Transcript 10/22/08: Chris Bartell (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/22/08: Chris Bartell (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Chris Bartell
Queens, NY
Social Studies and Special Ed Teacher at Aviation High School

Among other bantering about his school, Chris mentions that his Dad (who is in the audience) is his hero, and he hopes one day to be just as great a man...to which his dad says he already is. Chris has $4,000, and three lifelines (PAF, DD and ATE) remaining. His category tree:

It's on the House
The Solar System
Billy Crystal
Big Words
World War II
By-Products
The Taliban
Literary Orphans
(Pop Inspiration)
(National Forests)
(Recent Flicks)
(Slang)
(The Economist)
(Vegetarian Dishes)
(Playing Hooky)

$8,000 (Literary Orphans): Which of these literary children is not an orphan?
A: Encyclopedia Brown B: Oliver Twist
C: Anne of Green Gables D: Tom Sawyer

Chris uses his ATE lifeline, some chickie from Tulsa. She looks good, though.
Spoiler
Nancy guesses A., since she's sure Oliver and Anne are, and "Tom Sawyer...I don't remember any siblings in that house..." Chris asks how sure she is, and Nancy says she's pretty sure.

Chris goes with Nancy, and moves on....

A. Encyclopedia Brown (8)
$16,000 (The Taliban): In the mid-1990s, an ultraconservative religious faction known as the Taliban rose to power in what Middle Eastern country?
A: Pakistan B. Iraq
C: Iran D: Afghanistan
Spoiler
D: Afghanistan (22)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Meredith leadingly mentions that, like most teachers, Chris gives not only his time and knowledge, but also opens his wallet for his kids for computer programs, books, art supplies and the like. Meredith then mentions that CVS is donating $1,000 to help defray those costs!

$25,000 (By-Products): As a health conscious person might tell you, flaxseeds produce which of these oils?
A: Canola oil B: Linseed oil
C: Castor oil D: Hemp oil
Spoiler
B: Linseed oil (4)
$50,000 (World War II): The Enola Gay, the WWII plane that dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, was named after what?
A: An Arkansas town B: A jazz song
C: A movie actress D: The pilot's mother

Chris elects to Double Dip.
Spoiler
For his first answer, Chris chooses D: The pilot's mother. Meredith asks him if he'd like to give a second answer...."Just for fun, you don't have to, it's the pilot's mother!"

D: The pilot's mother (28)

Meredith: "Chris, in the school of Millionaire, that's called 'messin' with ya' and I won't do it again...until the next time I do it again!"
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Meredith mentions that during the break, Chris turned to her and sweetly said, "I HATE YOU!" (presumably for "messin' with him").

Chris wants to go back to school and get some advanced degrees, and put down some money on a piece of property.

Chris' lucky charm is his favorite piece of literature, a one-line poem he carries with him always, written by his favorite author, his girlfriend Alison, which he won't quote.

$100,000 (Big Words): What does an oniomaniac love to do?
A: Kiss B: Cook
C: Shop D: Dance

Chris uses his last lifeline, the PAF. Standing by are Patrick (Rego Park, NY), a fellow history teacher at his high school; his friend Edward (Whitestone, NY); and his brother-in-law, Patrick (Brooklyn, NY).

Chris calls his brother-in-law, Patrick. Chris: "Patrick: Oniomaniac, O-N-I-O-maniac...what does he love to do?" Despite the good use of his PAF, Patrick can't come up with an answer. Chris decides to go for it, and guesses
Spoiler
Chris guesses D, Dance with 4 seconds left.

C: Shop (4)
Chris leaves with $25,000.

gsabc

Re: Transcript 10/22/09: Chris Bartell (carryover)

#2 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:52 pm

There's something you don't see every day, Chauncey, a teacher willing to gamble. Too bad it didn't work out for him.

Did the PAF give any indication of Googling or looking through a dictionary? I would imagine that it's easy to Google.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

macrae1234

#3 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:56 pm

oniomaniac what would that be a 10 second google
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:57 pm

gsabc wrote: Did the PAF give any indication of Googling or looking through a dictionary? I would imagine that it's easy to Google.
I assume he was trying to do one or the other, but he didn't provide any feedback except for saying "I don't--" as time expired. That word likely isn't in any of the smaller dictionaries, so I hope he trying it on-line, instead.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:51 am

$8K: I know that Twist and Sawyer were orphans, but not sure on the other two. I will also ask hermillion.

$25K: Castor oil and hemp oil are different plants entirely. Not sure on the other two. Double Dip on canola, then linseed.

$50K: Easiest WWII question ever. I actually got this before the choices came up.

$100K: Pretty sure it's shop... but in the Hot Seat, I would PAF.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chris Bartell
Queens, NY
Social Studies and Special Ed Teacher at Aviation High School
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Literary Orphans): Which of these literary children is not an orphan?
A: Encyclopedia Brown B: Oliver Twist
C: Anne of Green Gables D: Tom Sawyer

Chris uses his ATE lifeline, some chickie from Tulsa. She looks good, though.
Spoiler
Nancy guesses A., since she's sure Oliver and Anne are, and "Tom Sawyer...I don't remember any siblings in that house..." Chris asks how sure she is, and Nancy says she's pretty sure.

Chris goes with Nancy, and moves on....

A. Encyclopedia Brown (8)
My oldest son was a big fan of the Encyclopedia Brown series, so I've read some of them. I used the same process of elimination to come up with the correct answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 (Big Words): What does an oniomaniac love to do?
A: Kiss B: Cook
C: Shop D: Dance

Chris uses his last lifeline, the PAF. Standing by are Patrick (Rego Park, NY), a fellow history teacher at his high school; his friend Edward (Whitestone, NY); and his brother-in-law, Patrick (Brooklyn, NY).

Chris calls his brother-in-law, Patrick. Chris: "Patrick: Oniomaniac, O-N-I-O-maniac...what does he love to do?" Despite the good use of his PAF, Patrick can't come up with an answer. Chris decides to go for it, and guesses
Spoiler
Chris guesses D, Dance with 4 seconds left.

C: Shop (4)
This is a toughie. Fortunately I have all my lifelines, so it's time to start using them, beginning with PAF. From listening to the exchange between Chris and Patrick it sure seemed as if Chris was expecting Patrick to use some resource to find the answer, but probably not Google. Perhaps a dictionary. I admire Chris for having the guts to go for it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#7 Post by slam » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:29 am

On the "orphan" question, I was sure that Oliver Twist and Tom Sawyer (remember Aunt Polly?) were orphans. I had a vague suspicion that Anne of Green Gables was also for the reason mentioned on the show (she was sent there). But, I also had a strong memory that Encyclopedia Brown talked about cases with his father. I had thought that his father was a detective, but now that I looked it up, turns out that he was the local police chief. Close enough.

Enola Gay was just one of this random trivia tidbits that you had either picked up along the way or hadn't.

I was clueless at oniomaniac, but shouldn't this have been a really easy online lookup? (Note to self: Keep dictionary.com as well as google open when serving as a PAF).

15QuestionsAway

#8 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Chris used his Ask the Expert with 13 seconds left on question 8 ($8k). Also, the BBTranscript team may want to correct the year in the title of this post.
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

megaaddict

#9 Post by megaaddict » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 am

Just a head's up to the selfless hard-working bored administrators that this thread didn't seem to make it to the show transcript's forum. :o
(oh and the year has a typo in the subject)