Racism at it's best...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fuzzywuzzy

Racism at it's best...

#1 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:50 pm

My BFF just sent me this, and I wanted to share...if you have already heard the story, then move along there is nothing here for you to see.

fuzzy

RACISM AT IT'S BEST

The following scene took place on a BA flight between Johannesburg and London.

A White woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a Black man. Obviously disturbed by this, she called the air Hostess.

"Madam, what is the matter," the Hostess asked.
"You obviously do not see it then?" she responded. "You placed me next to a Black man I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative
seat." "Be calm please, the Hostess replied, "Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another seat is available."

The Hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later. "Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in the Economy class. I spoke to the Captain and he informed me that there is also no seats in the Business class. All the same, we still have one seat in the First class." Before the woman could say anything, the Hostess continued: "It is not usual for our company to permit someone from the Economy class to sit in the First class. However, given the circumstances, the Captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting." She turned to the Black
guy, and said, "Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in First class." At that moment, the other passengers who were shocked by what they had just witnessed stood up and applauded.
Last edited by fuzzywuzzy on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

christie1111
11:11

#2 Post by christie1111 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:57 pm

Snopes can neither confirm or deny.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnoxious.asp

But the first tellin of the story seems to be from 1998.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:58 pm

If this really happened, I am so proud.

fuzzywuzzy

#4 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:01 pm

christie1111 wrote:Snopes can neither confirm or deny.

ahhh, thanks christie1111
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:08 pm

christie1111 wrote:Snopes can neither confirm or deny.

That's just what I was looking up! :)

And, aside from some modifications in the text over the past nine years, it's a dated story that would have been much more believable before free elections in 1994 marked the end of the apartheid regime.

marrymeflyfree

#6 Post by marrymeflyfree » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:48 pm

I have heard that story a few times...sometimes it is BA, sometimes another airline. It's probably true a few times over. Stuff like that happens all the time in one form or other.

A friend of mine recently had a passenger make a similar stink on a flight to Tel Aviv. A man objected to having been seated next to this gorgeous woman who was dressed in a short-ish skirt, lots of makeup, etc. He was bitching and moaning during the whole boarding. While there may be some religious/cultural issues at play, the bitchy man was really trying to score an upgrade. But my friend found an empty seat for her next to a man who was MORE than willing to share his space with this beautiful woman - and the seat happened to be one of the most comfortable coach seats on the plane. The woman was delighted, and sent a wine split back to the bitchy man as a backhanded thank-you. :twisted:

Years ago, I was working a flight from Orlando to Houston. Not an empty seat on the whole plane. A man seated next to a very large woman started complaining...loudly, and very rudely. The poor woman had a lot of class - how she held her composure and dignity during his tirade was inspirational. I'd have upgraded her if there had been an empty seat up front. Instead, my crew and I had a note made in his profile regarding his behavior - and added a note to her's to extend all courtesies on her connection. I'm not sure if it happened, but the ground agent meeting our flight said that she would try to get her a seat up front on the next leg.

christie1111
11:11

#7 Post by christie1111 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:05 pm

marrymeflyfree wrote:I have heard that story a few times...sometimes it is BA, sometimes another airline. It's probably true a few times over. Stuff like that happens all the time in one form or other.

A friend of mine recently had a passenger make a similar stink on a flight to Tel Aviv. A man objected to having been seated next to this gorgeous woman who was dressed in a short-ish skirt, lots of makeup, etc. He was bitching and moaning during the whole boarding. While there may be some religious/cultural issues at play, the bitchy man was really trying to score an upgrade. But my friend found an empty seat for her next to a man who was MORE than willing to share his space with this beautiful woman - and the seat happened to be one of the most comfortable coach seats on the plane. The woman was delighted, and sent a wine split back to the bitchy man as a backhanded thank-you. :twisted:

Years ago, I was working a flight from Orlando to Houston. Not an empty seat on the whole plane. A man seated next to a very large woman started complaining...loudly, and very rudely. The poor woman had a lot of class - how she held her composure and dignity during his tirade was inspirational. I'd have upgraded her if there had been an empty seat up front. Instead, my crew and I had a note made in his profile regarding his behavior - and added a note to her's to extend all courtesies on her connection. I'm not sure if it happened, but the ground agent meeting our flight said that she would try to get her a seat up front on the next leg.
I remember waiting to check in on a Hawai'i to NY area flight ( I think it was United stopping in Chicago that time) and there was an incredibly grumpy guy in front of me. Complained long, loud and rudely about how he and his newlywed wife had seats no where near each other and yada yada yada....

Gate agent explained that it was a very full flight and as much as he wanted to help.....

I was next. Husband1111 and I had 1 y.o. daughter1111 with us and no ticket for her since we didn't need to buy one for her yet. I really felt sorry for the gate agent, said so and commiserated a little.

Oddly enough, there were 3 seats in a row for us.

And jerk guy and his newlywed sat very far apart on the plane.

When will they learn?

Yeah, you are right, never.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

marrymeflyfree

#8 Post by marrymeflyfree » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:50 pm

christie1111 wrote:Oddly enough, there were 3 seats in a row for us.
Funny how that happens, eh? :D

People usually get what they give - good, bad, or indifferent. I considered explaining this to a passenger of mine yesterday, but instead I just told him rather bluntly that he was behaving like a jackass. I can't believe that I actually said that, but it was true...and everyone seated around him laughed. One woman even clapped a little bit.

Some women get emotional and weepy in pregnancy. As for me...I am getting more blunt. My already low bullshit tolerance has gone bone dry.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#9 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:34 am

marrymeflyfree wrote: Some women get emotional and weepy in pregnancy. As for me...I am getting more blunt. My already low bullshit tolerance has gone bone dry.
It is a survival mechanism, training you for:

Labor and delivery

Toddler years

Teenage years

Inlaws interfering in your child rearing

Life