Transcript 11/12/07 Melissa Donahue

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/12/07 Melissa Donahue

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 pm

TV Week

Melissa Donahue
Newport, RI

Melissa owes TV for her first crush, Tom Selleck in “Magnum”, and the people she calls her friends.
Melissa watches three to four hours of TV a day.

$100 TVLand’s 2006 list of the greatest TV catchphrases includes what entry form “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”?
A. De plane! De plane!
B. Is that your final answer?
C. Live long and prosper
D. This check better not bounce

$200 As a signal to her grandmother, what did Carol Burnett do at the end of each episode of her classic variety show?
A. Do a pirouette
B. Click her heels
C. Ruffle her hair
D. Tug her ear

$300 What TV series’ opening credits usually feature the motto “The Truth Is Out There’?
A. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
B. The X-Files
C. Unsolved Mysteries
D. Touched by an Angel

$500 “21 Jump Street” featured undercover cops typically disguised as what?
A. Pro athletes
B. Soldiers
C. Musicians
D. High school students

ATA

2% A. Pro athletes
0% B. Soldiers
5% C. Musicians
93% D. High school students

All this week, the $1K question will be a TV theme song question.
Meredith will read the question and then the audience will sing part of a theme song.

$1K The following upbeat lyrics are featured in the theme song for what sitcom?
[singing] Fish don’t fry in the kitchen, Beans don’t burn on the grill. Took a whole lotta tryin’, Just to get up that hill.[/singing]
A. The Jeffersons
B. The Facts of Life
C. Mr. Belvedere
D. Good Times

$2K On the HBO series “Entourage,” Vincent Chase stars in a fictional James Cameron movie about what superhero?
A. Hawkman
B. Green Lantern
C. Aquaman
D. Captain America

PAF – Rachel, a friend of Melissa’s

After Melissa gives the choices, someone almost immediately says “Aquaman.”
Rachel says “Aquaman, it’s Kim and she’s certain.”

$4K Which of these TV shows featured a title character who became pregnant at the age of forty-seven.
A. Alice
B. Rhoda
C. Maude
D. Phyllis

50/50 leaves C. Maude and D. Phyllis.

commercial break

In honor of TV Week, “Millionaire” is giving the contestants and audience copies the new DVD “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” game.

$8K On his show’s pilot episode, what TV dad issued the warning, ‘I am your father. I brought you in this world, and I’ll take you out’?
A. Heathcliff Huxtable
B. Al Bundy
C. Raymond Barone
D. Tim Taylor

$16K What is the name of the fictional advertising agency featured on the acclaimed AMC series “Mad Men”?
A. Spiffy Smythe
B. Jackson Pace
C. Whitney Mayfair
D. Sterling Cooper

Melissa doesn’t know, but decides to take a guess. She seems to be leaning toward Jackson Pace, but them makes one of the others her final answer.

$25K Which of these celebrities has never appeared as a guest judge on “American Idol”?
A. Gladys Knight
B. Dolly Parton
C. Olivia Newton-John
D. Kenny Loggins

commercial break

$50K Who is Lee Stetson?
A. The Fatman in ‘Jake & the Fatman”
B. Wiseguy on “Wiseguy”
C. The Man in “Chico & the Man”
D. Scarecrow in “Scarecrow & Mrs. King”

STQ

$50K A classic episode of “Cheers” features Coach singing a song about Albania to the tune of what standard?
A. Auld Lang Syne
B. When the Saints Go Marching In
C. God Bless America
D. For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow

$100K The dramatic 1967 series finale of “The Fugitive” culminates with Dr. Kimble fighting the one-armed man in what location?
A. Cruise ship
B. Graveyard
C. Amusement park
D. Movie theater

commercial break

$250K In an odd ratings gimmick, which of these legal shows once allowed home viewers to vote for the guilty party by calling a 900 number?
A. JAG
B. Matlock
C. Ally McBeal
D. L.A. Law

Melissa decides to leave with $100K.

horn

Answers:
$100 B. Is that your final answer?
$200 D. Tugs her ear
$300 B. The X-Files
$500 D. High school students
$1K A. The Jeffersons
$2K C. Aquaman
$4K C. Maude
$8K A. Heathcliff Huxtable
$16K D. Sterling Cooper
$25K B. Dolly Parton
$50K D. Scarecrow in “Scarecrow & Mrs. King”
$50K B. When the Saints Go Marching In
$100K C. Amusement park
$250K B. Matlock
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 11/12/07 Melissa Donahue

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:49 pm

$2K: Never watched this show, so ATA.

$16K: Never heard of this show, so PAF.

$50K: Good idea on using the STQ.

$250K: JAG and Ally McBeal are too recent for me to recall either of them using a 900 number. To me, the option of "Matlock" seemed so out in left field that it probably would be the right answer. 50:50 it and hope that "L.A. Law" goes away. If it does, I'm going for $500K. If not, I'm walking with $100K.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by ontellen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:15 pm

These were some very difficult questions even for a TV junkie like me.

However, the one I knew immediately was the Mad Men one. This is the best new TV show since 6 Feet Under.

She did a great job.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:47 am

I didn't think she was going to do this well.

Good for her.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:TV Week
Oh, joy!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Melissa watches three to four hours of TV a day.[/i]
That's all? Heck, my DVR has three or four hours per day of stuff to watch.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 “21 Jump Street” featured undercover cops typically disguised as what?
A. Pro athletes
B. Soldiers
C. Musicians
D. High school students
This is the show that Johnny Depp got his start on.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:All this week, the $1K question will be a TV theme song question. Meredith will read the question and then the audience will sing part of a theme song.
Hoorah! 200 people trying to sing a theme song, probably off-key.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K On the HBO series “Entourage,” Vincent Chase stars in a fictional James Cameron movie about what superhero?
A. Hawkman
B. Green Lantern
C. Aquaman
D. Captain America
I've never seen the show, but this question has been asked before, it seems to me, because I knew the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K Which of these TV shows featured a title character who became pregnant at the age A. Alice
B. Rhoda
C. Maude
D. Phyllis
This was a controversial show in its day because it was the first (or among the first) to openly discuss abortion.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K On his show’s pilot episode, what TV dad issued the warning, ‘I am your father. I brought you in this world, and I’ll take you out’?
A. Heathcliff Huxtable
B. Al Bundy
C. Raymond Barone
D. Tim Taylor
To me this is one of the top 10 episodes of any sitcom in history. Cliff explaining to Theo "real people" using Monopoly money, Theo's plaintive, "Can't you love me even though I'm a 'C' student?" followed by Cliff's retort, "Theo, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard!" and the end of the show, when Vanessa and Rudy knock on the door and then come in. Cliff says that they are supposed to knock and wait for someone to ask, "Who is it" and they're supposed to say who it is. They close the door, knock, and Cliff asks, "Who is it?", to which the two girls reply, "Who it is!"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K What is the name of the fictional advertising agency featured on the acclaimed AMC series “Mad Men”?
A. Spiffy Smythe
B. Jackson Pace
C. Whitney Mayfair
D. Sterling Cooper
OK, time for a lifeline. I've heard of the show, I know it's on AMC and it's about ad men in the 60s, but have no idea what the agency is. Time to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Which of these celebrities has never appeared as a guest judge on “American Idol”?
A. Gladys Knight
B. Dolly Parton
C. Olivia Newton-John
D. Kenny Loggins
Again, I don't watch this show, so it's time to use the 50/50 because I think it might be Dolly Parton. Do they even do a week devoted to country music?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Who is Lee Stetson?
B. Wiseguy on “Wiseguy”
From my recliner I guessed the right answer but in the Hot Seat it would be time for another lifeline. So let's go with STQ as Melissa did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K A classic episode of “Cheers” features Coach singing a song about Albania to the tune of what standard?
A. Auld Lang Syne
C. God Bless America
Much better. I know this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K The dramatic 1967 series finale of “The Fugitive” culminates with Dr. Kimble fighting the one-armed man in what location?
A. Cruise ship
B. Graveyard
C. Amusement park
D. Movie theater
Did the movie end the same way?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K In an odd ratings gimmick, which of these legal shows once allowed home viewers to vote for the guilty party by calling a 900 number?
A. JAG
B. Matlock
C. Ally McBeal
D. L.A. Law
I still have PAF left and it's time to use it. Somehow it sounds like something that would have been done on Ally McBeal, since it was a quirky show, but I wouldn't have been willing to gamble. I don't know how one would go about Googling this one.
Last edited by earendel on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:TV Week
Ugh!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 TVLand’s 2006 list of the greatest TV catchphrases includes what entry form “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”?
A. De plane! De plane!
B. Is that your final answer?
C. Live long and prosper
D. This check better not bounce
Yet, ironically, Meredith never uses this entire phrase. Although she did this time. :roll:

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:All this week, the $1K question will be a TV theme song question.
Meredith will read the question and then the audience will sing part of a theme song.

$1K The following upbeat lyrics are featured in the theme song for what sitcom?
[singing] Fish don’t fry in the kitchen, Beans don’t burn on the grill. Took a whole lotta tryin’, Just to get up that hill.[/singing]
A. The Jeffersons
B. The Facts of Life
C. Mr. Belvedere
D. Good Times
And Meredith compliments the audience on what great voices they have. Don't ever try guest hosting on American Idol, Meredith. :roll:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K Which of these TV shows featured a title character who became pregnant at the age A. Alice
B. Rhoda
C. Maude
D. Phyllis
Did Maude become pregnant during the show? I don't remember this.

And I won't even bother with listing all the other answers I don't know, although I did have the right hunch on a couple...

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:30 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K The dramatic 1967 series finale of “The Fugitive” culminates with Dr. Kimble fighting the one-armed man in what location?
A. Cruise ship
B. Graveyard
C. Amusement park
D. Movie theater
Did the movie end the same way?
No.
Spoiler
I don't know what the motivation of the one-armed man was on the TV show, but in the movie he's working for a corrupt doctor trying to cover up tampering with some new drug testing. The show-down takes place in a hotel, after this doctor has been publically confronted.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:39 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Did Maude become pregnant during the show? I don't remember this.
Yes, she did. And she and her husband openly discussed the possibility of her having an abortion (Wikipedia says that the show aired two months before Roe v. Wade was handed down, although they were legal in New York, where the sitcom was located).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:04 am

Melissa Donahue
Newport, RI
Did they ever say what she did for a living?
Melissa owes TV for her first crush,

So do I. The late, great Shari Lewis. Cute, funny, and a rabbi's daughter. How could a good Jewish boy NOT love her?
$2K On the HBO series “Entourage,” Vincent Chase stars in a fictional James Cameron movie about what superhero?
A. Hawkman
B. Green Lantern
C. Aquaman
D. Captain America
NAC. ATA for me.
$8K On his show’s pilot episode, what TV dad issued the warning, ‘I am your father. I brought you in this world, and I’ll take you out’?
A. Heathcliff Huxtable
B. Al Bundy
C. Raymond Barone
D. Tim Taylor
Classic Cosby, right from his early routines. In the standup bit, it's Bill's father talking to him.
$16K What is the name of the fictional advertising agency featured on the acclaimed AMC series “Mad Men”?
A. Spiffy Smythe
B. Jackson Pace
C. Whitney Mayfair
D. Sterling Cooper
NAC again. Recent TV will kill me when I'm on. 50/50 wouldn't help, so PAF.
$25K Which of these celebrities has never appeared as a guest judge on “American Idol”?
A. Gladys Knight
B. Dolly Parton
C. Olivia Newton-John
D. Kenny Loggins
As I said, recent TV. 50/50 and pray, though sitting here in front of my computer, I was thinking Dolly Parton.
$50K Who is Lee Stetson?
B. Wiseguy on “Wiseguy”
No problemo. A favorite when it was on. Remote ancestor of "Chuck", with a spy working with a regular person of the opposite sex and a love interest developing. Didn't they get married toward the end of the series?
STQ

$50K A classic episode of “Cheers” features Coach singing a song about Albania to the tune of what standard?
A. Auld Lang Syne
C. God Bless America
Never see this one, which is good, because I have no idea. Dunno why I can't recall an early "Cheers" with such a memorable Coach bit.
$100K The dramatic 1967 series finale of “The Fugitive” culminates with Dr. Kimble fighting the one-armed man in what location?
A. Cruise ship
B. Graveyard
C. Amusement park
D. Movie theater
Ah, my BOK, '60's TV. Easy for me, and still one of the most watched episodes of series television.
$250K In an odd ratings gimmick, which of these legal shows once allowed home viewers to vote for the guilty party by calling a 900 number?
A. JAG
B. Matlock
C. Ally McBeal
D. L.A. Law
Gamble, or STQ? Was leaning toward Matlock, but at this level, it's likely that I'd have switched out and then kicked myself for not going for it.

Nice stack, good play. Let's hope the rest of the week is as good.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:59 pm

Here's an article about Melissa's appearance.

http://www.newportdailynews.com/article ... /news4.txt
She filmed her appearance at ABC studios in New York on Oct. 25 and had to keep the result a secret until Monday.
So that's when we missed the party. I wonder if the audience got a piece of that confetti-covered cake?

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
She filmed her appearance at ABC studios in New York on Oct. 25 and had to keep the result a secret until Monday.
So that's when we missed the party. I wonder if the audience got a piece of that confetti-covered cake?
D'oh!

Melissa was part of TV Week, not Grand Giveaway Week, so this was the audience that was in line for the new DVD game, not the cake.

And these contestants got bumped far up in the airing order, compared to the regular edition contestants.

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:38 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's an article about Melissa's appearance.

http://www.newportdailynews.com/article ... /news4.txt
Hmmm. I attended the taping on October 18th. So I wonder when that piece of confetti that fell from the rafters during a break was from? And why? Intriguing ...

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:44 pm

gsabc wrote: Hmmm. I attended the taping on October 18th. So I wonder when that piece of confetti that fell from the rafters during a break was from? And why? Intriguing ...
See my follow-up post above: Oct. 25 was when they taped TV Week.

The confetti you saw must have come from that 1000 episode celebration. If there had been $1 million winner, they'd have certainly bumped that up to kick off sweeps week instead of Lyn's $500K run.

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote: Hmmm. I attended the taping on October 18th. So I wonder when that piece of confetti that fell from the rafters during a break was from? And why? Intriguing ...
See my follow-up post above: Oct. 25 was when they taped TV Week.

The confetti you saw must have come from that 1000 episode celebration. If there had been $1 million winner, they'd have certainly bumped that up to kick off sweeps week instead of Lyn's $500K run.
Duh! My brain must have been on its rest break.

But then, there are still two more ratings sweeps months to go in the season. One has the Play to Pay for your Wedding week (starting February 4th), but May is still open, as far as we know. Long time to wait for your check, but it's possible.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 pm

gsabc wrote:But then, there are still two more ratings sweeps months to go in the season. One has the Play to Pay for your Wedding week (starting February 4th), but May is still open, as far as we know. Long time to wait for your check, but it's possible.
This would be a producer's delayed gratification test: If they have their first $1M winner since the first season taped, do they wait to show it in the February or May sweeps (or during its normal taping order) or do they push it up right away for the November sweeps?

I know what my guess would be. :wink:

gsabc

#16 Post by gsabc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:27 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:But then, there are still two more ratings sweeps months to go in the season. One has the Play to Pay for your Wedding week (starting February 4th), but May is still open, as far as we know. Long time to wait for your check, but it's possible.
This would be a producer's delayed gratification test: If they have their first $1M winner since the first season taped, do they wait to show it in the February or May sweeps (or during its normal taping order) or do they push it up right away for the November sweeps?

I know what my guess would be. :wink:
Mebbe so, but when did Lyn tape her show, early or late in the taping sessions? With the 1000th-episode week already scheduled for November along with TV week, and with Wedding week scheduled for February, what's left to boost May ratings?

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:30 pm

gsabc wrote: With the 1000th-episode week already scheduled for November along with TV week, and with Wedding week scheduled for February, what's left to boost May ratings?
Movie Week?