very stressed
Spoiler
C: Everything's cool (5)

$1,000 Which of the following items is suitable for composting?
A: Light bulb
B: Banana peel
C: Lithium battery
D: Styrofoam cup
Spoiler
B: Banana peel (5)

Today's expert is introduced: Jay Thomas, actor and host of Sirius® radio show, via Skype(TM) from his office in Santa Barbara. Has been right 2 out of 2 times so far.

$2,000 Miami, Florida is less than 250 miles away from what Latin American capital city?
A: Mexico City
B: Santiago
C: Havana
D: Buenos Aires
Spoiler
C: Havana (19)

-- Commercial Break --

Jim and Julie have been married 14 years. Right before they got married, he gambled away his wedding ring money, so he is going to rectify that with his winnings.
Jim: I'm gonna get a nice diamond today.
Meredith: But you know what, and I'll ask Julie: Julie, I'll bet deep inside, you really don't care, do you.
Julie: Oh yeah, I'm getting an upgrade.
(laughter all around)
M: So much for the warm and fuzzy, I'm leading you into this, oh my husband, I love him, it could be, no.
Julie: 14 years.
(more laughter)
M: Oh Jim, you're in trouble.
J: I've gotta win!

$4,000 The 2008 comedy "Semi-Pro" stars Will Ferrell as a semi-pro in what sport?
A: Basketball
B: Tennis
C: Baseball
D: Hockey
Spoiler
A: Basketball (19)

$8,000 Which of these dishes is traditionally prepared in a molcajete (mole-ka-hay-tay), a heavy bowl made of volcanic rock?
A: Kimchi
B: Tzatziki
C: Baba Ganoush
D: Guacamole
Lifeline
(17) ATA: A: 18% B: 12% C: 15% D: 55%
Answer
D: Guacamole (14)

$16,000 As any Pokémon-loving kid could tell you, Pikachu is primarily what color?
A: Red
B: Yellow
C: Green
D: Blue
Lifeline
(14) ATE: His kid is a huge Japanese animé fan. He's feeling B. After trying to talk about the Japanese translation, he seems sure. But when Jim asks how sure he is, Jay yells "Don't ask me that again!" and keeps on yelling, making most everyone laugh.
Answer
B: Yellow (12)

-- Commercial Break --

Meredith asks Julie if $16K is enough for the ring upgrade. Julie says no, not good enough; raises thumb to indicate "up".

$25,000 Because it was once a seabird habitat, which of these islands derives its name from a word meaning "pelicans"?
A: Manhattan
B: Nantucket
C: Oahu
D: Alcatraz
Lifeline
(19) DD His first answer is D.
Answer
D: Alcatraz (19)

$50,000 In which of these novels is the last word of the novel the same as the title of the novel itself?
A: Lolita
B: Ulysses
C: Atonement
D: Deliverance
Spoiler
A: Lolita (7)

-- Commercial Break --

Part of his winnings (10%) will go to his church.

$100,000 Although he doesn't get as much credit, Alfred Russel Wallace proposed roughly the same major theory as what better-known scientist?
A: Niels Bohr
B: Isaac Newton
C: Charles Darwin
D: Albert Einstein
Lifeline
(38) PAF:
Friend Robert, Marietta GA, an attorney
Brother Joseph, Carthage MO, an ER doctor
Son-in-law Charles, Marietta GA, no occupation given
He calls Charles
0:30 to 0:15 Jim reads question and answers, then says "15 seconds"
0:15 to 0:12 silence
0:12 Jim: Alfred Russel Wallace was his name.
0:10 more silence
0:07 Jim: 7 seconds.
0:03 Charles: OK, it's uh,
0:01 Jim (with frantic look) Hurry!
0:00 Buzzer

Jim lets his time run down to 8 seconds then says he is taking his money. The clock stopped at 6 seconds.
He said he would have guessed B.
Answer
C: Charles Darwin (6)
Charles leaves with $50,000, with 10% going to the church and the rest toward a nice wedding band.
Horn sounds. There is no carryover contestant.

$100 A: Chilling a bottle of wine
$200 A: Egg McMuffin
$300 D: Pinball Wizard
$500 C: Everything's cool
$1,000 B: Banana peel
$2,000 C: Havana
$4,000 A: Basketball
$8,000 D: Guacamole
$16,000 B: Yellow
$25,000 D: Alcatraz
$50,000 A: Lolita
$100,000 C: Charles Darwin

Edited to remove temporary spoiler space and substitute spoiler tags, which were not available when the transcript was first posted. Also added something about Jay's acting out during his ATE.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Jim Quay (kway)
Sandy Springs, GA
Father of 4, grandfather of 2, no occupation given, but very involved in his church
Wife Julie is in the companion seat.

Question Topics:
* Big Bucks
* Heavy Medals
* George W. Bush
* Sloppy Seconds
* Novel Endings
* Island Names
* Pokémon
* Foreign Foods
* Will Ferrell
* Miami
* Composting
* Familiar Phrases
* The Who
* Mickey D's
* Entertaining Tips
Hard to know about the topics - "Will Ferrell" strikes me as a tough one, as does "Novel Endings".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 McDonald's began serving breakfast in 1973 when it introduced what item to the menu?
B: Quarter Pounder with Cheese
C: Filet-O-Fish
D: Chicken McNuggets

I happened to be working at a McDonald's in OKC when the Egg McMuffin was introduced. Our crew was told to report to another store in the city where we would see the product prepared and be allowed to sample it. There was also a plain English muffin available on the menu, and orange juice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 "He's got crazy flipper fingers" and "Never tilts at all" are lyrics from a 1969 song by The Who titled what?
A: Billiards Wizard
B: Ping-Pong Wizard
C: Bowling Wizard

Jim: (0:09) (confidently) He's a Ping-Pong Wizard. It's got to be B. (0:06) (sudden frantic expression on face) Excuse me, excuse me (0:03) Pinball wizard (0:02) Final Answer.

Meredith: Whoa, that was so close Jim, with one second, you got it, everyone breathe a sigh of relief.

Jim: I could feel the air sucked out of the room, whoa! Close! At what moment did you realize, whoops?

Jim: I started singing the song in my head, and I said, Ping-Pong Wizard?? Can't be it.

M: Pinball, you got it.

My son and daughter-in-law were watching the DVR with me. Just before the question came up he said to his wife, "You'd have to be pretty much a moron to leave with less than $1000," whereupon we almost died laughing when Jim came very close to doing just that.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jim and Julie have been married 14 years. Right before they got married, he gambled away his wedding ring money, so he is going to rectify that with his winnings.
Jim: I'm gonna get a nice diamond today.
Meredith: But you know what, and I'll ask Julie: Julie, I'll bet deep in side, you really don't care, do you.
Julie: Oh yeah, I'm getting an upgrade.
(laughter all around)
M: So much for the warm and fuzzy, I'm leading you into this, oh my husband, I love him, it could be, no.
Julie: 14 years.
(more laughter)
M: Oh Jim, you're in trouble.
J: I've gotta win!
I thought this was a pretty funny exchange.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 The 2008 comedy "Semi-Pro" stars Will Ferrell as a semi-pro in what sport?
B: Tennis
C: Baseball
D: Hockey

Surprisingly I knew this one, probably because of the cross-promotion between the movie and several products.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 Which of these dishes is traditionally prepared in a molcajete (mole-ka-hay-tay), a heavy bowl made of volcanic rock?
A: Kimchi
B: Tzatziki
C: Baba Ganoush

(17) ATA: A: 18% B: 12% C: 15% D: 55%
From the name of the bowl, it would almost have to be guacamole.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 As any Pokémon-loving kid could tell you, Pikachu is primarily what color?
A: Red
B: Yellow
C: Green
D: Blue

ATE: His kid is a huge Japanese animé fan. He's feeling B. After trying to talk about the Japanese translation, he is sure.
B: Yellow (12)
My sons were heavy into "Magic:The Gathering", a collectable card game; the company that produced this game also produced a Pokemon CCG.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith asks Julie if $16K is enough for the ring upgrade. Julie says no, not good enough; raises thumb to indicate "up".
Don't get greedy, Julie.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 In which of these novels is the last word of the novel the same as the title of the novel itself?

Jim never did say how he knew this; I certainly didn't, so it'd be time for a lifeline. This doesn't strike me as one that would be a good ATA, so I'd be using the PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 Although he doesn't get as much credit, Alfred Russel Wallace proposed roughly the same major theory as what better-known scientist?

PAF:
He calls Charles

Jim lets his time run down to 8 seconds then says he is taking his money. The clock stopped at 6 seconds. He said he would have guessed B.

No problem with this one. I wonder if the PAF was trying to Google it and just ran out of time.

I'd be going for the $250K with three lifelines still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

doitneatly

#3 Post by doitneatly » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:16 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Jim Quay (kway)
[
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 In which of these novels is the last word of the novel the same as the title of the novel itself?

Jim never did say how he knew this; I certainly didn't, so it'd be time for a lifeline. This doesn't strike me as one that would be a good ATA, so I'd be using the PAF.
In the subsequent banter with Meredith, he said it was a blind guess as he hadn't read any of these books. ("well, I read Ulysses in school because I had to", but I suspect he was recollecting Homer's Odyssey.) Did he avoid using his PAF because of the difficulty of googling this one? It helps that he had nothing to lose at the $50K level, but I give him points for chutzpah.
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 Although he doesn't get as much credit, Alfred Russel Wallace proposed roughly the same major theory as what better-known scientist?

PAF:
He calls Charles

Jim lets his time run down to 8 seconds then says he is taking his money. The clock stopped at 6 seconds. He said he would have guessed B.

No problem with this one. I wonder if the PAF was trying to Google it and just ran out of time.
That certainly sounded like a Google-pause to me. :-)
Must've been slow googling under pressure, as a search for just that name includes plenty of references to darwinism in the results page.
Last edited by doitneatly on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am

earendel wrote:

PAF:
He calls Charles

If the PAF was on a level playing field with the "Expert", Charles wouldn't have had a problem here.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:* Big Bucks
* Heavy Medals
* George W. Bush
* Sloppy Seconds
* Novel Endings
* Island Names
* Pokémon
* Foreign Foods
* Will Ferrell
* Miami
* Composting
* Familiar Phrases
* The Who
* Mickey D's
* Entertaining Tips
First ten look OK. Novel endings could be a PAF priority. Sloppy seconds? That's an odd category. And what is "heavy medals"? Could that possibly be a typo?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 Because it was once a seabird habitat, which of these islands derives its name from a word meaning "pelicans"?
A: Manhattan
B: Nantucket
C: Oahu
D: Alcatraz
Pretty sure this is a rewrite of a past $250,000 question.

$50K: Surprisingly, I knew the answer to this question.

$100K: Perfect question for a PAF. Hopefully, my PAF is not Jim Quay's son-in-law.

BBTranscriptTeam

#6 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:And what is "heavy medals"? Could that possibly be a typo?
Not by me.

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:58 am

Trouble at 8K and 16K for me just as it was for the cast member. Could double dip at 8K with fair confidence if I did not use the ATA but not sure what I would do at 16K. No trouble with 25K but 50K was another potential stumbling block. Might have to try PAF if still available. 100K was no problem at all so possible I could have made it to 250K but certainly not a sure thing. Overall a nice job by the cast member.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:31 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:* Big Bucks
* Heavy Medals
* George W. Bush
* Sloppy Seconds
* Novel Endings
* Island Names
* Pokémon
* Foreign Foods
* Will Ferrell
* Miami
* Composting
* Familiar Phrases
* The Who
* Mickey D's
* Entertaining Tips
First ten look OK. Novel endings could be a PAF priority. Sloppy seconds? That's an odd category. And what is "heavy medals"? Could that possibly be a typo?
Sounds like they let Jay Thomas write these topics. :roll:

mntetn

#9 Post by mntetn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Sounds like they let Jay Thomas write these topics.
Now there's a lifeline idea! Ask the Question Writer.
Aside to Marley:
BTW, thanks for the template.

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

#10 Post by rgcviper » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:53 am

Is the format for the spoilers, with the long columns of dots, normal on this new Bored, or is it just a one-time thing? Having to scroll down so far in the transcript was not convenient. If this format is the one to come, I suggest returning to showing the answers only at the end of the transcripts.

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

#11 Post by rgcviper » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:56 am

My mistake ... When I returned to the main page after posting my last item, the spoilers were more similar to the previous Bored, with the buttons to reveal the answers instead of the dot columns. Must have been a mistake the first time.

BBTranscriptTeam

Re: Reply to: Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

#12 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm

rgcviper wrote:My mistake ... When I returned to the main page after posting my last item, the spoilers were more similar to the previous Bored, with the buttons to reveal the answers instead of the dot columns. Must have been a mistake the first time.
Not a mistake on either side. The spoiler space was a temporary workaround. Spoiler tags were not implemented on the new upgrade until later this morning.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Reply to: Transcript 10/08/08 - Jim Quay

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:45 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
rgcviper wrote:My mistake ... When I returned to the main page after posting my last item, the spoilers were more similar to the previous Bored, with the buttons to reveal the answers instead of the dot columns. Must have been a mistake the first time.
Not a mistake on either side. The spoiler space was a temporary workaround. Spoiler tags were not implemented on the new upgrade until later this morning.

Excuse the mess while tubadave finishes the redecorating, rgcviper! :)

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 am

Not a great stack, but not too bad. I tune out Will Farrell movies, so ATA on that one. And I missed the Spanish pronunciation on the volcanic bowl. If I catch it from the hot seat, not a problem. If not, I'd go ATE, saving the PAF for more certain knowledge bases.

Otherwise, no problemo. I have read Lolita, and would have had a big grin for the Wallace/Darwin question. $250 Q coming up with at least PAF and DD left.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.