That's my partner

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

That's my partner

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:19 am

I've mentioned that I'm starting to form a partnership with one of the local pros. (We'll be playing, by the way, in the next stage of the North American Open Pairs on Sunday.) He's quoted in this article from the New York Times. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:27 am

So Bob which one is your friend? or you may prefer not to name him here.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

christie1111
11:11

Re: That's my partner

#3 Post by christie1111 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:I've mentioned that I'm starting to form a partnership with one of the local pros. (We'll be playing, by the way, in the next stage of the North American Open Pairs on Sunday.) He's quoted in this article from the New York Times. --Bob
I hope your friend isn't one facing sanctions. That might make the partnership awkward. Would you both not be able to play?
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:18 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:So Bob which one is your friend? or you may prefer not to name him here.
The Los Angeles expert quoted in the fifth paragraph, who thinks the team is getting a raw deal. I'm inclined to agree with him. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kusch

#5 Post by kusch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:13 pm

Good luck Bob, I hope to check back on Monday and see a great result!!!

My two cents on the sign. I was offended and find that kind of stuff in poor taste. Protest all you want here or anywhere but do not tie your protest in with any other event. I do think the "sanctions" they are talking about are too extreme. Rap them on the knuckles and be done.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: That's my partner

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I've mentioned that I'm starting to form a partnership with one of the local pros. (We'll be playing, by the way, in the next stage of the North American Open Pairs on Sunday.) He's quoted in this article from the New York Times. --Bob
Good luck on Sunday!

macrae1234

#7 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:00 pm

I am glad to see the French team gave there support. I wonder if that was before or after their loss to the German team.
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 pm

I agree with Kusch and Kleinman, the sanctions are too much:

At issue is a crudely lettered sign, scribbled on the back of a menu, that was held up at an awards dinner and read, “We did not vote for Bush.”

. . .

“This isn’t a free-speech issue,” said Jan Martel, president of the United States Bridge Federation, the nonprofit group that selects teams for international tournaments. “There isn’t any question that private organizations can control the speech of people who represent them.”

Not so, said Danny Kleinman, a professional bridge player, teacher and columnist. “If the U.S.B.F. wants to impose conditions of membership that involve curtailment of free speech, then it cannot claim to represent our country in international competition,” he said by e-mail.

Here's what I think is the crux of the issue:

Ms. Martel said the action by the team, which had won the Venice Cup, the women’s title, at the Shanghai event, could cost the federation corporate sponsors.

This is creepy:

Alan Falk, a lawyer for the federation, wrote the four team members on Nov. 6, “I am instructed to press for greater sanction against anyone who rejects this compromise offer.”

Selective enforcement is even more creepy:

David L. Anderson, a bridge player who supports the team, said it was common to see players at international tournaments sporting buttons bearing the date “1-20-09,” when George W. Bush will hand off to a new president, as well as buttons reading “Support Our Troops.”

“They don’t go after those people,” Mr. Anderson said.

I heard plenty of Clinton bashing in the eight years he served, but I never heard anybody complaining about a "We didn't vote for Clinton" sign.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I agree with Kusch and Kleinman, the sanctions are too much . . . .
Here's the way I look at it -- if a baseball player aired his political views during, say, the World Series parade, would we talk about suspending him at all, much less for the season?

The remedy for speech is more speech, not enforced silence. If the USBF has a problem with what the team did, it should use persuasion, not coercion, and as big a megaphone as it cares to wield. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

For those who may be following this matter, the dispute has settled. By the way, one of the affected players, Jill Meyers, played the same game Sunday at which my partner and I failed to qualify. As it happens, they were the only pair in the field that we failed to play against. But she mentioned the fact of the settlement, which apparently occurred Saturday night. --Bob

BDMs partner
Merry Man

#11 Post by BDMs partner » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 pm

I'm looking for a new partner....