top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:03 am

It was a very busy weekend - as I posted earlier we went to the Extreme Makeover site on Saturday. I wanted to go back again yesterday but had no transportation (we have only one car, and elwing took it to work since our son, who works with her, needed to loan his car to his younger brother, the one who just got married). So I chilled out at home and caught up on all the TV shows that I had DVRed.

Saturday night a team from our church participated in a local high school's trivia contest fund-raiser. We placed 2nd, behind the school's quick recall team, and only by a point.

One of the categories was called "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?" and featured questions such as:

What is the longest river in the U.S.?
What metal is the best conductor of electricity?

The most difficult question (one that our team missed) was in a category called "Numbers". There were 10 questions, and each answer was a number 1-10. The question we missed was:

How many presidents are depicted on U.S. currency currently in circulation?
Spoiler
The answer is "9". It turns out that it's a trick question - the $2 has a reproduction of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and that picture portrays several (future) presidents who don't appear as portraits on the bill's face.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#2 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 am

earendel wrote:The most difficult question (one that our team missed) was in a category called "Numbers". There were 10 questions, and each answer was a number 1-10. The question we missed was:

Spoiler
The answer is "9". It turns out that it's a trick question - the $2 has a reproduction of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and that picture portrays several (future) presidents who don't appear as portraits on the bill's face.
Spoiler
Ooh, that's an evil question. I know the painting, but wouldn't have a clue about which were presidents. Are there really that many future presidents in the group? I only get four on the front of the bills (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Grant; Hamilton and Franklin weren't presidents, and there's nothing in circulation above the $100.).
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:47 am

gsabc wrote:
earendel wrote:The most difficult question (one that our team missed) was in a category called "Numbers". There were 10 questions, and each answer was a number 1-10. The question we missed was:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Ooh, that's an evil question. I know the painting, but wouldn't have a clue about which were presidents. Are there really that many future presidents in the group? I only get four on the front of the bills (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Grant; Hamilton and Franklin weren't presidents, and there's nothing in circulation above the $100.).
Spoiler
I don't know for sure. We came up with 6 presidents - Washington ($1), Jefferson ($2), Lincoln ($5), Jackson($20), Grant ($50) and Cleveland ($1000) - we weren't sure whether $1K notes were still in circulation or not. Unfortunately the answer "6" had already been taken (the number of points on a Star of David), and we were left with either "8" or "9" as possible answers. The other question was how many people could the space shuttle hold. With respect to the picture, I would guess that Madison, Monroe and the two Adams' would bring the total up to nine (the correct answer).

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 am

Spoiler
Besides the reverse of the $2 bill, there are the presidential dollar coins now. I don't know how many have been officially released; I've only seen Washington and Adams. And that was from diligently searching for those coins at my bank.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:52 am

Spoiler
And don't forget Roosevelt on the dime.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
Besides the reverse of the $2 bill, there are the presidential dollar coins now. I don't know how many have been officially released; I've only seen Washington and Adams. And that was from diligently searching for those coins at my bank.
The question asked for currency, as distinct from coins. Upon reflection, the question may have specified paper money.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 am

earendel wrote:Saturday night a team from our church participated in a local high school's trivia contest fund-raiser. We placed 2nd, behind the school's quick recall team, and only by a point.

One of the categories was called "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?" and featured questions such as:

I am curious what your answer was?

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:03 am

Appa23 wrote:
earendel wrote:Saturday night a team from our church participated in a local high school's trivia contest fund-raiser. We placed 2nd, behind the school's quick recall team, and only by a point.

My answer was "it doesn't have a name" because technically it doesn't. According to the "rules", the longest river would be the Missouri until it reaches St. Louis, then whatever one would call the Lower Mississippi (since the Upper Mississippi is smaller than the Missouri and thus would technically be a tributary, not the main stream). But since that wasn't an option, the consensus was to go with "Missouri", which was the right answer.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:05 am

earendel wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

My answer was "it doesn't have a name" because technically it doesn't. According to the "rules", the longest river would be the Missouri until it reaches St. Louis, then whatever one would call the Lower Mississippi (since the Upper Mississippi is smaller than the Missouri and thus would technically be a tributary, not the main stream). But since that wasn't an option, the consensus was to go with "Missouri", which was the right answer.
OK. I wondered if TPTB tried to say that it was the Mississippi River. (You may recall that it was a disputed question on SyndiBam Season 2 or 3).

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:39 am

earendel wrote:
gsabc wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I don't know for sure. We came up with 6 presidents - Washington ($1), Jefferson ($2), Lincoln ($5), Jackson($20), Grant ($50) and Cleveland ($1000) - we weren't sure whether $1K notes were still in circulation or not. Unfortunately the answer "6" had already been taken (the number of points on a Star of David), and we were left with either "8" or "9" as possible answers. The other question was how many people could the space shuttle hold. With respect to the picture, I would guess that Madison, Monroe and the two Adams' would bring the total up to nine (the correct answer).
Spoiler
I forgot about Jackson (mentally went right from the $10 to the $50), but the $1000 is no longer in circulation. I don't know where they get four more presidents, or even three, on the back of the $2 bill. Neither Madison nor Monroe are in the painting (present at the Constitutional Convention, but not at the Declaration of Independence signing), and JQ Adams was nine years old in 1776. I only get John Adams, unless they counted some of those pre-Washington "presidents".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumbull%2 ... dependence
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 am

earendel wrote: My answer was "it doesn't have a name" because technically it doesn't. According to the "rules", the longest river would be the Missouri until it reaches St. Louis, then whatever one would call the Lower Mississippi (since the Upper Mississippi is smaller than the Missouri and thus would technically be a tributary, not the main stream). But since that wasn't an option, the consensus was to go with "Missouri", which was the right answer.
I keep telling my husband that all the seas and oceans are part of the same body of water and to make it easier for people to remember, everything should just be called the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.

He doesn't like my idea.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: I keep telling my husband that all the seas and oceans are part of the same body of water and to make it easier for people to remember, everything should just be called the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.
Or simply "The Ocean".

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:13 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: I keep telling my husband that all the seas and oceans are part of the same body of water and to make it easier for people to remember, everything should just be called the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.
Or simply "The Ocean".
Sounds good to me.

TheSearchIsOn

#14 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 am

What metal is the best conductor of electricity?

The most difficult question (one that our team missed) was in a category called "Numbers". There were 10 questions, and each answer was a number 1-10. The question we missed was:

Spoiler
Interesting, Miss Cheesecake and I were also at an event like this on Saturday night. And we also had categories for 5th Grader and Numbers. And the 5th Grader category included both of the questions you mentioned. However, our Numbers category did not include the question about presidents.

Numbers was one of two categories for which we got perfect scores. The other was Lyrics. Our Numbers category included the following questions:

What is the Spanish word for the number 12?

What symbol represents the number 100 in Roman numerals?

If you take 15 apples out of a barrel of 200 apples, how many apples do you have?

How many chambers are there in the human heart?

How many seconds are there in a day?

If Michael is 2 years older than Victoria and the sum of their ages is 106, how old is Victoria? (Those may not be the names they used)

If a student gets 23 answers correct out of 27 questions on a test, what percentage (rounded to the nearest whole number) did they get right?

There was also a division question where we had to determine what the remainder would be and another question where we had to give the median value for a sequence of numbers.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:05 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote: If you take 15 apples out of a barrel of 200 apples, how many apples do you have?
You have 15.

The barrel has 185. :P

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:05 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote:Interesting, Miss Cheesecake and I were also at an event like this on Saturday night. And we also had categories for 5th Grader and Numbers. And the 5th Grader category included both of the questions you mentioned. However, our Numbers category did not include the question about presidents.
How bizarre! We were at Male High School - where were you?
TheSearchIsOn wrote:Numbers was one of two categories for which we got perfect scores. The other was Lyrics. Our Numbers category included the following questions:

What is the Spanish word for the number 12?
doce
TheSearchIsOn wrote:What symbol represents the number 100 in Roman numerals?
C
TheSearchIsOn wrote:If you take 15 apples out of a barrel of 200 apples, how many apples do you have?
I have 15 apples. The barrel has 185.
TheSearchIsOn wrote:How many chambers are there in the human heart?
TheSearchIsOn wrote:How many seconds are there in a day?
TheSearchIsOn wrote:If Michael is 2 years older than Victoria and the sum of their ages is 106, how old is Victoria? (Those may not be the names they used)
52 and 54
TheSearchIsOn wrote:If a student gets 23 answers correct out of 27 questions on a test, what percentage (rounded to the nearest whole number) did they get right?
85%

Appa23

#17 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:10 am

earendel wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

From what I have been told, if the "rules" were followed, the lower portion of the "Mississippi" River actually should be called the Missouri. As you noted, b/c the Missouri River is much longer than the Mississippi River at their confluence, it takes on the name of the longer river, and the Mississippi is a tributary of the Missouri.

When they talk about the world's longest rivers, it often is noted as "Mississippi/Missouri River system".

TheSearchIsOn

#18 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:24 am

earendel wrote:
TheSearchIsOn wrote:Interesting, Miss Cheesecake and I were also at an event like this on Saturday night. And we also had categories for 5th Grader and Numbers. And the 5th Grader category included both of the questions you mentioned. However, our Numbers category did not include the question about presidents.
How bizarre! We were at Male High School - where were you?
We were at St. Pius X Catholic Community on Goldsmith Lane. Our other categories were Sports, Cooking, Slogans, Black and White TV, In the Year, People and Faces, and a ninth category that slips my mind right now. The "10th category" consisted of bonus points that could be obtained in part by decorating your table. There were also points given out pretty much randomly. Three times during the event they called out five table numbers. Those tables had to each send a representative up to the front of the room and be seated. Then the host asked one question and he awarded three points to the team whose representative stood up first and answered the question correctly. Our table was never called upon.

In the category "In the Year", the host would give us an event and we had to give the year that event took place. We nailed six of the ten. Three of the other four we were off by only one year.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:17 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
TheSearchIsOn wrote: If you take 15 apples out of a barrel of 200 apples, how many apples do you have?
You have 15.

The barrel has 185. :P
You may have 200. It didn't say it isn't your barrel! :D

tanstaafl2

#20 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am

earendel wrote:

Spoiler
The answer is not accurate if it specified only "paper money" presently in circulation. There are only two presidents on the reverse of the $2 bill, Jefferson and Adams, in the portion of Trumball's "The Declaration of Independence" represented there unless perhaps you count the prior Continental Congress Presidents which I did not check. That would not seem a particularly fair question if it did count them.

So:
$1 Washington
$2 Jefferson (Adams on reverse)
$5 Lincoln
$20 Jackson
$50 Grant

$10 Hamilton and $100 Franklin are not presidents and no other bills remain in current circulation ($500 McKinley, $1,000 Grover Cleveland, $5,000 James Madison, $10,000 Salmon P. Chase who is not a president of course and the $100,000 had Woodrow Wilson)

That is only 6.

Add coins, which are certainly also currency, and you get:
1¢ Lincoln
5¢ Jefferson
10¢ FDR
25¢ Washington
50¢ Kennedy
$1 Washington, Adams and Jefferson (Monroe comes out on 15 NOV)

That adds only two new names, FDR and Kennedy, for a total of 8. There is the Eisenhower $1 coin which is still "in circulation" and considered legal tender but not being produced and that would make 9.

Certainly a very difficult question! And because Adams is now on the Presidential $1 coin the back of the $2 bill makes no difference.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:12 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:The answer is not accurate if it specified only "paper money" presently in circulation. There are only two presidents on the reverse of the $2 bill, Jefferson and Adams, in the portion of Trumball's "The Declaration of Independence" represented there unless perhaps you count the prior Continental Congress Presidents which I did not check. That would not seem a particularly fair question if it did count them.

So:
$1 Washington
$5 Lincoln
$20 Jackson
$50 Grant

$10 Hamilton and $100 Franklin are not presidents and no other bills remain in current circulation ($500 McKinley, $1,000 Grover Cleveland, $5,000 James Madison, $10,000 Salmon P. Chase who is not a president of course and the $100,000 had Woodrow Wilson)

That is only 6.

1¢ Lincoln
5¢ Jefferson
10¢ FDR
25¢ Washington
50¢ Kennedy

That adds only two new names, FDR and Kennedy, for a total of 8. There is the Eisenhower $1 coin which is still "in circulation" and considered legal tender but not being produced and that would make 9.

Certainly a very difficult question! And because Adams is now on the Presidential $1 coin the back of the $2 bill makes no difference.
It was a bad question, and there were some complaints. The $2 was held up with the reverse showing to explain how the number came to 9. Not that it would have helped - the quick recall team missed it also.

tanstaafl2

#22 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 pm

earendel wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:The answer is not accurate if it specified only "paper money" presently in circulation. There are only two presidents on the reverse of the $2 bill, Jefferson and Adams, in the portion of Trumball's "The Declaration of Independence" represented there unless perhaps you count the prior Continental Congress Presidents which I did not check. That would not seem a particularly fair question if it did count them.

So:
$1 Washington
$5 Lincoln
$20 Jackson
$50 Grant

That is only 6.

1¢ Lincoln
5¢ Jefferson
10¢ FDR
25¢ Washington
50¢ Kennedy

It was a bad question, and there were some complaints. The $2 was held up with the reverse showing to explain how the number came to 9. Not that it would have helped - the quick recall team missed it also.
The back of the bill does indeed include 3 men who served as President of the United States in Congress Assembled, John Hancock, Samuel Huntington and Richard Henry Lee. There is a fourth in the original painting, Thomas McKean, but he is left off of the back of the $2 bill.

That would make 9 on paper currency, sort of.

Depending on how the question was phrased I guess it could be accurate although the position they filled was not the same as the current office of the President of the United States so I agree it seems likely that it was a poor question indeed!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

TheSearchIsOn

#23 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:17 pm

I was mistaken earlier. The event that I attended was on Friday night, not Saturday. I guess those that attended both events did pretty well on the repeat questions.

Rob