Plea for Pity and Sympathy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
wintergreen48

Plea for Pity and Sympathy

#1 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm

I really need some pity, sympathy, something.

I am nearing the end of the second day of a migraine, which is particularly annoying because usually my migraines only last one day: I usually lose consciousness or fall asleep after 12 or 15 hours, and then I wake up 9 hours later and I am fine, although very tired. This one has now lasted 48 hours, and doesn't seem to want to give up. And I haven't had any of the really fun stuff (so far, the pretty colors that come with the hallucinations have not started), but all the nasty stuff is there (pain, nausea, pain, dizziness, pain, sensitivity to light and sound, pain, and did I mention that there is a lot of pain?)

Another piece that sucks is that I can't just go home and lie down: I'm on the road doing a risk assessment on a bank that we acquired last year (even though my Services Will No Longer Be Required after December 5, I am apparently still very much in demand until that time). The locals will be taking me out to dinner at a steak house that is supposed to be the best restaurant in Melville, NY, and I really like steak, and Melville is OK, but I feel like crap, but it will not be politically correct for me to decline the invitation (not that I am worried about getting fired or anything...) And since I have already maxed out on Aleve, I can't even join them for a beer since (I've been told) my liver will explode if I pour any alcohol on top of the stuff in the Aleve.

This bites.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:26 pm

poor baby

there there

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Try a nice cool cloth on your forehead, that sometimes helps, although you may be past that point by now. I can certainly empathize with you. For some reason I'm thinking you're not a coffee drinker, but caffeine will also help in some cases, so an alternative source of caffeine might also help.

Good luck. If it's really bad, I wouldn't think twice about begging out of the dinner. Really.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:35 pm

You can have sympathy, and you can think I'm nuts, but do what I tell you anyway. You have nothing to lose but pain.

Sit in a comfortable chair and clasp your hands together. Concentrate on moving blood from your brain into your hands. You will feel your hands starting to get warmer as the blood moves toward your fingers. Concentrate. You can do this. Your body is yours to command. Move the blood. Feel your hands get warm. You can do anything. You can do this. Don't stop until your hands grow warm, whether it takes 2 minutes or 20. Move the blood. Feel your hands grow warm.

This is the basic premise of a biofeedback technique that has kept me from misery for the past 30 years. It doesn't eliminate the aura, but that's not your problem today. Some people can't do it. You can.

Bob Juch

Re: Plea for Pity and Sympathy

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:37 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:The locals will be taking me out to dinner at a steak house that is supposed to be the best restaurant in Melville, NY, and I really like steak, and Melville is OK
That's across the street from my office. I've eaten there many times. That is the best restaurant in Melville, but there are better ones nearby. I hope the steak stays down. :(

traininvain

#6 Post by traininvain » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:53 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:I really need some pity, sympathy, something.

I am nearing the end of the second day of a migraine, which is particularly annoying because usually my migraines only last one day: I usually lose consciousness or fall asleep after 12 or 15 hours, and then I wake up 9 hours later and I am fine, although very tired. This one has now lasted 48 hours, and doesn't seem to want to give up. And I haven't had any of the really fun stuff (so far, the pretty colors that come with the hallucinations have not started), but all the nasty stuff is there (pain, nausea, pain, dizziness, pain, sensitivity to light and sound, pain, and did I mention that there is a lot of pain?)

Another piece that sucks is that I can't just go home and lie down: I'm on the road doing a risk assessment on a bank that we acquired last year (even though my Services Will No Longer Be Required after December 5, I am apparently still very much in demand until that time). The locals will be taking me out to dinner at a steak house that is supposed to be the best restaurant in Melville, NY, and I really like steak, and Melville is OK, but I feel like crap, but it will not be politically correct for me to decline the invitation (not that I am worried about getting fired or anything...) And since I have already maxed out on Aleve, I can't even join them for a beer since (I've been told) my liver will explode if I pour any alcohol on top of the stuff in the Aleve.

This bites.
Sorry about the migraine, hope it goes away soon. I get them too, although they usually only last a day at the most.

Sounds like you'll be dining at the Blackstone Steak House, I've never been there but I hear it is very good (and very pricey). A friend of mine bartends there, so if your at the bar say hi to Ron.

Again, hope your migraine subsides soon.
Enjoy every sandwich

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:07 pm

traininvain wrote:Sounds like you'll be dining at the Blackstone Steak House, I've never been there but I hear it is very good (and very pricey). A friend of mine bartends there, so if your at the bar say hi to Ron.
Oops! I hadn't heard of that place. It's new.

I was thinking of Maxwell and Dunne's which I now see is actually across the town line and is in Plainview.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm

For pity's sake you need a real migraine med. Despite my housemate's trying to bully me into getting Imitrex, which my doctor-who-split-for-Chicago didn't want to prescribe for me due to possible kidney/liver damage, I am happy to have access to the Duradrin they did prescribe. Duradrin's the generic variety, Midrin is the expensive brand.

Contains Tylenol, which is useless to me on its own & comes with its very own liver damage warning anyway, a muscle relaxant & a blood vessel constrictor. Works like a charm, except you can't drive for 6 hours after taking it due to the muscle relaxant. You aren't supposed to drive, that is; you would be completely able to, until you zoned out & hit whatever.

At any rate, I recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm

If you haven't tried it already, I recommend Mahler's 4th.

Or whatever classical piece floats your boat. I know it's not much, but it's all I got at this point.

All the sympathy and pity we can spare is winging its way.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

I've had a toothache but not a migraine, so I sympathize to whatever extent they are simlarly incapacitating. I hope silvercamaro's treatment works for you, and I'm glad it works for her.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:28 pm

I get one every now and then (usually going from winter into spring, and occasionally summer into fall), but never for more than a day. Sometimes I'll get another one a couple of days after the first one, then I'm fine for months, if not a year. Dunno why, just happens that way.

Can't imagine dealing with it regularly or 48 hours straight. I would lose my mind, big baby that I am.

Hope you feel better quickly.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

a1mamacat

#12 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:02 pm

Oh, you poor dear. I can sympathize, as I get cluster headaches on occasion.

Have you checked with the pharmacy to find out if there is a "behind the counter" non prescription remedy aside from the one you are taking?

Sometimes a change in brand will work when you are saturated with the other. When I have dental problems, it was recommended that I alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen, full dose of each, two hours apart, so the pain relief never wore off, but I never exceeded the recommended dosage of each
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:05 pm

I am so sorry, I feel so bad for you.

I get migraines. I find that if I can catch them in time, I can take an Ultram, then close all of the blinds and strip down to a cotton t-shirt and underwear, then place a warm washcloth on my head, with a pillow on top of that, the migraine will go away in an hour or two. The key is shutting out light, sound and anything tactile.

If I didn't catch the migraine and I start barfing, then IV Imitrex, an anti-emetic and some heavy duty opiates usually does the trick, but that involves a trip to the ED.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:11 pm

More pity and sympathy coming from here.

And a suggestion that's too late for dinner tonight, but in your job situation I wouldn't give a damn about political correctness!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#15 Post by kayrharris » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:23 pm

I hope you were able to enjoy your dinner. I probably would have skipped it.

Since others gave prescription advice, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have a prescription for Maxalt. It dissolves under your tongue, so it gets into your system very quickly. It gets rid of my migraine in 15 minutes. It doesn't make you drowsy or unable to function for the next 6-8 hours. It's expensive....about $12 a pill, but certainly well worth, it especially if you're on day 2 of a migraine. I hope you will check into getting something to relieve them, even you don't have them often.

DevilKitty100

#16 Post by DevilKitty100 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:26 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:I really need some pity, sympathy, something.

This bites.
Although I have no personal experience with headaches of his caliber, my niece swears that when she gets migraines eating a very hot pepper stops the pain. Could be the capsaicin.

Or maybe she's still mad at me over that Santa Claus thing years ago.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#17 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:25 am

As much as I love you, and can sympathize with the migraine thing, I'm just thinking about my husband taking the business trip to Dallas and having dinner in this nice steakhouse, then coming home and whining about all the broken stuff still being broken, while I stayed home and cooked meatloaf for his niece who I was watching while everyone else was out of town and I had to get the house and food ready for Mini-me's birthday party so they could just get back into town and everything would be done, so I didn't get all the workmen here to fix all the broken stuff, and all I can think is: suck it up and enjoy your steak.

:P

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:44 am

minimetoo26 wrote:and all I can think is: suck it up and enjoy your steak.
Sheesh!

No need to take it out on wintergreen! :roll:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:46 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Sheesh!

Better him than me!

Or Troll

Or Rexer

Or nitrah

Or you

Or.....

lb13

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#20 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Sheesh!

I'm jest teasin' him. It's hard to hear wahwahwah all the time when you get all the inconvenient stuff dumped on you while everyone else goes to play....

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:49 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Sheesh!

Better him than me!

Or Troll

Or Rexer

Or nitrah

Or you

Or.....

But all of us deserve it! Wintergreen doesn't...

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 am

minimetoo26 wrote: I'm jest teasin' him. It's hard to hear wahwahwah all the time when you get all the inconvenient stuff dumped on you while everyone else goes to play....
Sounds like you need a trip to WDW, mini. :)

earendel

#23 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:05 am

minimetoo26 wrote:As much as I love you, and can sympathize with the migraine thing, I'm just thinking about my husband taking the business trip to Dallas and having dinner in this nice steakhouse, then coming home and whining about all the broken stuff still being broken, while I stayed home and cooked meatloaf for his niece who I was watching while everyone else was out of town and I had to get the house and food ready for Mini-me's birthday party so they could just get back into town and everything would be done, so I didn't get all the workmen here to fix all the broken stuff, and all I can think is: suck it up and enjoy your steak.

I did that exactly one time and elwing promptly put me in my place. I've never done it since.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

eyégor
???????

#24 Post by eyégor » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Sheesh!

Better him than me!

Or Troll

Or Rexer

Or nitrah

Or you

Or.....

Speak for yourself, seethru boy! :P

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:15 am

eyégor wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Better him than me!

Or Troll

Or Rexer

Or nitrah

Or you

Or.....

Speak for yourself, seethru boy! :P
Oh yeah, Troll? Mallory is more of a man than you!*

*Pitiful attempt to get some interest in my Kid Nation thread. :roll: