WWTBAM Transcript 11/13/2007 Tom Merlino

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

WWTBAM Transcript 11/13/2007 Tom Merlino

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Tom Merlino
Brooklyn, NY

TV WEEK

While in school, watched TV from when he got home from school until he fell alseep in front of it. His father Joe is in the audience and felt he was wasting his time. Now that he is on Millonaire, does his father think any differently? "Let's see if he wins any money first"

$100- In her show's May 2007 season finale, former catwalker Tyra Banks crowned Jaslene Gonzales "America's Next Top" what?
A. Author B. Model
C. Businesswoman D. Washed-Up Reality Star

$200- On a classic 1950's TV show, host Ralph Edwards surprised guests with the announcement "This is your" what?
A. Life B. Party
C. Future D. Moment

$300- A 1960s TV character played by Al Lewis, Count Vladimir Dracula is better known by what name?
A. Uncle Munster B. Kid Munster
C. Grandpa Munster D. Judge Munster

$500- On "Mad About You," Jamie and Paul name their baby daughter "Mabel," an acronym for "Mothers Always Bring" what?
A. Excess Laundry B. Extra Love
C. Etiquette Lessons D. Easy Living

$1000- What classic sitcom's theme song features these optimistic lyrics?
(Audience says in unison: "Goodbye grey sky, hello blue ... There's nothing can hold me ... when I hold you
Feels so right, it can't be wrong ... Rockin' and rollin' all week long")
A. Happy Days B. When Things Were Rotten
C. One Day at a Time D. Mork & Mindy

$2000- What popular TV show was set in the fictional seaside town of Cabot Cove?
A. Quincy, M.E. B. Newhart
C. Northern Exposure D. Murder, She Wrote

(He says his office mate Evan quizzed her before the show and this happened to be one of Evan's questions. She was wearing a Meredith mask when asking the questions)

$4000- In the season four finale of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Larry David co-stars with David Schwimmer in what Broadway musical?
A. The Producers B. The Phantom of the Opera
C. Fiddler on the Roof D. Chicago

$8000- Before voicing Patrick Star on "SpongeBob SquarePants," Bill Fagerbakke was best known for playing Dauber Daubinski on what sitcom?
A. Evening Shade B. Major Dad
C. Coach D. Too Close for Comfort

$16,000
In the first episode of "L.A. Law," what partner in the law firm McKenzie, Brackman, Chaney & Kuzak turns up dead at his desk?
A. McKenzie B. Brackman
C. Kuzak D. Chaney

ATA
A-17% B-23% C-26% D-34%

"That's Great"

PAF Matt, former co-worker, says D not positive but I feel pretty good about it. With 8 seconds left Tom says very good, hang up the phone!

Commercial Break

$25,000
What classic TV series ends with its characters deliberately blowing up the town in which the series took place?
A. Gunsmoke B. Little House On the Prairie
C. The Waltons D. Bonanza

$50,000
Years before Mr. T became a household name, who played another Mr. T in the 1976 series "Mr. T and Tina"?
A. Wilford Brimley B. Abe Vigoda
C. Pat Morita D. Louis Gossett Jr.

$100,000
Bravo's acclaimed series "Inside the Actors Studio" made its television debut in 1994 with what guest?
A. Jessica Lange B. Paul Newman
C. Robert De Niro D. Glenn Close

Says he knows the show but is not sure what the answer is

50/50 left B & D

After Tom answered, Meredith said his choice was not the first guest, but the first one when it went on TV.

Commercial Break

Tom's dad says he may actually buy a television. Tom has been visiting condo open houses and would like to buy a home. $100K would be a good start.

$250,000
In the "Star Trek" episode "Whom Gods Destroy," Captain Kirk famously smooches a green alien seductress named what?
A. Elena B. Marta
C. Sheeda D. Cheela

"Get this question out of my face!"

STQ $250K
On a bizarre episode of "Alice," what wealthy character from another TV show attempst to buy Mel's Diner?
A. Edward Stratton III B. Jefferson Davis "Boss" Hogg
C. George Jefferson D. Bobby Ewing

(Meredith points out that Tom was nodding like he knew the answer and he did)

$500,000
The famous "chocolate factory" episode of "I Love Lucy" features Lucy and Ethel goofing off on the assembly line at what place?
A. Sullivan's Sweet Shoppe B. Kramer's Kandy Kitchen
C. Buttlebee's BonBon Barn D. Cog's Confectionary Company

Tom is leaning in one direction but is not sure if it is worth the gamble.
He wants to say it's Kramer's Kandy Kitchen, he wants to do it but does he know it
He goes through the C and D answers and says he will do it. He asks how does his father look?
Meredith reminds him that it is his decision, his game, and he changes his mind and walks.

TOTAL PRIZE MONEY $250,000

Answers
$100- B. Model
$200- A. Life
$300- C. Grandpa Munster
$500- B. Extra Love
$1000- A. Happy Days
$2000- D. Murder, She Wrote
$4000- A. The Producers
$8000- C. Coach
$16K- D. Chaney
$25K- B. Little House On the Prairie
$50K- C. Pat Morita
$100K- B. Paul Newman
$250K- B. Marta
STQ $250K- B. Jefferson Davis "Boss" Hogg
$500K- B. Kramer's Kandy Kitchen

Commercial Break

NellyLunatic1980

Re: WWTBAM Transcript 11/13/2007 Tom Merlino

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:37 am

Tom Merlino
Brooklyn, NY
Where Else®

$16K: Never saw the first episode, so I need the PAF.

$50K: Brimley and Vigoda didn't make any sense. ATA and hope they choose Morita over Gossett. Assuming they do...

$100K: I was between Newman and De Niro. Take the 50:50, get rid of De Niro, and win the $100K.

$250K: NAFC®. Good idea to switch.

$250K #2: I saw this episode many years ago when the show's reruns were on E!

$500K: I've seen this episode many times and easily remembered the name of the chocolate factory. A couple of years ago, I said to myself, "The name of that place would make a great million-dollar question."

Nice job of talking Tom out of a quarter-million, Meredith. <grumble>®

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:20 am

I stand by my assertion that if Regis were the host, he would have pulled the trigger. Regis would have had him take the risk.

Meredith brings sanity to it all. Regis didn't.

I am sure there were things edited out of the conversation before he decided to walk.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tom Merlino
Brooklyn, NY
Tom's facial features and mannerisms reminded me of Jim Carrey.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:While in school, watched TV from when he got home from school until he fell alseep in front of it. His father Joe is in the audience and felt he was wasting his time. Now that he is on Millonaire, does his father think any differently? "Let's see if he wins any money first"
I LMAO from this exchange.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1000- What classic sitcom's theme song features these optimistic lyrics?
(Audience says in unison: "Goodbye grey sky, hello blue ... There's nothing can hold me ... when I hold you
Proving once again that 180 voices are not better than one voice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- In the season four finale of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Larry David co-stars with David Schwimmer in what Broadway musical?
A. The Producers B. The Phantom of the Opera
C. Fiddler on the Roof D. Chicago
ATA time for me, although if I had "stayed clam"® I might have been able to reason it out.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
In the first episode of "L.A. Law," what partner in the law firm McKenzie, Brackman, Chaney & Kuzak turns up dead at his desk?
A. McKenzie B. Brackman
C. Kuzak D. Chaney
McKenzie was played by Richard Dysart, Brackman by Alan Rachins, Kuzak by Harry Hamlin. All of them were around for several seasons (Hamlin left the show after a couple years), so Chaney is the answer. I wondered why they switched the two (Kuzak and Chaney) rather than leaving them in the order found in the question; elwing surmised that they needed a "D" answer. Oh, and LA Law was one of my guilty pleasures in the 80s.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
What classic TV series ends with its characters deliberately blowing up the town in which the series took place?
I guessed the right answer from my recliner; in the Hot Seat it would have been time to 50/50.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Years before Mr. T became a household name, who played another Mr. T in the 1976 series "Mr. T and Tina"?
A. Wilford Brimley B. Abe Vigoda
C. Pat Morita D. Louis Gossett Jr.
IIRC this show is the reason why Morita left "Happy Days".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Bravo's acclaimed series "Inside the Actors Studio" made its television debut in 1994 with what guest?
A. Jessica Lange B. Paul Newman
C. Robert De Niro D. Glenn Close
No idea, so it's time to PAF and hope it's an easy Google.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000
In the "Star Trek" episode "Whom Gods Destroy," Captain Kirk famously smooches a green alien seductress named what?
A. Elena B. Marta
C. Sheeda D. Cheela
OH! MY! GOODNESS! Could there be an easier $250K question than this one?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:"Get this question out of my face!"
I guess so. Tom may be a TV nut but he's no Trekker.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $250K
On a bizarre episode of "Alice," what wealthy character from another TV show attempst to buy Mel's Diner?
A. Edward Stratton III B. Jefferson Davis "Boss" Hogg
C. George Jefferson D. Bobby Ewing
No idea, but since I wouldn't have needed to STQ I wouldn't have seen it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500,000
The famous "chocolate factory" episode of "I Love Lucy" features Lucy and Ethel goofing off on the assembly line at what place?
A. Sullivan's Sweet Shoppe B. Kramer's Kandy Kitchen
C. Buttlebee's BonBon Barn D. Cog's Confectionary Company
Another creampuff question, and Tom was on the verge of pulling the trigger. Meredith did a good job of reminding him of what was at stake, but it almost seemed as if she was trying to talk him out of it.

All in all a good run - I'm not a fan of gimmick shows, but they do seem to be geared toward producing bigger winners.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:33 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $1000- What classic sitcom's theme song features these optimistic lyrics?
Make them stop! Make them stop! :shock:

This might be a $1000 question from just reading the lyrics, but having to listen to the audience's rendition multiplies the difficulty factor. :P
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2000- What popular TV show was set in the fictional seaside town of Cabot Cove?
My friends and I decided that Angela Lansbury's character had to be a demon; each week she'd possess some poor, innocent person and force them to murder someone else and leave behind the clues that Angela would use to "solve" the crime. How else could all that be happening in that sleepy little town? :twisted:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000
They did? I know this show was never shy about using some sappy story lines, but what was the justification for this plot?

slam

#6 Post by slam » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:35 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
A. McKenzie B. Brackman
C. Kuzak D. Chaney
McKenzie was played by Richard Dysart, Brackman by Alan Rachins, Kuzak by Harry Hamlin. All of them were around for several seasons (Hamlin left the show after a couple years), so Chaney is the answer. I wondered why they switched the two (Kuzak and Chaney) rather than leaving them in the order found in the question; elwing surmised that they needed a "D" answer. Oh, and LA Law was one of my guilty pleasures in the 80s.
The possible distractor here was that there were actually 2 Brackman's. The father of Alan Rachins character founded the firm with Leland McKenzie and had passed away before the series began. Knowing that, I had to think this question through a bit more before getting to the correct response. I was a big fan of this show back then. FWIW, Kuzak's name was not in the name of the firm until a few seasons into the series.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:43 am

peacock2121 wrote:I stand by my assertion that if Regis were the host, he would have pulled the trigger. Regis would have had him take the risk.

Meredith brings sanity to it all. Regis didn't.

I am sure there were things edited out of the conversation before he decided to walk.
I agree that the conversation was probably edited and that Meredith may have swayed the deliberations here, but I wouldn't call this example bringing sanity to it all. Burying her face in her hands exceeded the bounds of dispassionately pointing out what he was risking.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2000- What popular TV show was set in the fictional seaside town of Cabot Cove?
My friends and I decided that Angela Lansbury's character had to be a demon; each week she'd possess some poor, innocent person and force them to murder someone else and leave behind the clues that Angela would use to "solve" the crime. How else could all that be happening in that sleepy little town? :twisted:
I used to make those jokes, too - although in fairness not all of the mysteries occurred in Cabot Cove. OTOH it must have been brutal to be a friend of Jonathan and Jennifer Hart. Their friends kept turning up dead or in serious trouble of some sort.
MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000
They did? I know this show was never shy about using some sappy story lines, but what was the justification for this plot?
According to Wikipedia:

Michael Landon blew up the town before the Big Sky Ranch, California lease expired and he didn't want the facades bulldozed. It was also a defensive gesture by Michael that contained a message to Ed Friendly not to remake his series on the ranch. The show was still popular and there was a chance of this happening, but Landon made sure it wouldn't at the time.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:52 am

earendel wrote:According to Wikipedia:

Michael Landon blew up the town before the Big Sky Ranch, California lease expired and he didn't want the facades bulldozed. It was also a defensive gesture by Michael that contained a message to Ed Friendly not to remake his series on the ranch. The show was still popular and there was a chance of this happening, but Landon made sure it wouldn't at the time.
Yeah, I found that Wikipedia entry, but that doesn't explain how it got written into the script to have the characters do it.

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:$2000- What popular TV show was set in the fictional seaside town of Cabot Cove?

GW and I always thought that if we were one of Jessica Fletcher's friends and she said that she wanted to come for a visit, we'd immediately make plans to be out of town. Preferably in Tahiti or Outer Mongolia. Whenever Jessica showed up, that friend would be accused of murder, and she'd have to find out who really did it, helping her own reputation. Meanwhile, Jessica wasn't paying the legal bills, paying the mortgage while you're in jail and out of work, hanging around to repair your severely damaged reputation, etc. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 am

slam wrote:FWIW, Kuzak's name was not in the name of the firm until a few seasons into the series.
Not so - Kuzak was a "name" partner from the beginning.

Shade

#12 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Funny, this person was one question away from being as notable as Lyn and Ogi. No one ever wins 500,000 or a Million on a special edition. Or at least none I can recall.