Transcript 10/28/2008 Cathy Mostek (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/28/2008 Cathy Mostek (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Cathy Mostek
Drexel Hill, PA

Full time mom with three sons, aged 8, 6, 4.

Wants to go to Paris with her husband, but has a more pressing issue. Everytime it rains, the basement floods and she wants to set up a playroom for the boys there.

Topic Tree:

Good Gosh Almighty
It’s a Gas
First Ladies
Late-Night TV
Made in America
Taking Sides
Hoops
Bad Language
Fair Game
Celebrity Chefs
(What’s Ailing You)
(The Sugar Bowl)
(Them’s the Rules)
(Go-Getters)
(The Natural World)

Expert is introduced, Robin Meade, host of CNN’s “Morning Express.”

$2000- Popularized by celebrity chef Rachael Ray, the term "EVOO" is an abbreviation for a type of what?
A. Vinegar B. Salt
C. Oil D. Pepper

Spoiler
C. Oil (24)

$4000- In her 2007 book "Fair Game," author Valerie Plame Wilson chronicles the much-publicized end of her career as a what?
A. TV anchorwoman B. CIA agent
C. Air Force pilot D. Newspaper reporter

ATA called at :22
Spoiler
Results A-6% B-75% C-4% D-15%
B. CIA agent (13)
$8000- A children's chorus sings the iconic double-negative, "We don't need no education" in a 1979 song by what band?
A. Pink Floyd B. The Who
C. Led Zeppelin D. Queen

Note: She sings a lyric but this is muted out. (They would have to pay royalties to air it)
Spoiler
A. Pink Floyd (15)
$16K- Which of the following is an apt "summary" of the 2008 NBA Finals?
A. LeBron vs Yao B. Dwyane vs. Dirk
C. Kobe vs Kevin D. Shaquille vs. Carmelo

She says she knows Kobe is Kobe Bryant from the Lakers and it was Lakers-Celtics, but does not know Kevin

PAF called at :07
Choices
- friend Bill, Cedar Grove, NJ
- husband Tom, Drexel Hill, PA
- friend Tom, Lunenburg???, MA (darned low-quality DVR setting)
Spoiler
call to husband Tom. Tom also knows Lakers-Celts. At end Tom says Kevin Garnett, Celtics

C. Kobe vs Kevin (:04)
Commercial break

They show a picture of his three young sons.

$25K- Because its coasts and borders form a roughly six-sided shape, what European country is often referred to as "The Hexagon"?
A. Poland B. Spain
C. Germany D. France

Ask the expert called at :20
Spoiler
Robin did not know nor offered a guess.

Cathy was deciding between two of them (and likely wondering if sure enough to double-dip)

Cathy allowed time to run out saying she would walk with $16K

Answer:
D. France

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 10/28/2008 Cathy Mostek (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:53 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- Which of the following is an apt "summary" of the 2008 NBA Finals?
Another Merry Man shout-out. :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- Because its coasts and borders form a roughly six-sided shape, what European country is often referred to as "The Hexagon"?
A. Poland B. Spain
C. Germany D. France
This was a really evil question. Technically, there are three countries on this list that resemble a six-sided shape. Spain and Germany resemble concave hexagons. I got this question right, but I still protest it.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:53 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- Because its coasts and borders form a roughly six-sided shape, what European country is often referred to as "The Hexagon"?
A. Poland B. Spain
C. Germany D. France
This was a really evil question. Technically, there are three countries on this list that resemble a six-sided shape. Spain and Germany resemble concave hexagons. I got this question right, but I still protest it.
I wonder who commonly calls it The Hexagon? I agree it was a WWOQ for $25K.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:23 am

16k would have ATA on the sports question.

25K I was strongly leaning to France but might have Double dipped
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Cathy Mostek
Drexel Hill, PA

Full time mom with three sons, aged 8, 6, 4.

Wants to go to Paris with her husband, but has a more pressing issue. Everytime it rains, the basement floods and she wants to set up a playroom for the boys there.
No problem - just make the basement into an indoor pool! :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- In her 2007 book "Fair Game," author Valerie Plame Wilson chronicles the much-publicized end of her career as a what?
A. TV anchorwoman B. CIA agent
C. Air Force pilot D. Newspaper reporter

ATA called at :22
Spoiler
Results A-6% B-75% C-4% D-15%
B. CIA agent (13)
How quickly they forget...
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- A children's chorus sings the iconic double-negative, "We don't need no education" in a 1979 song by what band?
A. Pink Floyd B. The Who
C. Led Zeppelin D. Queen

Note: She sings a lyric but this is muted out. (They would have to pay royalties to air it)
Spoiler
A. Pink Floyd (15)
I wondered why the audio went dead - makes sense.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- Which of the following is an apt "summary" of the 2008 NBA Finals?

She says she knows Kobe is Kobe Bryant from the Lakers and it was Lakers-Celtics, but does not know Kevin
Since the only answer that has a Lakers player in it is "C", she should have gone with that answer. FWIW I couldn't remember Kevin Garnett's name, either, but would have gone with "C".
A. Poland B. Spain
C. Germany D. France

Ask the expert called at :20
Spoiler
Robin did not know nor offered a guess.

Cathy was deciding between two of them (and likely wondering if sure enough to double-dip)

Cathy allowed time to run out saying she would walk with $16K
I agree that I've never heard the term but "D" was the only one that made sense. The pressure of the clock might make it difficult to envision the countries quickly enough, however.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

doitneatly

#6 Post by doitneatly » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Cathy Mostek

Since the only answer that has a Lakers player in it is "C", she should have gone with that answer. FWIW I couldn't remember Kevin Garnett's name, either, but would have gone with "C".
Ahhh, but did she know that there weren't any Lakers players in the other answers? I doubt it.
I can understand her paranoia, but I agree with you it would've felt like a pretty safe bet. At 16K the writers aren't usually that evil. :-)
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:06 am

earendel wrote:

I'm from Boston and I couldn't come up with Garnett. Kept thinking McHale. I knew the others were from different teams, though, so would have been comfortable answering "C".
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.