Transcript 10/17/2008 - Jennifer Harper

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/17/2008 - Jennifer Harper

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Jennifer Harper
Atlanta, GA
Writer and producer

Topic tree:
- It Takes a Village
- The Internet
- Dubya
- '70s Movies
- Quit Cold Turkey
- Indecent Proposals
- Eggs
- Celebrity Weddings
- Texting
- The Cosmos
- Auto Mechanics
- Children's Songs
- Magic Shell
- Woodchucks
- World Leaders

$100 - What world leader is traditionally elected by a group of holy men known as the College of Cardinals?
A - Queen of England
B - Pope
C - U.S. President
D - Host of "Millionaire"
Answer
Jennifer said "P" rather than "B", but added "Pope".

B - Pope (8)
$200 - On which of these holidays do people traditionally the behavioral patterns of woodchucks?
A - Independence Day
B - Groundhog Day
C - Valentine's Day
D - Arbor Day
Answer
B - Groundhog Day (2)
$300 - Smucker's popular "Magic Shell" sauces are designed to go from liquid to solid after being poured on what?
A - pasta
B - potato chips
C - ice cream
D - salad
Answer
C - ice cream (10)
$500 - What traditional children's song features the nonsense phrase "knick-knack paddywhack"?
A - Three Blind Mice
B - A-Hunting We Will Go
C - Itsy-Bitsy Spider
D - This Old Man
Answer
D - This Old House (5)
$1K - The terms "5-speed manual" and "4-speed automatic" refer to an automobile's what?
A - transmission
B - brakes
C - steering
D - wheels
Answer
A - transmission (6)
Meredith says that will pay some of Jennifer's bills.

commercial break

Jennifer is a writer and producer. Her previous experience on a game show didn't go well. She and some friends were in the audience at "The Price is Right" and they called out "Jennifer Har..." and she jumped to her feet and climbed over her friends but it turned they were looking for "Jennifer Harwell".

Jennifer has earned the "Ask the Expert" lifeline. Kristen Baldwin is today's expert, from Entertainment Weekly.

$2K - What term do cosmologists use to refer to the fact that Earth can support life because its physical components are "just right"?
A - The Rapunzel Effect
B - The Snow White Effect
C - The Goldilocks Effect
D - The Rumpelstiltskin Effect
Answer
Jennifer thinks for a few seconds then her face brightens. "I think I know this one," she says.

C - The Goldilocks Effect (8)
$4K - In the text messaging abbreviation "YGTBKM", the "Y" stands for "You've", the "M" stands for "me" and the "K" stands for what?
A - kicking
B - keyboard
C - kidding
D - keg
Answer
Jennifer says that she's not into texting but "You're kidding me" makes sense.

C - kidding (8)
$8K - In 2008, Ellen DeGeneris announced plans to marry her her longtime girlfriend, a former cast member of what sitcom?
A - Arrested Development
B - Scrubs
C - That '70s Show
D - Will & Grace
Answer
Jennifer thinks she knows this and decides to answer without using a lifeline.

A - Arrested Development (11)
Meredith thought that Jennifer, as a producer, would know this one.

$16K - Usually white or brown, the shell color of chicken eggs is determined by which of these factors?
A - when the egg is laid
B - the hen's diet
C - the weather
D - the breed of hen
Answer
Jennifer gives it some thought and then decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 1%
B - 24%
C - 3%
D - 72%

Jennifer goes with the audience's answer.

D - the breed of hen (8)
Meredith says that Jennifer is building herself a golden egg.

commercial break

Jennifer's father was the first black psychologist in Wisconsin. He's passed away and Jennifer would like to do something to honor him with the money she wins. She wants to start a scholarship fund for at-risk children to help them go to college because after her father's funeral many people came up to her and her siblings and told them how he had helped them get a GED or get into college.

$25K - In a landmark congressional hearing, the famous line "Have you no sense of decency, sir?" was addressed to whom?
A - Joseph McCarthy
B - H.R. Haldeman
C - Oliver North
D - Bill Clinton
Answer
With 16 seconds left Jennifer decides to use her Double Dip. She chooses "C" for her first final answer. That's incorrect, so the clock starts again. She makes "A" her final answer with 12 seconds left.

A - Joseph McCarthy (12)
$50K - What children's book was reissued in 2005 with a photo of illustrator Clement Hurd digitally altered to remove the cigarette from his hand?
A - The Little Engine that Could
B - Harold and the Purple Crayon
C - Goodnight Moon
D - Make Way for Ducklings
Answer
Jennifer ponders the question and with 21 seconds left decides to use another lifeline - Ask the Expert. Kristen comes up on the monitor. Meredith asks if she's ready. "I'm ready, I'm in the zone." Kristen says, "Feeling really smart. And that's not something I'm used to feeling." Kristen's gut is telling her the answer is B and she's about 40% sure. It's a guess but it's also a gut feeling. Jennifer was thinking it might be A; she's pretty sure it's not C. Since both women are going with their guts, Kristen advises Jennifer to go with whatever she feels more confortable with. The call ends and Jennifer says that her gut tells her to use her last lifeline, so with 17 seconds left she decides to phone a friend.

Jennifer's PAF list consists of: Sister-in-law Beth from White Plains, NY; brother Hoyt, also from White Plains; and Marshall, her cousin (and a deputy sheriff) from Decatur, GA.

Jennifer decides to call Beth. It takes almost 20 seconds to read the questions and answers. Beth asks to repeat the answers but there's no time. The call ends as Beth says, "Make Way..."

Jennifer decides to go with Beth's answer, and it's not right.

C - Goodnight Moon (8)
THE HORN!!!!!!
Answer tree
$100 - B (Pope)
$200 - B (Groundhog Day)
$300 - C (ice cream)
$500 - D (This Old Man)
$1K - A (transmission)
$2K - C (The Goldilocks Effect)
$4K - C (kidding)
$8K - A (Arrested Development)
$16K - D (the breed of hen)
$25K - A (Joseph McCarthy)
$50K - C (Goodnight Moon)

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 10/17/2008 - Jennifer Harper

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 pm

I was surprised at the high audience total for the right answer on the egg question. I was torn between B and D. Double Dip time for me.

I would need either ATE or ATA on the previous question. Pop culture, the audience might know.

That last question was tough. PaF a libraian.
I'm just a game show nerd.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:27 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jennifer Harper
Atlanta, GA
Writer and producer
A What Else® whom I met at my audition.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:- It Takes a Village
- The Internet
- Dubya
- '70s Movies
- Quit Cold Turkey
- Indecent Proposals
- Eggs
- Celebrity Weddings
- Texting
- The Cosmos
- Auto Mechanics
- Children's Songs
- Magic Shell
- Woodchucks
- World Leaders
A lot of odd categories up here. There's no telling how this will go for me at first glance.

$16K: No clue on this. I would also try the audience.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In a landmark congressional hearing, the famous line "Have you no sense of decency, sir?" was addressed to whom?
A - Joseph McCarthy
B - H.R. Haldeman
C - Oliver North
D - Bill Clinton
Pretty interesting that they asked this question, considering that I posted this quote in a highly-political post a few days ago.

$50K: Didn't know about the removal of the ciggy, but I did know that Hurd did "Goodnight Moon".

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:45 pm

The $4K would have given me fits with the clock running. It took me a while to figure it out just sitting at my computer. Probably ATA on it.

Would have taken time on the egg question, too, just to think it through an extra time, but would not have needed a lifeline.

Big smile on my face for $25K. Tail Gunner Joe was the subject of several essays in high school and college.

PAF on the $50K. Couldn't even hazard a reasonable guess.

Not a great stack, but okay. ATE and DD left going for $100K (assuming my PAF comes through).
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:54 pm

I gotta go dig out my copy of Goodnight Moon and see if it
has that photo of Hurd. Never paid any attention to that before.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jennifer Harper
Atlanta, GA
Writer and producer
Evidently she works in television from comments Meredith makes later. So definitely a WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 - What world leader is traditionally elected by a group of holy men known as the College of Cardinals?
A - Queen of England
B - Pope
C - U.S. President
D - Host of "Millionaire"
Answer
Jennifer said "P" rather than "B", but added "Pope".

B - Pope (8)
I guess since "P" isn't a valid choice there was no chance of mistaking her answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jennifer has earned the "Ask the Expert" lifeline. Kristen Baldwin is today's expert, from Entertainment Weekly.
I hope Kristen has learned something since her last appearance.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - In 2008, Ellen DeGeneris announced plans to marry her her longtime girlfriend, a former cast member of what sitcom?
A - Arrested Development
B - Scrubs
C - That '70s Show
D - Will & Grace
Answer
Jennifer thinks she knows this and decides to answer without using a lifeline.

A - Arrested Development (11)
Meredith thought that Jennifer, as a producer, would know this one.
Surprisingly, so did I.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Usually white or brown, the shell color of chicken eggs is determined by which of these factors?
A - when the egg is laid
B - the hen's diet
C - the weather
D - the breed of hen
Answer
Jennifer gives it some thought and then decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 1%
B - 24%
C - 3%
D - 72%

Jennifer goes with the audience's answer.

D - the breed of hen (8)
I'm a city boy born and raised. I would have been torn between B and D (as was the mostly urban NYC audience). I think I would have had to use the Double Dip here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In a landmark congressional hearing, the famous line "Have you no sense of decency, sir?" was addressed to whom?
A - Joseph McCarthy
B - H.R. Haldeman
C - Oliver North
D - Bill Clinton

Answer
With 16 seconds left Jennifer decides to use her Double Dip. She chooses "C" for her first final answer. That's incorrect, so the clock starts again. She makes "A" her final answer with 12 seconds left.

A - Joseph McCarthy (12)

elwing was watching with me and she got the right answer. I asked if she had known the answer and she replied, "No, but it sounds like something that would have been said a long time ago and the others are too contemporary."

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - What children's book was reissued in 2005 with a photo of illustrator Clement Hurd digitally altered to remove the cigarette from his hand?
A - The Little Engine that Could
B - Harold and the Purple Crayon
C - Goodnight Moon
D - Make Way for Ducklings

Answer
Jennifer ponders the question and with 21 seconds left decides to use another lifeline - Ask the Expert. Kristen comes up on the monitor. Meredith asks if she's ready. "I'm ready, I'm in the zone." Kristen says, "Feeling really smart. And that's not something I'm used to feeling." Kristen's gut is telling her the answer is B and she's about 40% sure. It's a guess but it's also a gut feeling. Jennifer was thinking it might be A; she's pretty sure it's not C. Since both women are going with their guts, Kristen advises Jennifer to go with whatever she feels more confortable with. The call ends and Jennifer says that her gut tells her to use her last lifeline, so with 17 seconds left she decides to phone a friend.

Jennifer's PAF list consists of: Sister-in-law Beth from White Plains, NY; brother Hoyt, also from White Plains; and Marshall, her cousin (and a deputy sheriff) from Decatur, GA.

Jennifer decides to call Beth. It takes almost 20 seconds to read the questions and answers. Beth asks to repeat the answers but there's no time. The call ends as Beth says, "Make Way..."

Jennifer decides to go with Beth's answer, and it's not right.

C - Goodnight Moon (8)

Well, whether Kristen felt smarter or not, she did the right thing in telling the contestant how sure she was and advising her not to be too certain of her (Kristen's) answer. Had Beth been using Google it would have been an easy lookup. As for me, I'd be using PAF also because I don't think the expert would know, nor the audience.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#7 Post by slam » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:45 am

Clement Hurd was something I just happened to know. I'm sure I read "Goodnight Moon" with my kids at least 100 times and could easily visualize the cover with the names Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd on it.