Transcript 10/14/2008 Kelly Gannon

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/14/2008 Kelly Gannon

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Kelly Gannon
Columbia, SC
recent college graduate

Her new job started yesterday and she missed her first two days of work for WWTBAM.
Her boss said that if she won the million, she is to return to work while they train a replacement
Wants to earn a Masters and PhD.

Topic tree:
Brainiacs
Famous Pets
Shakespeare
Statusesque Women
Literary Journeys
Businessmen
Jewels
In the Kitchen
Barack Obama
U.S. Cities
In Memoriam
Comic Strips
The Bill of Rights
Animal Posses
Toys and Games

$100- In what classic board game do players perform make-believe surgery on a patient named Cavity Sam?
A. Trivial Pursuit B. Operation
C. Battleship D. Hungry Hungry Heart Surgeons
Spoiler
B. Operation (6)
$200- Because they stick together and rarely venture off on their own, which of the following are considered "flocking" animals?
A. Squirrels B. Sheep
C. Mice D. Turtles

Mere repeats "Flocking animals" then warns of time at :05 then Kelly calls ATA at :03
Spoiler
ATA result A-1% B-95% C-1% D-3%
Mere reminds her that she must answer quickly within 3 seconds
B. Sheep (:02)
Commercial break

Kelly calls herself a pack rat and still has all her work from school. This was a pain when the family moved and her parents had lots of crates to move around. She studied a lot of it for WWTBAM. Mere asked if there was nothing about flocks or sheep in it.

$300- The Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution specifically prohibits any punishments that are "cruel and" what?
A. Bizarre B. Abnormal
C. Peculiar D. Unusual
Spoiler
D. Unusual (9)
$500- The aptly titled comic strip "B.C." primarily features what people as its main characters?
A. Cops B. Cavemen
C. Cowboys D. Convicts
Spoiler
B. Cavemen (9)
$1000-Whose 2008 death prompted Jerry Seinfeld to write an Op-Ed piece titled "Dying is Hard. Comedy is Harder"?
A. Bo Diddley B. Yves Saint Laurent
C. George Carlin D. Arthur C. Clarke
Spoiler
C. George Carlin (5)
$2000- Though its name is pronounced differently, which of these U.S. cities is named after a city in France?
A. Lima, OH B. Berlin, NH
C. Cairo, IL D. Versailles, KY
Spoiler
D. Versailles, KY (:16)
$4000- In 2008, Barack Obama and his wife caused a media stir when they greeted each other onstage with what hand gesture?
A. Peace sign B. Fist bump
C. High ten D. Low five
Spoiler
B. Fist bump (:20)
$8000- Which of the following is not one of the three standard ingredients in a popover?
A. Milk B. Eggs
C. Cheese D. Flour

PAF called at :18

Choices are friends Andrew and Arthur (both from Arlington VA), and mom Susan from Columbia SC.

She says neither of the friends cook and calls mom.
Spoiler
Her mom thinks it is cheese, 80% sure
answer C. Cheese (:13)

$16K- To determine whether it's real or fake, what gem is commonly rubbed against the teeth to see if it feels gritty or smooth?
A. Diamond B. Ruby
C. Sapphire D. Pearl
Spoiler
says C, Pearl, final answer, ... I mean D, Pearl, final answer (:12)
$25K- Steve Ballmer is the CEO of what corporation?
A. Wal-Mart B. Microsoft
C. General Motors D. Google

Expert (Kristen Baldwin) called at :17
Spoiler
Again "this is not my area of expertise" says she can rule out Microsoft, has a hunch it is General Motors but would take the money here

Kelly (leaving her DD unused) decides to leave with $16K.

Answer was B. Microsoft, (clock stopped at :02)

Kelly left with $16,000.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 10/14/2008 Kelly Gannon

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Topic tree:
Brainiacs
Famous Pets
Shakespeare
Statusesque Women
Literary Journeys
Businessmen
Jewels
In the Kitchen
Barack Obama
U.S. Cities
In Memoriam
Comic Strips
The Bill of Rights
Animal Posses
Toys and Games
Everything after Businessmen could pose a problem.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100- In what classic board game do players perform make-believe surgery on a patient named Cavity Sam?
A. Trivial Pursuit B. Operation
C. Battleship D. Hungry Hungry Heart Surgeons
There was a question several years ago that asked what the Operation patient's name was.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000- Though its name is pronounced differently, which of these U.S. cities is named after a city in France?
Spoiler
Located less than 10 miles south of Frankfort.

$8K: I've never heard of a popover... except for Jay Popover (centflaparrothead). ATA.

$16K: No clue here either. PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- Steve Ballmer is the CEO of what corporation?
A. Wal-Mart B. Microsoft
This is a rewrite of a PTBAM question, asked a couple of months after Bill Gates resigned as CEO.

Kelly and "expert" Kristen are both airheads, automatically eliminating Microsoft. They both probably think that Gates is still the CEO.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kelly Gannon
Columbia, SC
recent college graduate

Her new job started yesterday and she missed her first two days of work for WWTBAM.
Her boss said that if she won the million, she is to return to work while they train a replacement
Wants to earn a Masters and PhD.
In what subjects?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200- Because they stick together and rarely venture off on their own, which of the following are considered "flocking" animals?
A. Squirrels B. Sheep
C. Mice D. Turtles

Mere repeats "Flocking animals" then warns of time at :05 then Kelly calls ATA at :03
Spoiler
I suspect Meredith took the commercial break to give Kelly a chance to collect herself. Using a lifeline on the $200 question doesn't bode well. But it's not an insurmountable obstacle.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000- Though its name is pronounced differently, which of these U.S. cities is named after a city in France?
Spoiler
If my ears didn't deceive me, Meredith pronounced "Versailles" incorrectly.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- To determine whether it's real or fake, what gem is commonly rubbed against the teeth to see if it feels gritty or smooth?
A. Diamond B. Ruby
C. Sapphire D. Pearl
Spoiler
I wonder if there was any stopping of the tape at this point.
A. Wal-Mart B. Microsoft

Spoiler
Again "this is not my area of expertise" says she can rule out Microsoft, has a hunch it is General Motors but would take the money here

Probably a good idea if she had no inkling as to the right answer. This is a question that any computer geek should be able to answer without thinking.

It's a nihil obstat® stack.

Can we get a better expert for today's show?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 am

Yet another *sigh* for another clean stack. All LLs heading to $50K.

I know the pearl rubbing question from an episode of M*A*S*H, where Frank buys a real set of pearls for his wife and a fake one for Margaret and Hot Lips manages to switch them. Sometimes you get information from the oddest of sources.

And ear, I'd settle for better contestants. ATE is going to be problematic most of the time unless the Expert was a hot seat occupant themselves.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 am

earendel wrote:
A. Wal-Mart B. Microsoft

Spoiler

Probably a good idea if she had no inkling as to the right answer.
Even though there's "no turning back," the Double Dip would still give her a 50/50 shot at $25K and the opportunity to continue up the stack. I keep waiting for contestants who are willing to take that kind of gamble.

Maybe the odds are a little less than 50/50, when both she and the expert have already dismissed the correct answer. :P

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#6 Post by Evil Squirrel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 am

$200- Because they stick together and rarely venture off on their own, which of the following are considered "flocking" animals?
A. Squirrels B. Sheep
C. Mice D. Turtles

Wait a minute! I've heard people refer to us squirrels as "flocking animals" quite a bit! At least I think that's what they're saying.....
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:09 am

gsabc wrote:Yet another *sigh* for another clean stack. All LLs heading to $50K.

I know the pearl rubbing question from an episode of M*A*S*H, where Frank buys a real set of pearls for his wife and a fake one for Margaret and Hot Lips manages to switch them. Sometimes you get information from the oddest of sources.
That's precisely where I learned this little piece of information.
gsabc wrote:And ear, I'd settle for better contestants. ATE is going to be problematic most of the time unless the Expert was a hot seat occupant themselves.
Jay Thomas was good (leaving out his comedy schtick) and it's quite possible that this week's experts would be good in the right area (asking an entertainment writer about computers probably isn't a good idea).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 am

earendel wrote:
gsabc wrote:And ear, I'd settle for better contestants. ATE is going to be problematic most of the time unless the Expert was a hot seat occupant themselves.
Jay Thomas was good (leaving out his comedy schtick) and it's quite possible that this week's experts would be good in the right area (asking an entertainment writer about computers probably isn't a good idea).
But contestants need lifelines when they need them! It doesn't do much good, like Meredith did during Cristy Lecik's stack, to observe that the expert might be really good for that Billy Crystal question coming up at $250K.

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript 10/14/2008 Kelly Gannon

#9 Post by rgcviper » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:50 am

(On $200):
"Mere repeats "Flocking animals" then warns of time at :05 then Kelly calls ATA at :03

Mere reminds her that she must answer quickly within 3 seconds."

Until this season, the format of WWTBAM was great since contestants could take their time to answer and possibly eliminate some answers on their own without resorting to using a lifeline. However, this season's addition of the clock basically ruins the format of the game for me--as evidenced by Kelly's $200 question. I hope the clock is only a one-season experiment and I hope to see that next season it's gone away.

doitneatly

#10 Post by doitneatly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:13 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K- To determine whether it's real or fake, what gem is commonly rubbed against the teeth to see if it feels gritty or smooth?
A. Diamond B. Ruby
C. Sapphire D. Pearl
Spoiler
Given that our Minneapolis station screwed up and re-aired monday's show instead of this one, I only have the above description to go on. if she did indeed say "final answer" that first time, I assume the only thing that saved her was the fact that she uttered the correct answer along with that incorrect letter. Gotta keep that in mind next week. :-)

Have there been past examples of this where the contestant didn't get so lucky? (I assume that something along the lines of "B, final answer... I mean D, Pearl, final answer" would've been a definite loser.)

And I bet a LOT of people who know that answer only know it because of M*A*S*H. That's certainly true for me, even though I was barely out of diapers when they first aired that episode. The scene in question is very memorable and hilarious. (Frank Burns at his finest - a virtual dollar to the first person to find a youtube link!)
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

madamemeisha

#11 Post by madamemeisha » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 pm

gsabc wrote: I know the pearl rubbing question from an episode of M*A*S*H, where Frank buys a real set of pearls for his wife and a fake one for Margaret and Hot Lips manages to switch them. Sometimes you get information from the oddest of sources.
Too funny. I've been watching M*A*S*H with my boyfriend on DVD lately, and I just saw this episode. It's the only time I've ever heard it too.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#12 Post by secondchance » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:30 pm

doitneatly wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K- To determine whether it's real or fake, what gem is commonly rubbed against the teeth to see if it feels gritty or smooth?
A. Diamond B. Ruby
C. Sapphire D. Pearl
Spoiler
Given that our Minneapolis station screwed up and re-aired monday's show instead of this one, I only have the above description to go on. if she did indeed say "final answer" that first time, I assume the only thing that saved her was the fact that she uttered the correct answer along with that incorrect letter. Gotta keep that in mind next week. :-)

Have there been past examples of this where the contestant didn't get so lucky? (I assume that something along the lines of "B, final answer... I mean D, Pearl, final answer" would've been a definite loser.)
I remember an older show with Regis, where the contestant had to choose from 4 Roman numerals, and she mixed up choice C. for the Roman numeral C. You could tell she was confused, but Regis seemed to think her wrong answer was correct, and had her confirm "final answer" too quickly, before she could straighten out the error in her head. She even said, "oh, wait- I meant..."
She still looked puzzled as she left the stage, poor thing.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by etaoin22 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:00 pm

[quote="BBTranscriptTeam"]Kelly Gannon I would wonder, anglicisation of "gagnon",derived from "gagnant" for winner. First page of google tells me not so. Good luck Kelly, néanmoins.

Topic tree:
Brainiacs again!

A. Squirrels B. Sheep
C. Mice D. Turtles

Pack rat comment to come; I never say this, but she would have done better not reviewing her pack rat stuff, but the King James Version. I can hear those English preachers reading for Christmas, the lessons, "watching over their flock by night".

$2000- Though its name is pronounced differently, which of these U.S. cities is named after a city in France?

OK, I know L-eye-ma once known for steam locomotives, BRRRR-lin whose temp in winter is often lower than MTL, Caye-roh, at the bottom of Illinois, but I dont know Dan'l Boone speak for Versailles:
"?? Vur-SAY-leez ??

$8000- Which of the following is not one of the three standard ingredients in a popover?
A. Milk B. Eggs
C. Cheese D. Flour

$16K- To determine whether it's real or fake, what gem is commonly rubbed against the teeth to see if it feels gritty or smooth?
A. Diamond B. Ruby
C. Sapphire D. Pearl

2 good questions to ask FNGD.....

$25K- Steve Ballmer is the CEO of what corporation?
A. Wal-Mart B. Microsoft

Too bad, but a mid range 'gagnon".-- "gagnant"

slam

#14 Post by slam » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 am

gsabc wrote: ATE is going to be problematic most of the time unless the Expert was a hot seat occupant themselves.
Evidence so far hasn't quite supported that conclusion. It might become more clearly true as they start digging for more experts. I thought Bill Nye was very solid and Jay Thomas (despite his behavior) was a big help to the contestants. Lyn Payne, a former contestant, seemed to run into questions which didn't fit her well and thus wasn't that helpful to the contestants. We'll see how this evolves as the season goes on.

Here's some advance information about a group which served as ATE in an show yet to be aired.

http://www.campustimes.org/trivia_team_hits_abc

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:44 am

slam wrote:
gsabc wrote: Here's some advance information about a group which served as ATE in an show yet to be aired.
Interesting!

How'd you find that article, slam? It doesn't show up in my Google News search.

andrewjackson

#16 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:48 am

etaoin22 wrote:

OK, I know L-eye-ma once known for steam locomotives, BRRRR-lin whose temp in winter is often lower than MTL, Caye-roh, at the bottom of Illinois, but I dont know Dan'l Boone speak for Versailles:
"?? Vur-SAY-leez ??

It is Vur-SAYLS.

Same for the Versailles in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. I'd suspect it's the same in Missouri and Pennsylvania. Not sure about the one in Louisiana.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:51 pm

Spoiler
Grrrr. I don't like this question. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Spoiler
Why?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:37 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Spoiler
Why?
Follow the link. Note whom he beat in his first game. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Grrrr. I don't like this question. --Bob
Why?
Follow the link. Note whom he beat in his first game. --Bob
Oh.

So it's a shout-out to one of your Foes. :wink: