Transcript 10/24/2008 - Denice Brannigan (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/24/2008 - Denice Brannigan (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Denice Brannigan
San Diego, CA
First and Second Grade teacher

It's the final day of Teacher Week.

Denice's kids sometimes call her "Mommy" and occasionally "Daddy". Meredith shows a video that Denice's class prepared to surprise her. Meredith also gives Denice a $1000 CVS gift certificate.

Topic tree:
- Big Bucks
- Heavy Medals
- Aloha
- March Headlines
- Blackboard Jungles
- The Ballot Box
- Hip-Hop
- Eureka Moments
- MTV
- The City of Fez
- Healthy Living
- Call Your Parents
- Quite Inventive
- Birthday Suits
- Science Lab

$8K - According to legend, what game's appeareance helped chemist Dmitri Mendeleyev devise the look of the periodic table?
A - chess
B - backgammon
C - solitaire
D - dominoes
Spoiler
Denice's classes don't cover this subject. With 17 seconds remaining Denice decides to Ask the Audience.

ATA results:
A - 40%
B - 21%
C - 11%
D - 28%

This doesn't help so with 12 seconds left Denice decides to use Double Dip. Not that she doesn't trust the audience but her gut was leading her toward D, so she makes that her first final answer. That's incorrect. She says she's sorry she doubted the audience and says, "I meant to say 'A'" and makes that her second final answer. Unfortunately the audience wasn't right, either.

C - solitaire (9)
commercial break
Spoiler
ANSWERS:
C - solitaire
[/b]

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 10/24/2008 - Denice Brannigan (carryover)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:38 am

The WWOQ® strikes again. This question was severely undervalued. I thought for sure it was chess.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:46 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:The WWOQ® strikes again. This question was severely undervalued. I thought for sure it was chess.
C'mon, you know there are more than 64 elements and the PTotE is not square. It was fairly simple if you know what the periodic table looks like. It in no way resembles the appearance of chess, backgammon nor dominoes.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:05 am

Estonut wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:The WWOQ® strikes again. This question was severely undervalued. I thought for sure it was chess.
C'mon, you know there are more than 64 elements and the PTotE is not square. It was fairly simple if you know what the periodic table looks like. It in no way resembles the appearance of chess, backgammon nor dominoes.
There are a lot fewer cards in solitaire than there are squares on a chessboard.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:20 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:There are a lot fewer cards in solitaire than there are squares on a chessboard.
There are many multi-deck solitaire games. You keep missing the phrasing of the question, ie "what game's appearance". Look at a periodic table. It resembles the staggered stacks of cards in solitaire. It in no way resembles any of the other games in appearance.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:30 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Denice Brannigan
San Diego, CA
First and Second Grade teacher
It's the final day of Teacher Week.

Denice's kids sometimes call her "Mommy" and occasionally "Daddy". Meredith shows a video that Denice's class prepared to surprise her. Meredith also gives Denice a $1000 CVS gift certificate.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - According to legend, what game's appeareance helped chemist Dmitri Mendeleyev devise the look of the periodic table?
A - chess
B - backgammon
C - solitaire
D - dominoes
Spoiler
Denice's classes don't cover this subject. With 17 seconds remaining Denice decides to Ask the Audience.

ATA results:
A - 40%
B - 21%
C - 11%
D - 28%

This doesn't help so with 12 seconds left Denice decides to use Double Dip. Not that she doesn't trust the audience but her gut was leading her toward D, so she makes that her first final answer. That's incorrect. She says she's sorry she doubted the audience and says, "I meant to say 'A'" and makes that her second final answer. Unfortunately the audience wasn't right, either.

C - solitaire (9)
This is a real toughie - I can elmiinate B and D. Because of the lengths of the various columns, it could be C, but because it's composed of lots of boxes it could be A. I'd take the Double Dip and make those my two final answers.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:44 am

I had the right answer, but I agree that this shouldn't be an $8K question. The overwhelming dursting by the audience (only 11% for the right answer!) supports that assessment.