Transcript 10/17/2008 - Adam Pinson (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/17/2008 - Adam Pinson (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Adam Pinson
Pinson, AL
History teacher

Topic tree:
- Chill Out
- The High Court
- The Gene Pool
- TV Dinners
- South America
- The Night Watchman
- Hannah Montana
- Movie Villains
- Sing Sing Sing
- Yoga
- Call Me Al
- The Ticker
- Etiquette
- Animal Parts
- At the Market

Adam is getting married in 8 days to his fiancee Rachel, who is in the audience. His father has diabetes and Adam has been tested to see if he can give his father a kidney. Meredith says that when Adam talks he sounds like Elvis.

$100K - Which of these food items was not featured in the first-ever Swanson TV dinner?
A - cornbread stuffing
B - buttered peas
C - chocolate brownie
D - sweet potatoes
Answer
Adam hates to do it but he's going to have to use his last lifeline. He stops the clock with 24 seconds to use his Double Dip. He makes D his first final answer; that's not correct so he goes with C and this time he's right!

C - chocolate brownie (15)
Meredith says Adam risked a lot of money. Adam replies that fortune favors the bold. Meredith says that Adam didn't strike her as a gambler. He says he isn't very good at it and normally it doesn't work out so well.

commercial break

During the break Adam said the experience seemed surreal. He appreciates being here and that his dad could be here to watch him. Meredith then asks his dad, Robert, who says that they're very proud of him. His mother, Nancy, adds, "What else can we say?"

$250K - What video game character shares his name with a much-studied human gene that affects finger and toe placement?
A - Sonic the Hedgehog
B - Pac-Man
C - Donkey Kong
D - Frogger
Answer
Adam looks intently at the question, rubbing his lip with his finger. He finally decides to take the money. Afterward Meredith says that Adam looked as if he wanted to go for it and what his answer would have been. Good thing he took the money - he thought it was B

A - Sonic the Hedgehog (4)
Answer tree
$100K - C (chocolate brownie)
$250K - A (Sonic the Hedgehog)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 10/17/2008 - Adam Pinson (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:20 pm

$100K: I knew immediately that the first TV dinner was turkey, stuffing, potatoes, and peas.

$250K: No earthly clue on this question. This could be a perfect question to phone a friend on. A Google search of "video game character gene" gives the Wikipedia article on the Sonic hedhehog gene amongst the first 10 hits.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Whoa! Two nasty questions. No clue on the $100K, and only recalled the $250K after seeing the answer. But good to see a teacher getting the $100K.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Never really been a consumer of Swanson dinners, but it seems like I remember
dessert wasn't included in the early ones.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Weyoun

#5 Post by Weyoun » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:12 pm

There is a trend in given genes stupid names, as this demonstrates. I think my favorite is for the Xenopus frog, "Noggin."

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by ontellen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:28 pm

I agree, Kay. Since I'm old enough to remember the first Swanson dinners (not my thing either), I remembered that they didn't include dessert.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Adam Pinson
Pinson, AL
History teacher

$100K - Which of these food items was not featured in the first-ever Swanson TV dinner?
A - cornbread stuffing
B - buttered peas
C - chocolate brownie
D - sweet potatoes
Answer
Adam hates to do it but he's going to have to use his last lifeline. He stops the clock with 24 seconds to use his Double Dip. He makes D his first final answer; that's not correct so he goes with C and this time he's right!

C - chocolate brownie (15)
Didn't someone predict that the question would be about the 1st TV dinner? [ADDED: yes, it was gsabc] As for the answer, it was pretty simple, given that desserts haven't been in TV dinners for all that long. And, as Bored Buddies all know, the first dinner had turkey, making stuffing and sweet potatoes likely go-alongs.

Meredith says Adam risked a lot of money. Adam replies that fortune favors the bold. Meredith says that Adam didn't strike her as a gambler. He says he isn't very good at it and normally it doesn't work out so well.

commercial break

During the break Adam said the experience seemed surreal. He appreciates being here and that his dad could be here to watch him. Meredith then asks his dad, Robert, who says that they're very proud of him. His mother, Nancy, adds, "What else can we say?"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K - What video game character shares his name with a much-studied human gene that affects finger and toe placement?
A - Sonic the Hedgehog
B - Pac-Man
C - Donkey Kong
D - Frogger
Answer
Adam looks intently at the question, rubbing his lip with his finger. He finally decides to take the money. Afterward Meredith says that Adam looked as if he wanted to go for it and what his answer would have been. Good thing he took the money - he thought it was B

A - Sonic the Hedgehog (4)
Absolutely no idea here. I still have all my lifelines but I think the only one to use is PAF, and even then it might be dicey.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith says Adam risked a lot of money. Adam replies that fortune favors the bold. Meredith says that Adam didn't strike her as a gambler. He says he isn't very good at it and normally it doesn't work out so well.
Bravo to Adam for his willingness to use his Double Dip to give him a 50/50 shot at a situation offering him an extra $50K and the change to go on, at the risk of $25K. The APs should try casting for more contestants like that.

I had heard about the Sonic Hedgehog (no "the", IIRC) gene in another forum.