Fred Claus?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#26 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 am

Otto Censor wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I do wonder what I was thinking.

assumed

amused

There not even really close.
If you keep lifting that skirt young lady, you WILL be easily assumed!
bite me, old man

Four Hour Stiffy
Merry Man

#27 Post by Four Hour Stiffy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 am

Is someone looking for some easy amusement? I love the smell of vinegar and flowers in the morning...
BOOOIIIIIINNNGGGGG!!!!!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#28 Post by kayrharris » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:14 am

It's truly amazing what we can do with a thread that started out with a question about Santa. :shock:

kusch

#29 Post by kusch » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:15 am

peacock2121 wrote:I have only ever douched one thing in my whole life.

We would do house cleaning, including the edges, but, nope, just only douched one thing.
This thread brings back memories from the college days. It really never bothered me, but I thought it was in bad taste when females were around.

Kusch-Douche---you get the picture. One of the nicknames from back then was DoucheBag.

And then there was one of the drinking songs:

Kusch Kusch Kusch he really makes me want to douche. And that from the drunk females at the party..

Enough, I am done.

peacock2121

#30 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:41 am

kusch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I have only ever douched one thing in my whole life.

We would do house cleaning, including the edges, but, nope, just only douched one thing.
This thread brings back memories from the college days. It really never bothered me, but I thought it was in bad taste when females were around.

Kusch-Douche---you get the picture. One of the nicknames from back then was DoucheBag.

And then there was one of the drinking songs:

Kusch Kusch Kusch he really makes me want to douche. And that from the drunk females at the party..

Enough, I am done.
Poor kusch.

I bet if you did your Nickolson impression it all woulda been okay.

silverscreenselect

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:58 am

The movie is fairly harmless and it tones down Vince Vaughn's sarcastic brand of humor considerably (probably too much for adults to enjoy, which explains its rather poor box office showing). Instead, there's dancing with elves and snowball fights.

The film is baed on the hypothesis that Santa is real and about 500 years old and that after he became a saint, he and his whole family became immortal. So now he and Mrs. Claus and Ma and Pa Claus live at the North Pole and supervise the elves while big brother Fred is pretty much messing up his life as a repo man and con artist in modern day Chicago.

I don't know how much the movie would mess up kids' value structures, but it does try to explain the entire Santa mythos, the naughty/nice lists, the reindeer, the cookie eating, the chimneys and all and it is about as harmless as this type of film can be.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#32 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:59 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:It makes me happy to see a thread started by HoltDad about a kid movie turn into a thread about douching.

I am easily assumed.

I once had an 8 week tour stocking the Health and Beauty Aids department. I'll take the bleach and detergent spills anyday over trying to find which box of Massengill on the shelf is creating the puddle on the floor....

Of course, THOSE products have since been moved to the Pharmacy area....

lb13
I took Emma to Target on Saturday. Target has rearranged their stock so the tampons, maxi-pads, douching products, Vagisil, condoms, pregnancy tests and personal lubricants are all on the same aisle.

As we approached the aisle, I called it the "Aisle of Embarassment," Emma asked me why and I explained the items to her. I told her that it's full of products that men like to avoid purchasing.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#33 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:01 am

kusch wrote:
Sometimes the stupid patients are referred to as Douchetards. When Jeff hears the name said he usually responds, "it's not Douchetard, it's Suchard" as if the residents are talking about him.

Appa23

#34 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The movie is fairly harmless and it tones down Vince Vaughn's sarcastic brand of humor considerably (probably too much for adults to enjoy, which explains its rather poor box office showing). Instead, there's dancing with elves and snowball fights.

The film is baed on the hypothesis that Santa is real and about 500 years old and that after he became a saint, he and his whole family became immortal. So now he and Mrs. Claus and Ma and Pa Claus live at the North Pole and supervise the elves while big brother Fred is pretty much messing up his life as a repo man and con artist in modern day Chicago.

I don't know how much the movie would mess up kids' value structures, but it does try to explain the entire Santa mythos, the naughty/nice lists, the reindeer, the cookie eating, the chimneys and all and it is about as harmless as this type of film can be.
Thanks for the response, SSS. From the reviews that I read on-line, we likely would not have taken him to see this movie. Of course, it would take more than a Vince Vaughn character of questionable morality to make a dent in his value structure.

I am wondering if the birthday boy's parents picked the movie because "it was about Santa", without any further investigation.

Hmm, I thought that all of the backstory about Santa and his reindeer already were covered by the Rudolph and Kris Kringle claymation specials that still run on ABC Family. :lol:

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#35 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:00 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:It makes me happy to see a thread started by HoltDad about a kid movie turn into a thread about douching.

I am easily assumed.

I once had an 8 week tour stocking the Health and Beauty Aids department. I'll take the bleach and detergent spills anyday over trying to find which box of Massengill on the shelf is creating the puddle on the floor....

lb13
I took Emma to Target on Saturday. Target has rearranged their stock so the tampons, maxi-pads, douching products, Vagisil, condoms, pregnancy tests and personal lubricants are all on the same aisle.

As we approached the aisle, I called it the "Aisle of Embarassment," Emma asked me why and I explained the items to her. I told her that it's full of products that men like to avoid purchasing.
I am proud to say that I have been down that aisle, and bought "products" at my wife's request. Of course, I immediately went down the next 3 neighboring aisles, throwing stuff in the cart without even looking at it, to cover what should have been the only item I purchased.

So, does anyone need a 3 year-old package of size 2 diapers?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#36 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:04 pm

I sent Sting one time to buy tampons. He went with my former son-in-law. He was a bit stuffy. Sting was loud and brash and talked way too loud and kept asking "What size did she say?" "Do you know they have Super and Super Plus?"

FSIL was pissed.

Sting was amused.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#37 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

I am proud to say that I have been down that aisle, and bought "products" at my wife's request. Of course, I immediately went down the next 3 neighboring aisles, throwing stuff in the cart without even looking at it, to cover what should have been the only item I purchased.

They would go nicely with the jar of pickled pigs' feet we have and 1000 count box of sporks.
Well, then

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#38 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: I took Emma to Target on Saturday. Target has rearranged their stock so the tampons, maxi-pads, douching products, Vagisil, condoms, pregnancy tests and personal lubricants are all on the same aisle.

They would go nicely with the jar of pickled pigs' feet we have and 1000 count box of sporks.
So how come no one has invented the foon yet?
Not to mention the fife, the knork, the spife or the knoon.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

earendel

#39 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:They would go nicely with the jar of pickled pigs' feet we have and 1000 count box of sporks.
One of my favorite M*A*S*H episodes is the one where all the folks at the 4077th pitch in for a buffet for the orphans. It's the episode where Charles gives the chocolates anonymously to the children. Anyway, the kids are going through the line accompanied by Klinger and they encounter Rizzo, who's putting something on his plate. Klinger asks what it is and Rizzo replies, "pigs' feet and hogs' jowls. The best of the bayou." When the child turns up her nose at the fare, Rizzo remarks, "Must be from North Korea."
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#40 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Rexer25 wrote: So, does anyone need a 3 year-old package of size 2 diapers?
Where were you 6 months ago? :x

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#41 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote: I am proud to say that I have been down that aisle, and bought "products" at my wife's request. Of course, I immediately went down the next 3 neighboring aisles, throwing stuff in the cart without even looking at it, to cover what should have been the only item I purchased.

So how come no one has invented the foon yet?
Not to mention the fife, the knork, the spife or the knoon.
I think I could become quite enamored of the knork and the knoon. Hey diddle diddle the cat and the knork, the know jumped over the knoon.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#42 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Appa23 wrote:Thanks for the response, SSS. From the reviews that I read on-line, we likely would not have taken him to see this movie. Of course, it would take more than a Vince Vaughn character of questionable morality to make a dent in his value structure.
I would add that Fred/Vince does discover the true meaning of Christmas along the way and helps Santa out of a big mess by delivering all the presents himself when Santa hurts his back in the snowball fight with Fred.

There is another villain in the film, an efficiency expert played by Kevin Spacey, who also rediscovers his inner child by the end of the movie.

wintergreen48

#43 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:29 pm

These products do not embarass me, but the ads creep me out.

I was minding my own business, watching one of the Lawn Order shows, and the commercial came on: bunch of women are sunbathing on a rooftop or something, one of them looks up, somewhat startled, then you see a water tower that is about to burst, then this woman leaps up into the sky holding one of those products (some pad thing or other) and saves the city from the deluge, then she returns to earth and shows her pad to the other women, one of whom gropes the pad and expresses her delight that it is so dry (despite having blotted up the entire contents of a water tower).

I suspect that most real women in the real world do not go around flashing their pads to each other and inviting comment upon their dryness, but then, who knows what women do when they get together.

I think that they used to call this stuff 'feminine hygiene' products. You won't find any ads for 'masculine hygiene' products, probably because 'masculine hygiene' is an oxymoron.

gsabc

#44 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:09 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:I think that they used to call this stuff 'feminine hygiene' products.
I put these in the category of "Items which cannot be demonstrated on television" (For $600, Alex). Among the products in the group: tampons, condoms, douches, hemorrhoid creams, chest congestion remedies (do you really want to see someone hacking up a loogie?), impotence remedies, etc.

Used to be that undergarments (men's and women's) were in this category, too. Now it's like the song from "The Producers" - If You've Got It, Flaunt It!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

VAdame

#45 Post by VAdame » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:23 pm

impotence remedies, etc.
Really?? So what what that "throwing a football thru a tire" about then? :P

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#46 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:24 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
I was minding my own business, watching one of the Lawn Order shows, and the commercial came on: bunch of women are sunbathing on a rooftop or something, one of them looks up, somewhat startled, then you see a water tower that is about to burst, then this woman leaps up into the sky holding one of those products (some pad thing or other) and saves the city from the deluge, then she returns to earth and shows her pad to the other women, one of whom gropes the pad and expresses her delight that it is so dry (despite having blotted up the entire contents of a water tower).
The first aid kit that is used for Girl Scouts includes several super-absorbent maxi-pads. If a poor little Girl Scout injures herself to a point where there is a lot of blood, Girl Scout leaders have been trained to slap a pad on her, regardless of where the injury is.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Fred Claus?

#47 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:53 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I knew that he wasn't real by the time that I was 8. My sister was 3 1/2 years younger, so I pretended to believe so that she could believe and so that I would get presents.
WHAT? He's not real? Why didn't anyone tell me? --Bob (who now wonders where The Little Guy's presents have been coming from all these years)
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Fred Claus?

#48 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I knew that he wasn't real by the time that I was 8. My sister was 3 1/2 years younger, so I pretended to believe so that she could believe and so that I would get presents.
WHAT? He's not real? Why didn't anyone tell me? --Bob (who now wonders where The Little Guy's presents have been coming from all these years)
Sorry, I should have used spoiler tags. :)

tlynn78

#49 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:52 pm

As the youngest of five, I had older siblings contributing to the conspiracy of silence regarding the jolly old elf. I do remember catching on in 4th grade, and being terrified my parents would find out and the flow of gifts would stop.

When my son was in (i think) 3rd grade, he asked me one day if Santa was real. I told him if he believed Santa was a fat man in a red suit who came down the chimney on Christmas eve, then no, but if he believed Santa was someone who loved him and enjoyed giving him surprises to make him happy, then yes, there was (at least) one. He was okay with that. Still is, I think, at 23.
:lol:
t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire