Recipe from Epicurious

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Re: Recipe from Epicurious

#26 Post by gsabc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:39 pm

christie1111 wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:Christie -

Have you seen this site?

http://www.delish.com/

I like it almost as much as foodnetwork.com. It has more lifestyle stuff than on FN. It has some really cute pumpkin carving idears.

:)
Thanks! Looks good.

I registered to win a $250K kitchen makeover. That would just about do it!

:-)
I enter that one through their Redbook version. I put in GW's name for this one, while I was there.

I need to find GW's horribly decadent chocolate cake recipe for you all, the one which contains 18 ounces of chocolate and 1-1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream. No reason why I should be the only one getting fat around here.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Tocqueville3

#27 Post by Tocqueville3 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:01 am

tlynn78 wrote:Not a recipe, but tocq's pumpkin comment reminded me; when i am gutting the pumpkins to prepare them for carving, I don't cut off the tops, I cut off the bottoms. (or the hole goes in the side if I want the stalk to be the 'nose') It makes it very simple to put the candle on my porch, then set the pumpkin down over it, and I don't have to mess with the lids - which always used to fall inside the pumpkins before I figured this trick out.

t.
That's a great idea! I love the idea of the stem being the nose.

I think I saw somewhere they make flameless candles just for pumpkins. They have a little prong on the bottom that sticks in the pumpkin but it still flickers so it looks real. I think I might hafta find one of these. I have been known to burn a pumpkin or two. Besides, I like the way a jack-o-lantern looks with the top on.

This year, if I can get some cooperation from my husband and kids (yeah, riiiiiight) I'm gonna carve a pumpkin for each child. I have more room on my porch than I did at our old house so i can carve pumpkins galore!
"I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable."
--George Costanza

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#28 Post by kayrharris » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:31 am

This is a good one appropriate for the season:

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crumb Crust
1 cup(s) graham-cracker crumbs
3 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter, melted
2 tablespoon(s) sugar
Pumpkin Filling
2 package(s) (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
1 can(s) (15 ounces) pure pumpkin, (not pumpkin-pie mix)
3/4 cup(s) sour cream
2 tablespoon(s) bourbon, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
4 large eggs
Sour-Cream Topping
1 cup(s) sour cream
3 tablespoon(s) sugar
1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
Crystallized ginger strips, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In 9" by 3" springform pan, with fork, stir graham-cracker crumbs, melted margarine or butter, and sugar until moistened. With hand, press mixture onto bottom of pan. Tightly wrap outside of pan with heavy-duty foil to prevent leakage when baking in water bath later. Bake crust 10 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth; slowly beat in sugar until blended, about 1 minute, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula. With mixer at low speed, beat in pumpkin, sour cream, bourbon or vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
3. Pour pumpkin mixture into crust and place in large roasting pan. Place pan on oven rack. Carefully pour enough boiling water into pan to come 1 inch up side of springform pan. Bake cheesecake 1 hour 10 minutes or until center barely jiggles.
4. Meanwhile, prepare Sour-Cream Topping: In small bowl, with wire whisk, beat sour cream, sugar, and vanilla until blended. Remove cheesecake from water bath, leaving water bath in oven, and spread sour-cream mixture evenly over top. Return cake to water bath and bake 5 minutes longer.
5. Remove cheesecake from water bath to wire rack; discard foil. With small knife, loosen cheesecake from side of pan to help prevent cracking during cooling. Cool cheesecake completely. Cover and refrigerate cheesecake at least 6 hours or overnight, until well chilled. Remove side of pan to serve. Garnish with crystallized ginger.

Rafferbee

#29 Post by Rafferbee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:27 pm

This is delicious. Its from my neighborhood's cookbook.

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup butter, melted
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

Stir first three ingredients into melted butter in large bowl. Press mixture into 13x9 inch ungreased baking pan. Spread melted chocolate evenly over top. Chill approximately 30 minutes, and cut into small squares.

christie1111
11:11

#30 Post by christie1111 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 pm

I am really enjoying this thread a lot!

One appetizer I make that is incredibly simple are a knock off of good English Sausage rolls. I think I posted it on the other bored but since that is gone, I will post it here...

Two ingredients and a dipping sauce.

24 Breakfast sausage links
1 box Frozen Puff Pastry.

Defrost both. Cut each puff pastry sheet into 12 rectangles. Wrap around the sausages sealing the edge with water.

Cook according to puff pastry directions, usually 15 minutes at 400F.

Serve with 'brown sauce'. Look for it in the imported food section near any English/Irish food. It is basically a savory ketchup.

Basically an up-scale pig in the blanket. And who doesn't like them!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#31 Post by kayrharris » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Working with puff pastry is about like me working with phyllo dough. I bet I'll never find that brown sauce anywhere around here either.
This recipe with crescent rolls works well - I use the mini cocktail weiners.

2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
48 cocktail-sized smoked link sausages or hot dogs (from 16-oz package)
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll both cans of the dough; separate into 16 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 narrow triangles.
2. Place sausage on shortest side of each triangle. Roll up each, starting at shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point; place point side down on 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of cookie sheets halfway through baking. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#32 Post by kayrharris » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:47 pm

Another recipe with cocktail weiners that works well is
a mixture of 3/4 cup yellow mustard and 1 eight ounce jar
of red currant jelly. Heat through add cocktail weiners and
enjoy!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

gotribego26

#33 Post by gotribego26 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:21 pm

The best hot fudge in the world is the one from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts. It's thick and rich and delicious and heavenly and is really, really easy to make. In her words:
"This is very thick, coal black, as shiny as wet tar, and not too sweet. It will turn chewy and even thicker when it is served over cold ice cream -- great! It may be served hot or warm, but at room temperature or chilled it will be too thick [Linda -- not too thick to eat with a spoon by itself]. It may be refrigerated for a week or two before serving.

THE WORLD'S BEST HOT FUDGE SAUCE

1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons sweet butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup strained unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (it must be Dutch process to have the right color and flavor)

Stir the cream and butter in a heavy 1-quart saucepan over moderate heat until the butter is melted and the cream just comes to a low boil. Add both sugars and stir for a few minutes until they are dissolved. (The surest test is to taste; cook and taste until you do not feel any undissolved granules in your mouth.)
Reduce heat. Add salt and cocoa and stir briskly with a small whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately, or reheat slowly, stirring frequently, in a double boiler over hot water or in a heavy saucepan over the lowest heat. If reheated, it may need a little hot water.