Transcript 10/15/08: Mike Zeigler

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/15/08: Mike Zeigler

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Note: My DVR seems to have a bad spot on the hard drive, and the recording missed quite a bit of the banter, so it'll be all business today.

Mike Zeigler
Newport News, VA

His category tree:

Merrie Melodies
The Civil War
Soup to Nuts
Where in the World
The Summer Wind
Art
Modern Knights
The Court System
Geography
Mottos
Toys
Book Types
Viral Video
Lost in Thought
Sandwiches

$100 (Sandwiches): By definition, which of these popular sandiches contains fish?
A. Grilled cheese sandwich B. Tuna sandwich
C. Ham sandwich D. Grilled Nemo on rye
Spoiler
B. Tuna sandwich (5)
$200 (Lost in Thought): A person lost in thought is said to have his "head in the" what?
A. Clouds B. Rivers
C. Fields D. Hills
Spoiler
A. Clouds (10)
$300 (Viral Video): The lyric "One side is fuzzy, one side is pricly, separately useless but together so sticky" is featured in an Internet ditty about what?
A. Velcro B. Paper clips
C. Cupcakes D. Butter
Spoiler
A. Velcro (9)
$500 (Book Types): At which of these places would a person most likely find a book known as a hymnal?
A. Restaurant B. Zoo
C. Church D. Playground
Spoiler
C. Church (10)
$1000 (Toys): Which of these toys was once reportedly banned in Japan because people looked indecent when using it?
A. Hacky sack B. Hula hoop
C. Yo-yo D. Frisbee
Spoiler
B. Hula hoop (5)
Today's Expert from Entertainment Weekly is Senior Writer Jessica Shaw, who writes on movies, TV and style.

$2,000 (Mottos): The motto of the U.S. Marine Corps is commonly shortened to "Semper Fi," a phrase in which "Fi" is short for what?
A. Firmus B. Filum
C. Fidelis D. Fiscus
Spoiler
C. Fidelis (16)
$4,000 (Geography): The two countries in the world whose names come last alphabetically are both located where?
A. Central America B. Southern Africa
C. Eastern Europe D. Southeast Asia
Spoiler
B. Southern Africa (14) (They are Zambia and Zimbabwe, for the record.)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

$8,000 (The Court System): In the United States, the federal courts of appeals are divided into thirteen separate units called what?
A. Quarters B. Precincts
C. Sectors D. Circuits
Spoiler
D. Circuits (20)
$16,000 (Modern Knights): The man knighted "Sir Salman" by Queen Elizabeth II in 2008 is a world-famous what?
A. Architect B. Musician
C. Novelist D. Film director
Spoiler
C. Novelist (17) (Salman Rushdie)
$25,000 (Art): In 2007, the Monroe-inspired silkscreen "Lemon Marilyn" fetched one of the highest prices ever for a work by what modern artist?
A. Jackson Pollock B. Andy Warhol
C. Jasper Johns D. Roy Lichtenstein
Spoiler
B. Andy Warhol (
COMMERCIAL BREAK

The promo at the break had something to do with next week's shows (most of which I missed), and announced that next week's expert would be our own HERMILLION!

$50,000 (The Summer Wind): An etesian wind is an annual summer wind that blows over which of these bodies of water?
A. Aegean Sea B. English Channel
C. Baltic Sea D. Persian Gulf

Mike chooses to double dip, yet gets it right with his first answer.
Spoiler
A. Aegean Sea (29)
$100,000 (Where in the World): In which of the following would you most likely find a phloem bundle?
A. Car engine B. Brain stem
C. Banana skin D. Oyster shell

Mike choose to ATA with 33 seconds on the clock. The results:

A. Car engine 4%
B. Brain stem 60%
C. Banana skin 15%
D. Oyster shell 21%

Mike guesses incorrectly, and leaves with $25,000.
Spoiler
Mike went with the audience, and guessed Brain stem.

C. Banana skin (29)

Bob Juch

Re: Transcript 10/15/08: Mike Zeigler

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 pm

He should have known the audience was likely to Durst him at that level. :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by etaoin22 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:33 pm

That;s what you get if you go with the phloem.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:53 pm

No problemo through $25K. PAF with Google at $50K - never heard of an etesian wind. Was thinking French somehow, as in the French word for summer (ete - can't do the acute accents). $100K no problemo. Xylem and phloem. 8th grade Earth science class.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by etaoin22 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:24 pm

alt-e on standard american keyboard. this will give you an acute accent, you can put then any appropriate vowel from french or spanish or whatever.

"Accent grave" is over by the "1" key, one my keyboard. If I just punch it, I get ` alone. Alt-` then the vowel: è.

alt - I for ˆ. French.
alt - u for ¨ Ice cream, heavy metal, and other than French European languages

tell me if this does not work.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:36 pm

etaoin22 wrote:alt-e on standard american keyboard. this will give you an acute accent, you can put then any appropriate vowel from french or spanish or whatever.

"Accent grave" is over by the "1" key, one my keyboard. If I just punch it, I get ` alone. Alt-` then the vowel: è.

alt - I for ˆ. French.

Nope. Alt-e activates the Edit section of the menu in my browser if I'm typing here. It does work in MS Word. The others don't seem to work for either one. I may be doing it wrong.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

plasticene

#7 Post by plasticene » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:20 pm

etaoin22 wrote:alt-e on standard american keyboard. this will give you an acute accent, you can put then any appropriate vowel from french or spanish or whatever.

alt - I for ˆ. French.

I'm guessing you're using an Apple computer. Those don't work in Windows. In Microsoft Word, you can use the control key plus a punctuation mark that resembles the accent:

Code: Select all

' á
` è
^ î
: ü
, ç
~ ñ

ne1410s

#8 Post by ne1410s » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Sitting on 100K with all lifelines.

(This game is soo much easier at home!!)
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by etaoin22 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:36 pm

plasticene wrote:

alt - I for ˆ. French.

I'm guessing you're using an Apple computer. Those don't work in Windows. In Microsoft Word, you can use the control key plus a punctuation mark that resembles the accent:

Code: Select all

' á
` è
^ î
: ü
, ç
~ ñ
plasticene is absolutely right. Apple Mac with OS X 10.4.11

I can't believe that Windows is so backward. I gotta look up grammar --- I mean this both in the "declarative mood" and the "exclamatory mood".

NellyLunatic1980

#10 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:48 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Merrie Melodies
The Civil War
Soup to Nuts
Where in the World
The Summer Wind
Art
Modern Knights
The Court System
Geography
Mottos
Toys
Book Types
Viral Video
Lost in Thought
Sandwiches
Quite a few vague categories up there. The one straightforward category in the upper tier, Civil War, will definitely give me problems if we get that far.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 (Lost in Thought): A person lost in thought is said to have his "head in the" what?
A. Clouds B. Rivers
C. Fields D. Hills
E. Arse

I'm perfect on the first ten, just like Mike.

$50K: "Ete" means "summer" in French. That hinted to me that it might involve France. The only body of water amongst the four choices that borders France is the English Channel. But I would've phoned a friend since that wasn't enough for me to go on.

$100K: If you know basic biology, you know about phloem and xylem. They are parts of a plant. Banana skin is the only one of the choices that derives from a plant. So I would've locked that in.

Mike had a great chance at winning at least $250,000. Too bad he got dursted.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Note: My DVR seems to have a bad spot on the hard drive, and the recording missed quite a bit of the banter, so it'll be all business today.
Hope you get it fixed soon.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Today's Expert from Entertainment Weekly is Senior Writer Jessica Shaw, who writes on movies, TV and style.
And who basically told Mike that her expertise was limited to Barbra Streisand.

With respect to the banter, the best exchange of the day was between Meredith and Mike's wife. Mike said that he had seen a motorized bike with three wheels (which Meredith said was a "tricycle"). Meredith asked Mike's wife what she thought about the idea and she said it wasn't going to happen (or words to that effect).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 (The Summer Wind): An etesian wind is an annual summer wind that blows over which of these bodies of water?
A. Aegean Sea B. English Channel
C. Baltic Sea D. Persian Gulf

Mike chooses to double dip, yet gets it right with his first answer.
Spoiler
A. Aegean Sea (29)
I'd have done the same thing, although I might have gone with "C" as my first answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 (Where in the World): In which of the following would you most likely find a phloem bundle?
A. Car engine B. Brain stem
C. Banana skin D. Oyster shell

Mike choose to ATA with 33 seconds on the clock. The results:

A. Car engine 4%
B. Brain stem 60%
C. Banana skin 15%
D. Oyster shell 21%

Mike guesses incorrectly, and leaves with $25,000.
Spoiler
Mike went with the audience, and guessed Brain stem.

C. Banana skin (29)
[/quote]

What a shame! Mike was really rolling along and still had his PAF remaining. It's also a shame tht this wasn't MY $100K (or $125K) botany question because I could have answered this one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:35 am

earendel wrote: With respect to the banter, the best exchange of the day was between Meredith and Mike's wife. Mike said that he had seen a motorized bike with three wheels (which Meredith said was a "tricycle"). Meredith asked Mike's wife what she thought about the idea and she said it wasn't going to happen (or words to that effect).
That's what I thought, too! :)

Mike was definitely a character, throwing around lots of colorful suthren expressions. "I'm Tarheel born, Tarheel bred, and when I die I'll be Tarheel dead!" So, when Meredith chatted with his wife, it was a entertaining to see her so much more restrained and dignified. :lol:

Mike was encouraged to give a number of loud shouts that they identified as a rebel yell. From all I know--watching Ken Burns' The Civil War series and so forth--that shout was in no way similar to a true Rebel yell! :roll:

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:39 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100 (Sandwiches): By definition, which of these popular sandiches contains fish?
Perhaps it's not a "popular" sandwich, but by definition, choice D would also be 100% correct, here. :twisted:

BTW, who had the avatar featuring the Nemo sushi? Was it you, Nelly?

I was thinking that the question writers were sneaking in another shout-out, there! 8)

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:46 am

Here's an article about Mike's appearance:

http://www.dailypress.com/features/dp-l ... 4973.story
The show aired at 10 a.m. Wednesday, but Zeigler taped it in July. He said it was so much fun he thinks he got a little carried away on the show.

"Once I got up to $50,000, it was like I went into another zone," he says. "I wasn't very strategic when I got up there, and I think if I could do it again, I would concentrate a little more on the game."
That explains why he used the ATA instead of a Google PAF.
After his experience, Zeigler recommends everyone should try to get on a game show, because it is so much fun.

"I think I'm going to try to get on 'Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader' next, because I am," he says.
Yeah, I keep hearing about how much fun it is. :|

NellyLunatic1980

#15 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:02 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100 (Sandwiches): By definition, which of these popular sandiches contains fish?
Perhaps it's not a "popular" sandwich, but by definition, choice D would also be 100% correct, here. :twisted:

I was thinking that the question writers were sneaking in another shout-out, there! 8)
No, takinover had the Nemo sushi avatar.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:06 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

No, takinover had the Nemo sushi avatar.
Oh, that's right!

Congrats on the semi-shoutout, takinover! :)