Transcript 10/27/08 Marcey Rawitscher

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/27/08 Marcey Rawitscher

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:12 pm

Marcey Rawitscher
Amherst, NH
High school English and social studies teacher

Marcey still has her PAF and DD.

Topic Tree:

U.S. Presidents
Honorees
Comic Legends
History of Film
Famous Paintings
Foreign Phrases
(Bon Voyage)
(The Freedom Trail)
(Celebrity Headlines)
(Big Words)
(What's in a Name?)
(Electronics)
(Sweet Relief)
(Trained Animals)
(It's Not a Tumor)

$25K Meaning “never seen,” what French phrase refers to the odd feeling of not recognizing something that should be familiar?
A. Jamais vu
B. Toujours vu
C. Encore vu
D. Souvent vu

PAF (22)

Marcey’s PAF team consists of:

Gary from Jefferson, MD - Marcey’s brother, a Sr. Analyst at NASA
Bruce from Hoboken, NJ – Marcey’s b-i-l
Linda from Amherst, NH – a high school French teacher

PAF – Linda

Marcey reads the question and choices.
Linda: Ok, and it means never seen?
Marcey: Never seen.

She then starts to repeat the choices.
As soon as she says jamais vu, Linda says that is it.

Spoiler
A. Jamais vu (19)
$50K Which of the following is not visible in the background of Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting “Mona Lisa”?
A. A road
B. A mountain
C. An aqueduct
D. A bird

DD (33)

Marcey’s first guess is correct

Spoiler
D. A bird (33)
commercial break

$100K Commissioned by Thomas Edison, the earliest surviving copyrighted motion picture depicts a man doing what?
A. Firing a rifle
B. Sneezing
C. Biting an apple
D. Laughing

Marcey says she has no idea and decides to leave with $50K
Spoiler
B. Sneezing (31)

Answers:
$25K A. Jamais vu
$50K D. A bird
$100K B. Sneezing

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 10/27/08 Marcey Rawitscher

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:36 pm

OK. I've got 3 lifelines left after using Double Dip on $16K.

$25K-PaF time. I don't know any French-call a French teacher like she did.

$50K-ATE time for me. I've seen the painting millions of times but can't recall what else is in it besides Mona Lisa.

$100K-Finally a question I know. I learned this on Jeopardy!

So I'd be looking at $250K with ATA left. Sigh.
I'm just a game show nerd.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:06 pm

$25K: I didn't take French, so I'll have to phone a friend.

I nailed the $50K and $100K questions immediately, so I'd be looking at the $250K Comic Legends question with Double Dip intact.

slam

#4 Post by slam » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:OK. I've got 3 lifelines left after using Double Dip on $16K.

$25K-PaF time. I don't know any French-call a French teacher like she did.

$50K-ATE time for me. I've seen the painting millions of times but can't recall what else is in it besides Mona Lisa.

$100K-Finally a question I know. I learned this on Jeopardy!

So I'd be looking at $250K with ATA left. Sigh.
What makes you think that your expert (or the audience, for that matter) will help you get past the $50K question?

Also, it's rather convenient that you also happen to have a French teacher as one of your 3 PAFs.

madamemeisha

#5 Post by madamemeisha » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:29 am

Anyone who took high school French could have helped on that question. I think it's a safe PAF bet.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:43 am

madamemeisha wrote:Anyone who took high school French could have helped on that question.
Or a Roxy Music fan. In "Song for Europe," the lyric repeats "jamais, jamais, jamais, etc." Back in our day (pre-internet), us geezers had to really be curious to go to the trouble to research lyrics and references from songs. That was probably the first French word I ever looked up.

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:23 am

No problemo on the $25K and $100K, though it's surprising that I remember my French. Last formal class was in 9th grade. Definite lifeline use on the Mona Lisa question, though. My first guess would have been bird as well.

All in all, a pretty good week for teachers. Many of them left with at least $50K.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:23 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Marcey Rawitscher
Amherst, NH
High school English and social studies teacher
Marcey gets to finish her run - is that unusual? I mean other contestants at the end of special weeks don't get to finish.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Meaning “never seen,” what French phrase refers to the odd feeling of not recognizing something that should be familiar?
A. Jamais vu
B. Toujours vu
C. Encore vu
D. Souvent vu

PAF (22)

Marcey’s PAF team consists of:

Gary from Jefferson, MD - Marcey’s brother, a Sr. Analyst at NASA
Bruce from Hoboken, NJ – Marcey’s b-i-l
Linda from Amherst, NH – a high school French teacher

PAF – Linda

Marcey reads the question and choices.
Linda: Ok, and it means never seen?
Marcey: Never seen.

She then starts to repeat the choices.
As soon as she says jamais vu, Linda says that is it.

Spoiler
A. Jamais vu (19)
I wish I could remember where I first learned about this - I'm positive it was in a sci-fi novel, but I have no idea which one or who wrote it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Which of the following is not visible in the background of Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting “Mona Lisa”?
A. A road
B. A mountain
C. An aqueduct
D. A bird

DD (33)

Marcey’s first guess is correct

Spoiler
D. A bird (33)
Pretty easy question for this level, IMO.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K Commissioned by Thomas Edison, the earliest surviving copyrighted motion picture depicts a man doing what?
A. Firing a rifle
B. Sneezing
C. Biting an apple
D. Laughing

Marcey says she has no idea and decides to leave with $50K
Spoiler
B. Sneezing (31)
Another one I knew but don't remember where I learned it. With no lifelines remaining I can understand why Marcey didn't go for it. All in all the teachers did pretty well for themselves, whic h I applaud.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 am

Here's a nice, long article about Marcey's appearance.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbc ... 5/-1/XML15
Rawitscher's trip to "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" started in her classroom. Last spring, she told students about her broken roof and flooded basement when a few students suggested she go on the game show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" to help pay the bills.

Rawitscher looked into that option, and reasoned that the travel and hotel accommodations for a trip to California, where the show is taped, would risk losing money. Realizing that "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" tapes in New York City, Rawitscher looked into that show instead.
Second choice to 5th Grader... :roll:

slam

#10 Post by slam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 am

Estonut wrote:
madamemeisha wrote:Anyone who took high school French could have helped on that question.
Or a Roxy Music fan. In "Song for Europe," the lyric repeats "jamais, jamais, jamais, etc." Back in our day (pre-internet), us geezers had to really be curious to go to the trouble to research lyrics and references from songs. That was probably the first French word I ever looked up.
Showing my age, the first French lyrics I looked up (by asking my 5th grade French teach :oops:) were from Lady Marmalade. "Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir?"

French was always my worst subject but I took it from 5th grade to halfway through 10th grade. All of these words, jamais, toujours, encore and souvent are very basic vocabulary that has still stuck with me (never, always, again, often). So, I agree with madammeisha that anyone who took a moderate amount of French could have helped on this one. I'm curious, what's the Spanish word for "never"? Is it a close enough cognate that someone who took some Spanish could help with this one?

elwoodblues

#11 Post by elwoodblues » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 pm

slam wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Showing my age, the first French lyrics I looked up (by asking my 5th grade French teach :oops:) were from Lady Marmalade. "Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir?"

French was always my worst subject but I took it from 5th grade to halfway through 10th grade. All of these words, jamais, toujours, encore and souvent are very basic vocabulary that has still stuck with me (never, always, again, often). So, I agree with madammeisha that anyone who took a moderate amount of French could have helped on this one. I'm curious, what's the Spanish word for "never"? Is it a close enough cognate that someone who took some Spanish could help with this one?
The Spanish word for "never" is "nunca" which would not have helped here.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:29 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
slam wrote:
Estonut wrote: Or a Roxy Music fan. In "Song for Europe," the lyric repeats "jamais, jamais, jamais, etc." Back in our day (pre-internet), us geezers had to really be curious to go to the trouble to research lyrics and references from songs. That was probably the first French word I ever looked up.

The Spanish word for "never" is "nunca" which would not have helped here.
But Catalan is "mai" which is close.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.